Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Who cares if a prologue is bad, it's usually like 2-3% of the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Khizan posted:

Because he writes like it's a video game tutorial.

"Szreth used LT+X to burn 20% of his Stormlight Gauge to a Full Personal Gravity Reversal Lashing and run down the hallway on the ceiling. Then he pressed Y as he passed the lamps to draw in 15% Stormlight from the glowing blue lamps, and then he used X+D to burn 10% of his Stormlight Gauge on a Full Targeted Gravity Redirection Lashing to drop the guards down the hallway, followed by RT+LT+X to use a Gravitational Attraction Shield on the door so that it would block enemy arrows."

Sanderson's always had videogamey magic systems, but this is egregiously bad even for him.

It would have been 1000x as impressive if the POV was Sadeas in that sequence, because Sadeas would have no loving clue what was going on. Like, Sadeas and his guards race ahead of Szeth while Szeth's loving around making sure he's visible, Sadeas showing his own bravery and trying to draw Szeth off, then when Szeth turns around, he and his guards run after Szeth, too late to reach Gavilar. It would make his turning on Dalinar later actually shocking and underline his hatred of Dalinar's weaknesses.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 17, 2018

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
It would have been dope for the prologue to be Sadeas instead.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

It would have been 1000x as impressive if the POV was Sadeas in that sequence, because Sadeas would have no loving clue what was going on. Like, Sadeas and his guards race ahead of Szeth while Szeth's loving around making sure he's visible, Sadeas showing his own bravery and trying to draw Szeth off, then when Szeth turns around, he and his guards run after Szeth, too late to reach Gavilar. It would make his turning on Dalinar later actually shocking and underline his hatred of Dalinar's weaknesses.

I feel like Sanderson wanted the reader to have a full understanding of how windrunning works before Kaladin started having abilities.

It could have been done much more fluidly than expressly stating "This is the first lashing, this is the second lashing, etc."

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

TheMadMilkman posted:

I feel like Sanderson wanted the reader to have a full understanding of how windrunning works before Kaladin started having abilities.

It could have been done much more fluidly than expressly stating "This is the first lashing, this is the second lashing, etc."

I mean, yeah, there's a risk that going into the assassination sequence cold will just make Szeth look 100% generic anime magic, instead of 75%-but-with-a-twist. The Brandon Sanderson who wrote Blackthorn Dalinar could have pulled it off, the one who started Way of Kings ... probably not.

But I really don't think the infodump solution works at all.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The way Sanderson did the books, he could have dumped all that information in a section break excerpt from somebody's notes or something. Jaznah musing on how the stories about the Assassin in White match up to stories about the old radiants or whatever. The way he did it was the worst possible way it could be done.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Just finished the first Mistborn book. drat, that was good.

It was obvious at many points that Sanderson hadn't progressed as an author as far as he had in TSA, but it was considerably better written than Warbreaker. The magic systems were much more interesting and well developed, the story followed a far more engaging arc, but most importantly the characters were great. I'm quite sure that, much like Warbreaker, there were many hints to the broader Cosmere that I missed, once again the only real link I noticed was Hoid. Who, much like in Warbreaker, had a very brief and not influential appearance, in contrast to TSA (particularly the later books) where he plays a significant role. There are also a ton of unanswered questions - the book had a very satisfying ending, which I was pleasantly surprised by, but was also left open ended enough that I'm psyched to jump straight into the next book.

Brandon Sanderson is a good author.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Unfortunately, the Well of Ascension is the weakest book of the first Mistborn trilogy. I still like it a lot, but it can drag a big in some sections. Hero of Ages on the other hand is a great finisher for the trilogy.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Unfortunately, the Well of Ascension is the weakest book of the first Mistborn trilogy. I still like it a lot, but it can drag a big in some sections. Hero of Ages on the other hand is a great finisher for the trilogy.

He probably could've cut a hundred pages from WoA and still been fine, but I didn't really mind it as much as everyone else in this thread seemed to.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I found Well of Ascension much more rewarding on a reread

Mornil
Sep 6, 2010

Khizan posted:

Sanderson's always had videogamey magic systems, but this is egregiously bad even for him.

