Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So apparently the way McHale gets round the binge thing is to use clips that are years old anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

raditts posted:

In my ongoing quest to finally finish watching Breaking Bad and the Wire, I just got through Breaking Bad season 3. What a short and tragic storyline Gale has, :rip: you enthusiastic go-getter. Pinkman doesn't deserve all the second chances he keeps getting.

I have about 2 episodes left of my Billions binge watch, and keep wondering where I saw the actor who played Wags from. I just realized he played Gale in BB, and per IMDB he played one of the prick newspaper guys in season 5 of The Wire. Also Wags is by far the best thing on Billions.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
David Costabile rules.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

nate fisher posted:

I have about 2 episodes left of my Billions binge watch, and keep wondering where I saw the actor who played Wags from. I just realized he played Gale in BB, and per IMDB he played one of the prick newspaper guys in season 5 of The Wire.

Also, Dollar Bill Stearn is Pastor Tim from The Americans

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Curse Pastor Tim, that capitalist pigdog

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Escobarbarian posted:

So apparently the way McHale gets round the binge thing is to use clips that are years old anyways

That's really dumb, Not-The Soup isn't the same if they're not keeping up with current stuff. Who thought that was going to be a good idea?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Flatscan posted:

All of it? Why do you hate yourself?

I just think it could be so good for me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

raditts posted:

That's really dumb, Not-The Soup isn't the same if they're not keeping up with current stuff. Who thought that was going to be a good idea?

It seems pretty clear just from the way he acts and refers to the "binge" part of the season was that it was definitely a Netflix decision. In the pre-production update for the new season of MST3K Joel mentions something similar where Netflix really wants people to watch a bunch of episodes at once.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It was mostly clips from the break between weekly episodes and this binging set, anyway, from what I can tell.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I know some of the stuff was inaccurate by the time I watched it, but I’m curious, is Dugas still vilified for allegedly being the ‘patient zero’ of the AIDs epidemic? I had a HS bio teacher in the early 2000s that spoke of the ‘flight attendant spreading it’ as if it were the gospel truth.

I think with things like this most people seemingly want to attribute it to one person or one central cause and one of the common things you hear about aids is that a 'flight attendant' brought it to the US. Even if they don't know Dugas by name, the idea is the same thing. Stupidly, Degas was referred to as Patient O, meaning 'Outside California'. Some people took this to mean 'Patient Zero'. In AND THE BAND PLAYED ON, Randy Shilts portrays Dugas as a borderline Sociopath at times; likely because he truly believed that Dugas was the source of the outbreak and that he was seemingly unconcerned with being an incredibly prolific lover (Dugas estimated that he had slept with over 2,500 men since the 70s. He was also only 31 when he died).

However in reality, Dugas was one of the most helpful patients in the early days because he was able to identify a huge number of his sexual partners and likewise others were able to remember him because of his name so this allowed for greater tracability. A rebuttal to the claims made in AND THE BAND PLAYED ON was published about a year after the release of the book, but it didn't stop the rumour from gaining traction.

It's only with the benefit of hindsight and studies that we know for one thing, Dugas was one of many men who contracted AIDS during the 70s and was by no means the first, nor was he responsible for bringing it to the masses. The actual first real case in the US was the sad story of Robert Rayford, a 16 year old who died in 1969 but had been suffering from symptoms since 1966 (Funnily enough, the first European case exhibited his symptoms around about the same time but he didn't die until the mid-70s). There's not a lot known about him since he was reluctant to talk but we do know that he had never travelled out of the midwestern US and never visited any major cities, so it's fair to state that an earlier form of AIDS was around in the US since at least the mid-60s.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

It was mostly clips from the break between weekly episodes and this binging set, anyway, from what I can tell.

Started off as mostly stuff from that, but as it went on it was more stuff from years ago, and a lot of the British stuff is from last year at the latest.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Sinclair-Tribune deal is on thin ice, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Who Is America? thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3863466

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Please explain to me that Hudson kid from Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

So recently started watching Wynonna Earp which is actually a pretty fun show. Apparently it's based on a comic and...

....I guess I won't be reading the comic.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Do her boobs help her fight demons or something?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Can't really say I care about clips being old since I don't watch any of those shows or know anything about them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They have the secret power of selling comic books to horny nerd teenagers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Never give up on your dreams

https://mobile.twitter.com/SirPatStew/status/1018941505929666561

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Alhazred posted:

So recently started watching Wynonna Earp which is actually a pretty fun show. Apparently it's based on a comic and...

....I guess I won't be reading the comic.

