Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

PDF | Entrance Music

It's pretty likely Siroko didn't actually sleep before turning up for this strategy session, considering how late she was cutting it with her road trip. Still, she found time to pick an outfit. A short, short-sleeved blue and white jacket with a hood, over a white tube-top shirt with red and black trim, matching shorts and fingerless gloves, black thigh-highs, and designer blue and white sneakers. The shirt is some designer oddity she dug up, with a sideways V-cut just below her bust partly closed with snaps.

Siroko nods approvingly at the post Phia forwards, but replies that she'd like to talk to the manager after the meeting for a bit.

She's spent most of the meeting sitting leaned back in her chair, drinking coffee, surprisingly quiet for until now. "Don't forget McKnight could hit back outside the Arena, hit back against someone besides us. Let's make sure we're all prepared for that." She lets her chair drop onto all four legs. "And let's not gently caress over the other teams while we're at it. Just McKnight. We gently caress him all the way up."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

PDFII Entrance Music

"We should gently caress up La Familia, though," says Erzbet. "They're in deep with him. Making them look like the second-stringers they are off the field and on it is our mission statement for the next few days. I need ideas on how to really get into their shady dealings, or at least make them look very mad about it."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

PDF

"Uhm, who cares about off the field? A real superstar leaves trash behind." Vivi saunters over to Erz and does a circle around the chair she's seated in, occasionally stopping to peer around part of it and examine her teammate up close, eyes flickering rapidly as she hums in thought. "Beeeeesiiiiddeeees, if they're really mafia or whatever, snooping is trouble. Don't you want to just become champions and burn McKnight on the way out?" She reaches over and pinches Erz's wrist, raising the hand to compare it to her own for a bit. "Say! Why don't we..." Her irises shift to a delighted bright pink!

"Coordinate our outfits!? They're gangsters, right!? We could do like a super tough and composed security team or cop look..." She lets Erz go and steps away from the chair to pose, hands on her hips. "I.. we could look so cute in little secretary motifs... pinstripes and suspenders on our big toughies... short skirts, handcuffs... hee hee hee. It sells itself." She spins around and makes a little finger gun at Erz! "Pow! You're under arrest, bad guys! Cause they're so bad. And McKnight is terrible! We're in the right, aren't we?!"

Vivi reaches down and uses her fingers to measure something along her legs, undoubtedly calculating the perfect ratio of absolute territory.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

PDFII Entrance Music

"Not cops," says Erzbet, "But you're on to something. They're organized. Propped up by the Man himself. Hypocrites trading on a criminal legacy while being basically McKnight's cops. So why don't we be the rebels!"

Erzbet fingers a hole worn through her elderly black jeans. "What do you think about going punk, ladies?"

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

At your show of solidarity, Phia manages to find a smile again. She may not look any less tired, but at least she no longer looks like she wants to disappear. When Erzbet suggests the punk angle, she nods.
"If we're going anarchist punk, feel free to raid my wardrobe. Erzbet. Vivi. You other three are too big for my stuff, but I have big friends." She takes a long sip of coffee before continuing. "La Familia aren't worth spending for. And, y'know. Whatever we can get for free." Phia looks you over, one by one, a look of grim determination solidifying on her face. "Let's trash La Familia. Let's show the world we own this place, and on our way out, we'll trash it too. The Furies are going to fly right out of this rubble - and that's all I have to say for now. Think I might pass out for a bit. You guys hit the gym. We've got two and a half days until the match - I'm thinking for promos, we wait until late to hit them with Erzbet's idea. Don't give them time to think. As always, get at me if you have any other ideas."

Phia waves everyone except Siroko out of the room. When it's just the two left, she shifts forward in her chair, giving the storm goddess her full attention.
"So, what's up?"

------------
------------

Over the course of this day and the next, it seems like La Familia are everywhere. To be fair, they do work at the arena - but you find yourselves not quite sure if they are following you or if you just don't usually pay attention to them. You find yourselves working out next to them, passing them in the hall, and the first time you check to see if the training arena's open, you find them just coming out.

The evening of the 25th, the six of you end up leaving the arena together before heading your separate ways. Despite the rain, you find Zio Massimo leaning up against the wall at the bottom of the steps, dressed in a tracksuit and holding a black umbrella between the rain and his cigarette. He gives you a little nod as you pass.
"Good evening, Furies. Stay safe out there."

------------
------------

La Famila's first shot, promo-wise, comes around noon on the 26th. It's a short clip of "Godmother" Lucrezia De Luca, reclining in her darkened study.

"For an upstart gang, the Furies have been unusually quiet of late. Perhaps they've overlooked us. Perhaps they've forgotten they're in our territory." The Godmother pauses, allowing her words room to breathe. "Perhaps, since we appear to have shown weakness, they've forgotten respect. But if they think they can come before us so brazenly, they greatly overestimate our faults." She shifts, sinister shadows falling across her face as she stares directly into the camera. "Furies, those are our halls you walk down every day, our streets that take you to and from your battles. You're looking to make a name for yourselves? Take care to watch exactly where you step, or your name will be nothing more than an example."

------------
------------

The evening of the 26th, as Caelynn and Roxie head for their vehicles to get on their way home, they spot Sante Rosso and a man they don't recognize in animated, gregarious conversation right behind Caelynn's car. When he sees you approach, Sante merely gives you a nod and goes right back to his conversation.

Wol fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 27, 2018

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

<ignore>

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

PDF

Evening of 25th: Rocking her American Made leotard and tank-top with bright red pig-tails look still, Vivi pauses as the rest pass and steps up to Zio, arms at her sides in a show of polite non-aggression, making a point to come juuuust close enough that she'd be under his umbrella. She peers up at him with wide eyes and grins. "Thaaaank yooooou~" She bats her eyelashes a bit and little blue lights inquisitively reflect from the irises. "I don't suppose there's a Misses Massimo, is there?"