I keep seeing people here describe Sanderson's magic systems as "videogamey," but I think a better way to describe them would be "alternate science" --- they usually follow strict rules (even if those rules are only partially understood by the characters) and behave in consistent, quantifiable ways. Things like Surgebinding or Allomancy are clearly written to feel like additional laws of physics, and generally interact in sensible ways with real physics concepts (e.g., mass, momentum, etc).

I wasn't as bothered by the Szeth prologue as a lot of people seem to have been. I think the purpose of starting the series that way was to make it clear right from the start that this series considers magic to be a science with hard limits. That setup immediately puts the reader in a very different frame of mind than in books like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter where you know magic exists, but there's no clear sense of what kind of things it can/can't do. Personally I'm not sure if it would have been as effective to just describe a flying, glowing wizard with a sword in the prologue and then try to come back later in the book and wrap that behavior in the science of surgebinding.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
That is the best part about Sanderson Magic. When Gandalf pulls some wizard poo poo it's meaningless to the reader. He's a wizard, his power is undefined, magic is undefined, so he just sometimes does what he wants.

With Sanderson he says "here are the ways things work and why" so where a character pulls an awesome stunt using well-understood principles, it lets you see how and why it's an awesome stunt.

It's like how Jordan hand waved both his magic AND swordfighting scenes. Swordfights in WoT are just rattling off meaningless anime sword style names requiring you to fill in the blanks of what those moves actually look like. Yeah I mean he at least puts forth SOME idea of how the magic works but it doesn't really matter to me if this spell weaves Fire and Air but this other spell is Spirit and Water.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I'm going to disagree on Jordan's swordfighting names being bad/lazy, I found them to be very evocative without bogging down the narrative. Courtier Crosses the Floor vs. Charging Down the Mountain might not give you the exact movements, but it gives you all sorts of connotations on how the sword, feet, and fighters might be moving relative to each other. Yeah there isn't a strict mechanic to it, but as a narrative technique it's very effective.

The main players having power levels dicated by plot I agree is a shortcoming of his.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

DarkHorse posted:

I'm going to disagree on Jordan's swordfighting names being bad/lazy, I found them to be very evocative without bogging down the narrative.

I agree with your disagreement. I think they're brilliant shorthand.

Jordan doesn't need to describe a full frontal aggressive rush, he can say The Board Rushes Down The Mountain. Doesn't need to describe a thrust with a twisting motion that gets around the other's guard: he says The Grapevine Twines.

And a lot of them imply a physical stance or motion in addition to whatever the sword is doing. The various "cat" forms imply someone light on their feet. Leopard stances usually imply a stalking motion. Heron forms tend to be tip-toe stances with high strikes.

Etc, etc.

It's anime as gently caress, true, but it's also a really compact way to give the reader enough information to set their imagination free.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Loved the sword forms in Wheel of Time and they were definitely evocative, every time someone used Courtier Taps His Fan, someone got their throat cut.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Mornil posted:

I keep seeing people here describe Sanderson's magic systems as "videogamey," but I think a better way to describe them would be "alternate science" --- they usually follow strict rules (even if those rules are only partially understood by the characters) and behave in consistent, quantifiable ways. Things like Surgebinding or Allomancy are clearly written to feel like additional laws of physics, and generally interact in sensible ways with real physics concepts (e.g., mass, momentum, etc).

I wasn't as bothered by the Szeth prologue as a lot of people seem to have been. I think the purpose of starting the series that way was to make it clear right from the start that this series considers magic to be a science with hard limits.

This post nails it. I mentally categorize Sanderson in the genre of "hard fantasy" in the same way I think about "hard science fiction" versus general science fiction. I also wasn't bothered by the Szeth prologue or the way the mechanics of allomancy was introduced. In fact, one of the reasons I love reading Sanderson is because he actually gets deep into the mechanics of his magic systems. As a gamer, I am one of those min/maxing stats crunching players obsessed with the game mechanics...and if some NPC pulls a move that isn't consistent with the rest of the game mechanics, it really undermines the whole game because it's unfair. So taking that analogy into a book, the fact that Sanderson's magic systems have well-defined rules, it really enhances the emotional payoff for magical actions.

