Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i predict that in 15 years we'll have run out of shitlangs and we will be forced into mocking a larger variety of poo poo things

no someone at alphabet will have made a decent solution to javascripts problems but not addressed that browser apis also change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Share Bear posted:

no someone at alphabet will have made a decent solution to javascripts problems but not addressed that browser apis also change

sounds like us being forced to mocking a larger variety of poo poo things :thunk:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

JawnV6 posted:

int* ptr1, ptr2;

do compilers give warnings for this sort of declaration?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
seriously considering giving school another go atm. obviously to pursue at least a masters but if i'm gonna do it i guess i should do a phd. i'd have to do most of undergrad though, which would be costly. and weird.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 18, 2018

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

terrible python/c programmer checking in. Will be a terrible rust programmer when the ide situation feels better.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

redleader posted:

do compilers give warnings for this sort of declaration?
it can't really?

int* ptr1, ptr2; // probably wrong
int* ptr1, my_int; // probably right

it'll warn on the conversion if you slap an int in there, but it's a fine declaration otherwise

fake edit: i wanna say MISRA or similar disallows multiple declarations on the same line, but can't find the actual rule

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

moonshine is...... posted:

terrible python/c programmer checking in. Will be a terrible rust programmer when the ide situation feels better.

i'm fine with intellij rust. the big missing feature is intellij refactoring. i find this to be the most painful part of rust. adding a single type parameter or lifetime to a trait is painful, even in my relatively small projects. i cant imagine how annoying it is to modify traits in a larger project (although i guess good modular design helps here).

i've found refactoring to be so painful that i've started building very small vertical prototypes before building a component. which is honestly a really good thing and something i wish i'd started doing sooner.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i guess i should do a phd.
I don't follow your logic

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

JawnV6 posted:

it can't really?

it'll warn on the conversion if you slap an int in there, but it's a fine declaration otherwise

fake edit: i wanna say MISRA or similar disallows multiple declarations on the same line, but can't find the actual rule

things that are "fine" but probably aren't what the author intended are the whole point of warnings

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
a phd is a job
it is basically the worst job in technology. comparable to first line it helpdesk in pay, but somehow more menial and alienating and like 50 times difficult

go get your masters friendo

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah i don’t know what im talking about. i think i just read something stupid about masters being the new bachelors or whatever. i dont know much about academia.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i just want to get the most bang for my buck is what im saying

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i just want to get the most bang for my buck is what im saying

if you wanna do something maybe interesting and never make money at it stay in academia or contribute to open source

if you wanna be overpaid to make the world worse go into commercial web development or mobile apps

if you wanna never have an existential crisis leave technology altogether

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
JavaScript is much better than PHP this thread is insane.

JavaScript’s framework and module ecosystem is easily as bad if not worse though.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

im glad I've never had to touch a javascript or a php

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Kilometres Davis posted:

JavaScript’s framework and module ecosystem is easily as bad if not worse though.

php can theoretically be used as a basic web template language. javascript has no theoretical good uses. its a pile of poo poo used by hacks to make garbage

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Kilometres Davis posted:

why would you even bother saying this

like you're trying to convince someone that drinking a glass of bile is better than drinking a glass of diarrhea

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

DaTroof posted:

why would you even bother saying this

like you're trying to convince someone that drinking a glass of bile is better than drinking a glass of diarrhea

An accurate metaphor for my career path thus far, yes.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

MrMoo posted:

I saw this on Twitter, I think it applies to any JS thing not just React,

i saw the same one at work with '.net' and then again as 'java'

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Kilometres Davis posted:

An accurate metaphor for my career path thus far, yes.

programming.txt

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

akadajet posted:

i saw the same one at work with '.net' and then again as 'java'

it honestly probably applies to anything

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

JawnV6 posted:

it can't really?

gently caress that it should be a compiler error.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

im glad I've never had to touch a javascript or a php

it’s called “being a professional”

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

JawnV6 posted:

I swear when I was messing with MISRA this rule applied, but maybe it’s a Mandela effect going on.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I think you mean the Mengele Effect.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

seriously considering giving school another go atm. obviously to pursue at least a masters but if i'm gonna do it i guess i should do a phd. i'd have to do most of undergrad though, which would be costly. and weird.

if you have 2+ years of experience a masters isn't going to open any doors for you. a phd might -- but mostly doors that should stay closed

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
I still keenly remember the presentation they showed us in first year Uni showing people with masters degrees make more than phds, and are less likely to be rejected for being overqualified.