---

Not worth spending for? Oh dear sweet Phia... it's spending for *me*!

Evening of the 26th: Flexing a bit of fondly recalled and often missing fame, Vivi leverages an interview with some local Philly holo-stream host! Nothing too fancy but better than some guy's basement apartment! Vivi shows up with her hair platinum blonde, neat and trim with a flapper girl's headband and feather accessory. Her petite figure sports a snazzy black suit vest over a white dress shirt with high-waisted black skirt, a classic secretary dame appeal! With stockings and snappy heels she sits across from an equally pretty woman, the two sharing practiced smiles as the Furies' little killbot gushes:

"... and I can't wait to clash with The Family!" She leans back a bit and brings her hands up to her shoulders before a gesture downwards. "Their style is just gorgeous and I'd love it if we could've done some more promos with them! We're all so busy and things are moving so fast because as you know, FURIES FLY! But really, their style is to die for, I had to fight another girl to get this on sale..." She shares a laugh with the hostess and the hot air exchange continues between two vapid personalities, Vivi sincerely enjoying every second of it. Right before the end of her segment Vivi muses on camera. "And have you seen Miss Giovanna? I think we'd really hit it off as good friends!" Her eyes shift to a hopeful golden hue as she mugs for the camera's final shot with her fingers interlocking together and slowing unveiling into extended blades, a few intact fingers held in a heart pose to be framed by the deadly knives.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

PDF | Entrance Music

When they're alone, Siroko leans forward in her chair, serious for once. "Are you doing all right?"

“Wait - me? I’m, uh, I’m...” for a moment, Phia looks like she’s searching for a deflection, for a change of subject or a bit of bravado to cling to. She doesn’t find it. She lets out a deep sigh and sinks back into the comfort of her chair. “I’m not alright. The Furies are everything to me, Siroko. I don’t have much. When I started this team - when I hired you - I had next to nothing. The one thing I relied on, that I trusted would get me through any challenge ahead of me, was myself. I knew I would end up with a great team because I’m smart, and I put the time into scouting and research. I knew we would get over because I’m good at Crickt content. I knew we would make money because I did my research on Crown contracts and I’m clever enough to know how to get myself a good deal. Well, that’s what I thought. I guess that last one didn’t turn out to be true, huh?”

Siroko shrugs slightly. "Yeah, kind of screwed up that contract." She says it matter of factly, no malice involved at all. She leans back in her chair. "What do you plan to do to keep it from happening again?"

“Hire a lawyer.”

Siroko nods. "Sounds like a good idea." She pauses, then continues. "It was a screwup. Screwups happen. I hosed up in the fourth match against American Made, nearly cost us the series. We didn't lose because it wasn't only on me. So stop putting all the out-of-the-arena stuff on your shoulders alone. Let us help, hire people you need, an assistant - in the long run we'll make back the expense."

"Yeah." Phia takes another long sip of her coffee. When she brings the mug back down to rest on her lap, she spends a half minute staring contemplatively into the middle distance. Finally, she returns to meet your gaze. "Thanks, Siroko." It seems for a moment she's going to leave it there, before she adds, "When we started, I thought of you five just as part of the job I wanted - people it was my job to take care of and push forward. That's not how I see you now. I see us as a team. My part in the team might be different from yours, but, I see your point. It's not so different that I have to do it completely on my own."

"Good," Siroko declares. "I signed on with you because I could tell you were on the way up. As far as I'm concerned, that hasn't changed. There was one other thing," she continues, changing the subject. "Since we're going after McKnight, I wanted to make sure you're safe. He sends some goons after me, he's going to be short a couple of goons. Can you handle something like that?"

“Ah. Depends. I’m not going anywhere without mace, and I do have a little bit of training. I wanted to be a fighter when I was a teenager. Took it pretty seriously.” With this confession, Phia avoids your gaze. “If he sent an actual Killer after me, I don’t know what would happen, but I could probably deal with just some goon.”

"Well. Let's see what we can do to keep you safe. At the least we can show you some tricks."

“Yeah. Yeah, I’d be up for that.” She still looks off into the middle distance. Fatigue weighs heavy on her, from her slouched posture to her bloodshot eyes. Nonetheless, she manages to muster up a reserve of determination. She looks you dead in the eyes, focused anew. “Match training comes first. That’s not in question. But since you’re willing, gently caress yes I’ll train with you after.”

Siroko gets up and claps Phia on the shoulder. "Looking forward to it."

-----------------

Siroko makes sure to organize film and training session over the next couple of days, and proves plenty willing to criticize her own performance in the prior matches during them. She's very serious about getting this right.

Mortify
Feb 4, 2005

PDF | Orokos | Entrance Music

Walking out on the 26th
Seeing anyone near her vehicle prompts Roxie to check the security status of her bike on her phone while she quietly whispers to Caelynn, "I don't trust that. Don't start your car immediately... let me see if I can buy you the time to spot something wrong." Assuming no silent alarm was triggered, nor activation of the anti-theft shock field, she'll slip her phone away and put on the charm!

Walking directly towards the back of Caelynn's car, she uses her considerable size to box them in, not yet trying to be a threat, "Sante! Haven't seen you in the gym for a few days, are you trying to empacando neumático for our match?" she offers him a hand to shake, all sportsman-like at this point, "Who's your pal? Don't think I've seen you in the ring, ñaño.

If anything in her security app is amiss, her posture will be more aggressive, and she'll be less willing to let them leave if they try... but she's not immediately being hostile.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

PDF | Entrance Music

Afternoon of the 25th
Siroko has managed to turn the Furies' training room into something out of an old sports movie, complete with lovely antique school desks and an old style projector - it's at least digital media, but she implies that's because she didn't have time to get film printed. She even has a classic overhead projector with transparencies.