Example from Hero of Ages: Marsh figuring out that Vin's earring is a Hermalurgic spike thanks to Spike's message (Secret History spoiler) which was Kelsier's doing

Example from Oathbringer: Dalinar speaking his third Ideal and creating a Perpendicularity just absolutely floored me. It was all at once unexpected but completely in keeping with the rules of Surgebinding, what a payoff!

Here's Sanderson talking about his views on creating magic systems: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXAcA_y3l6M&t=142s (it's from his BYU lectures which if you're interesting in writing is pretty interesting to watch)

SynthesisAlpha posted:

That is the best part about Sanderson Magic. When Gandalf pulls some wizard poo poo it's meaningless to the reader. He's a wizard, his power is undefined, magic is undefined, so he just sometimes does what he wants.

With Sanderson he says "here are the ways things work and why" so where a character pulls an awesome stunt using well-understood principles, it lets you see how and why it's an awesome stunt.

It's like how Jordan hand waved both his magic AND swordfighting scenes. Swordfights in WoT are just rattling off meaningless anime sword style names requiring you to fill in the blanks of what those moves actually look like. Yeah I mean he at least puts forth SOME idea of how the magic works but it doesn't really matter to me if this spell weaves Fire and Air but this other spell is Spirit and Water.

Personally, I thought the Wheel of Time got much much better magic system wise when Sanderson introduced Androl and started messing around with Gateways. And one of the things I really wanted to find out as a post Memory of Light thing was whether anyone was around to remember how Egwene wove the Flame of Tar Valon (the counter weave to balefire).

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I guess it must be my inner engineer / gamer but I quite liked the Szeth prologue (including the hard, concrete "quarter lashing to float" verbosity), but I can see understand the complaints.

As far as short hand anime fighting technique names, again I can see the creativity to it but I just couldn't stand it. It reminded me of when I read Ready Player One where Cline is like, "I'm going to list half a dozen TV shows now" - my eyes would just gloss over and I skip that paragraph. Same thing when Jordan starts rattling off fighting moves; it's short hand alright. Short Hand for "skip to the end of this paragraph"

Also can we take a moment to just appreciate how delightfully bad some of the cover art is for Wheel of Time?

"What the gently caress do I do with my hands, you guys?" - Rand

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 24, 2018

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, Darrell Sweet was, uh....distinctive. The UK covers were so much better, and the ebook covers were just light years better. I guess Sweet was the 'go-to' artist in the early 90s and it stuck. The worst part is that Sweet either got lovely direction or just did his own thing, since a lot of the elements of the covers were nowhere near what was described in the book (see: trollocs being human with animal helmets, Perrin looking like the Barbarian from the D&D cartoon grown up a bit, etc)

Thankfully, Sanderson got Whelan to do the Stormlight covers. Helps that Sweet is also dead, I guess.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sab669 posted:

"What the gently caress do I do with my hands, you guys?" - Rand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrbUIDlQdJ4

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Whoever did the artwork for the second (?) edition books is great though:

I'd say I'm 50-50 on Sanderson cover art. Not actually a big fan of either Mistborn Era covers, but all of the Stormlight ones are great. I really like the colors on the Skyward cover, too.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is that Elayne? Cause.... drat.

Seeing the cover art pop up on the Apple Books when I get to a new WOT book always gets a nice laugh. Like this one... what the hell?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sab669 posted:

Whoever did the artwork for the second (?) edition books is great though:

I'd say I'm 50-50 on Sanderson cover art. Not actually a big fan of either Mistborn Era covers, but all of the Stormlight ones are great. I really like the colors on the Skyward cover, too.

Stormlight covers are by Michael Wheelan, who makes pretty much All Of The Best Fantasy Covers

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Is that Elayne? Cause.... drat.

Seeing the cover art pop up on the Apple Books when I get to a new WOT book always gets a nice laugh. Like this one... what the hell?

