Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The steel in the Victorinox paring knife must be cheap as hell because it does not hold an edge at all. It is very thin so it cuts even when it starts to dull. The Dexter equivalent is about $3 at my local kitchen supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Just came across this knife and it looks pretty interesting. The chef's knife looks pretty cool too. Anyone have any experience with the Kanso line? Not worth the money?

https://shun.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/kanso-7-in-asian-utility-knife

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Kanso is IIRC their entry line. Shun makes good knives. You can find those at crate & barrel to see if you like the feel which is imo an advantage over blind buying. Whether worth the money is up to you.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Shun makes nice stuff. A little pricy, but the quality is good.

One thing that's going to stick out to people here is: that's a lot of money to spend on a 6" knife. Most people use a chef's knife and a paring knife. 8" is better for a main knife, but a lot of people eventually go up to a 10" chef's knife.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Hey folks. I found this huge chef at a yard sale today for the price of One American Dollar.

All I have is a sharpening stone set I got for christmas. Is this something I can at least partially restore without a grinder or is the only hope to send it off somewhere for repair? I guess I could buy a grinder...

My worry is the broken tip. I have no idea how to fix that or what it takes. I'm not a knife enthusiast.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Just sharpen the edge. I don't speak Japanese to know exactly what that is, but it's a carbon steel gyuto of some sort. To "fix" the tip you could see if your coarsest sharpening stone would let you remove that.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Pretty sure its a Tojiro ITK gyuto

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Symetrique posted:

Pretty sure its a Tojiro ITK gyuto

Nah the kanji is different. But it's still a gyuto. It's an older tojiro of a different model

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 12, 2018

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Tom Gorman posted:

Hey folks. I found this huge chef at a yard sale today for the price of One American Dollar.

All I have is a sharpening stone set I got for christmas. Is this something I can at least partially restore without a grinder or is the only hope to send it off somewhere for repair? I guess I could buy a grinder...

My worry is the broken tip. I have no idea how to fix that or what it takes. I'm not a knife enthusiast.

Rub the spine on the stone at a 90 degree angle (cutting edge facing straight up) until you bring the spine down until you have a tip again. Face the tip away from you and push and pull the knife, slightly raise the handle as you pull towards you, lower as you push away - you're trying to blend in with the existing shape of the curve of the spine down to the tip. Observe your stone carefully because this can gouge the stone. Some people use the side of the stone instead of the normal sharpening surface. If you don't have a coarse enough stone or want to avoid gouging your stones you can probably use a brick or the sidewalk to do the bulk of the dirty work to get the tip back.

If you don't mind changing the shape of the edge you can do the same thing to the cutting side; or mix and match from both the spine and edge. Once you have the tip back sharpen the edge normally.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chemmy posted:

One thing that's going to stick out to people here is: Most people use a chef's knife and a paring knife. 8" is better for a main knife, but a lot of people eventually go up to a 10" chef's knife.

disagree fwiw

my breakdown on knife usage is 70% 6.5in santoku, 10% cleaver, 10% 10in chef knife/gyoto, 10% everything else

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Yeah I prefer a smaller santoku.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Scott808 posted:

Rub the spine on the stone at a 90 degree angle (cutting edge facing straight up) until you bring the spine down until you have a tip again. Face the tip away from you and push and pull the knife, slightly raise the handle as you pull towards you, lower as you push away - you're trying to blend in with the existing shape of the curve of the spine down to the tip. Observe your stone carefully because this can gouge the stone. Some people use the side of the stone instead of the normal sharpening surface. If you don't have a coarse enough stone or want to avoid gouging your stones you can probably use a brick or the sidewalk to do the bulk of the dirty work to get the tip back.
You could also go to your local home improvement store and pick up a couple sheets of coarse sandpaper for like a buck.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

mindphlux posted:

disagree fwiw

my breakdown on knife usage is 70% 6.5in santoku, 10% cleaver, 10% 10in chef knife/gyoto, 10% everything else

That's weird. I feel like anything shorter than 10" is cramped now. My breakdown is probably 80% 10" gyuto, 15% 8" chef's knife (it's stainless so I use it for certain stuff), 5% paring knife (mostly cutting fruit in half).

