Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

well bright side is if you're deadlocking your db with incomplete transactions or whatever that means you should be immune to someone accidentally dropping your prod db like that other guy

That would be a pretty straight forward explanation, but since it's affecting multiple separate databases I'm thinking it's more like the ghost of Sybase is coming to punish us further for using their lovely database engine. It already has a habit of exploding with errors like "Unable to access page (null)" which blows up the entire service and takes down every database running on it. Rebuild the database as much as you want, poo poo just keeps happening.

Although everything locking up (can't even log into any of the databases) is a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Toady posted:

why are there two terrible programming threads
Volume!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ComradeCosmobot posted:

code:
java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Page -2147483648 is out of bounds, all page numbers must be positive

that's what you think :smug:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

also the other programming thread is for people who are Never Wrong to post at each other, this one is for us peons

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

actually the other programming thread is just maven mailing list

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
terrible programmer here 🙋‍♂️🐱‍👓

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im just being terrible coworker and audibly giggling as the fallout from deleted prod database seeps in

like is that it? end of the company?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

JawnV6 posted:

why do you need a magnetometer at all?

so that the compass knows which way it's pointing, and then (along with its gps coords and those obtained from goog maps) can turn the arrow to point the right direction. in theory.

given that i'm doing it the odd lunchtime here and there i aim to be complete in 10 years or so. then i'll start on the drone/amateur rocketry dream which is why i'm doing all this poo poo in the first place

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gonadic io posted:

like is that it? end of the company?

nah, it’s a new recently launched product that is our attempt to expand into a different field of our industry, so it’s not the end of the world by any means. worst case scenario we will incur direct losses in low six digits of usd - in case the nightly backup was yet another spur of the moment lie or unfinished feature

too early to tell right now since when we discovered the problem it was 9pm in our it timezone

it’s just funny, in a sad way, to watch crisis scenario happen after being softly told to gently caress off with process improvement proposal aimed at remediation of such problems

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

another cjs: our developers on a different product don’t know why double digit % of records in one of they key tables of their database have their updated_at field changed each night when the records otherwise are unaltered

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

cinci zoo sniper posted:

another cjs: our developers on a different product don’t know why double digit % of records in one of they key tables of their database have their updated_at field changed each night when the records otherwise are unaltered

sounds like a nightly backup process to me :q:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
ctps: about to get murdered in this meeting.

basically, i set up our sso configuration a while back. i did the needful. however, our entire authentication/user model just doesn't work with sso and i've been very clear that the system is super messy and really not ready for actual users.

annnnyhow, a major client is getting on-boarded and it turns out somebody told them we have a functioning enterprise sso system. last status update i gave was "yeah it works for internal users but that's it until somebody tells me to do more work." and i'm getting messages asking "why doesn't it work", etc. (it's not as lovely as it sounds, totally not my fault but i'm not getting blamed, yet).

if i werent so checked out i'd be stressed but i just don't give a poo poo.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 17, 2018

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

it’s just funny, in a sad way, to watch crisis scenario happen after being softly told to gently caress off with process improvement proposal aimed at remediation of such problems

agreedo

we are all waiting for what manner of fuckup will occur off the back of multiple years of "IT spend too much money you're on a hiring freeze, no replacememts" which means that we have multiple globally critical apps supported by literally one person that knows what they're doing and if they're lucky maybe a grad or intern

already there was one semi critical fuckup attributed to "steve was on holiday" lol

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yep this sucks

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
It took me a little over a year, but this programming baby finally broke the baseline.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
cjs: Handling a corner case where a user logs in, but isn't in the vendor's database, so the API call to get their details returns null. Can't figure out why my "if (vendorId == null)" check isn't working. Turns out our code "handles" this situation by creating a fake, empty user details object with the ID set to "-NONE-". I just got rid of that empty object altogether and everything works fine.

