Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The Chad Jihad posted:

Theres a guy who does videos dissecting the battle tactics of fictional space battles, which is both the modern version of Deadliest Warrior and I think the only thing worse than tierzoo out there

Deadliest warrior did give us those cheap bushido blade knockoffs so I feel in the end it was justified
Do not speak ill of tierzoo you philistine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

The Chad Jihad posted:

Theres a guy who does videos dissecting the battle tactics of fictional space battles, which is both the modern version of Deadliest Warrior and I think the only thing worse than tierzoo out there
No, the modern version of Deadliest Warrior is Death Battle, a web show about a mad scientist and a hillbilly trying to figure out what would happen if Mario and Sonic decided they wanted to spill each other’s guts. To be honest, I watch every episode just to skip to the actual fights at the end, which are pretty good for being made by amateurs. The most recent episode with Ryu from Street Fighter and Jin from Tekken was actually one of the best fights they’ve ever done in this regard.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are you referring to Eckhart's Ladder? For the space battles, not Death Battle.

They need to do a rematch between Doomslayer and Master Chief.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Supersonic Shine posted:

No, the modern version of Deadliest Warrior is Death Battle, a web show about a mad scientist and a hillbilly trying to figure out what would happen if Mario and Sonic decided they wanted to spill each other’s guts. To be honest, I watch every episode just to skip to the actual fights at the end, which are pretty good for being made by amateurs. The most recent episode with Ryu from Street Fighter and Jin from Tekken was actually one of the best fights they’ve ever done in this regard.

Oh wow, nerd poo poo I can actually talk about, since I don't know poo poo about any of the people on Deadliest Warrior.

Yeah, Jin vs Ryu is like the first decent fight they've done so far and if the quality stays that high throughout then I'm gonna be thrilled. Some of the fights are complete blowouts and it's real obvious. Like Venom (Bane) vs Venom (Spiderman symbiote)

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I've never seen an episode of the show, but I played the Xbox 360 Deadliest Warrior game way too much. It was kinda like a sequel to Bushido Blade in that you could win fights very quickly, although it was very janky. You could basically pick the Ninja and one of his basic combos was enough to take out everyone else's entire energy bar. Still fun though - just pick the Knight and spend half the fight taunting and shouting "HEATHEN SCUM".

I got the sequel too which featured actual historical figures instead of generic archetypes but it was really poo poo.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I for, one hope they keep having superman beat goku every time goku gets a new form

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Great I now need a gif of superman lasering Goku’s eyes while Goku’s Saiyan hair rapidlu changes color.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yardbomb posted:

SADDAM HUSSEIN VS POL POT, NO, NOT REPUBLICAN GUARD VS KHMER ROUGE, THE GUYS THEMSELVES. (Saddam won)

I mean, correct result but still, what

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Oh wow, nerd poo poo I can actually talk about, since I don't know poo poo about any of the people on Deadliest Warrior.

Yeah, Jin vs Ryu is like the first decent fight they've done so far and if the quality stays that high throughout then I'm gonna be thrilled. Some of the fights are complete blowouts and it's real obvious. Like Venom (Bane) vs Venom (Spiderman symbiote)
Torrian Crawford, their 3D animator, is easily the best they’ve got. It takes him a while to get his fights done, but the end products are usually a good notch or two above the usual battle. Balrog vs. TJ Combo shouldn’t have looked as good as it did.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I will never not appreciate how they got Chris Sabat and Chris Ragerto voice Smokey the Bear vs McGruff the Crime Dog

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Vegeta versus Shadow episode was great because they got Lanipator to do his DBZA voice and just poo poo talk shadow the whole time.

Some of their fights are lame though. The Boba Fett versus Samus fight or the Batman Beyond Versus Spiderman 2040 were over in seconds.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, correct result but still, what

While that episode owned in the dumbest way, one of the worst might've been where they give Waffen SS the win over the Viet Cong, gonna call bullshit on that one in the first place, but they also shoulda made it Hitler vs Ho Chi Minh since it was already into maximum stupid by then.

Other notable mentions include Pancho Villa vs Crazy Horse (Pancho won), Sun Tzu vs Vlad the Impaler (Vlad won), Jesse James vs Al Capone (James gang wiiiiins) and Teddy Roosevelt vs Lawrence of Arabia. (Ted wins)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

My favorite thing about Deadliest Warrior is how much they hype up the powerful computer simulation program and then they quickly pan by the guy's computer screen and it's just Excel.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

sexpig by night posted:

Deadliest Warrior was great because it was just some of the dumbest people they could find saying 'yea see a Roman soldier was trained in tactics and cunning as well as fighting' vs 'the spartans were a band of brothers who fought as one single mind' when like every first hand account was just 'we spent a week training the new guys to hold their sword by the handle' and 'I joined the spartan army to get away from my bitch wife and be around my fuckbuddy'

That show was glorious.