Once she manages to corral everyone in the room, she turns the lights off and starts the projector with the 4th match from the American Made series. She fast forwards through the preliminaries and then slows it down at a critical moment, when she used her Thunder Step move to attack Musa from an unexpected angle. "This is where this fight almost went wrong," she states. "I went here..." she replays the clip. "When I should have ended up about five feet to the left and back towards the camera. That let Axel slip by and drop that firebomb. So, I need to work on my positioning." She fast forwards and rewinds through a couple other parts of the match, critiquing her own footwork and shield use, and then rewinds to the top.

"So, who's up next?"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

PDFII Entrance Music

Of course Erzbet is in on the strategy session. Where else would she be?

"I agree with that, but I think I may have cued you wrong with my positioning," says Erzbet, pointing at her minimal advance. "Instead of hooking I should have continued off to the left and forced them past you to reach me, as well as spreading the formation so they couldn't get me and Vivi. I think if I'd moved that way, you would have changed your footing as well."

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Afternoon on the 25th

"I..." Kate sighs, starting before pausing immediately. She hadn't given her flaws much thought after their victory; Siroko's mail had, admittedly, caught her a little by surprise initially. "I shouldn't have broken left, I think, in the opening move. Yeah, I recovered, but if I'd gone and reinforced the center, I could've stopped Lane before she dashed through, or at least taken the brunt of Axel before he roasted the others. I'm not as tough as Siroko, but I can hold my ground - so I should've."

Walking out on the 26th

La Familia's intimidation at this point is more of an inconvenience than an actual threat. Part of her wants to be a smartass and tell them to stick Fortuna's blades up each of their respective asses, but the Furies have a plan, so Kate will play along. She nods at Roxie, leaning against her driver's side door, and pulling out her phone, browsing a little while she waits - ostensibly for Roxie to finish talking, but mostly just to back her up in case it might be necessary.

Evening before the match

After her dinner, which is more soberingly simple than she would've liked, Caelynn sits on her couch, tv mostly on for background noise, twiddling with the phone in her fingers. She didn't really want to make this conversation. Part of her wanted to leave her parents out of the nasty bits of the Crown as much as possible; they'd never liked how dangerous it was, how she'd struggled before. Especially after she'd come to them on the high of their victory earlier in the weekend. But they were gonna need a lawyer. And if La Familia got too handsy about things, her parents needed to be sure to look out for themselves.

The ringing tone seems to last an eternity. When her mother finally picks up, Kate hesitates a moment longer. "...hey, mom. It's Kate. Yeah, yeah, I'm - I'm fine. But I have some bad news, mom." With a sigh, she continues: "I need mister Schumacher's number. I don't know if we'll end up calling him or somebody else, but - no, no, we're fine, mostly. I can't get into it, but we need somebody to represent us. Someone good." She endures her mother's concerned lecture for a moment. "Please, mom. I'll tell you everything when it's over, but for now I can't have anything getting out." Mrs. Miller eventually relents. "Thanks, mom. Listen, I...want you and dad to keep an eye out, okay? If you see anybody looking at you, or following you, or...anything, let me know. I - no, I don't think they'll hurt you, but - " she swallows back her tears, dismissing her vulnerability with a struggled moment of focus, "sorry, Mom. We messed up a little, but we're going to fix it. Just... be careful, okay? Please."

When that conversation is finished, she sends Phia a quick message. "Don't know if you know people, but just in case. This is a lawyer's number. A good one. The one I mentioned before is friends with my mom. Can't guarantee we get a discount or anything, but if you mention my real name it should at least get us on his list."

Wahad fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 25, 2018

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

PDF

Afternoon on the 25th

Vivi is receptive to general strategy discussion and following orders for the benefit of a team but is utterly uninterested in Siroko's attempt to draw out true self-improvement by serious study of mistakes. She tunes it out for the most part and conducts her usual mental wifi personal PR routine, on an unusually high-road take since their triumph over American Made, honoring Axel's request that she not needle Lane.

At some point she knows Siroko will lumber over so she sets a proximity reminder as she enters a nail filing routine. Once the cherished and awaited bit of team bonding and self-awareness arrives, Vivi barely inclines her head up and smiles politely. "My combat routine went along without a hitch until the point where I made the most of a bad situation and came out ahead." She peers back down and resumes finishing up with her nails until the unusual recording of slightly too much dead air indicates a communal silence. She peers back up and beams. "Don't worry, I don't mind carrying a bit extra! There's no I in Team, right? Hahahahaha!" The laughter enters machine monotone by the end...

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

"I've been around." Sante Rosso shrugs. "And this is Lucas. He's not a fighter, just a friend. Lucas, this is Roxie, one of the people I'm about to fight. Same with Caelynn there."
"Thought you'd grown out of picking fights after school, Rosso." Lucas gives you a little nod. "Cool to meet you two in person. Bit awkward right now that I'm about to be cheering against you, but y'know. Gotta stick by my guy." The two are silent for a moment before Lucas notices Caelynn leaning against her car door. "Oh, sorry, that's your car?" He steps out of the way. Sante Rosso does the same with a little bow.

In the meantime, Roxie doesn't notice anything wrong with her bike.

--------
--------

Massimo smirks at your come-on.
"Depends who's asking and how loud. I got a reputation, y'know. Some people might say I'm too young for you."

----

Shortly after your interview, a post by Giovanna "The Scalpel" Franzesi comes to your attention.

@gigifranz "If @Vivivivi wants to get to know me better, she'll have the chance tomorrow. My blades can't wait to meet her."

--------
--------

Phia comes to Siroko's team meeting too. Curled up in her big chair at the side of the room, still just as visibly exhausted as this morning, she doesn't have much to say. She still follows along with the discussion, though, and seems to be taking notes on her phone as per usual. It's not too unusual - she's not super hands-on when it comes to in-ring strategy anyway. She does offer a couple comments, though, like after Caelynn brings up her performance in the fourth American Made match.

