Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

chernobyl kinsman posted:

extremely hard pass my dude

e:
Oh my loving god, that dame one is terrible.

Also women pioneered astrophysics, not even joking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

My author bio is a drunkenly typed rant where i emphasize that I have nothing against a minority, but must nevertheless share some strong opinions that are commonly held but rarely spoken. The number of typos increases steadily, however, and you sigh in relief as the text becomes illegible. You have been spared.
stop trying to goad me into racism

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i feel it bubbling up under my carapace of self-satisfied white liberalism, the bigotry that i fight against every moment of my waking life

t h e f i n n s

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

extremely hard pass my dude

e:
yikes

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Quick, look at a picture of an otter.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

More seriously, the dame passage is fatally bad because it's horribly generic. It tells us nothing about the person it's supposedly describing. It fails at the very purpose of description. I'm not just laughing at it to laugh at it. How many hats does a dame own? How much does a dame know about astrophysics? How good is a dame at cooking and cleaning? There's no answer, and the framing itself is sexist.

I can enjoy something that is self-aware but cheesy, that doesn't take itself seriously and serves as a vehicle for entertainment rather than deep thought. But that passage gets so busy winking at the stereotype of a hardboiled noir dame that it fails to actually say anything. Even within genre conventions, the character archetype doesn't just boil down to one single person, and all of those things not-actually-described would have radically different answers for different characters that still, somehow, all fit the mold of a femme fatale.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Trying to figure out how one imbibes vindaloo.

Ccs posted:

Cool, different tastes. Better to dislike an author's work based on his writing than his author bio.
He wrote his own bio, so the distinction doesn't even apply.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Christ, this guy is just a perpetual smug wink.

quote:

Billie Holiday on vacation, it is said, once happened to meet Billy Vacation, who was on holiday.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Death by guillotine

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

quote:

Billie Holiday on vacation, it is said, once happened to meet Billy Vacation, who was on holiday.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

PetraCore posted:

Quick, look at a picture of an otter.

:unsmith:

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Trying to figure out how one imbibes vindaloo.
drinking just the sauce, no solid ingredients, out of a champagne glass in polite company

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

avshalemon posted:

drinking just the sauce, no solid ingredients, out of a champagne glass in polite company

A round of. very satisfying.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
This thread rules. Do Wally Lamb.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Death by guillotine

font color sea
Jan 23, 2017

Expelliarmus!
Lol BoTL just ate a month probe yet again. What a scamp

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

font color sea posted:

Lol BoTL just ate a month probe yet again. What a scamp

Not all heroes wear capes

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Imagining reading one of this guy's books, saying "How droll" after every sentence.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
hey botl while you're gone read The Book of the New Sun

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

hey botl while you're gone read The Book of the New Sun
Agreed. I want to know his stance on prancing about shirtless in a fuligin cloak.

edit: There's no way I can describe my love of Book of the New Sun without sounding like I'm slamming it, and I'm sure BotL will some day go into why is Gene Wolfe is a hack or something, but there were so many parts that are actually funny and Gene Wolfe seems self-aware enough based on other things of his that I have read that I think the book's reputation as "serious sci-fi" belies just how tongue-in-cheek a lot of it is.

Shark Sandwich fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 18, 2018

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Shark Sandwich posted:

Agreed. I want to know his stance on prancing about shirtless in a fuligin cloak.

edit: There's no way I can describe my love of Book of the New Sun without sounding like I'm slamming it, and I'm sure BotL will some day go into why is Gene Wolfe is a hack or something, but there were so many parts that are actually funny and Gene Wolfe seems self-aware enough based on other things of his that I have read that I think the book's reputation as "serious sci-fi" belies just how tongue-in-cheek a lot of it is.

I went looking for some Gene Wolfe critique and found some here:

https://www.waggish.org/2007/gene-wolfe-the-book-of-the-new-sun/
https://www.waggish.org/2007/more-on-gene-wolfe/
http://thesometime.com/blog/a-rigor-of-chessmasters-not-of-angels-gene-wolfe-and-literature-as-puzzle/

It boils down to them accusing Wolfe of treating his books as a puzzle, and "subordinates thematic and conceptual integrity to the mere challenge of these games."

