Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion will be the only company releasing physical media at some point in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Eventually they’re gunna have to realize 90s and 00s comedy exists

Tommy Boy, a seminal work

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Egbert Souse posted:

Just pre-ordered my first UHD - 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Don't even have a player yet, but I have until October.
I don't have a player yet either, but I'm at least gonna buy it for the BR even if I can't play the UHD version.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

We need a stacked FREAKED Blu-ray that matches the two disc DVD special edition, although the Blu-ray has the greatest feature of all: it just restarts the movie after you finish watching it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

GonSmithe posted:

Princess Bride was already part of Criterion, it got released on Laserdisc.

That's being a bit pedantic.

Cloks posted:

How do you feel about RoboCop being in the collection?

Correct answer: The commentary track is great.

What's RoboCop?

CelticPredator posted:

My wish is for junky cinema to take over criterion. I want to live in the universe where that Criteron Kindergarten cop Freddy Got Fingered is real.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

lol Disney owns Freddie Got Fingered now

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Egbert Souse posted:

Can't wait for the FGF expanded universe.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

This is perfect.

Origami Dali posted:

Can't wait for the FGF expanded universe.

Recast Thanos with Rip Torn.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would buy two copies of FFG Criteron.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I don't just sincerely believe that Freddy Got Fingered belongs in the Criterion Collection, but with John Waters movies now being released by them I don't even think it would be that out of place anymore.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

On a random note, I finally got my gravity Falls Blu rays. Pretty good commentaries so far. And the lithograph is quite big, which was nice. A little bent though but oh well.

I hope the one they lost in the mail wasn’t signed...

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Walt Disney Company now also owns:

Zardoz
Beyond the Valley of the Dolls
Myra Breckinridge
Zorro, the Gay Blade

(Criterion should make Freddie Got Fingered spine #1000 just to gently caress with everyone who is expecting it to be some big title like Citizen Kane or The Godfather)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

On a random note, I finally got my gravity Falls Blu rays. Pretty good commentaries so far. And the lithograph is quite big, which was nice. A little bent though but oh well.

I hope the one they lost in the mail wasn’t signed...

Same for us, one side of the tube was dented. My wife and I spent a few days watching each episode with commentary. (Make sure you press down on the Double Dipper commentary to get that second commentary). It's great to have a bluray with easter eggs again. Just disappointed that the pilot apartently isn't on the disk.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The pilot is easy to find on YouTube btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIyWbRU4K4M

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

I’m shocked that Criterion hasn’t figured out how to release True Stories on blu

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

zenintrude posted:

I’m shocked that Criterion hasn’t figured out how to release True Stories on blu

They're working on it, per the DP on Twitter.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CPL593H posted:

I don't just sincerely believe that Freddy Got Fingered belongs in the Criterion Collection, but with John Waters movies now being released by them I don't even think it would be that out of place anymore.

Same. What else released around the same time even comes close to what it was doing? I think Waters would also agree.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

What do you call Ghost World and Punch Drunk

Slacker too

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Cloks posted:

How do you feel about RoboCop being in the collection?

Correct answer: The commentary track is great.

Before I heard about the new restoration I was sure Princess Bride was a RoboCop situation: the latest RoboCop blu has all the features of the criterion disk, so criterion doing it would just be redundant.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

The Walt Disney Company now also owns:

Zardoz
Beyond the Valley of the Dolls
Myra Breckinridge
Zorro, the Gay Blade

(Criterion should make Freddie Got Fingered spine #1000 just to gently caress with everyone who is expecting it to be some big title like Citizen Kane or The Godfather)

I thought the 20th Century Fox thing fell through. What's up with this?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CPL593H posted:

I thought the 20th Century Fox thing fell through. What's up with this?

- Disney made a stock + cash offer for $52 billion and change
- Comcast lined up a bunch of financing and came in with an all-cash offer of $65 billion
- After hemming and hawing a bit, Disney increased its offer to $71 billion

It now appears that Comcast will not attempt to top the Disney offer, so now it resides in the purview of regulators. The deal still won't close until 12 - 18 months from now, though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Verhoeven definitely belongs in the Criterion collection, his stuff has never been fully appreciated, even when he had big hits, and the material seems to only become more and more relevant as time goes on.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Timby posted:

- Disney made a stock + cash offer for $52 billion and change
- Comcast lined up a bunch of financing and came in with an all-cash offer of $65 billion
- After hemming and hawing a bit, Disney increased its offer to $71 billion

It now appears that Comcast will not attempt to top the Disney offer, so now it resides in the purview of regulators. The deal still won't close until 12 - 18 months from now, though.