"You are tough, Caelynn, but let's not throw your idea out completely. With your teleports, you do make a good pincer. It's just that if we're going to try something like that, we have to all be on board ahead of time so we can keep our main group protected as they move up. A lot of what we're talking about as mistakes can be turned into strategies if we plan around them, and plan how to take advantage of how the other folks react. For example - I don't know if the rest of you watched Siroko's Montréal match from the other day, but that's a good example of what I'm talking about. Siroko, Diamond Trinh and Cinnabar used Siroko charging in alone to their advantage. As a team, we have a lot of flexibility. A lot of strengths. A lot of options. My take is that going forward, we should solidify with and practice a couple fall-back strategies, yeah, but we should also stay flexible and keep looking for new ways to throw our opponents off their game. Just, y'know. Let's talk about them and practice them first if possible."

Wol fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 27, 2018

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

PDF | Entrance Music

"Phia's right," Siroko adds. "And there's also a lot of good in our matches - we won after all." Siroko advances the recording to Vivi laying out Maxima and Axel. "We're not just here to pick on weaknesses. I started with mine, I know what people expect out of me, but finding what worked and doing more of it is key."

She pauses, another highlight playing, then adds, "What works and looks amazing, I mean. We're not loving San Antonio."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

PDF

Evening of 25th: Vivi giggles, taking the playfulness as an invitation to remain close. "We've all got reputations, and I'm a bit of a bad girl at times. I wouldn't turn down a chance to rob the cradle <3" Her irises shift to hot pink and project little holo-hearts. Sampling forbidden fruit? OUR Vivian Vivisection? Impossi... no, very likely!

---

Vivi lets Giovanna have that one. There's no point in baring fangs before their big debut for the match. She makes a point to cash in Phia's offer to ransack her closet!

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Philadelphia - April 27, 2259

The day of your match against La Familia dawns. Those of you relying on Phia for your punk wardrobes have an appointment at her apartment at the usual Furies start time of 9 this morning. Those of you relying on her friends already picked out your outfits last night - and may have downed a couple beers and regaled them with some fight stories if you let them cajole you into it. One way or another, the Furies aren't actually scheduled to meet at the arena until 11.

Caelynn, however, has more to contend with than costuming. She rolls on out of her apartment and hits the road just like every morning. Once on her way, though, she can't help but shake the feeling that it's handling a little oddly. She keeps going nonetheless. Acutely aware of every little thing her car is doing, she's on her best road behaviour. She makes it as far as the freeway before the other shoe drops. She hears a loud clunk beneath her, and all of a sudden, her car pulls hard to the right. She wrenches the steering wheel left, just in time to avoid veering right into the car beside her. A protracted honk ensues, though Caelynn has her hands far too full to worry about the other driver.

The unmistakable horrible grinding noise coming from the passenger's side confirms that she has a tire out. She tries her best to pull into the emergency lane. There's not much room to maneuver there, but it's her best bet. She presses her foot down on the brake, only to find no pressure there whatsoever. She has little choice but to ride it out. White-knuckling it in a desperate struggle to keep the car perfectly straight, she meets a bend in the road before she can slow down all that much. With her car compromised like this, she's not sure how well she's going to be able to follow the curve. She steels herself. An ear-splitting screech rends the air as she scrapes against the guardrail. Accidentally, at first, but she quickly decides to lean into it. More friction will slow her down faster, after all. The cacophony of metal on metal continues. Caelynn stays the course, teeth gritted as road friction and the guardrail bring her to a harrowing stop. And stop she does. Adrenaline rushing through her still, she momentarily keeps her deathgrip on the steering wheel as cars continue to hurtle down the lane beside her as if nothing happened.

Wol fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 27, 2018

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Kate is no saint. She doesn't mind the occasional curse. Her parent's don't, either. But the string of words coming out of her mouth as she tries to avoid a movie-style triple flip with her car would probably give her mother the vapors. When she finally comes to a halt, and the adrenaline wears off, she can feel herself shaking. Those assholes actually tried to kill her! Her fingers fumble to find her phone, dropping it once before she finally manages to get it unlocked. "Call Roxie," she says with a similarly shaking voice.

"R-roxie? It's Kate. I..." she tries to collect her thoughts, taking a deep breath, "they wrecked my loving car. No brakes and my tire's gone. I had to crash it. I need a pickup ASAP. Please. I'm at, uh..." She looks around, trying to find a landmark. "I'm on the 95, near the terminals. I'd call somebody else but you're the fastest, and we need to get to the arena."

The next call is 911. "Hello. My name is Kate Miller. My car broke down on the 95 freeway, near Fisher Point Range, and I had to crash it into the guard rail. No, I wasn't hurt too badly. Nobody else was involved. But I think my car was tampered with. Please send...I don't know, somebody to investigate, or something. I can deliver a statement but I have a pressing appointment that I can't be late for so I already called somebody to pick me up. I can do the particulars later at the station if I get...a phone number, or something." She has no real idea what the process is here, but that should hopefully be enough. She finally sinks to her haunches, leaning against the rail, and tries not to cry.

Mortify
Feb 4, 2005

Walking out on the 26th

"Nothing awkward unless you make it that way, amigo," Roxie settles for casual intimidation, standing quietly with them until they clear out.

---

Day of the Match - 27th

Accepting the call, a little picture of Kate appears superimposed in her helmet's heads up display, "Bueno, she barely gets out before Kate starts in with her present circumstances, "You okay? Hurt?" as Kate begins to reply she cuts off two cars, turning her motorcycle across their lanes, "I'll be there in five," revving her engine, she begins heading down the shoulder against the flow of traffic, and when the opportunity presents itself, cuts through a divide in the median to rejoin the traffic heading back towards Kate's crash.

