Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How do you plan to toggle things without the cursor?

Guy Goodbody posted:

Speaking of Captain Toad, do the diamonds and extra challenge things in each level do anything? I know you need a certain number of diamonds to progress at certain points, but beyond that do they unlock anything, like extra levels or costumes?

You need to collect a certain number of diamonds to open later stages in a book or whatever you want to call it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Target canceled my orders.:smith:

Guy Goodbody posted:

Speaking of Captain Toad, do the diamonds and extra challenge things in each level do anything? I know you need a certain number of diamonds to progress at certain points, but beyond that do they unlock anything, like extra levels or costumes?

I believe you need all the diamonds to unlock the very final levels.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 16, 2018

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You have to do all of both to unlock the final level.

The time trials and pixel toads are just for fun.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Target canceled my orders.:smith:
Target canceled my friend's order and she called to complain and they said there was nothing they could do... then she kept complaining and they just gave it to her at the crazy discount price.

And she bought like $300 of furniture at nearly half price.

So depending on how much patience you have for dealing with customer service, you could still get your stuff.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Regy Rusty posted:

um excuse me they put a stamp on your book

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Macaluso posted:

um excuse me they put a stamp on your book

You're right I don't mean to be dismissive. I did absolutely everything in the Wii U version and still wished there was more.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I would've jumped on those crazy coupons if I hadn't just bought Octopath and didn't need to spend more money right now.

Oh well, Octopath is gonna keep me occupied for the rest of the year at the rate I'm going.

This is kind of where I'm at, I saw the whole situation and just thought "oh, what would I even buy?" and decided to do other things.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

nathan barnatt's youtube channel is so good. :allears:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

American McGay posted:

It's like BOTW in the sense that screenshots and even videos don't really do it justice, but if you're sitting down playing it you don't notice it at all and it's actually quite enjoyable.

The lighting contrast is still pretty over the top at times. I don't think I can make my character not glow like the sun when they're in caves or other darkened areas with burning light sources unless I make the screen excessively dark overall.

I wish you could toggle random encounters as long as your level is at or higher than the area's difficulty. IE: Don't let a level 1 person turn off encounters and rush to level 50 areas to loot end game gear at zero risk (not that it's too difficult atm, especially if you have the passives to reduce encounters) but if I'm level 35 and want to not fight stuff in the level <30 areas then that'd be lovely.

Your Computer posted:

ah, yes

the best and worst parts of octopath

I know Tressa's overrated but I don't think she's the worst part of the game.

Modus Pwnens posted:

For one thing, it's ASTOUNDING, full caps, that they didn't localize the Secret of Mana collection.

Yeah that will always be bullshit. Especially with the low-budget 3D Secret of Mana remake that they then sold. Localization costs can't be that bad and even if it 'only' sold a couple hundred thousand copies it'd still likely be a net gain for them as well as finally letting us have an official English version of SD3.

Yet they gave us the Romancing SaGa 2 remaster.

I said come in! posted:

I miss SNES, and PSX square. Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, all of their PSX games pretty much.

I remember when the Squaresoft and Enix merger was announced, thinking "they're going to combine and make some non-stop amazing games with all that talent." How naive I was... :sigh:

Libluini posted:

Or do start with her, especially if you played Pokemón a lot -you'll spend a lot of time capturing enemies and letting them do battle for you. (I may be biased though because I'm playing the game in German, so no old-timey English for me!)

But it's also true that Tressa is the best!

The downside to H'aanit is that if you're exploring a lot she's going to suffer for it. I have Cyrus and Therion dropping an ungodly amount of damage on enemies (I fully cleared a level 50 dungeon earlier, with a team in the 25-33 range) because I have a ton of badass gear for my party due to exploration/theft. H'aanit, being only in the mid 20s, has less than a 30% chance to capture one of those enemies when it's in the red, stunned, and she uses a maxxed out capture. Maybe I could try to mercy strike one down to 1 HP too but that's playing a dangerous game because if given the opportunity those enemies can still murder my party.

Meanwhile Primrose can allure NPCs (at a maybe 30% success rate) who cast 3-hit elemental spells and are themselves more than a match for those same high-level monsters I'm fighting. I still hold some hope that she'll shine eventually but in the face of party members using gear from areas 2x their level her pokemans are... less than impressive.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Has anyone jumped ship from PS4 Fortnite to Switch? I’m still holding out but it sucks not being able to link my PS4 to the Switch version. PS4 has my favorite controller ever and better performance/graphics but the possibilities of portable Fortnite are awesome. I honestly don’t care much about gyro controls even though I’m enjoying them for the most part in BotW so that’s not a huge draw.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I started playing on Switch but the gyro is really good and the game doesn’t feel as horribly unbalanced for me now when I’m in games with PC players.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DLC Inc posted:

it helps that the combat section of Octopath isn't standard "hammer the same abilities/Attack button forever" fare as older JRPGs, but relies on actual strategy within classes/subclasses and being able to break defenses and understand the abilities/weaknesses of enemies through trial and error, research, and the natural skills of your party. It's probably even better than Bravely games in terms of how satisfying combat+skill acquisition goes and so far it's never been as braindead as some other JRPGs tend to get with even random battles. There isn't as many random scrub battles as say FF6 but most battles, especially as things scale up in higher-danger areas, feel very genuinely engaging and fun.

