Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Its quite likely I misinterpreted their instructions.

Will double check with them today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I got my first submission with just my legs last night! I caught a triangle from top position in north-south. He reached an arm under one of my legs to try and grab my belt I think and somehow managed to close it on the guy without having to use my arms. Then I just held his hips down so he couldn't get any leverage and tightened the triangle until he tapped. He said it was actually choking him not just pressure.

I have no idea how I actually got my legs into the right place, but it worked so hopefully I can figure out how to do it again.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

mariooncrack posted:

Anyone else watch Quintet 2?

Haisam Rida is a beast

Is this up on Flograppling? There has never been a time where I wanted to get a subscription (because you still gets ads despite paying for a subscription) so bad just to watch it.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Is this up on Flograppling? There has never been a time where I wanted to get a subscription (because you still gets ads despite paying for a subscription) so bad just to watch it.

UFC Fightpass

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I could see where crossing your ankles around someone in closed guard could get your ankles injured. If you're straining to cross over them, if for example; your legs are too short or their torso too big, you manage to cross your ankles and they suddenly postured backwards with a ton of force. Though if you can easily wrap around them for closed guard it shouldn't be an issue though.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

As a short legged person who plays a little closed guard, I have not had that be an issue. It's a strain to close my guard a lot of times and fairly easy to open but never felt like I was going to get my ankles hurt. High guard is key for those of us who are length challenged.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

JaySB posted:

I feel like that's terrible. Actually closing your guard helps break posture and control distance.

Yeah, I'm not good by any means and my BJJ knowledge when it comes to the whole development and competition meta is basically in ~2012 still, but I've literally never heard that.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I don't recall ever being told not to cross my ankles in closed guard.

Here is Roger employing the closed guard with ankles crossed.

https://youtu.be/X8Qhl-jmeNs

Yuns fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 17, 2018

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

butros posted:

UFC Fightpass

Ahh thanks. Whats the better deal in terms of content? Flo grappling or UFC Fight Pass? Flograppling is great but I hate all the page ads despite still paying.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 17, 2018

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I don't have Flo but I think Fightpass is a pretty good deal - it's cheaper per month and you get all of EBI, Quinet, a bunch of Polaris, some ADCC etc. If you like MMA then obviously it's a black hole of old fights which increases the value proposition. I haven't tried to cancel because I keep finding stuff I want to watch but it's like $11/mo which is doable for me.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

butros posted:

I don't have Flo but I think Fightpass is a pretty good deal - it's cheaper per month and you get all of EBI, Quinet, a bunch of Polaris, some ADCC etc. If you like MMA then obviously it's a black hole of old fights which increases the value proposition. I haven't tried to cancel because I keep finding stuff I want to watch but it's like $11/mo which is doable for me.

Can you watch both quintets on it now that they're over? It would totally be worth $11 to watch those.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

L0cke17 posted:

Can you watch both quintets on it now that they're over? It would totally be worth $11 to watch those.

Yes and and you can also watch the Fight Night they had between the first two events. Lower profile fighters but still cool.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Wangsbig posted:

captain americana. my arch gym nemesis is known as professor single leg x

If that's a real nickname, you should get a tattoo of it. That's rad.

I was "The Lion" because I once forgot my mouthpiece and rolled really hard. My teeth got covered in blood. Ninja (instructor) said, "You have the heart of a lion. You have mouth of the lion. You are lion!"

Of course I promptly had to move for a job forever making that nickname loving moot. :(

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
when people say Roger hasn't been submitted since blue belt, do they just mean in competition or ?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

starkebn posted:

when people say Roger hasn't been submitted since blue belt, do they just mean in competition or ?
They mean in competition not in training.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Ok checked with my instructor and I was totally wrong. No idea what I misinterpreted to think I couldn't cross ankles.

Which is good news because it means I can do it now

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Unless I have my wires crossed closed guard is frowned upon now because of how BJJ rules score defensive stuff like that vs more aggro stuff that scores you points.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ok checked with my instructor and I was totally wrong. No idea what I misinterpreted to think I couldn't cross ankles.

Which is good news because it means I can do it now

Lmao

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Let me guess: white belt?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

If your ankles aren't crossed, you're in open guard.

spb posted:

Don't be a dick

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Novum posted:

Unless I have my wires crossed closed guard is frowned upon now because of how BJJ rules score defensive stuff like that vs more aggro stuff that scores you points.

I don't think competition scoring has changed in a long time though?