When she gets close enough to see the wreck she veers towards the left shoulder, cutting through another divider to ride the shoulder towards the kneeling woman. Braking only a few feet away, she flips up the visor, "Get on, rosetón, we need to go!" After Kate settles herself on the seat and wraps her arms around Roxie's middle, she takes off with all due speed, ignoring the every day people honking at her. Once they are away she turns her head so the sound will carry better, "Reach into my jacket and grab the tazito... uh, chocolate bar. Have some, it'll settle your nerves," Roxie goes back to watching the road, hoping the other woman heard.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
By the time Roxie and Caelynn reach the arena, the latter’s phone is already abuzz. The police have let her know that they’ve reached the scene, and are asking for a time when she can give them a full statement. Whatever she decides to do with that request, the two Furies are soon on their way inside, heading for their meeting. They head down the usual narrow, twisting hallways toward the Furies’ room, already slightly late. They’re hardly ten paces past the Deathless’ room, however, when that door swings open, a worried voice calling out. “Kate?”

The White Witch Cai Minhua walks out, giving a quick wave to Roxie, but not taking her eyes off Caelynn. “Kate, I could feel your aura from in there. It’s all jagged, distressed - and you look it too. What happened? Are you okay?”

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

She doesn't take the chocolate bar. Roxie is probably right. It would settle her nerves. But it wouldn't settle the score. Her grip is iron tight around her teammate's waist. The bruise on her shoulder where it hit the door pulses with a dull ache. Her head leans into Roxie's back - broad, and strong, and safe. It calms her more than a chocolate bar would. When they finally arrive at the arena, she responds to the police at last. "Yeah, uh - I don't know. I'm full up in the afternoon. Tonight, at like seven? Maybe tomorrow if that's better for you guys." Hanging up, she looks at her savior, and sighs heavily. "Thanks, Roxie. I didn't want to let those guys think they could make me miss the match. I'm - " she takes another deep breath, and steels her expression before they head in, "Let's show them what the price is for messing with the Furies."

Minhua's call out almost makes her stop. "Sorry, I - I don't have time. Car accident. I'm fine, but...I'll tell you later, okay?" she keeps walking, heading for the room, then actually stops, walking back to Minhua and taking her aside, lowering her voice after looking around. "I can't tell you everything. We... have a problem with McKnight. The promo later today is gonna reveal more of it, but... they cut my brakes, Lin. They could've killed me. For real." Her eyes have long since lost their steel, and there's a plea in her gaze. "I don't want you to go against your team. I know you guys are probably chummy with him. But it would mean a lot if we could count on your support against this rear end in a top hat in the future. Call me tonight." She forces a smile. It doesn't reach her eyes. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have some goons to murder."

She catches up with Roxie again just before they enter the Furies' room. Caelynn slams the door shut (probably a little harder than necessary) and heads straight for one of the benches where she collapses with half a sob. The concerned faces are waved away. "Just...just give me a second." She buries her face in her hands. They come away slightly moist after a long moment, and she looks up. "Okay. This just got real." She takes off her jacket, showing the large bruise forming on her shoulder. It's already ominously dark. "Sorry we're late." That one was mostly aimed at Phia, though there's no real apology behind it. "I had a car accident, so Roxie had to pick me up." Again, she tries to force a pleasant expression. It doesn't work. What she wouldn't give for one of Vivi's ditzy subroutines now.

"Somebody cut my breaks and sabotaged my right front wheel. I had to smash my car into the guard rail. I'll give you zero guesses to figure out who did it, or at least who ordered it." Another moment of silence passes. "So when this match happens, I'm gonna go out there, and I'm going to break their faces, and I'm not going to stop until they can feel it a week from now. I know this match isn't a last team standing, but I don't care. They're loving dead. All of them."

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Minhua looks taken aback at Kate’s news. While her face still seems to be processing everything, Kate’s plea has barely left her lips when she replies:
“I’m with you. You can count on me.” It looks like there’s more she wants to say, but it’s clear you’re in a hurry. “I’ll call. Good luck with your match. I know you don’t need it, but too bad - I’m giving it anyway.” She smiles and takes a step back, letting you continue on your way.

Wol fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jan 7, 2019

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

PDF

After that interview and showing off a neat and sexy Dame Vivi, she needs to get ready for the surprise! Spending far too much time rummaging through Phia's closet, Vivi eventually hits upon an outfit for tomorrow's match! It was the day before so she spends as much time chatting with Phia as possible, trying to coax bits of her out with overwhelming enthusiasm and interest. The two have some overlap in fashion sense, Phia representing a dip into Vivi's bad side, or at least the projected image of such! Eventually she's shown the door and the 27th is here...

---

She's gone all out! Tatoos, abusive hair dying, a sclera dye, a dangerously short hair cut and reapplying last year's tongue piercing! Her robotic irises are covered with a more realistic but heavily stylized flesh gel. Everything is synced to be a bit discordant yet resonate with the outfit she got from Phia(small top, short skirt, bladed-heel big rear end leather boots), a polar opposite approach to what she portrayed in yesterday's interview! La Familia won't know what him them! At least that's what her self-congratulatory anticipation cycles are telling her as she adjusts the fit of her top and wonders how lewd is too lewd when it comes to piercing accessories, pulling her own neckline out with one finger and peering down it for a bit. She lets it snap back into place as Caelynn arrives and reveals the unacceptable! Vivi's head jerks to the side a bit too hard at once point with a loud crack, which she quickly shifts back into place with the same noise, stalking across the dressing room to seize a towel and hold it to her bleeding ear.

Stepping over to Caelynn, Vivi reaches out and pats her on the shoulder, giving her a reassuring eye to eye look. Vivi grins, her voice as bubble-gum sweet as always, coming right out of her whole new look. ".. That's really hosed up, Cae! ... " ... There's an awkward little beat as Vivi's thoughts cycle. Sure, she can consider a lot of things at speeds not normally allotted to minds, but these two are still only a few months in on knowing one another. She puts on a ditzy smile and speaks with confidence! "... I mean, if they mess with one Fury, they get the flock, you know?" Giving an affectionate little squeeze to Caelynn's shoulder, Vivi withdraws her hand and leans forward a bit, speaking in a quiet conspiratorial whisper: "If somebody really needs to die, you can count on me~"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

PDF | Entrance Music

Siroko has taken the sukeban inspired outfit she wore on her trip and upgraded it for this match. Black knee length skirt and white tube-top, with a blue and gold Furies bomber jacket with the logo emblazoned on the back worn half-zipped over it, a blue scarf and blue finger-less gloves, combat boots, and blue Wayfarer sunglasses with purple-gold lenses . She's pulled her hair into double buns, and is carrying around a shinai just to complete the effect.

