Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Skypie posted:

My 8th grade science teacher lost one of her sons to meningitis when he was only like 19 or 20. :smith:

I'm one of the lucky ones, they caught mine quick enough.

It's weird because the viral version is no worse than the flu, but the bacterial one is much worse (but also curable). I personally would like it like that if I had to choose, the viral version being uncurable but mild, bacterial nasty but curable.

Also platelets continue to be adorables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
There’s also a fungal variety which is pretty nasty.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nine of Eight posted:

There’s also a fungal variety which is pretty nasty.

Yeah. Meningitis is more a "symptom" than an actual disease.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Zwiebel posted:

I was thinking that the main protagonist red blood cell might become a problem given how lovely she is at her job. So I went and looked up how long red blood cells live anyways, because I wasn't aware of any conditions related to specifically red blood cell mutations causing a problem in the body.
But apparently they don't have a very long life span, so it's fine for the most part if some of them are a bit lovely.
Still gonna go and hit the books tonight.

Thanks edutainment.

I was under the impression that red blood cells primarily worked by just diffusing randomly, guided only by the constriction of vessels and other surrounding structures, so our Red is the normal one if anything. They can also release chemicals that dilate vessels to promote increased blood flow, so asking nearby cells for directions is the analogue.

I also learned that, because they release free radicals when damaged, red blood cells are flesh-meltingly poisonous to bacteria. They also have no way to produce DNA, RNA, or proteins, and so are immune to virus infection.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Zomborgon posted:

I was under the impression that red blood cells primarily worked by just diffusing randomly, guided only by the constriction of vessels and other surrounding structures, so our Red is the normal one if anything. They can also release chemicals that dilate vessels to promote increased blood flow, so asking nearby cells for directions is the analogue.

I also learned that, because they release free radicals when damaged, red blood cells are flesh-meltingly poisonous to bacteria. They also have no way to produce DNA, RNA, or proteins, and so are immune to virus infection.

Sadly not parasites like malaria though.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Just when I thought that the fight between RBC and literally Cell was getting boring. Platelet don't care, Platelet don't give a poo poo

Maybe Red and White die in that scab before the next episode. And the platelets become the new main character. Just as planned...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Amuys posted:

Sadly not parasites like malaria though.

Yup, and then you get mutations that lead to sickle cell anemia. Those who have one recessive gene are immune to malaria, but both get the shaft wholly.

Also, technically RBCs are NOT cells. They lack a nucleus. It's one of those "well we've called them that for so long... why change it" things.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign-body_giant_cell

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I want to see what a cell with sickle cell looks like in the Cells at Work art style

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

thetoughestbean posted:

I want to see what a cell with sickle cell looks like in the Cells at Work art style

There are those zombie cells in the OP

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I think those are cancer cells.

Sharkopath posted:

The monster of the day format means this body is super unhealthy too, considering how many times it almost dies.

Nah, invasion by bacteria is a super routine thing. The rare few times (proportionally) where they get the upper hand are when you actually feel the effects of it.

btw:

Megakaryocyte-sensei.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Zomborgon posted:

Kyte posted:

I think those are cancer cells.

How can they be anything but infected by viruses?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Lurking Haro posted:

How can they be anything but infected by viruses?

Zomborgon posted:

e: And they don't divide, so it's probably not cancer either- they are instread made by marrow, and cancerous bone marrow doesn't produce red blood cells at all.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pretty sure the ones with "Cell" written on their shirts are just generic non-circulatory system cells.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

Pretty sure the ones with "Cell" written on their shirts are just generic non-circulatory system cells.

Oh, the red viruses acting as head-eaters threw me off, they looked like RBC hats in passing. It'd be a hell of a lot of work to translate all those kanji labels, so I guess I'll just have to wait for it to come up in dialogue or find translations myself.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Zomborgon posted:

Oh, the red viruses acting as head-eaters threw me off, they looked like RBC hats in passing. It'd be a hell of a lot of work to translate all those kanji labels, so I guess I'll just have to wait for it to come up in dialogue or find translations myself.

Amazon does have the books in digital.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Zomborgon posted:

Nah, that's Influenza aka, the Flu virus.

It's a shame we probably wont get to see the hive of scum and villainy that is the intestines. All manner of bacteria there.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I really like Pointless Anime Osmosis Jones

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Also if those are indeed infected blood cells in the OP, this person goes fuckin' septic at some point.
So, yeah. No bueno.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Well it’s no drama if the person is young and healthy, hence you make the person a slovenly disgusting piece of poo poo

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

Well it’s no drama if the person is young and healthy, hence you make the person a slovenly disgusting piece of poo poo

Or a sick girl in a hospital.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I really like Pointless Anime Osmosis Jones

Osmosis Jojo's

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

The body withstands countless bacterial attacks every day. Almost all of them are pretty much negligible though as the immune system is functioning as it's supposed to. When actual physical symptoms appear, that's an indicator that the cellular immune system is reaching the max of its capabilities and needs to employ other, larger scale methods, to handle things. This can be at the cost of other parts of the body like fevers or allergic reactions.

Think about this: How many germs and bacteria do you think you inhale on a given day? How many germs do you think enter your body through your mouth from food or other things put in there? 99% of the time, there's pretty much no indicator that your body has been repelling all sorts of invasions around the clock.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
So I went and read up the first chapter of Black (free here, japanese only) and boy, if the regular version starts getting dark I don't even know what kind of hell this ends up descending into. Seems like this one takes place in the body of a smoking, drinking middle-aged salaryman.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Xelkelvos posted:

In the grim darkness of the human body, there is only war.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/8z6vpb/hataraku_saibou_ep_1_doctors_notes/

Analysis of medical stuff in Cells at Work. Pretty neat.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
lol that picture of the bacterium hiding inside a red blood cell.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Osmosis Jojo's

I wish Araki didn't remove the option to let stands reinact the Fantastic Voyage.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Considerably less cute animations of cells at work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR80Huxp4y8

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

oh yeah, I did notice the anime kept the jacket detail

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Reallycoolname posted:

So I went and read up the first chapter of Black (free here, japanese only) and boy, if the regular version starts getting dark I don't even know what kind of hell this ends up descending into. Seems like this one takes place in the body of a smoking, drinking middle-aged salaryman.

Jesus christ that first chapter :stare:

The WBC's open shirt kinda detracts from it though. On the other hand, distracting you from the sheer bleakness of existence in that body might be a good idea.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 19, 2018

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Note that the platelets are produced by the Megakaryocyte, the rest are just maturation.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

:kimchi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFuOULy4N3g

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
backwards-hat platelet is the real star of this show

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
https://twitter.com/s_visor/status/1020147972795858944

:kimchi:

Twitter account is NSFW though.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
There's some neat extra stuff that differ from the manga like Neutrophil losing his boot, some extra memories in dendritic cell's book, and showing the cells get infected with the virus.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

all the cells are a little shy/scared of macrophage lest she take a bite out of them

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

First episode had Sneeze 1 and now they are at 25. The counter has to be reset regularly since I doubt this can be a baby's body. The body had an Influenza B infection before or was vaccinated since it recognized it, but not A or that particular strain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I figured it'd be a young child's body.