Might have been local data only though idk it was 10 years ago.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MrMoo posted:

I saw this on Twitter, I think it applies to any JS thing not just React,

im dying

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DaTroof posted:

if you wanna be overpaid to make the world worse go into fintech

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Kilometres Davis posted:

I still keenly remember the presentation they showed us in first year Uni showing people with masters degrees make more than phds, and are less likely to be rejected for being overqualified.

Might have been local data only though idk it was 10 years ago.

were they correcting for amount of industry experience, or was it essentially just saying "doing actual work for X years will get you more promotions than spending those X years on a phd"?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

it can't really?

yeah, i get it - and it's probably fine when you're used to it. i just don't like it. imo the pointer-ness of a variable is a part of its type and should be treated as such. you can't declare an int and a double in one statement, and you shouldn't be able to declare an int and a pointer-to-int in one statement

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

redleader posted:

yeah, i get it - and it's probably fine when you're used to it. i just don't like it. imo the pointer-ness of a variable is a part of its type and should be treated as such. you can't declare an int and a double in one statement, and you shouldn't be able to declare an int and a pointer-to-int in one statement

check out this terrible programmer opinion

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

"I guess i should do a PhD" you should not do a PhD.

4 years of bullshit, being under appreciated under paid and like 60% of PhD thesiseses are never read after completion means that you have to be really self motivated and really want a PhD in order to complete it. "I guess" is what 2 year dropouts (like myself) said

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jul 18, 2018

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

gonadic io posted:

"I guess i should do a PhD" you should not do a PhD.

4 years of bullshit, being under appreciated under paid and like 60% of PhD thesiseses are never read after completion means that you have to be really self motivated and really want a PhD in order to complete it. "I guess" is what 2 year dropouts (like myself) said

Basically only do a PhD if you are offered a project/subject that you won't get sick of by a supervisor that you get along with, and if you can afford to take a pay cut and probably also be self-supporting for a while after the project's pay ends and your thesis isn't finished. For your sanity you should look at it more it as a personal growth project rather than a career advancement thing.

That said, I have zero regrets because all those things were true for me and it's extremely satisfying to see citation numbers go up and people follow up on my research.

But I've got nothing to do with it anymore because gently caress working in academia. Publish or perish, my rear end.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I haven't C'ed in like a decade but I prefer to put the asterisk on the type and don't like declaring more than one variable per line so I guess this is the thread for me

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

terrible programmer checking in. aksually im a DATA SCIENTIST which means i do data and the sciences thereof or thereto.

also you should use pipenv to handle your python environments to keep you sane - to whoever was asking earlier.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
I like the space either side. The asterix can hang.

I also like my brackets:
code:

foo()
{
        if(bar) 
        {
                /* like this */
        } 
} 

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Your brackets are wrong and I hope you get gonorrhea.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

refleks posted:

terrible programmer checking in. aksually im a DATA SCIENTIST which means i do data and the sciences thereof or thereto.

also you should use pipenv to handle your python environments to keep you sane - to whoever was asking earlier.

hey data science pipenv club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

as for phd i kinda want to do it at some point, partially as personal challenge, and partially due to higher profile data science positions being fond of it as a credential. it helps that in eu phd is 3-4, seldom 5 year affair with guaranteed stable salary in any decent place, but that salary is still pennies compared to commercial rates and im not sure about the opportunity cost.

before that, however, i should sort my masters degree and health out at the very least