Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Max posted:

I think Anpu is one of those weathervane players that has a really unconventional style that bucks a lot of assumptions about logical play and draws attention just by being him. He reminds me of Tobbs at the moment.

i don't get the tobbs ref sorry.

anyway this doesn't really tell me why you think he's town though. like, scum make bad arguments just as much as bad town do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Beetphyxious posted:

a day 2 lurker lynch seems kinda weak

you absolutely don't feel anpu at all?

I wouldn’t say that. I spent of today certain he was town and had some sort of result so i’m having a hard time processing this.

##unvote

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Beetphyxious posted:

i don't get the tobbs ref sorry.

anyway this doesn't really tell me why you think he's town though. like, scum make bad arguments just as much as bad town do.

Scum are usually a lot more cautious about their reads and arguments.

Also if I’m right and caught his breadcrumb correctly, he did it in a clever way that I don’t see scum doing.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Max posted:

Scum are usually a lot more cautious about their reads and arguments.

Also if I’m right and caught his breadcrumb correctly, he did it in a clever way that I don’t see scum doing.

people also say scum lurk so we get lurker lynches regularly and we rarely get scum. people say lots of things, not all of it holds up to be true. i don't feel the argument that 'scum wouldn't do that' is sufficient to clear anyone honestly.

also i don't believe town who feel the need to breadcrumb. building in a prepared 'fall back' comes across kind of scummy, why do town need backup? if push comes to shove and you need to claim to save yourself, imo a breadcrumb doesn't aid this it hinders this. the fact you needed to plan so early on that you're going to be a lynch candidate reeks of scum thinking. why are you worried about being lynched at the start of the game? (this is another patented beet opinion like my bus driver opinions.)

anyway i feel i gave my reasoning as to why anpu came out strong and has played like he has today.

to reiterate :

the heat was on him yesterday and he wouldn't know if it had died down today, so to avoid the risk of becoming a target for day 2 you find a better target than yourself. so what better target than me (mmt), someone who was nearly a lynch candidate yesterday. go back and read the start of the day, the literal first post is suspicion on me and he slowly ramps it up overtime and unwaveringly to a vote and starts trying to tie me together with others (eg monathin) for a chain lynch. That's not townie behaviour nor is it logical play. It's calculated with a dash of desperation.

and if he succeeded in getting me lynched today, he can just shrug it off tomorrow as being 'wrong' and people will come along and say 'well scum wouldn't be that overt, would they? he must be telling the truth'

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

oh look i forgot to talk about people bread crumbing to find a specific counterpart role, but i've seen that end hilariously bad too so the cost / benefit analysis on that is not looking good based on my sample size of 1: my personal mafia experience.
so all in all i dont think breadcrumbing is a great townie defense for the reasons stated above

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

Max posted:

I've tried backing off on posting up a storm like I was day 1 because I think I dominated a lot in a way that hindered discussion and wanted to leave room for people to talk today. I don't know what to say about a watcher watching me or not, but I will say SOMEONE visited me because I received some extra flavor.

Scum picks, and I know people will jump down my throat for this, would be TNL for lurking at the moment. I had Mona and Dancer tied pretty closely to Beet and was interested in seeing how that shook out, but I don't think it's going to happen now.

interesting that you got flavour for a visit.

i also am suss of dancer, who seems to be dropping in to make sure he's added a bit of content and then disappearing.

