Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah I haven't done much of the pokemonning in recent years, thanks

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/sonic-forces-digital-bonus-edition

uh if anyone wants half price Sonic Forces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Megadrive box loving owns bones

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Augh, that's really good and I hate that I'm probably gonna plop $50 AUD on that

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiFgaatXuRc

So tempting to get another copy, but I'll never play it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dehry posted:

Awesome they used the Keith Apicary actor.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Little bit disappointed that none of the box art options have the horrendous American Sonic design on them.

Not that disappointed though.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RubyEclipse/status/1019037298778755072

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Dehry posted:

Sonic Mania is a very good game, but the fact it look like a 90's game is actually a point against it. I would rather it make use of the advances we've had in the 20+ years of game development, but it's still very good. This is a bad commercial that sells it on the wrong aspects of the game.

Sell Sonic Mania because it is a fun and good game, Sega. Come on.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
If you look at S3&K and Sonic Mania side by side and DON'T see the technological improvements, you're blind

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Sonic mania looks better than Sonic Rush Adventure, it arguably looks better than Sonic 4: Episode 2.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Sonic mania looks better than Sonic Rush Adventure, it arguably looks better than Sonic 4: Episode 2.

whats the argument

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sonic Mania looks insanely good and I'll take something carefully handcrafted like it over any game using the same PBR store-bought textures any, any, any day of the week.

Edit: Unless you bought or downloaded them from me, in which case good job.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 17, 2018

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Kurieg posted:

I have taken runny runny vodka shitz that are more graphically impressive than Sonic 4.

Seriously, sell Sonc Mania on how good and fun it is. Nostalgia is for assholes.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Would you sell a delicious home-cooked meal on its FPS? Would you sell a car on how it smells? Would you sell a bowling ball on how good it tastes with red wine?

Buy Sonic Mania because it is fun.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Honestly can't tell Screaming Idiot's opinions from bad reddit posts.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
It is a fun game and it is worth the price

I don't know what else you want from me

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Screaming Idiot posted:

Would you sell a delicious home-cooked meal on its FPS? Would you sell a car on how it smells? Would you sell a bowling ball on how good it tastes with red wine?

Buy Sonic Mania because it is fun.

You're making analogies that don't make sense. Graphic and Sound Design are part of what make an experience fun. Otherwise puzzles would be sold only in their purest form and music and paintings would not exist and there would be no point in artists having a job. No one would buy skins ever even if they're not part of a gambling scheme. You can trigger a positive reaction based on color scheme alone, and in many cases the proper connection of sound effects with actions can be satisfying in itself. You can change the entire feel of a game by changing the sound of a connected hit and some games like fruit ninja devoted a lot of time towards triggering a visceral reaction from players through the art + sound department.

I disagree with you saying that the art is the lowest point of Sonic Mania. Pixel Art is a valid art style regardless of its origins and is not a 90's exclusive. Pixel Art is still relevant in the mobile market, which is... pretty huge, not part of the 90's culture, and not dominated by old people with a 90's nostalgia. Stylized Art is also far less prone to aging bad if adhering to clean design and the amount of effort and work that went into Sonic Mania's art is above and beyond what went into, say, Sonic Forces' art, a game that's pretty modern.

Also, making something referential to something of the past does not necessarily mean tapping into nostalgia and I wish that word was banned already. Sonic Mania exists because there are people who believe its core was fundamentally good, and not good because of nostalgia. There's a difference between appealing to nostalgia and having fun doing something referential. For a very thematically appropriate reference a new Netflix Brazillian show called Samantha! just got released and its promo was a bunch of 80's themed infomercials. I never watched the TV shows it was parodying but I was entertained nevertheless because it was a fun experience watching something replicate a stylistic choice that's no longer used. I don't have any nostalgia for Synthwave but I understand the culture in which it is embedded, and putting Synthwave in a show like Stranger Things is obviously thematically appropriate.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Sonic Mania is a good and fun game that any Sonic fan should play because it is fun and reminds you of good and fun old Sonic games but offers new experiences too. But don't expect it to wow graphcally because that is not what it is for, it is fun with good music and new levels and Oil Ocean but we can forgive that because Metallic Madness has a rap battle between Sonic and Eggman as its background music.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But it did wow me graphically.