When Caelynn comes in and tells them what happened, Siroko bares her teeth in a snarl. "No one fucks with Siroko's team-mates - with a Fury - and gets away with it." She walks over to stand in front of Caelynn, then extends her hand. When Caelynn takes it, Siroko pulls her back onto her feet. "Your lead, your revenge, on this one. You've the storm's at your back."

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
"What?" Phia glares at Caelynn's news. She simmers with a fury that looks like it could boil over at any second. The other Furies have time to say their piece as she stands there, fuming. By the time everyone's taken their turn to comfort Caelynn, swear vengeance, or both, Phia looks like she's calmed down a little bit. At the very least, her anger has gone cold enough for her to collect her thoughts. "Kate. Are you hurt? Do you need medical help? Do you need a minute?" When she gets the all clear, Phia moves on to business. "We're going to the recording studio. Caelynn gets first shot. We're about to spit fire right in those fuckers' faces. C'mon." She strides briskly out of the room.

When you get to the studio, it's occupied by a couple trainees practicing their mic skills, but Phia wastes no time at all in throwing them out. She shepherds Caelynn in to lead off the Furies promo package against La Familia, determined to strike when the iron's hot.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

"Thanks, everyone. I'm...I'm good. Let me just - get dressed." Siroko pulling her up elicits another groan from Kate, but she waves away the concerns. "No, I'm fine, really, just...a little sore." Taking off her regular coat and shirt - she'd already come into work with the torn jeans and steel-toed boots, 'cause she owned those herself - she reaches into her locker and pulls out a cut-off white shirt with the Furies logo messily emblazoned on it and a dark leather jacket she borrowed from one of Phia's friends. She puts them on and steels herself. Time to rebel against the establishment. "Let's do this."

In the studio, she is silent for a while. Her hands fiddle with the hem of her jacket. But when Phia gives the signal that the camera's running, she looks up, and balls her hands into fists. "Hello, everyone." Her voice is cold and flat - a great disconnect from the usual charming image she tries to give off. "La Familia considers us upstarts. Who can blame them? We came out of nowhere. We have - by all acounts - a great start to our career here in Philly, culminating in a hard-fought victory over American Made." A small smile is spared. "And we thank the fans and everybody who's helped us get this far. We've worked hard for this. And we're not going to stop until we claim the championship. You know this."

"La Familia, however, doesn't care. They don't want the upstarts to succeed. That's all well and good. A little team rivalry is good for the show." Her eyes turn to a cold glare, and she leans into the camera. "But it's not just team rivalry we're speaking of, here. The Godmother accused us of not respecting them. And they're right. We don't respect them. Our respect must be earned. The Godmother threatened to make an example out of us if we didn't watch our step. Earlier this morning, she nearly did." Kate slowly takes off her jacket, revealing the giant bruise on her shoulder.

"My car lost one of the front wheels this morning on the freeway. I tried to stop, but my brakes were not functioning. By some miracle, I came out of it alive, but my car is a ruined mess against the guard rail. Anybody driving across the 95 near Fisher Point Range, take a look! I probably left a good dent in the rail." She points at the camera - an accusatory finger. "So no, we don't respect La Familia. Not when they try to take the coward's way out. And I don't think this is their first time. How many matches have they rigged in their favor by scaring the competition? How long have they coasted on their friendship with Joel McKnight? How long have they gotten by with this because nobody dared to speak up?" Her voice rises as her face twists in an angry scowl. "No longer. We will not back down. We will not submit! We will tear down those comfortable foundations of corruption that support their bony asses, we will break La Familia, and we will show the world that you do not gently caress with the Furies!" She's not crying. Crying wouldn't be very punk.

Intimidate at 1d20+7=19.

Wahad fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 31, 2018

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

PDF

Vivi skips into the recording booth after Caelynn's piece, overly enjoying the attention demanding sounds Phia's boots make. She drops into the seat before the mic with a little bounce back into speaking position, sitting up and getting her mouth close to the mic. All of the stimuli and excitement of actually ascending tend to get to her, little packets of mania slipping into her regular data cycling. She giggles as she starts: "I was disappointed to hear that The Family doesn't want to be friendly about this. I guess they're comfortable as the big fish in a stinking pond?" Drumming her fingers together, she seems a bit distracted, fidgeting unnecessarily, and giggling again. "But I can't stand it and they're just a few sour haters in my way, trying to stop me from getting to where I belong. Vivi's fans should know she's used to it..." The mania drums off a bit and her head tilt cycles twice, repeating the practiced gesture. She breaks a monotone giggling cycle to continue. "Attacking my teammate is unacceptable. The Furies are the best and most deserving team, and my friend Caelynn is a blooming rose. Cutting that short is a crime against nature!" The new flirtations with empathy are certainly stretching some old muscles, unused to the strain!

Not every promo piece can be a winner, so Vivi wraps it up: "In our last fight with American Made, Mauler Maxima picked up her own end. Maybe The Family is repeating the mistake, grabbing the wings of a Fury, ignoring all of the talons about to repay it..." Ah, a reminder of her own glory as her cycles peak and begin to wind down, her voice dripping with sullen malice!