I think it's more interesting to consider what role religion plays in the story, where Wolfe is presenting us with a seemingly religious universe only for everything to actually be natural and scientifically explained. The same way that the text seems like a fantasy novel and first and is revealed as science fiction. Severian's epiphany about the increate after he just got off a ship talking to time-traveling aliens shows how he misses the point. He can't conceive of a universe without God, even he has just been shown that most of his experiences have been managed by natural beings with near-godlike powers.

But people like to focus on the unreliable narrator aspect. Which makes sense since Wolfe must have put a lot of effort into tracking when he reveals certain facts and then when he contradicts those same revelations.

Here's a slightly more positive review from a philosophy professor & author, responding to one of the above critiques:
http://spurious.typepad.com/spurious/2007/11/i-like-waggishs.html

Ccs fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 18, 2018

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
for real man if you want all that then quit being a loving child and read some real literature

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I just like the adventures of Severian the Torturer claiming he's a badass with his dumb sword while some crazy space aliens are like, "you're a dumbass and this timeline works so that you're a dumb enough sociopath to do Noah 2: Electric Boogaloo and make a new Earth"

The reason I'm going to such hyperbole is that Wolfe is tackling a lot of stuff to varying degrees of success but the core is meant to be totally bonkers. That's not excusing anything I'm just mad the core ridiculousness of the concept isn't celebrated a ton since that's what I loved about it.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

for real man if you want all that then quit being a loving child and read some real literature

Literature's day is done.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ccs posted:

It boils down to them accusing Wolfe of treating his books as a puzzle, and "subordinates thematic and conceptual integrity to the mere challenge of these games."

Yeah I call this "being too stupid to understand symbolism" - Wolfe's stories aren't puzzle boxes, they just frequently use symbols and allusions to convey info. Combined with important plot beats and characterization being mentioned casually, just once, in a place in the narrative you wouldn't expect it to be. If you wanna call that a puzzle then I guess that's fine.

A good example is the scuffle at the gate at the end of Shadow of the Torturer - we are told straight-up what to expect there and then what actually happens there later, but people miss that and think it must be some crazy puzzle with plot significance.

My fav puzzle box story is Pale Fire what's yours??

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

my bony fealty posted:

Yeah I call this "being too stupid to understand symbolism" - Wolfe's stories aren't puzzle boxes

Disagree

As above, I just finished "The Sorceror's House" and then spent several hours afterwards googling interpretations and was not able to find any two analyses of the basic plot elements that agreed on all major points (what happened, who lived, who died, and who was who).

For the Book of the New Sun, he literally had to write an additional fifth book to explain what happened in the previous four because nobody could figure out what the gently caress they had just read with just the four main published works.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Disagree

As above, I just finished "The Sorceror's House" and then spent several hours afterwards googling interpretations and was not able to find any two analyses of the basic plot elements that agreed on all major points (what happened, who lived, who died, and who was who).

For the Book of the New Sun, he literally had to write an additional fifth book to explain what happened in the previous four because nobody could figure out what the gently caress they had just read with just the four main published works.

see normally I would find this level of deliberate obtuseness to be a sign of excellent craft, but having read excerpts of Gene Wolfe I am instead tempted to say he's a real bad writer

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

see normally I would find this level of deliberate obtuseness to be a sign of excellent craft, but having read excerpts of Gene Wolfe I am instead tempted to say he's a real bad writer

He's both, he's got excellent craft but is also in some ways a bad writer

He's in a weird place for me. I've read like 9/10ths of his published works and I still kinda hate him. He's very very good at some things (unreliable narrators, ambiguity, metanarrative, symbolism) and really bad at others (coherency, pacing, non-meta narrative, etc).