Come on SI you once drew the best Hojo fanart I've ever seen, what happened to your inner artist.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It wowed me graphically too. The sprite work is great and I’m happy they went beyond the Genesis look. It looks more like how a 2D Sonic would have looked like on Saturn and I love that.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
It looks good, but S3&K looks so much better, and it's decades old. I don't want to let aesthetics keep me from considering one of the best Sonic games of all tine though.

And I am a lovely artist.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

Sonic Mania is a very good game, but the fact it look like a 90's game is actually a point against it. I would rather it make use of the advances we've had in the 20+ years of game development, but it's still very good. This is a bad commercial that sells it on the wrong aspects of the game.

gently caress off

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Short of it no longer being a sprite based game I'm not sure what you want them to do.

And the sprite quality is *much* higher. The only difference is it's based off of the Sonic 2/CD sonic sprite rather than the sonic 3 one.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

I don't imagine this trailer is aimed at people who are totally unfamiliar. Even then it's still attention grabbing and different.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't really like the Chaotix-esue sheen all the character sprites have in Mania but nobody gives a poo poo what I think.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Oxyclean posted:

I don't imagine this trailer is aimed at people who are totally unfamiliar. Even then it's still attention grabbing and different.

Do not buy Sonic Mania because it is different. Buy it because it is fun. Do not be a Sonic hipster.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
So when should we expect various online shops to start offering Mania Plus?

Screaming Idiot posted:

Do not buy Sonic Mania because it is different. Buy it because it is fun. Do not be a Sonic hipster.

Just be happy people are buying it at you dumb putz

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Filthy Haiku posted:

So when should we expect various online shops to start offering Mania Plus?

Just be happy people are buying it at you dumb putz

I am very happy beut I want people to buy it because it is fun, not to be rebels against the status quo.

You will be disappointed if you do.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Screaming Idiot posted:

I am very happy beut I want people to buy it because it is fun, not to be rebels against the status quo.

You will be disappointed if you do.

huh?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I am looking forward to Mania Plus, but I really want Forces 2 more. That's my awful story.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Drunken phoneposting. I am going through a bad time and I want to say Sonic Mania is a good game people should play because it is fun, not to stick it to Call of Duty: Gunman Warfighter Royale: Shoot and Kill to Live.

We can have fun without spite. We can enjoy good games.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Screaming Idiot posted:

Drunken phoneposting. I am going through a bad time and I want to say Sonic Mania is a good game people should play because it is fun, not to stick it to Call of Duty: Gunman Warfighter Royale: Shoot and Kill to Live.

We can have fun without spite. We can enjoy good games.

You post inane enough poo poo when sober SI, we really don't need you to step up that game any further. People can enjoy the fact that a fun, well polished platformer is a nice change of pace without being some sort of insane video game hipster who exists only to spend money out of spite.

I was all set to play tonight :(

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
It would be incredibly foolish not to focus on nostalgia when marketing a throwback title like Mania.

Like it or not nostalgia is a huge part of Sonic's appeal these days. We're incredibly fortunate that in Mania's case that nostalgia is in service of a legit great game. Unlike Sonic 4 for example.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

can i buy it because its fun and also to spite cod for some reason

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

spite is a letter away from sprite

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

8am Pacific is around 4pm UK time, I believe? In which case I can grab it as soon as I get in from work.

[edit] I assume we're getting part five of Mania Adventures today as well, probably timed with Mania Plus going on sale.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 17, 2018

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I want to play the game

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

I'm talking about the ad. Everyone already knows Mania is just fun, and that's where it's success has come from.

The ad is just a stupid playful thing that's kind of in line with the general bizzareness of the Sonic twitter and Sega history. IMO, the audience for Plus is largely people who already had Mania, and this ad is just an attention grabbing move to jog people's memory and get people talking and go "oh yeah, Mania Plus is a thing."

I don't really know why you're hung up on some small bit of marketing saying something about Mania Plus or its fans? (I realize there's some irony in me being hung up on why you're taking so much out of the ad.)

e: I really wish I didn't have work today. Gotta wait till the evening to play Plus. :(

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

It's out on ps4, downloading it now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Aaaahhhh it's on Steam aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh