Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

always put the * next to the base type, not the variable name! it's part of the type!

hi i'm a half-forgotten book from 1997 with an important announcement about asterisks

gently caress them and malloc too

(thanks i was kinda wondering about that)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

no you must always preserve the space, all the way to objective-c return types

- (NSString *)name forever

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

always put the * next to the base type, not the variable name! it's part of the type!
int* ptr1, ptr2;

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

JawnV6 posted:

int* ptr1, ptr2;

this always bugged me enough that i would never declare 2 variables on the same line because of it.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
as you drat well should

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

char *foo looks better than char* foo

Fight me. :colbert:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

ratbert90 posted:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

gonadic io posted:

so that the compass knows which way it's pointing, and then (along with its gps coords and those obtained from goog maps) can turn the arrow to point the right direction. in theory.

given that i'm doing it the odd lunchtime here and there i aim to be complete in 10 years or so. then i'll start on the drone/amateur rocketry dream which is why i'm doing all this poo poo in the first place

oh of course, you need the actual one to do the offset

i had it in my head that it was a stopping point before building the full thing, dunno why i whiffed that

my spare time fantasy project is wiring up a SPI thermal imaging module to a ESP8266, like it _should_ be possible but I'm reluctant to go digging thru data sheets in my off hours

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
Another terrible programmer checking in. I'm so sick of JavaScript frameworks that I fantasise about embedded C programming (following SHOEGAZE's posts vicariously ITT) and everyone I've ever worked with professionally thinks TDD "isn't worth it" which seems to be code for "I don't understand it and don't intend to"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Share Bear posted:

i really like python ive found it very easy to work with and get stuff done in as long as i never ever have to deploy it outside one specific environment

now i have to deploy it outside that env and gotta figure out conda or venvs, cant deploy a full containerized thing

if you dep to windows the conda env is an option, otherwise (and maybe in general) check out pipenv, it’s the new hotness

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
Lately I'm entering a curious new phase of terribleness where all my functions look bug free but nothing works. Not until debugging/linting do I see / remember that I once again have forgotten to write any return statements. 9 times out of 10 this is my only problem, it's been happening for about a week and my brain is of no help when I'm actually writing out the function. Logic done? Then I'm done, who cares about returning values, the fact that they were ever computed should be enough.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

cinci zoo sniper posted:

if you dep to windows the conda env is an option, otherwise (and maybe in general) check out pipenv, it’s the new hotness

quote:

Pipenv is a dependency manager for Python projects. If you’re familiar with Node.js’ npm

is where i stopped reading

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Soricidus posted:

is where i stopped reading

enjoy platform-agnostic python deployment planning i guess

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

hi i'm a half-forgotten book from 1997 with an important announcement about asterisks

gently caress them and malloc too

(thanks i was kinda wondering about that)
this is my life right now as I write the storage layer for our new RDBMS

It’s pointer arithmetic and reinterpret_casts all the way down

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
hey its me the most terrible of all programmers, writing javascript is the highlight of my day

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
jabascript is becoming a dangerous reality for us because we would like to use gce's functions where js (and ts) are the only options. i dunno if we'd care enough to use wasm or scalajs or make a native module that the js calls

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

ratbert90 posted:

char * foo; the equitable arrangement

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

josh04 posted:

char * foo; the equitable arrangement

congrats, now both sides see you as a filthy collaborator

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
terrible manager that sometimes programs checking in

i write python and java when i get the chance but mostly i tell other teams how they should write their code

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

flakeloaf posted:

char *anArray = new char[100];

OK

what's &anArray?

Nope, this is where you hosed up.

&anArray is a pointer to a pointer to your 100 chars.

That being said where did you get that other pointer, like from (&anArray)[1] or something?

Also nice 32 bit dev machine for a clown to use at etc etc

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
javascript is the worst thing there is. gently caress everyone who thinks it was ever a good idea.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Person who is not even good enough to call himself a bad programmer, checking in.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
JavaScript is fine.

mystes
May 31, 2006

'javascript' < 'the worst thing there is'

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
that either returns true, false, nan, null or undefined in js. of that i am reasonably certain

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Share Bear posted:

i really like python ive found it very easy to work with and get stuff done in as long as i never ever have to deploy it outside one specific environment

now i have to deploy it outside that env and gotta figure out conda or venvs, cant deploy a full containerized thing

pyinstaller? idk

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Shaggar posted:

javascript is the worst thing there is. gently caress everyone who thinks it was ever a good idea.

shaggar

was

RIGHT

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Kilometres Davis posted:

I'm so sick of JavaScript frameworks

I saw this on Twitter, I think it applies to any JS thing not just React,

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Shaggar posted:

nah php is way worse

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

ruby is worse too

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
basically any language used to write medical software has to be garbage. I think there is some kind of rule

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Sapozhnik posted:

Nope, this is where you hosed up.

&anArray is a pointer to a pointer to your 100 chars.

That being said where did you get that other pointer, like from (&anArray)[1] or something?

Also nice 32 bit dev machine for a clown to use at etc etc

yup i befuckled it

course fun, so what

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Blinkz0rz posted:

nah php is way worse

until recently i would have agreed with you, but consider the following counterpoint: php code runs on computers belonging to the company that created or purchased that garbage. javascript code runs on your computer

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

niles no!

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

quote:

Corporation, a leader in emergency communication, is looking for a Senior Embedded Software Engineer to join its design team in our offices in Michigan. The design team is focused on building and maintaining company’s suite of products, and provides engineers with a well-rounded experience that will not compartmentalize them to one project, system or process. The Senior Embedded Software Engineer will be responsible for:

Devising system architecture and requirements for innovative embedded software products
Integrating and validating embedded systems
Developing detailed designs to meet product specifications
Collaborating with team members on active projects
Communicating tasks, risks, road blockers to project stakeholders
Working with third party partners through development cycle
Continuous improvement through testing and analysis
Ideal candidates will have experience in:

C/C++ languages
Familiarity with scripting engines like Python
Linux and Linux drivers (SE Linux experience a plus)
Ethernet drivers and networking
Bootloaders such as Uboot
Low level driver writing
Code version control
Hardware debugging
Working independently on development projects
Entrepreneurial work environment (start-ups, small business)
Desire to learn new technologies outside of current skill sets
Iteration and rapid prototype development
Audio (SIP) and/or video libraries a plus
Job Type: Full-time

They basically took what I told them my old job responsibilities were and dumped it into a job description .

No salary listed, but my ex coworker said they won’t go above 90k :allears:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 18, 2018

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Blinkz0rz posted:

nah php is way worse

nope. php is definitely better than javascript.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

DELETE CASCADE posted:

until recently i would have agreed with you, but consider the following counterpoint: php code runs on computers belonging to the company that created or purchased that garbage. javascript code runs on your computer

this plus php is a better language in general.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i predict that in 15 years we'll have run out of shitlangs and we will be forced into mocking a larger variety of poo poo things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
in 15 years javascript will still be around and it will still be the worst thing.