Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

double nine posted:

so is season 3 going to come to netflix europe, what with the purchase? I've successfully persuaded some friends to start watching, but apparently only seasons 1 & 2 are available right now.

I think there's a 6 month delay from the original release. Because that's obviously a smart business decision and no one will download a car because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

The Terror loving owned lmao
Seriously. It's difficult to imagine how it could have been any better than it was, and I'm still kind of amazed that something like that got made.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

bloom posted:

I think there's a 6 month delay from the original release. Because that's obviously a smart business decision and no one will download a car because of it.

I have netflix and i download cars everyday

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

bloom posted:

I read that it's because they have to do subtitles and apparently subtitles are hard.

The thing that really bothers me about the Netflix release is that they have the cheek to put "Netflix Original" it when they have nothing to do with the production and we get it 6 months late.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Chalks posted:

I read that it's because they have to do subtitles and apparently subtitles are hard.

Yet somehow pirate groups manage to put out subtitles in a dozen languages within 24 hours of an episode being released in the US.

It's mind-boggling to me that TV and movie companies apparently haven't looked at the success of things like Steam and iTunes. Just make it easy for people to give you money for your products. That shouldn't be a hard thing to figure out in this day and age.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Chalks posted:

The thing that really bothers me about the Netflix release is that they have the cheek to put "Netflix Original" it when they have nothing to do with the production and we get it 6 months late.

They do that for everything they have exclusive rights to.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Chalks posted:

Oddly enough, Arrested Development opens with a "Netflix Semi-Original" card. But it's more tongue in cheek I suppose.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Everything Arrested Development does is tongue in cheek. In the first iteration of the Netflix season, the footage of the original show had "Show Stealer Pro" watermarks all over it.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

They do that for everything they have exclusive rights to.

Exclusive rights as in it's also available on prime. Is it delayed by more than 6 months on prime or something?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Chalks posted:

Exclusive rights as in it's also available on prime. Is it delayed by more than 6 months on prime or something?

Netflix has international rights, Amazon has US streaming rights.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Netflix has international rights, Amazon has US streaming rights.

Looks like amazon only streams season 1 in the UK so I guess Netflix has a limited exclusivity window. Still though, it's not what "original" means at all.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Chalks posted:

Looks like amazon only streams season 1 in the UK so I guess Netflix has a limited exclusivity window. Still though, it's not what "original" means at all.

Well I'm sorry that upsets you.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Well I'm sorry that upsets you.

It's the same label Netflix use for things they make themselves, right? Don't you find that misleading at all?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Chalks posted:

It's the same label Netflix use for things they make themselves, right? Don't you find that misleading at all?

Amazon does the same thing. If Amazon has exclusive rights to some British show in the US they call it an Amazon Original despite the show being produced by Channel 4 or BBC or whatever.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Today I found Elizabeth Mitchell was Mrs Claus in the Santa Claus 2 and 3.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Mu Zeta posted:

Amazon does the same thing. If Amazon has exclusive rights to some British show in the US they call it an Amazon Original despite the show being produced by Channel 4 or BBC or whatever.

Yeah, it's no different than NBC saying Scrubs was an NBC show when it was produced by ABC or Star Wars having the 20th Century Fox logo to start when it was produced by Lucasfilm. The distributor gets to put whatever they want in front of that poo poo.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
My own desire for an Expanse Christmas Special aside, is there any discussion given to religion or holidays in the setting? Santa's elflowda come down airlock wit presents fo gut kids and tungsten slugs for bad?

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Santa's elflowda

This makes me want a whole album of Belter Christmas music.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

ZorajitZorajit posted:

My own desire for an Expanse Christmas Special aside, is there any discussion given to religion or holidays in the setting? Santa's elflowda come down airlock wit presents fo gut kids and tungsten slugs for bad?

Why would you want a Christmas Special? And I think the pastor lady subplot in the last few episodes of Season 3 are the only ones where they explore any spirituality, unless you're asking about future s4 plans.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The mormons knew where they were going.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Not really Expanse related, but Amazon is making a show out of Simon Stålenhag's Tales From The Loop art/RPG thing!!!
https://io9.gizmodo.com/amazon-is-turning-simon-stalenhags-tales-from-the-loop-1827663676

Anyways, zero idea whos producing or writing or anything, but I am obsessed with this guy's art and I can't wait to see some giant smiley face mech things

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 18, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

An entire show out of the premise of "huge futuristic/commercial objects on the horizon with 70's-80's european cars in the foreground" ??