I think it’s Moirane because that looks like the blue stone angreal head jewel she had

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh I assumed it was an angreal she made, or the bracelet for Moghedien.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

DarkHorse posted:

I think it’s Moirane because that looks like the blue stone angreal head jewel she had

You're probably right, but that's dumb because she's been stilled and doesn't get healed until the next book

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Sab669 posted:

You're probably right, but that's dumb because she's been stilled and doesn't get healed until the next book

You're confusing her with Siuan. It's definitely Moiraine due to the visual clues and also considering the biggest moment of FoH: when Rand is getting dunked on by a ragingly jealous Lanfear and can't bring himself to hurt her to defend himself, so Moiraine suicide tackles her into the doorway Ter`angreal and is gone until Sanderson takes the series over.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh, duh, right. I misread his post :(

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

aparmenideanmonad posted:

You're confusing her with Siuan. It's definitely Moiraine due to the visual clues and also considering the biggest moment of FoH: when Rand is getting dunked on by a ragingly jealous Lanfear and can't bring himself to hurt her to defend himself, so Moiraine suicide tackles her into the doorway Ter`angreal and is gone until Sanderson takes the series over.

Noooooo, wish I hadn't read the last part of that spoiler. Although it was fairly obvious that she'd be back eventually.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Noooooo, wish I hadn't read the last part of that spoiler. Although it was fairly obvious that she'd be back eventually.

Hah. I missed the last part until reading this post now :argh: Good thing I'm not invested in the series at all and am just reading it because I'm apparently a masochist.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I think since I started reading this thread, 75% of the posts have been about WoT. C'mon! :mad:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Taffer posted:

I think since I started reading this thread, 75% of the posts have been about WoT. C'mon! :mad:

That's really weird since Sanderson wrote three WoT books :confused:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Taffer posted:

His most recent book came out, what, 9 months ago? Everyone was discussing Oathbringer earlier this year, but it's since died down.

I'm not ready to reread Stormlight yet :v: (ok that's a lie but I should finish reading WoT for the first time since I'm almost done with book 6).

And there's not much to talk about future works; we know nothing about Skyward which will be his next major side project.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The Fires of Heaven and Winter's Heart e-book covers are both amazing. They capture the pivotal moments of both books really well. Moiraine looks pretty badass in her cover.

By the way, I just read that White Sand Volume 2 has been released some time ago? I totally missed it. I'll be reading it this weekend, looking forward to more Kelton and Khriss!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sab669 posted:

His most recent book came out, what, 9 months ago? Everyone was discussing Oathbringer earlier this year, but it's since died down.

I'm not ready to reread Stormlight yet :v: (ok that's a lie but I should finish reading WoT for the first time since I'm almost done with book 6).

And there's not much to talk about future works; we know nothing about Skyward which will be his next major side project.

Skyward is proofread and coming out on November Sixth
https://twitter.com/PeterAhlstrom/status/1018251027538010112
https://twitter.com/PeterAhlstrom/status/1018266449968709632

Here's the cover

And there's an excerpt here

It's apparently connected to one of the other noncosmere books, no idea what.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tunicate posted:

It's apparently connected to one of the other noncosmere books, no idea what.

Steelheart would be my guess; it's the only one with an obvious way to connect multiple worlds/universes/dimensions.

Second guess would be Rithmatist.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Tunicate posted:

Skyward stuff

Well I didn't mean literally nothing. I know he posted the Cover, and he even posted the prologue online somewhere not long ago. He also basically described it as "How To Train Your Dragon" meets "Top Gun".

But I just meant we haven't actually read it, so there's very little to discuss. At least if it were, say, Wax & Wayne 4, we could speculate about where things will go and what might happen, but since it's a brand new series...

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

AHHH!!! I have not read those books in 20 years. Stopped right when I was waiting for Path of Daggers to come out. It came out and I figure, f this, these books are not even good anymore. But I always wandered about that... Thanks Obama.

Loved the first Stormlight book, flew through it at the start of the year. Started the second and did not get into it after 100 or so pages. I need to make myself start again, I'm sure it's great.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Wheel of time is my poo poo. I'm a Matrim fan for life.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Wheel of Time is what got me to read Sanderson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
I've tried reading through WoT about 3 times now, each time giving up a book or two short of double digits. That all predated Sanderson's wrap-up (and any of my own reading of any Sanderson) so I've been gently eyeballing a 4th attempt for a while now.

Related, a personal WoT anecdote spurred by RC Cola's declaration: I was introduced to WoT by my childhood best friend. Then in college I introduced him to his now-wife (a co-worker of mine) because they shared a ton of interests, including severe WoT fandom. They've now got 2 kids named Matrim (Mat) and Nynaeve (Nina). It's all my fault.