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 18, 2018

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

He's both, he's got excellent craft but is also in some ways a bad writer

He's in a weird place for me. I've read like 9/10ths of his published works and I still kinda hate him. He's very very good at some things (unreliable narrators, ambiguity, metanarrative, symbolism) and really bad at others (coherency, pacing, non-meta narrative, etc).

Give me an excerpt to convince me he is worth the investment because so far I have seen little to sway my disinterest

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Give me an excerpt to convince me he is worth the investment because so far I have seen little to sway my disinterest

I don't really want to carry that particular cross (as above, I kinda hate him) and I'm not sure an excerpt would work because the best thing about reading wolfe is that the second time you read each of his novels, the plot is entirely different from the first time you read it, so it's sort of a gestalt experience

Here's a good New Yorker article on the books of his I probably like the most, his Latro historical novels:

quote:

Gene Wolfe’s 1986 novel “Soldier of the Mist” centers on a Roman mercenary named Latro. Having suffered an injury during the Battle of Plataea, a Greco-Persian War skirmish, Latro has no memory of his past. Each night, he writes the day’s events on a scroll; the next morning he reads the scroll to bring himself current. Latro has to carefully choose what he is going to write down: he is limited by time, because when he sleeps he loses his memory again, and by the medium, because there is only so much papyrus. It is hinted that Latro’s wound was caused by the meddling of the gods, and, like the blind seer Tiresias, whose affliction was also the result of divine vengeance, Latro is given another gift: he can see the gods, and even speak with them. It could be the case, however, that Latro’s wound causes him to hallucinate.

On the phone from his home in Peoria, Gene Wolfe explained to me recently that Latro’s memory loss does not make him an unreliable narrator, as many critics assume. Instead, Latro might reveal only the truth that matters. Latro must ask himself, Wolfe said, “What is worth writing, what is going to be of value to me when I read it in the future? What will I want to know?” These are questions that Wolfe has been asking himself, in one form or another, for decades. His stories and novels are rich with riddles, mysteries, and sleights of textual hand. His working lexicon is vast, and his plots are unspooled by narrators who deliberately confuse or are confused—or both.

https://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/sci-fis-difficult-genius

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hieronymous, make Shadow of the Torture BotM for August. Let's just do this ugly thing.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

quote:

Gene Wolfe is known as the Melville of science-fiction. Why hasn’t he found a wider audience?

Ugghhhhhhhhhhhh

God this is the most tedious and constant trope of genre fiction author profiles

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Hieronymous, make Shadow of the Torture BotM for August. Let's just do this ugly thing.

I think it's too much book for one month (especially since it's completely WTF unless you read all five volumes).

Sorceror's House would be a good one though especially for October.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ugghhhhhhhhhhhh

God this is the most tedious and constant trope of genre fiction author profiles

"X is known as the Y of Z" you mean, because yeah it's awful. I have noticed a strong correlation with authors bio's comparing themselves to other authors and authors I do not enjoy.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

"X is known as the Y of Z" you mean, because yeah it's awful. I have noticed a strong correlation with authors bio's comparing themselves to other authors and authors I do not enjoy.

No, the "This person is actually super genius even though they are genre why aren't they more popular in this unfair prejudiced world of ours" trope

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

No, the "This person is actually super genius even though they are genre why aren't they more popular in this unfair prejudiced world of ours" trope

It's really easy to figure out why Wolfe is generally not that popular: his prose is dense and inaccessible, and in terms of plot and story and pacing his stories often seem one small step removed from a William Burroughs cut-up, especially on first reading. That's like the exact opposite of what most genre fiction readers want most of the time, so go figure.

He actually does get a lot of critical acclaim, especially from professional writers.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

He actually does get a lot of critical acclaim, especially from professional writers.

I take special note that you said professional and not accomplished

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Are you ever not huffing your own farts?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Are you ever not huffing your own farts?

I have no idea which poster in this thread you're referring to but, just to speak personally, no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
If you don't want to read Wolf the don't read him this isn't that hard