Just for fun they should be allowed to pay with money printed on the papers that were used to draft anti-trust laws.

Basebf555 posted:

Verhoeven definitely belongs in the Criterion collection, his stuff has never been fully appreciated, even when he had big hits, and the material seems to only become more and more relevant as time goes on.

I agree, but the quality of several current releases of his old movies would make this redundant.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

I agree, but the quality of several current releases of his old movies would make this redundant.

Maybe, but I'd love to see Elle at some point as a Criterion.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Timby posted:

As an attorney in DC, I'm kind of hoping to work on this merger. They're probably going to have to hire a couple hundred attorneys to get through the government approval.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Nihonniboku posted:

As an attorney in DC, I'm kind of hoping to work on this merger. They're probably going to have to hire a couple hundred attorneys to get through the government approval.

So you can destroy it from the inside?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Chiming in as another gravity falls set with a damaged lithograph. Man they really did a bad job packaging these.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

CPL593H posted:

So you can destroy it from the inside?

To find out whether Disney really has 4K scans of the unaltered original trilogy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They don’t

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Who owns the Technicolor dye print of the original movie? Where is it physically?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9gKyRmic20

You're almost certainly correct though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Who owns the Technicolor dye print of the original movie? Where is it physically?

Lucasfilm's Probably at Iron Mountain's salt mine. I think another is in the BFI archive.

A premiere quality restoration could be created by using the 1985 interpositive as an editing guide besides the opening crawl/shot (which was changed for the 1979 re-issue), then dropping the bulk of the altered 35mm camera negative. Damaged or missing footage replaced by scans of the B&W color separations, which were created prior to the negative being used for printing and subsequent edits. It might even be possible to drop in the effects shots from the VistaVision elements unless the final composite only exists in the 35mm camera negative. I know the 4K restoration of Blade Runner went back to the 65mm elements for effects shots instead of the 35mm dupes.

It would be funny if the backlash on The Last Jedi and Solo ends up being what gets the original trilogy released.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Basebf555 posted:

Would not disagree. A local theater has been doing a Verhoeven month for July. Total Recall, Showgirls, RoboCop, Basic Instinct, and Starship Troopers. Never saw Showgirls or Basic Instinct before. Showgirls was insane, and Basic Instinct is next week. It’s been a good month.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The three new VS movies look pretty boss.
The one I'm eyeing is this 70's student action film called 'Shot'
https://vinegarsyndrome.com/shop/shot-slipcover/

Look at these dudes.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Boywhiz88 posted:

Would not disagree. A local theater has been doing a Verhoeven month for July. Total Recall, Showgirls, RoboCop, Basic Instinct, and Starship Troopers. Never saw Showgirls or Basic Instinct before. Showgirls was insane, and Basic Instinct is next week. It’s been a good month.

Basic Instinct is above average neonoir with terrible sexual politics (even for the early 90s).

Also a reminder that besides being a great film-maker, Verhoeven's a great addition to any commentary track, especially paired with Arnie.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Teenage Fansub posted:

The three new VS movies look pretty boss.
The one I'm eyeing is this 70's student action film called 'Shot'
https://vinegarsyndrome.com/shop/shot-slipcover/

Look at these dudes.

Shot is definitely the one I'm most looking forward to for August.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

I, Butthole posted:

Also a reminder that besides being a great film-maker, Verhoeven's a great addition to any commentary track, especially paired with Arnie.

Oh no, not Arnold. I find him insufferable. It's all: "Here you see me rhading a horse!" "Here you see me shooting a ghan!" "Here you see me being stronk!" It's fun for about five minutes.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Steen71 posted:

Oh no, not Arnold. I find him insufferable. It's all: "Here you see me rhading a horse!" "Here you see me shooting a ghan!" "Here you see me being stronk!" It's fun for about five minutes.

The Conan commentary is amazing.

Every time the director describes any part of the production, Arnold chimes in with "I know" like it was for his benefit. It's a good drinking game.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Lizard Combatant posted:

The Conan commentary is amazing.

Every time the director describes any part of the production, Arnold chimes in with "I know" like it was for his benefit. It's a good drinking game.

WOHW I GHET LAID A LOT IN DIS MOVIE.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Arnie commentaries are great because they always seem like the first time he's ever seen the movie, and it's very clear that he's a guy who fast forwards to fight scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

I, Butthole posted:

The best is Arnie's commentary for Total Recall... when his character grabs an innocent guy to use for a human shield, Arnie laughs and exclaims, "total disregard for human life!"