I want a channel like Discovery to do a series inspired by it simply called "Internet argument", where we get a few people together to have to lay out their pedantic long-form diatribe against one another with a camera rolling and CG models showing why Captain Kirk could easily beat up Han Solo.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Call me no fun, but I legitimately kind of hate Deadliest Warrior and it's ilk since it gives people just the worst understanding of history and boils it all down to throwing action figures against each other.

You'd be surprised how seriously people take it, I remember leaving a derisive comment on the IRA vs Taliban thing on Facebook and there were 20 people going 'Excuse me! This is proper educational TV and way better than Jersey Shore (?!?) or whatever'.

It reminds me of those crappy dinosaur documentaries you see on Discovery or History channel where the CGI sucks, the science is super shallow and often wrong and most of the time it's just TRex screaming at stuff and acting like a videogame enemy.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 17, 2018

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The only one like that which I can think of is Jurassic Fight Club, which is indeed terrible.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
What was the Animal Planet version where they had CGI animals fight each other? I saw an episode where they spent a long time doing mechanical simulations of a gorilla and a cheetah and all that and then once it got to the CGI battle, the cheetah leapt at the gorilla and the gorilla dodged and did some kind of spinning hammer-fist fighting game poo poo on the cheetah's back while it was in mid-air.

I don't know what I thought the show was gonna be but not that.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

can a lightsaber cut through superman

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Can a scientist beat up a wizard in a fistfight?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

lobster22221 posted:

Can a scientist beat up a wizard in a fistfight?

it depends, is the scientist also a wizard

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Terrible Opinions posted:

The only one like that which I can think of is Jurassic Fight Club, which is indeed terrible.

Planet Dinosaur and Dinosaur Planet aren't much better.

Dino documentaries peaked with the BBC's Walking With... series. Everything from the original series to Prehistoric Park is really good stuff. Outdated science aside they gave a drat about showing prehistoric animals as animals and not just killing machines. And they had the BBC nature camera crew getting the perfect landscape shots to superimpose the CGI sinks into.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Junpei Hyde posted:

Yeah, but the wizard has taken dancing lessons.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Junpei Hyde posted:

The scientist is Mr. Wizard.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
I just discovered Simone Giertz's channel and I am quite entertained.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

khwarezm posted:

Call me no fun, but I legitimately kind of hate Deadliest Warrior and it's ilk since it gives people just the worst understanding of history and boils it all down to throwing action figures against each other.

You'd be surprised how seriously people take it, I remember leaving a derisive comment on the IRA vs Taliban thing on Facebook and there were 20 people going 'Excuse me! This is proper educational TV and way better than Jersey Shore (?!?) or whatever'.

It reminds me of those crappy dinosaur documentaries you see on Discovery or History channel where the CGI sucks, the science is super shallow and often wrong and most of the time it's just TRex screaming at stuff and acting like a videogame enemy.

yeah i can agree with that, as someone who got a BA in history, its bad, but its sadly better then poo poo i have seen on the history channel. this stuff is atleast trying to pass it self off as fun, but i have seen documentries that just get tons of poo poo wrong, like big stuff. The World Wars miniseries and that houdini documovie.

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

What was the Animal Planet version where they had CGI animals fight each other? I saw an episode where they spent a long time doing mechanical simulations of a gorilla and a cheetah and all that and then once it got to the CGI battle, the cheetah leapt at the gorilla and the gorilla dodged and did some kind of spinning hammer-fist fighting game poo poo on the cheetah's back while it was in mid-air.

I don't know what I thought the show was gonna be but not that.

i remeber that vaguely this. here is one i remember its national geographic show about cobras which while informative, it has the dumbest set up and narration ever. plus alot of it is "posed" and "set up".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUOaoPG_k-Q&t

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Planet Dinosaur and Dinosaur Planet aren't much better.

Dino documentaries peaked with the BBC's Walking With... series. Everything from the original series to Prehistoric Park is really good stuff. Outdated science aside they gave a drat about showing prehistoric animals as animals and not just killing machines. And they had the BBC nature camera crew getting the perfect landscape shots to superimpose the CGI sinks into.

I always appreciate the Walking With series and especially the way that they went to lengths to shoot in places where the vegetation is as close to the Mesozoic as possible (one episode of Walking With Dinosaurs is set in the Jurassic oceans and was shot around the coast of New Caledonia, it looks so weird), Walking With Monsters is probably the worst of those series but I very much like the way that it's one of the only major documentaries looking at life on earth before the dinosaurs, Permian Synapsids don't get nearly enough love beyond crappy Dimetrodon toys.