I forget where it was mentioned, but "if you're about to break an enemy but they already acted, guard instead and do it on the next turn" is such a huge thing in Octopath. Why? Because breaking an enemy means they lose their action for the current turn and next turn. As a result, if they already acted they lose one turn;s actions. If they haven't acted yet they lose two turns worth of actions. That can be huge when you're fighting bosses (or enemies far above your own level). Also means you'll have an extra BP on everyone once the enemy's in break mode, allowing for even more hurt to be put on them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
From a friend:

quote:

Just got off the phone with CS-- was super nice to the gal who wound up having to escalate me past Order Verification and up to yet another dept, where I spoke with another gal: "That promotion was intended for select guests, and it somehow leaked to Facebook and Twitter. We have been instructed to not honor any of those promo codes."

Looks like the jig is up, folks. :(

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Manky posted:

Amazon has a bundle on:

Sounds cool but lists at 340 but 299 apparently?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yet they gave us the Romancing SaGa 2 remaster.

I'm still puzzling over that decision. Secret of Mana is something even old grandpas know about, while mentioning Romancing SaGa 2 would only earn me confused looks.

I know anecdotes aren't reliable, but I'm fairly sure Secret of Mana is well-known enough to earn a port or two. Hell, when I bought my sister one of those tiny SNES-things for Christmas, she was overjoyed to find Secret of Mana as a part of the games on it -she originally only wanted something to play Super Mario World on.

But instead of translating the Secret of Mana collection, we get a bad remake and an super-obscure game. :confused:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
https://twitter.com/darkhorsecomics/status/1018955792999804928?s=21
Stop doing this to me nintendo, I can’t keep buying Nintendo books

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Calaveron posted:

Maybe this will be the one that says where in the timeline the game is.:v:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Target just canceled half my order from last night, should have put it in for a store pick up. Really doubt my new Smash preorder doesn't get canceled.

vogonity
Aug 1, 2005

Buglord
Would one of these cards work better for the Switch over another?

SanDisk 128 GB micro SD Memory Card for Fire Tablets and Fire TV $23.88

Sandisk Ultra 128GB Micro SDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter $26.36

SanDisk 128GB microSDXC UHS-I card for Nintendo Switch $34.99

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Libluini posted:

I'm still puzzling over that decision. Secret of Mana is something even old grandpas know about, while mentioning Romancing SaGa 2 would only earn me confused looks.

I know anecdotes aren't reliable, but I'm fairly sure Secret of Mana is well-known enough to earn a port or two. Hell, when I bought my sister one of those tiny SNES-things for Christmas, she was overjoyed to find Secret of Mana as a part of the games on it -she originally only wanted something to play Super Mario World on.

But instead of translating the Secret of Mana collection, we get a bad remake and an super-obscure game. :confused:

Non-linear open world JRPGs are in vogue right now and that's SaGa's entire gimmick. So they're pushing SaGa again and how else are they supposed to make it not obscure to a Western audience other than actually releasing the games? There's 3 remakes/new games coming overseas and Octopath Traveler is essentially a SaGa game with a different name.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Spacebump posted:

Target just canceled half my order from last night, should have put it in for a store pick up. Really doubt my new Smash preorder doesn't get canceled.

FWIW I set two 3DS games for pickup and received an email at 8:05 this morning saying I could pick them up, but a store manager canceled the order exactly one hour later. I just wanted to get DQ7 and the newest Layton game for my girlfriend before a month-long trip to India. Looks like those who chose shipping are more likely to get their stuff.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The SoM collection is probably emulation that doesn't fix the game breaking bug in DS3 which was the main reason it never came over originally too lol

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Bloodplay it again posted:

FWIW I set two 3DS games for pickup and received an email at 8:05 this morning saying I could pick them up, but a store manager canceled the order exactly one hour later. I just wanted to get DQ7 and the newest Layton game for my girlfriend before a month-long trip to India. Looks like those who chose shipping are more likely to get their stuff.