Edit: Oh no meant to post this in the cjs thread

CPColin fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 17, 2018

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

CPColin posted:

cjs: Handling a corner case where a user logs in, but isn't in the vendor's database, so the API call to get their details returns null. Can't figure out why my "if (vendorId == null)" check isn't working. Turns out our code "handles" this situation by creating a fake, empty user details object with the ID set to "-NONE-". I just got rid of that empty object altogether and everything works fine.

are you sure there's not some other component that will break when it receives null instead of a fake user object

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

agreedo

we are all waiting for what manner of fuckup will occur off the back of multiple years of "IT spend too much money you're on a hiring freeze, no replacememts" which means that we have multiple globally critical apps supported by literally one person that knows what they're doing and if they're lucky maybe a grad or intern

already there was one semi critical fuckup attributed to "steve was on holiday" lol

we currently also have “our it is being overwhelmed by tasks so we have hired student interns with access to our prod to solve problems” while cto is busy double time to hire as many of his friends into his team and take as many critical developments on them as possible to make him politically irreplaceable before the poo poo of corporate reorganisation hits his fan :thunk:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

also we have no docs for anything so if any developer team leader is on vacation then it’s “boss knows but is vacationing” season

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

DaTroof posted:

are you sure there's not some other component that will break when it receives null instead of a fake user object

Not 100%, because this is Groovy and Groovy is poo poo at doing any kind of null analysis, but I'm pretty close to 100% sure, considering the previous developer who wrote this code sprinkled defensive null checks everywhere, despite also being the developer who wrote the code that ensures the details object will never actually be null. Swish!

Also if the user isn't in the vendor's database, nothing on the vendor's side is going to work anyway, so whatever.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

cinci zoo sniper posted:

also we have no docs for anything so if any developer team leader is on vacation then it’s “boss knows but is vacationing” season

at least that skips the step where you look up the doc, read it, and then realize that the actual design has changed completely since then and no one bothered to update the doc

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

at least that skips the step where you look up the doc, read it, and then realize that the actual design has changed completely since then and no one bothered to update the doc

have you been reading my specifications?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

god drat it :negative:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

and then don't bother to update the doc yourself

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
hey hey hey hey get your cutter comp backwards everyday

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

gonadic io posted:

and then don't bother to update the doc yourself

not my job and if i've figured out the real design it's not like i need the doc anymore

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

hey computer

WHAT

how big is a char

A CHAR IS 0x001 BIG

char *anArray = new char[100];

OK

what's &anArray?

0x6000

convenient. what's the address of the first element

0x6000

and the second?

0x6004

wa.... wahat?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

flakeloaf posted:

hey computer

WHAT

how big is a char

A CHAR IS 0x001 BIG

char *anArray = new char[100];

OK

what's &anArray?

0x6000

convenient. what's the address of the first element

0x6000

and the second?

0x6004

wa.... wahat?

this makes perfect sense not sure what the issue is.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

this makes perfect sense not sure what the issue is.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

not my job and if i've figured out the real design it's not like i need the doc anymore

oh gently caress i forgot how this thing actually works why the gently caress did i not write it down last time???

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

if i define an array explicitly with char asdf[100], the element[i] of asdf will be i bytes away from wherever asdf[0] is

but if i declare it with char *ptrAsdf[100], then element[i] of asdf is 4i bytes away from asdf[0] and that's why i'm confused

doubly confused because on onlinegdb both arrays' elements are 1 byte apart

the answer is that i'm bad at c++ and i'm cool with that much, i just don't know why i'm getting 2 different answers to the same question

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
char *ptrAsdf[100] declares an array of 100 char pointers, which are 32 bits each on your machine

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
one of those is an array of chars and the other one is an array of char pointers.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

oh gently caress me

thanks i need a break

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
always put the * next to the base type, not the variable name! it's part of the type!

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

flakeloaf posted:

oh gently caress me

thanks i need a break

word

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

infinitely more likely to read this thread than the documentation i have wide open on configuring a bunch of poo poo i need to do in python

the in python part makes it part of this thread and thats ok

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i really like python ive found it very easy to work with and get stuff done in as long as i never ever have to deploy it outside one specific environment

now i have to deploy it outside that env and gotta figure out conda or venvs, cant deploy a full containerized thing

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Share Bear posted:

i really like python ive found it very easy to work with and get stuff done in as long as i never ever have to deploy it outside one specific environment

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

lol i waste so much time wondering why i can't hit my servlets before remembering to add host="*" to the server config

and each time i forget to check that