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

CrazyLittle posted:

Nah the kanji is different. But it's still a gyuto. It's an older tojiro of a different model

https://www.amazon.com/Tojiro-Finished-Shiro-ko-Kasumi-Gyutou/dp/B00G5HBRW2

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chemmy posted:

That's weird. I feel like anything shorter than 10" is cramped now. My breakdown is probably 80% 10" gyuto, 15% 8" chef's knife (it's stainless so I use it for certain stuff), 5% paring knife (mostly cutting fruit in half).

what do you mean by "cramped"?

there's just not much I ever have to do that requires that large a blade. I'm much more nimble boning chickens with a santoku, most of the veg/herbs I chop isn't such huge quantities that a shorter blade slows me down, the santoku is thinner and sharper so I can get more precise dices...

I'll use a cleaver or chef's knife if I'm like, cutting a big ol acorn squash, slicing a whole leg of lamb or a turkey or something, or dicing 10lbs of carrots - but for like one bunch of cilantro or chiffonading mint or mincing garlic or segmenting fruit or something, lightweight nimble and fast push-cutting just feels right to me.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Is there a big enough difference to buy shun Fuji line instead of the shun premier? I like the size and weight of the Fuji, but that price upsell

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mindphlux posted:

what do you mean by "cramped"?

there's just not much I ever have to do that requires that large a blade. I'm much more nimble boning chickens with a santoku, most of the veg/herbs I chop isn't such huge quantities that a shorter blade slows me down, the santoku is thinner and sharper so I can get more precise dices...

I'll use a cleaver or chef's knife if I'm like, cutting a big ol acorn squash, slicing a whole leg of lamb or a turkey or something, or dicing 10lbs of carrots - but for like one bunch of cilantro or chiffonading mint or mincing garlic or segmenting fruit or something, lightweight nimble and fast push-cutting just feels right to me.

I primarily use my 8 inch gyuto, op

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Speaking of, back in April I got an 8" carbon steel Masamoto from the Tsukiji shop in Tokyo and I just took it to the stone for the first time for sharpening on my own. It's crazy how easy it is to put a good edge on this thing, but my only other references are a Victorinox Fibrox or some cheap crap knives

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Wonderllama posted:

Is there a big enough difference to buy shun Fuji line instead of the shun premier? I like the size and weight of the Fuji, but that price upsell
Except for the blue steel shuns I think it's just fit and finish. Buy what's comfortable imho

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
so, I posted a thread a while back about doing ceramics

I've sort of been running out of ideas on what to do next in my ceramics studio. I work almost exclusively with porcelain, and I make an inordinate amount of bowls and teacups and vases and boring poo poo. looking for some inspiration, and I remembered ceramic blades were a thing.

does anyone know much about how porcelain blades are made? if I hand-cast a sorta flat, knife shaped thing and put it through a kiln and ground it down and poo poo, would I basically be making a ceramic blade ala the commercial process?

I don't think I'd ever pay money for a ceramic blade, but the novelty of making one myself...

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mindphlux posted:

I've sort of been running out of ideas on what to do next in my ceramics studio. I work almost exclusively with porcelain, and I make an inordinate amount of bowls and teacups and vases and boring poo poo. looking for some inspiration, and I remembered ceramic blades were a thing.

does anyone know much about how porcelain blades are made? if I hand-cast a sorta flat, knife shaped thing and put it through a kiln and ground it down and poo poo, would I basically be making a ceramic blade ala the commercial process?

I don't think I'd ever pay money for a ceramic blade, but the novelty of making one myself...

I don't know, op.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

mindphlux posted:

Are you talking about ceramic knives like Kyocera makes, or something different?

Ceramic knives aren't made from porcelain like you'd normally use; they're made from zirconium-rich, high-temperature ceramics, so a homemade knife wouldn't have the same properties, any more than a knife made from scavenged rebar might have the same properties as a high-tech supersteel.

That said, yes, the sharpening process is pretty recognizable. You'd have to use diamond stones due to the hardness. Kyocera has a little video about it if you're curious, though it's not especially rich with details. It would be a neat project if nothing else!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

what do you do with expensive japanese knives after you make the transition to using a $30 chinese cleaver for everything?

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 17, 2018

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

poverty goat posted:

what do you do with expensive japanese knives after you make the transition to using a $30 chinese cleaver for everything?

You could always just send them all to me.

Or sell them, or keep them as a nice collection because you enjoy the craftsmanship, or force yourself to bring them into a rotation to practice with different styles of knives.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i've already got a pretty big tojiro ITK kiritsuke but i've found this and I'm real tempted

https://thesharpchef.co.uk/collections/tojiro-carbon/products/tojiro-white-steel-no-2-165mm-santoku-knife-with-grinding-finish

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

poverty goat posted:

Hang onto them for the rare occasion you want to slice something real thin? Of course, I'm using a $10 cleaver that's more wedge than knife, a better cleaver could probably do fine cuts too.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
2 questions:

1. I bought a wetstone because I am fed up with our knufes getting dull and sharpening costs a fortune here. I have watched some videos on youtube how to do it.
Is there any pro tip for how to judge the angle your holding thr knife at?