Seems like it's completely random. Some people are getting their in store pickups, others are getting things shipped, while some people get cancelled. Looks like you got a manager who actually looked at how much you paid and realized it was a goofup.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Bloodplay it again posted:

My experience was the exact opposite, I chose store pickup and had my order there when I got there. I just had to be there exactly at 8 because I knew it would get canceled if I didn't. I think people who chose store pickup and were proactive are the most likely to get their stuff, followed by online orders that got canceled who then called in to complain.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I picked my store pickup up at like 1pm. :shobon:

It does seem weird how random it is though. A guy who tried to get Octopath for $34 (The 20off50 code and one single 15% code) got his order cancelled but another dude who got a half price Switch (stacking at least 4-5 15% codes) got his shipped. :iiam:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'm still waiting on my order to get shipped.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

The $26.36 is the best.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Regy Rusty posted:

alright. I'll do it, I'll unlock all the levels

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Looper posted:

i'm kind of horrified there aren't goons in here talking about the ending already because that means it's going to take me months to finish

There's an Octopath thread

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

The Lobster posted:

My experience was the exact opposite, I chose store pickup and had my order there when I got there. I just had to be there exactly at 8 because I knew it would get canceled if I didn't. I think people who chose store pickup and were proactive are the most likely to get their stuff, followed by online orders that got canceled who then called in to complain.

I only really have conjecture from SA and a Discord group I'm in, but the majority of the people in Discord managed to get all of their items shipped. I should have just stayed up a few more hours to go in when it opened but I was beat and needed to sleep. Congrats to all of you that made out like bandits.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm still waiting on my order to get shipped.

Seriously, it's past 5pm now.

Just tell me if it's canceled or not Target!

Anyone else in the same boat?

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Calaveron posted:

I think the picture was free in every version of the Japanese version. At the very least, it seemed to be free with all of the launch copies.

The spirit orb is pretty cool though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

They haven’t cancelled my preorder for Pokémon yet but I’m fully expecting it.:smith:

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Yeah, my Red Dead 2 is still alive, but i'm expecting the hammer soon.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I didn't preorder poo poo. I ordered Super Mario Odyessy and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Still in "preparing shipment".

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

punk rebel ecks posted:

I didn't preorder poo poo. I ordered Super Mario Odyessy and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Still in "preparing shipment".

We’re sorry to inform you that we had to cancel an item from your order ###########. Due to an issue on our end, we displayed incorrect pricing for this item. You can see more details about this issue below.

You have not been charged for the canceled item. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If you'd like to try to reorder, visit your order details. Thank you for being our guest.
View order details
Canceled item
down arrow
Nintendo® Switch™ with Gray Joy-Con™
Nintendo® Switch™ with Gray Joy-Con™
qty: 1
color: Black
What can I do about this?
down arrow

Despite our best efforts, we sometimes display the wrong price for an item. We always verify prices when we ship an order, so if an item's correct price is lower than what's displayed on our website, we would charge you the lower amount and ship you the item.

However, there are instances where we have to cancel the order: if the item's correct price is higher than the displayed price, if the item is no longer available, or if the item info was found to be inaccurate. If any of those conditions are met, we would cancel your order and notify you by email. This pricing policy is posted in the help section of our website and is also included in your order confirmation email.

If you'd like to try and place a new order for those items, simply select reorder next to each item on your order details page. If you don’t see the reorder option, the item(s) may not be available. If you have any questions, feel free to call Target Guest Services at 1-800-591-3869.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Hollow Knight has broken me. I admit defeat. After beating my face against Soul Master a good half a dozen times last night, I tried again tonight. Another handful of deaths before I got his pattern down and started feeling like a badass, THEN I BEAT HIM. OR SO I THOUGHT! No, he breaks through the floor and starts dive bombing you over and over. I didn't even realize what was happening and then WHOOPSIE I'm dead again. And it doesn't checkpoint you after that so I had to treck ALL the way back and beat him AGAIN. Then TWO more times, dying after the GOTCHA phase. Then one of those teleporting dudes on the way to him double killed me on the way to pick up my Shade and I died again.

I'm done. There is only so much frustration I can take. Quality game and all. The lose all your money thing if you die twice is just too much of a gut punch.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
I beat him a few days ago and I beat him with 1 life remaining on my 3rd try and was doing a victory celebration when he came back to life and dive bombed me.

I died more on his 2nd form until I realized my habit of trying to heal was getting me killed. Just dash around until he stops moving then you get a few hits in. Rinse and repeat.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Just like in Dark Souls, Hollow Knight makes you feel bad for losing money despite the fact that it's worthless and you can always get more real easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Yeah, I thought the death mechanic would really frustrate me but at this point it’s “eh, I don’t wanna go all the way back down, there goes 500 geos.” And I am not far in the game at all

• Locked thread