Beetphyxious posted:

i'm super postive anpu is scum, as i've spent the last 48 or so hours laying out argument after argument.

aside from anpu i was also suss on b-minus1 and started a mini case on them, but they're response to anpu's 'no investigation result' case comes across as genuine. but i could be blindsided because it's in my favour too.

so anpu then

i could see a moat vote also but i'd rather not if there are other options

re: anpu, i lean against scum but haven't ruled out 3p. can't be sure aa visited scum, could be he just got murdered and we have an sk also. this may be a bit much tho for the size of this game.

leaving my vote as is for now.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah dancer came in strong a few hours ago but up and left again so that sucks

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

Beetphyxious posted:

oh look i forgot to talk about people bread crumbing to find a specific counterpart role, but i've seen that end hilariously bad too so the cost / benefit analysis on that is not looking good based on my sample size of 1: my personal mafia experience.
so all in all i dont think breadcrumbing is a great townie defense for the reasons stated above

agree i never breadcrumb, i have no subtlety

beet can you give any other scum reads? your tunnelling of anpu (i know i know) is the most scummy thing you've done today afaic

Max posted:

Yeah dancer came in strong a few hours ago but up and left again so that sucks

he did this yesterday just after ppl started calling him out, would vote

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Same on dancer

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Atomic Soda posted:

agree i never breadcrumb, i have no subtlety

beet can you give any other scum reads? your tunnelling of anpu (i know i know) is the most scummy thing you've done today afaic

he did this yesterday just after ppl started calling him out, would vote

ugh i did a bunch of reads when i got here and have then been head butting apnu tunnelling me ever since .

i've not really had the energy or mental acuity to case others, as i am pretty chuffed with my case on apnu and will continue to angle on that hoping to sway others to the dodgyiness

however, i'll see if i can jump again through this same hoop that max gave me at the start of the day

Max
Nov 30, 2002

1 hour to deadline, fyi

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

dancer was just mentioned so i'll start there. please enjoy my lit review:

i like dancer because they want to lynch apnu.

they also have the second lowest votes (tnl has the lowest)

day 1 is them joking a bit. self voting, forgetting it's there for quite some time.

the joking comes off someone self-conscious, but it was prompted by apnu's general questioning of peoples abilities (which as an aside was a great content generator and a way to look helpful on day 1.)

they then came out and made a post casing b-minus. it's a bit odd as there's a whole lot of waffle / disclaimer at the start of the post as to excuses for why they are not posting enough which is because their is too much noise, say he's outright avoided the discussion as to why slam's minigame was scummy but says they find it suss too, then cases b-minus.

says he likes aa summarising slams case, then catches up on the flurry of posts and goes from finding aa rather townie to finding aa rather scummy. i don't think dancer was alone in this but it's just a bit wishy washy on the readback.

dancer pointed out the oddity of apnu coming straight out and mentioning bus driver w/r/t AA's night kill.

goes back to b-minus for a vote, cases b-minus again on one or two things i raised.

hmm look dancers wishy / washy and disclaimer posts about not being super present i don't like. it's not a super tell though. also they're fairly consistent with their suspicion on b-minus. the most suss thing dancer has done is just the not be present enough and some drive by posting.

i don't feel dancer is a good candidate for a lynch.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Max posted:

1 hour to deadline, fyi

faark

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Maybe if I summon him like beetlejuice he will come back.

##unvote

Dancer Dancer ##vote Dancer

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Kill lurkers now imo so we don't have to worry about wrangling their vote in the coming game days because oh boy is it fun scrambling at the last minute two days in a row.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

Beetphyxious posted:

ugh i did a bunch of reads when i got here and have then been head butting apnu tunnelling me ever since .

i've not really had the energy or mental acuity to case others, as i am pretty chuffed with my case on apnu and will continue to angle on that hoping to sway others to the dodgyiness

however, i'll see if i can jump again through this same hoop that max gave me at the start of the day

that's a fair comment, though i thought maybe your reads may have changed through the course of today. from what you posted earlier i see you were suss on most of them.

Beetphyxious posted:

Lunch break.

My Apnu grab bag says that they seem to be breadcrumbing badly with the emphasised words, the capitalisation of certain words, etc. I raised this before and asked and received a response that yes, they are being very considered about what they post. (Which carefully constructed posts can be a scum tell. So I don't know if english is their second language or they really want to communicate something to someone else in the thread. If it's the latter more power to them. If it's just breadcrumbing, well, i'm always suss on people who feel the need to construct a narrative they can fall back on.