I'm not a DC comics guy so this is a legitimate question based on your avatar: has there been a concerted effort to de-sexualize Catwoman comics in recent years?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The dumbasses from Warsaw Shore doing the fusion dance is really weird.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also shocking news but Showtime says that Sarah Palin is lying about SBC pretending to be a disabled veteran.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think other reports said that he was pretending to be a "disabled veteran" of the US Postal Service. So my guess is that he just did that thing he does where he makes it look one way and she was an idiot who got duped and still hasn't gotten the joke.

So she'll keep insisting it was "stolen valor" and poo poo and the RWM media will repeat that because gently caress the truth.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah even in the Bernie interview he says he’s just storing up energy and there’s nothing wrong with him.

Anyone ever trying to fight back against a professional comedian is always gonna come off bad.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

less laughter posted:

Also, Dollar Bill Stearn is Pastor Tim from The Americans

Jesus Christ mind blown. At first time I’m like no way, but now I can’t unsee it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the paul feig cameos in the new Penis McHale show were even worse than before, and also longer. STOP IT.

So there's a Roku app/website called Topic that appears to be primarily focused on social justice issues and people, but instead of being Tumblr Personified it's actually pretty good. They have a ton of content so I've only looked at a couple things. The Nib is an animated 10 minute show that makes fun of Bill Maher, Trump, the alt-Right, Democrats, the far left, etc. To be fair they make fun of Trump/alt-right way more than they make fun of the left, but reality has a known bias against the right wing so what can you do.

Then they have a documentary called The Work which is about some normal guys spending 4 days in prison as part of a program to bring new and positive energy to the inmates (the people are all volunteers and there's no apparent criteria for signing up, there's all kinds of people in it). The prisoners they talk to are really interesting. It takes place in New Folsom Prison. It's good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

muscles like this! posted:

The dumbasses from Warsaw Shore doing the fusion dance is really weird.

It shouldn't be. DBZ might've been something only nerds and anti-social teens admitted to loving, but a lot of adults now were little kids when it was on the air, and they were absolutely the target audience.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Croatoan posted:

Do her boobs help her fight demons or something?

Boobs are a demon's greatest weakness, trust me on this one

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

DBZ transcended social circles if you were the right age when it aired tbf

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Also Paul Feig is deffo the worst part of the Joel McHale Show

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Never forget "know condoms"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So Nathan Fillion and Stephen Lang made an Uncharted fan film without any involvement from Naughty Dog. Could be one of those backdoor movies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5CZQpqF_74

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is it set a decade after the epilogue of 4 or...

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Fillion would have been a perfect Nathan like ten years ago.

I'll watch this lil fan thing after work tho.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The shootout is a bit cheesy, but they got the feel pretty good.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

esperterra posted:

Fillion would have been a perfect Nathan like ten years ago.

I'll watch this lil fan thing after work tho.

I think the director must be some important executive's nephew or something. Nothing really special about it but Nathan Fillion's voice sounds a lot like Nolan North.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

DrVenkman posted:

...it's fair to state that an earlier form of AIDS was around in the US since at least the mid-60s.

The topic has been legitimately fascinating to me for years because every 5 or so you can look into this further and find more theories and research as they try tracking down the origin, and pretty much every time something new has blown old research from the water. All in my lifetime, it's started over or expanded well beyond what we ever expected like 6 times now. The last dig I did into it had at least one set of researchers theorizing that it might have crossed over from primates to humans a few times (via meat, not sex) but it was the 20th century where the tipping point shoved it out and into a wider populace and we got horrifyingly lucky as a species that it didn't arrive a little earlier and spread wider when it would have been harder to detect or handle.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's likely a SIDS variant of some flavor, right?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I badly need more shows to steal this gimmick from Preacher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

END ME SCOOB posted:

The topic has been legitimately fascinating to me for years because every 5 or so you can look into this further and find more theories and research as they try tracking down the origin, and pretty much every time something new has blown old research from the water. All in my lifetime, it's started over or expanded well beyond what we ever expected like 6 times now. The last dig I did into it had at least one set of researchers theorizing that it might have crossed over from primates to humans a few times (via meat, not sex) but it was the 20th century where the tipping point shoved it out and into a wider populace and we got horrifyingly lucky as a species that it didn't arrive a little earlier and spread wider when it would have been harder to detect or handle.

Yeah I mean AIDS as we more or less know it began to spread, best that can be told, in the late-50s/early-60s. Earlier variations of HIV can be traced way back to around the 1920s (though this is contested) and it's believed that it was truly born in around 1900 out of SIV.

The worrying thing is that it's an inevitably that HIV will continue to grow and mutate beyond what it is now.