2. Somebody donated 2 brand new knife sets (chinese cleaver, santoku, pairing, bread, chef, filetting and 1 weird knife plus a honing steel and a meat fork) to our red cross charity clothes do. Since we are not allowed to hand out knifes they gave me one set to take home. It tried googling the brand "AMC Meisterbach" but came up with a lot warnings for fakes so I suspect it's one of those bogus "I have leftover stock from a trade fare wanna buy straight out of my boot" things and the donor was scammed especially since the "fancy gurantee card" has a set number but no adress or anything.

Is there any way to find out whether those are servicable? Right now I figure I'll just use them and if they suck I can bin them. I am only using them for home cooking anyway. But can I take them to a shop to have them "rated" or something?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

quote:

Is there any pro tip for how to judge the angle your holding thr knife at?

Take a sharpie and color the beveled edge of the knife. Pass it over the stone. If you got all the sharpie off you're at the correct angle.

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtopic.php?t=52105

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Ahh great thanks

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am happy to report my knives are sharp again. A friend who knows his stuff showed me the ropes and drat it makes so much of a difference...

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Are victoninox still decent kitchen knives? I'm looking to get my first good set. A parer, a semi flex boning knife, a 6 inch utility knife, and a 7 inch santoku Or 8 inch kitchen knife. Looking to spend 150ish on the lot. Nothing fancy, just durable and nice quality. I do a bit of home butchery and meat cutting.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yes, Victorinox are still good. Prices have gone up and they are no longer the incredible bargain they once were, but they are still solid knives at reasonable prices.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I was recently gifted a very nice, very sharp knife with a bevel on one side only and everytime I use it, I can't cut straight down. I figure I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what and how to fix it.

Do I need to hold it differently, or put more pressure on different parts? It seems to cut away from the bevel side, which is the right hand side.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I was sad

I bought my wife's childhood friend (who she still fancys a friend) a nice MAC knife for their wedding present like 3 years ago.

we were invited over for dinner to their house a couple nights ago

they ordered in pizza and asked us to bring a salad

we brought stuff to make a salad, and they seemed vaguely miffed that we had to like, cut vegetables or assemble the salad or something?

I asked to use a knife and a cutting board

they gave me the knife I gave them

it had pretty obviously not been used, it was like the exact sharpness that it comes out of the box. :( and these people are not like using a sharpening service or something. :( :( or even have a hone probably :( :( :(

I was sad

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

:popeye:

I hope you severed that friendship posthaste.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Could be worse. Last time my MIL visited, she was in a panic because the paring knife disappeared and she was afraid it was thrown away by accident. Trying to make her feel better I say, "It wasn't that great a knife anyway." She blurts out, "I bought that for you!" I'm the worst SIL ever.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
not my friendship to sever

they are having a kid and bought a house 30 minutes out in the burbs and their house while perfectly nice is completely sterile without any personality at all, and they're OCD like "take off your shoes when you come in the house", and we honestly don't have much in common, so I think it might just run its natural course.

gotta be polite to mah girl tho so my bitchin' goes in the knife thread. even though I'm sure she'd agree if I brought all this up :/

still though, mah beautiful expensive MAC knife gift :/ why u no use, friend???

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
im laughing picturing the inverse of this

"so.... we were invited over for dinner and went over to our friends house who we gifted a REALLY nice MAC knife.

he cooked us a really weird dinner with a savory egg custard appetizer that had CRAB in it, and he was really OCD about serving the food in 5 courses rather than just a trough on the table.

he had clearly been abusing the gently caress out of our gift - I mean it looked worn and the MAC lettering was barely legible - it had faded that much! no respect at all.

anyways, they don't even have kids and our conversation attempts about tv shows fell COMPLETELY flat so I doubt we'll be seeing much more of them anyhow...."

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

wormil posted:

Could be worse. Last time my MIL visited, she was in a panic because the paring knife disappeared and she was afraid it was thrown away by accident. Trying to make her feel better I say, "It wasn't that great a knife anyway." She blurts out, "I bought that for you!" I'm the worst SIL ever.

yikes, that's a pretty dangerous move. I've forgotten gifts my mother in law had given me, and thank gently caress I have the gift of blagging or I'd be in some deep poo poo to this day. I've made many mental and physical notes never to forget the details of an in-law gift ever again :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
taking your shoes off at the door is normal