Closed guard is basically a static, defensive position. You learn it when you're new because its easy to do and you're constantly on the defensive. Its frowned upon because it doesn't actually do anything but stave off defeat for a bit, but this is the bread and butter of a white belt.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

spb posted:

Ayup. My own dumb fault.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Count Roland posted:

I don't think competition scoring has changed in a long time though?

Closed guard is basically a static, defensive position. You learn it when you're new because its easy to do and you're constantly on the defensive. Its frowned upon because it doesn't actually do anything but stave off defeat for a bit, but this is the bread and butter of a white belt.

My coach says if we're spending more than 10-15 seconds in closed guard before opening it to make an attack we've probably already lost. The only reason he says to stay longer is if they seem to be putting out a lot of energy you hold to tire them out but as soon as they stop moving you need to be on the attack.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Don't be a dick

I'm a white belt also so give me this, please

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Every single black (or brown or purple or blue) belt was a white belt once. Every single one of us has done dumb things and asked stupid questions and learned from mistakes. White belt teasing is cool but white belt shaming is not.

So I've picked up the Lachlan Giles set and I've been watching it on my phone while camping/driving etc. Weirdly enough this DVD set is exactly my game. So far it has revealed very few new moves, but holy poo poo different combinations and details and different directions to go in certain situations. Several of them have been total galaxy brain moments for me, particularly the roll to inverted north south off of Z guard and the d'arce from side/scarf as these fit like a goddamn puzzle piece into places that I'm already going and things that I'm already doing. Every single thing he shows makes me feel like an idiot for not having noticed it before.

Thanks to those who recommended it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
what the hell is with multiple people construing that gentle ribbing as shaming?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Because it's hard to infer tone on the internet and we're all horrible people.

You have emotes! Use them to help goons understand jokes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I was clarifying for the white belts who were starting to get all weird about being white belts.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Closed guard is life. How else you gonna play RG?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I understand closed guard to be any time you have your legs around someone instead of posting your feet on to them (open guard), or under them (butterfly), whether your ankles are crossed or not. Also, I've heard the commentators of ACBJJ (Brulio Estima and co) say that the highest percentage of sweeps come from closed guard.

Nothing wrong with closed guard.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

If your legs are not closed, your guard is open...

starkebn
May 18, 2004

JaySB posted:

If your legs are not closed, your guard is open...

It's less well defined than that

E: but it's hardly something worth having an argument about, and if I'm wrong, well, whatever.

starkebn fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jul 18, 2018

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I saw this as an ad on Instagram. Apparently there's a championship tournament this weekend and Craig Jones is gonna be there.

Guess I know what I'm gonna go do.

https://www.spyderchampionship.com/jiujitsu/competition/matches?lang=en

starkebn
May 18, 2004

DJ Jackson just beat him no-gi in Melbourne, interesting matchup. I don't think Craig has competed in the gi for a while has he?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Drewjitsu posted:

Because it's hard to infer tone on the internet and we're all horrible people.

You have emotes! Use them to help goons understand jokes.

I mean for its worth I didn't take it as an insult

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

starkebn posted:

DJ Jackson just beat him no-gi in Melbourne, interesting matchup. I don't think Craig has competed in the gi for a while has he?

Competed no, but he still trains in it according to flo grappling footage i've seen.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

L0cke17 posted:

Thats exactly what I was thinking. I signed up for the free preview and watched the first part of Quitent 2 last night and watched Haisam dominate the Tiger MT guys. Lots of good content, def seems like a better deal than Flo.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 18, 2018

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like Fight Pass way more than pretty much any comparable service out there.

Not that its due to being a UFC fanboy but because you just get way more content to watch and its usually higher quality. If you're signing up just for grappling, just keep in mind that EBI, Polaris, and Quintet aren't on like every week or month but you can watch the old matches etc. so if you've missed those they're on there. Some of the old ADCCs are too.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Mekchu posted:

I like Fight Pass way more than pretty much any comparable service out there.

Not that its due to being a UFC fanboy but because you just get way more content to watch and its usually higher quality. If you're signing up just for grappling, just keep in mind that EBI, Polaris, and Quintet aren't on like every week or month but you can watch the old matches etc. so if you've missed those they're on there. Some of the old ADCCs are too.

I just resubscribe every once in a while and watch the grappling stuff I missed. It's great value that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Quintet 2 was awesome. Loved seeing 10p go out, have some really tough matches and come out victorious.