Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

yeah but anybody could’ve written that. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

a work for welfare program for unemployed canadian astronauts

lol did they ever get around to putting that guy on their money or do they need to wait until he’s dead

which guy, chris hadfield? he's the one who is Very Online but i imagine if an astronaut ended up on canadian money it would be Marc Garneau or Roberta Bondar.

we already have the canadarm on the money anyway. as if any first world nation couldn't build a loving robot arm. christ

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
lol

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
quote dictionary definitions at me next plz

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
also lol that you think any of that works or is actually funded by anything

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh okay so we're just doing a fingers-in-our-ears thing then

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

oh okay so we're just doing a fingers-in-our-ears thing then

no, we're doing a everything is broken and underfunded or not funded at all thing

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i wish melon husk would rescue this argument with his mini sub

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

which guy, chris hadfield? he's the one who is Very Online but i imagine if an astronaut ended up on canadian money it would be Marc Garneau or Roberta Bondar.

we already have the canadarm on the money anyway. as if any first world nation couldn't build a loving robot arm. christ

lmao i forgot about that drat arm

i didn’t even know about it until ucb started mocking it lol

but yeah hadfield was who i had in mind

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

as if any first world nation couldn't build a loving robot arm. christ

yeah, but they didn't did they?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
yo smoka did u ever get your menthols

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

yo smoka did u ever get your menthols

no!!! and there's no smoking in space

there's a whole thing about smoking in space but I'm not allowed to post it which is a little frustrating. I don't eat pills or drink hot caffeine drinks, only smoke

I don't even drink pop lol

SmokaDustbowl fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 17, 2018

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wait, the car is aimed at Mars? This is equally lovely because should it impact, would it contaminate everything with earth bacteria etc? gently caress anyone ever wanting to see if there's life on Mars, I guess

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's not aimed at mars

musk or someone said it was "going to mars", it's going somewhere in the asteroid belt for reasons stated by our knockoff wikipedia brown

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

spaceman's gonna be orbiting the sun for thousands of years until gene-modified space people cannibalise it for sacred Elon memorabilia ityool 50000

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

infernal machines posted:

knockoff wikipedia brown

yahoo answers smith

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

wikihow davis

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

hardly relevant boys

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

hardly relevant boys

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

idc though, it's much funnier to believe that spacex just couldn't hit an orbit to save their lives and if musk ever gets launched to mars he's going to end up on ceres with no air left

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

flakeloaf posted:

hardly relevant boys

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

idc though, it's much funnier to believe that spacex just couldn't hit an orbit to save their lives and if musk ever gets launched to mars he's going to end up on ceres with no air left

hes already living in a vacuum what makes u think the one in space will affect him differently?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

he would be literally hundreds of millions of miles away, i think that's a good start

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

he would be literally hundreds of millions of miles away, i think that's a good start

ill start the ignition sequence :munch:

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Sagebrush posted:

i am not a muskovite but

lol nice backpedal

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
the correct term is muskrat or, perhaps, muskox

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

you might say elon's head has gotten stuck up his own cave system! :haw:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol god drat I go into the woods for a few days and musk has a twitter meltdown. it’s good to be home

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Last Chance posted:

lol god drat I go into the woods for a few days and musk has a twitter meltdown. it’s good to be home

should have stayed it would be a better fate than this

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Siljmonster posted:

should have stayed it would be a better fate than this

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

your right

I miss it already

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

it's not aimed at mars

musk or someone said it was "going to mars", it's going somewhere in the asteroid belt for reasons stated by our knockoff wikipedia brown

even when it was originally aimed at mars, it was intentionally done outside of the transfer window so that it'd be in the same orbit mars is in around the sun, but like 90° behind or something. it wouldn't be orbiting mars to make sure that it didn't have to go through the decontamination process which wouldve taken time and money and effort, all things that ol' musky hates.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Spatial posted:

you might say elon's head has gotten stuck up his own cave system! :haw:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

fermun posted:

even when it was originally aimed at mars, it was intentionally done outside of the transfer window so that it'd be in the same orbit mars is in around the sun, but like 90° behind or something. it wouldn't be orbiting mars to make sure that it didn't have to go through the decontamination process which wouldve taken time and money and effort, all things that ol' musky hates.

your AV is so great lol

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

eboy
uboy
thai'd piper

something about verified nonces?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
iPaed

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

the correct term is muskrat or, perhaps, muskox

uh it's musketeer

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

smokas probated but he's definitely still reading but yes we absolutely can and do track all the poo poo in orbit. i know it seems crazy, but the radars and such we have around the world are really loving powerful and absolutely track all sorts of orbiting objects because we're constantly monitoring for ballistic missiles.

i can't get into technical specifics because they're classified and its been over 6 years since i looked at any data so my memory could be fuzzy anyways. wiki for the an/spy-1 radar that we use on ships says it's range is 100nm+ and that's omnidirectional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

uh it's musketeer

i like “bazinga brigade” as a collective noun.