I also don't like the overt buddying up to you. (You didn't mind though and think they're town so it's either your first mafia game and you've been seduced by someone agreeing with you or there's behind the scene poo poo happening, whether meta or in game or whatever. Pretty positive it's not the first :)) Back to ampu persistence to frame anything i say as scummy is counter productive.

Max. Well I've already started talking about you so your next. I felt like max controlled conversation a lot in day one, but I may be remembering that wrong because I've said in a previous game that their avatar sticks out to me and I therefore read their posts in a particular way. This game it's coming off condescending, especially with your demands that people respond a particular way (hence my call back).

So in light of yours and anous angling today,
: If you guys thought mmt was scum, why didn't you lynch them? Town has lost a day by that and now you're dragging it out onto a second and expecting me to defend someone else's meta. Saying that 'its not fair to lynch someone who is being replaced' is dumb so whoever said that yesterday that's just bad reasoning. If you're town and you think someone is scum you vote for them.

Moatilita is tunneling on me so my above point stands for them too. I came into this game eyes open so if you're gonna try lynch me based on mmt play (or lack thereof), just don't pretend it's for any other reason. So jumping on apnu's bus driver confrontation argument is just bloody lazy.

Slam burgers game was a boring read but it might have been fun at the time if I was Involved. Was it an unecessary distraction and masterminded by scum like someone pointed out? (I'll have to lookup who said that later because it was dumb) not really, no. Anything that generates content is good, however the post hoc reasoning came across terrible.

B-minus1 I'd like them to write more than a sentence, consistently. They seem to be quite content piping in from the peanut gallery with comments here and there, but not much full of susbstance. Not super happy with that posting and I'd be willing to vote them.

Ice Phoenix has just as many posts playing the mini game as they don't, which is sort of lgiht on content however they give more reads than B-minus1 especially on TNL who I want to do next but I'm out of time for now.

I've killed most of my lunch break rescanning the thread and barely done half the players, and barely touched on some solid opinions. So I'll do that and the rest later.

i also saw you had suspicions of tnl

Beetphyxious posted:

oh found it, but a quick aside

i liked this post from earlier. TNL has been fairly solidly roleplaying, i'm always suss on it because i've been burnt in the past.

interesting thing about this:

i said before that you're reasoning as to why you trust them is never made explicit. i then go on to see that you're getting your rp on in your speech.

what i found super duper interesting is TNL stops roleplaying and makes this post:

so you trust them, don't have a reason why even after pointing out scum can hide by role playing and then tnl comes out to bat for you too?

interesting

are you still feeling this? sorry for the mass quotes!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

the ninth layer,

actually i did make a mini case on tnl already.

Beetphyxious posted:

oh found it, but a quick aside

i liked this post from earlier. TNL has been fairly solidly roleplaying, i'm always suss on it because i've been burnt in the past.

interesting thing about this:

i said before that you're reasoning as to why you trust them is never made explicit. i then go on to see that you're getting your rp on in your speech.

what i found super duper interesting is TNL stops roleplaying and makes this post:

The Ninth Layer posted:

I do not find Anpu particularly suspicious, nor do I feel the case on him is compelling. The main complaint about him is that he has been wishy washy, but in the first round of the game that's not too unusual, we are all still getting the measure of each other.

so you trust them, don't have a reason why even after pointing out scum can hide by role playing and then tnl comes out to bat for you too?

interesting

but again, that case paints apnu in just as bad as a light, so lets extract that for a moment.

where the gently caress is tnl today?

why did tnl stop role playing just to stick up for anpu and then completely disappear today. i'll fall out of my seat if tnl pops out to defend apnu again

would grudgingly vote tnl if we can't swing apnu

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Atomic Soda posted:

that's a fair comment, though i thought maybe your reads may have changed through the course of today. from what you posted earlier i see you were suss on most of them.

i also saw you had suspicions of tnl

are you still feeling this? sorry for the mass quotes!

lol timing.

watch out, anpu will be onto you

Max
Nov 30, 2002

It's so weird watching my arguments from yesterday play out again today and wonder why no one listened to me yesterday and what makes that different from today.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby
whoops dang you type fast beet!