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
/\/\ maybe it will be like Children of Men vibe but with aliens? I think that's probably the best hope/\/\

Baronjutter posted:

The mormons knew where they were going.

Is this show like wholly or partially funded by the Mormon church by the way?

The inclusion of space Mormons was always really weird, but aside from that one conversation with Miller on his first spaceship ride it was never a big central story arc. But still, like Space Mormons building an arc? I mean it's just such a specific thing.

Serf
May 5, 2011

the Tales From the Loop RPG is pretty cool. i hope they use that as inspiration for the show

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Morphix posted:

I mean, shouldn't you actually be asking the authors of the book that? :shobon:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Morphix posted:

/\/\ maybe it will be like Children of Men vibe but with aliens? I think that's probably the best hope/\/\

The inclusion of space Mormons was always really weird, but aside from that one conversation with Miller on his first spaceship ride it was never a big central story arc. But still, like Space Mormons building an arc? I mean it's just such a specific thing.

Mormons were just the best choice. They are already known for realizing no one wants them where they are and just loving off into the void.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Serf posted:

the Tales From the Loop RPG is pretty cool. i hope they use that as inspiration for the show

Thats what they're doing I think. I just know the guy's art, never even heard of the RPG until now.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

feedmegin posted:

I mean, shouldn't you actually be asking the authors of the book that? :shobon:

haha good point. I checked the wiki on the authors and doesn't mention anything about Mormons. So does it explain why Mormons were still around as such a major religion so far in the future? And why not like Catholics or just Christians, or gently caress Muslims. So many more dominant religions in the world today than Mormonism that I could see surviving well into the future before I'd ever think of Mormons. And they must be pretty well off to be able to fund the largest ship ever build in history.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
The authors have said that the whole Anna character was motivated by some readers coming away from the first book with the idea that Mormonism is the only religion left.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Toast Museum posted:

The authors have said that the whole Anna character was motivated by some readers coming away from the first book with the idea that Mormonism is the only religion left.

That's even more confusing. Because I didn't even connect in my head that Anna was a Mormon from the TV, I just thought she was like some non-denominational pastor.

So Mormonism in the Expanse is the only religion left eh?

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Morphix posted:

That's even more confusing. Because I didn't even connect in my head that Anna was a Mormon from the TV, I just thought she was like some non-denominational pastor.

wtf? That's like the exact opposite of what was just posted. Smoking your famous weed again?

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Morphix posted:

Good to see your reading comprehension is as good as your TV watching comprehension. Anna is a Methodist pastor, as mentioned many times in the show. Mormonism is not the only religion left. They're prominent in the setting because they're rich enough to fund the greatest engineering project in human history, and because they're all over the solar system knocking on doors like they always have.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

EmptyVessel posted:

wtf? That's like the exact opposite of what was just posted. Smoking your famous weed again?

I mean it's 9:36am sooo, yes

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Mormons are a recognizable organized religion that hasn’t spawned a ton of ex-members in the US yet. They are there because Americans would recognize them as the religion that could and would fund a project like that.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

crazypeltast52 posted:

They are there because Americans would recognize them as the religion that could and would fund a project like that.

or Scientology

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

or Scientology

I doubt that the people making the money off Scientology actually believe that flinging themselves into the cosmos would be a good idea.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Morphix posted:

They chose Mormons because, as a bunch of white dudes with practically unlimited church money and a religious doctrine centered around colonizing other planets: they seemed the most likely group willing to undertake such an endeavor. A generation ship is an inherently cruel device: consigning generations to a slavery they have no ability to escape, so religious fanatics seemed the best choice.
:shrug:

Obligatory plug for Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson, an amazing take on emergent AI and the problems inherent to subluminal star travel.

Also, Anna isn't Mormon, she's Methodist or something? Episcopalian?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

OB_Juan posted:

This makes me want a whole album of Belter Christmas music.

If you've been bad, Belta Claus brings you an oxygen canister.

If you've been good, Belta Claus brings you an oxygen canister with oxygen in it.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Wait, Tales from the Loop was pitched to me as "Stranger Things but an RPG." So this is an Amazon show, derived from an RPG, themed after a show, themed after 35 year old nostalgia? That's several cuils gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Wait, Tales from the Loop was pitched to me as "Stranger Things but an RPG." So this is an Amazon show, derived from an RPG, themed after a show, themed after 35 year old nostalgia? That's several cuils gone.

i believe stalenhag's art predates stranger things, and also has a significantly different tone to it than the show