Guidance of Past: Intimidate Roll 1(12), Roll 2(13) Result: 13

Mortify
Feb 4, 2005

Day of the Match - 27th

While Caelynn tells her story to Phia, Roxie takes the time to change out of her riding gear and into her outfit. She quickly dons a vividly red high-waisted pencil dress with a white heart cutout at the bust, which she finishes with a white ribbon belted around the waist. Layered over it, a light denim vest with a plethora of frayed edges, dominated by the embroidered Furies logo on the back. Using a bit of product, she styles her hair into a high pompadour pony-tail with a red bandanna to tie it up. Once she is done, the unmistakable, asymmetrical white streak she had added the previous night is made apparent, running from her forehead to the tip of her tresses. She takes her time applying her lipstick, any makeup is very unnatural for her, but when she is done, it is the same shade as her dress. Lastly, she slips into black slingback stiletto heels with tiny white bows, and tops the whole thing off with a pair of ludicrous heart shaped sunglasses.

When her turn comes, she stands assertively in front of the camera, unable to diminish her natural presence, "Our opponents, La Familia, think that they can shake us - they think they can break us. And maybe their techniques have worked against lesser teams, lesser opponents. But the Furies are a different breed of señoritas. Victory is in our blood; it courses through our veins. Maybe they think that by spilling some they can take our power, ¿no? But you, our familia, know that's not going to happen. When you gently caress with one of us, you get hosed by all of us. So we'll see you soon, ya muertos," smiling big and predatory, Roxie blows a kiss to the camera before stepping out of frame.

Mortify fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Aug 3, 2018

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Siroko is standing with the shinai across one shoulder and her other hand tucked into the pocket of her jacket, and doesn't bother to square up to the camera properly, communicating her disdain for their opponents in her posture as well as her voice. "La Familia got carried away pretend they were real cosa nostra. But by the time we're done with them today, their thing, will be nothing."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

PDFII Entrance Music

Erzbet shows up in the classic uniform of punk goths everywhere- black leather covered in patches, fishnets, and a bad attitude.

"La Familia. What a joke," she says, spinning a pentagram amulet in her hand. "A team so weak, so cowardly, that they lean on their money and their ties to keep them from falling into their deserved place. Well, we're here to show them what they really are."

She leans into the camera. "They're not gangsters. They're poseurs, playacting and using daddy's money to be the fakest fucks in the business. They're not a gang. They're the pigs."

Erzbet gives a big thumbs down. "And we'll slaughter them."

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
As promised, Phia waits until very shortly before the match to release your promos so that La Familia doesn't have time to respond. It's counterintuitive to the way a feud is usually build, but you're not looking for a feud. You're looking for an annihilation. On your way to get yourself plugged in for the match, you come across none other than Joel McKnight talking with the Flawless Executioners' TC Bright and Abaé Banu in the hall. McKnight turns to glare at you as you approach.

"Good luck with the match," he says flatly. "Not the promo style I would have chosen, but. We'll see what happens." Abaé and TC exchange a quizzical look before chiming in with their own, more earnest-sounding well wishes. As you continue on down the hall, Roxie sees a flurry of Crickt notifications pop up on her phone. She barely has time to see what they're about - the message she half-reads seems to be taking a critical tone regarding her past in Mexico - before Phia sticks her hand in front of the screen.

"Already dealing with it. Just focus on La Familia - by the time you beat them, this won't even be a thing. Just someone throwing poo poo."

--------
--------

"Welcome to the Ruinous Dawn Arena, folks!" Someone in the crowd shouts something, prompting Robin to shoot to their feet, taking their acidly mocking tone with the fans shockingly early today. "What's that? The same old Crumbling Ruins Arena, you say? Well get your contacts in and turn your hearing aid up, you fossil, and let me blow your mind. You know the temple? Forget the temple! No more stumbling over skeletons in the dark. Fix your eyes up above the ground. We jacked up the difficulty, yanked out the safety net, and best of all, our bold killers down there have more than just each other to fight. The goal is now just to get inside the temple - the first team with everyone inside wins - but there's a catch. It's just before dawn's first light - the scorching sun is about to rise over the temple grounds. And when it does, everyone left outside turns to ash. That's right, it's a race against the clock! Who knows what we'll see the Furies and La Familia pull out when every fraction of a second counts!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWze_JdO57s Big Pun - Beware

La Familia's music hits. The arena goes dark. Pale little lights then flicker on in midair, giving the impression of streetlights periodically lining the arena. La Familia step out of the shadows, clad in long coats and hats, keeping to the lights' dim perimeter. One of the figures blows a cloud of thick smoke into the air, and they all doff their hats and coats in the haze. Sante Rosso lets his cigarette fall to the cobblestone floor, where it lays smouldering as he and Fortuna De Luca make their way across the arena, Thompson submachine gun and Molotov cocktail respectively in hand. Giovanna "The Scalpel" Franzesi pops out a wrist blade and runs a finger along it in idle examination as she and Zio Massimo step out of the lights to take position under a couple nearby trees. "Inkwell" Pietro De Luca wraps his shadow around himself with a sweep of his arm and retreats to the edge of the arena, though not before a glint of light betrays the Smith & Wesson revolver in his right hand.

You're up next.

"Not even an hour ago, the Furies dropped firebombs on La Familia. They're out for blood today - they say La Familia tried to take out Caelynn on her way here today. I'm no detective, but I gotta say that's how it looks. If you keep yourself up to date, you know we're not about to see a clean, technical masterpiece. This one's gonna be a bloodbath, folks."

La Familia starts moving into position. Pietro De Luca dashes up the stairs to the magic circle that controls the temple door, his shadow rising from the ground and coiling loosely around him as he goes. By the time he reaches the top, he's surrounded by a a sphere of shadow you can't see through. Beside him, Zio Massimo can be seen approaching the walkway between the temple and a nearby patch of brush - though when you take your eyes off him for a second, he disappears from view. The Scalpel, for her part, dives into the brush itself, likely looking to ambush whoever enters it.