Beetphyxious posted:

lol timing.

watch out, anpu will be onto you

heh did you read yesterday? :p

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i'm doing the lurkers first because lurking is also one of beet's mafia pet peeves™ and it's easier for me to get through their posts in the limited time we have left

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Max posted:

It's so weird watching my arguments from yesterday play out again today and wonder why no one listened to me yesterday and what makes that different from today.

what arguments were they?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Did you read day 1 or not?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

My biggest issue was his continued insistence to make what looked like factual statements with out any actual quotes or scrutiny of gameplay. Just "this person is scum because they are" which I took major issue with and posted a lot about and should have been 50% of what you read.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Max posted:

Did you read day 1 or not?

gently caress, yes max i did, i have a hell of a lot in my head now and i'm trying to do cases on demand after being blinded by apnu

your arguments i remember were dominated by your fight with apnu based on them gunning you from you prompting mmt. you then pushed apnu for reasoning on their scum list / hunting and it was super hard to get it out of them, you made a very particular comment to that effect. you also calling apnu out for not providing quotes of evidence for scum hunting i also remember because i made a joke to it.

i'm asking you what arguments for the sake of convenience at this point, because i'm playing this and another game with the same deadline.

Anpu
Jun 26, 2018

I have opened your two eyes. I have opened your mouth with the instruments of Anpu...

Max posted:

Your call on MMT was absolutely accurate. I originally thought it opportunistic scum using meta casing but once I realised you were sincere I understood you had it 100% correct.

From that Beetphyxious would have to work very hard to appear town, or work to discredit you. To his detriment he attempted the latter, then further buried himself by going after me. He rebutted you for two reasons, one to make your judgement appear flawed, and two to attempt to push from the outset as interested in towns good will.

Everything he has done this day is false, and I do not Trust a word from his mouth.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I don't really either but we have 40 minutes and I don't think Beet is happening tonight.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Who's even here?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

More blood for the blood god.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby
monathin and icephoenix are here aside from ppl posting

Max
Nov 30, 2002

That's fascinating

##unvote

##vote Icephoenix

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

except i didn't discredit him, i just said bus drivers are bad and had a discussion to that effect.

you've tried to misrepresent that discussion twice now. first as me 'sowing chaos' and now as an attempt to discredit max. which is it apnu?

Anpu
Jun 26, 2018

I have opened your two eyes. I have opened your mouth with the instruments of Anpu...
I curse Monathin.

I have words for Flerp, I hope I can maybe heal the rift between us.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Beetphyxious posted:

except i didn't discredit him, i just said bus drivers are bad and had a discussion to that effect.

you've tried to misrepresent that discussion twice now. first as me 'sowing chaos' and now as an attempt to discredit max. which is it apnu?

This is a pointless exchange right now, stop it and do the reads.

Anpu can't blind you if you don't allow yourself to be blinded.

Anpu
Jun 26, 2018

Beetphyxious posted:

Both. Very clearly both.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Kill the lurking scum who are watching the thread closely but saying nothing.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Max posted:

Kill the lurking scum who are watching the thread closely but saying nothing.

that sounds most like moat tbh

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Not if you look at the "who is currently viewing this sub-forum" tab.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Max posted:

Not if you look at the "who is currently viewing this sub-forum" tab.

oh i forgot about that forbidden technique

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

IcePhoenix posted:

it's shitpost day and there's still like 40 hours to go

IcePhoenix posted:

Octopath Traveler is really good, sorry. I promise to put in more effort from work tomorrow

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't work at night, there will be plenty of time.

I don't like this pattern.

• Locked thread