Still some of the stuff is pretty cringy in retrospect, by 1999 they really should have known to put feathers on small dinosaurs like Dromaeosaurs (though I get that they might have constrained by the CGI technology and budget available), even the aforementioned lovely History channel dinosaur documentaries are getting pretty good about that at least. There's also some other dumb stuff where rule of cool overrode actual solid science like the way they made Liopleurodon and Tropeognathus absurdly massive based on what was then very dodgy evidence that has since totally fallen out of favor (in the show Liopleurodon is 25 meters long or something ridiculous like that, in reality they were probably only 6 or 7 meters though some of their relatives might have gotten up to around 15 meters).

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

fallenturtle posted:

They had already been doing lots of reality-tv and pseudo-science shows about aliens and what not years before Deadliest Catch premiered.

discovery had been doing them and was in a slow decline as it was, but it wasn't all they did, and i don't think history did them at all yet. i don't recall any of those channels relying anywhere near so fuckin heavily on that format until after deadliest catch came out and made gangbusters.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Really the worst thing History did was cancel Wild West Tech.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Thompsons posted:

Really the worst thing History did was cancel Wild West Tech.

i loved that show. the one where they decide to slam two trains into each other is facinating. like how did they think that was a good idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8pHNvBBhfM&list=PLvb4WYGBoD86DlKbPDSKbD6IIFtaFi53b

also history lost and found is great too.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Was this posted here? Simone Giertz came out of brain surgery and it seems to have been very successful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-INz4XVeyJ4

I don't watch her stuff but it's very heartening to see this.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Outside of the weapon demonstrations my favourite part of the Deadliest Warrior was when they'd start the battle and it would just been some ninja walking through a random forest and encountering a Spartan. Then at the end when the ninja loses the ninja expert would say "yeah, the ninja would have just poisoned the Spartans food." Also when the IT nerd would say "eh, that doesn't look deadly." then the doctor would come in and say "actually that would kill a man."

That Simone Giertz channel looks amazing.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

bessantj posted:

Outside of the weapon demonstrations my favourite part of the Deadliest Warrior was when they'd start the battle and it would just been some ninja walking through a random forest and encountering a Spartan. Then at the end when the ninja loses the ninja expert would say "yeah, the ninja would have just poisoned the Spartans food." Also when the IT nerd would say "eh, that doesn't look deadly." then the doctor would come in and say "actually that would kill a man."

The best part is that the show starts at this level with Apache vs. Gladiator and then it was just downhill from there until the rock bottom of Vampire vs. Zombie.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FoldableHuman posted:

The best part is that the show starts at this level with Apache vs. Gladiator and then it was just downhill from there until the rock bottom of Vampire vs. Zombie.

Thankfully I was in middle school when I found it so I wasn't getting the annoyance of how terribly the combatants were misrepresented.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Should have just jumped the gun and do pirates vs ninjas

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

Should have just jumped the gun and do Jackie Chan vs Bruce Lee

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

SgtSteel91 posted:

Should have just jumped the gun and do Mike Tyson v Bruce Lee

FoldableHuman posted:

Ha ha screaming "we're out of ideas."

bessantj fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 17, 2018

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Astronaut vs caveman

Stalin vs Hitler in a scenario like that Star Trek where Captain Kirk makes gunpowder

Mr. Wizard vs Bill Nye in a standard suburban kitchen

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tyrannosaurus versus King Kong.

khwarezm posted:

I always appreciate the Walking With series and especially the way that they went to lengths to shoot in places where the vegetation is as close to the Mesozoic as possible (one episode of Walking With Dinosaurs is set in the Jurassic oceans and was shot around the coast of New Caledonia, it looks so weird), Walking With Monsters is probably the worst of those series but I very much like the way that it's one of the only major documentaries looking at life on earth before the dinosaurs, Permian Synapsids don't get nearly enough love beyond crappy Dimetrodon toys.

Still some of the stuff is pretty cringy in retrospect, by 1999 they really should have known to put feathers on small dinosaurs like Dromaeosaurs (though I get that they might have constrained by the CGI technology and budget available), even the aforementioned lovely History channel dinosaur documentaries are getting pretty good about that at least. There's also some other dumb stuff where rule of cool overrode actual solid science like the way they made Liopleurodon and Tropeognathus absurdly massive based on what was then very dodgy evidence that has since totally fallen out of favor (in the show Liopleurodon is 25 meters long or something ridiculous like that, in reality they were probably only 6 or 7 meters though some of their relatives might have gotten up to around 15 meters).

The episode dealing with the Permian Triassic Extinction event was so good at showing what an apocalyptic hellscape the Earth was at the time.

What I find more interesting than the inaccuracies is how some of the original show's claims were actually vindicated as time went on. For example, while it is insane to have Utahraptor show up in Europe, science marches on and they discovered bone fragments in Wales indicating another species of giant dromeosaurid lived in the area around that time period. The polar allosaurid from the fifth episode probably didn't exist, but then in 2009 they find a large megaraptoran called Australovenator which while a separate genus altogether, would have filled the same role in the food chain.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 17, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Superman vs Batman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Fascists vs Anti-Fascists

Pit two of the most evil forces western civilization has ever seen!