A short ways away, Fortuna De Luca rushes up behind Caelynn and flings her Molotov cocktail at the tree she and Roxie are under. The tree bursts into flame, a few burning branches immediately falling into the Furies' path. She ducks into the nearby brush, where she's followed closely by Sante Rosso, submachinegun trained and ready to fire on anyone who comes after Fortuna.

Red circles represent La Familia's areas of Threat described above. Zio Massimo is not visible, but he's somewhere in or next to his area of Threat. The black circle around Pietro De Luca is heavily obscured. The flaming tree is an independent area of Threat.

Round 1 / 3

Arena Level: 4. Easy DC: 10 // Moderate DC: 14 // Hard DC: 21
La Familia Level: 4. Easy DC: 10 // Moderate DC: 14 // Hard DC: 21

Basic Rules
  • Win by getting everyone inside the temple by the end of the third round!
  • On each of your turns, you have time to traverse about half the arena and make one check.
  • You may spend a daily power or action point after making a check to force it to succeed.
  • Some checks are labeled minor checks. You can make up to two minor checks in a turn instead of a normal check. Before making a minor check, you can choose to make it as a normal check instead. If you do, lower the DC by one category.
  • Your opponents will create Threats. Doing things within a Threatened area without addressing the Threat will cost you a daily power or action point.
    • Evading or otherwise momentarily interfering with a Threat is generally a minor check.
    • Going on the offensive and attacking your opponent directly is a normal check, and prevents them from creating Threat on their next turn.
  • Normally I wouldn't encourage going for the kill in this kind of match, but given the circumstances, you KO an opponent if the following conditions are met: At least one normal check has succeeded against them, another minor or normal check has succeeded against them, and a daily power or action point has been spent as part of a check against them.

Points of Interest
  • The temple, and all pillars, are 20 feet high.
  • The cobblestone to the west is fairly solid, but has a couple gaps wide enough to see a room of the temple below.
  • The main doors are sealed with an arcane lock. The pink magic circle on the northeast pillar is the key; standing on it and making a DC 10 Arcana check will open the doors as long as you stay on it.
  • The temple's gargoyle guardians are asleep. The blue magic circle on the northwest pillar maintains the sleep spell; standing on it and making a DC 10 Arcana / Athletics check will dispel or destroy it, respectively. The gargoyles themselves are strong, can fly, and are functionally indestructible. Once woken, they generally won't attack fighters directly, but a DC 21 Diplomacy minor check can convince them to help you out in some way.
  • There's a secret entrance hidden in the brush somewhere. While standing inside a patch of brush, a DC 14 Nature / Perception minor check will find it if it's in that patch, or a DC 21 History minor check can be made from anywhere to simply remember where it is. Once the secret entrance has been found, a DC 14 Athletics / Nature / Perception check lets you navigate the thick brush and get yourself in the entrance.
  • There's a narrow hole in the temple roof. Squeezing through it takes a DC 21 Acrobatics check.
  • The trees aren't easy to climb but it can be done with a DC 14 Acrobatics / Athletics minor check.

Wol fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 27, 2018

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Caelynn's appearance is mostly the same as what people are used to. Bright, golden-hued armor, a large sword, and her necklace proudly on display. Her attitude is very different, though. Where in previous matches she was excited, and even a bit of a show-off, her entrance now only consists of stoically marching along once their themesong kicks in, eyes never leaving La Familia, and dropping low into a readied stance right before the start signal sounds; but she's immediately engulfed in flames from Fortuna's molotov, disappearing from sight in the conflagration.

But a bright light comes down from the sky, and when the Rose Knight strides out of the flames with only minor scrapes and singes, her red hair flowing with the power surrounding her as her sword is wreathed in an eye-piercing glow. "So which one of you assholes was it, huh?" she said, slowly stalking around the bush, not going for the immediate target of Fortuna but instead keeping an eye on the last Familia member she'd seen before the match: Sante Rosso. "Did Giovanna use those little trinkets of hers?" She occasionally turns the sword in her hand in a lazy, large arc, shadows flickering across the arena like frightened specters. "Or are you the resident mechanic, maybe?" When she finally comes up behind Sante, she plants her sword in the ground, stepping in front of it so the light casts her features into a harsh shadow that looms over the gangster. "I would say 'if you tell me, I'll spare you', but I'm no liar."

"I know you think I'm not worthy of your power yet." The prayer goes out to her patron with a calm, steady thought. "But I'm not letting some punk-rear end cowards take your Knight away from you. So help me do that." As if in response, the sword's light grows to a blinding eclipse, and Sante doesn't even see her gauntlet-covered hand coming before it grabs onto his face and plows him into the wall of the temple... and again, and again.

Move around the threatened area to get behind Sante. Insight vs Sante at 1d20+11=17. Invoking Sunblade's Daily Power to succeed automatically.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

PDF

Watching La Familia come out, Vivi almost looks a bit bored, waiting for their turn to step out. There was something wholly... dull! Yes, completely and utterly dull to her about a bunch of adults preening about as dangerous killers. In an arena full of professional killers, including cross-overs like Roxie? Checkered pasts like her own? She finds her contemplation circuits getting trapped in a negatively spiraling loop as she thinks about what it means to only be distinguished by being completely shameless.

And she knew all about being completely shameless. Once her brain scan ports over to the fighting model she stalks around the prep room and seizes a roll of electrical tape. She makes a last minute adjustment to her outfit and bounces out on her heels on one side of the Furies flock as they enter the arena, spinning from side to side and beaming ear to ear like a delighted child showing off something they made! She poses and preens and teases a few flips of her skirt, her look so radically different from last time! Was cheap attention enough to satisfy this kill-bot? As she grabbed the bottom of her top and flipped it up to reveal that yes, she had taped little black Xs over her nipples, the answer was obvious. But cycling back to a serious feeling, Vivi leaps about ten feet diagonally to land on a tree branch like a predatory cat, watching La Familia show off. There was shameless outside of the arena but these guys...

In Vivi's eyes, they were truly pathetic. And she knew all about that too...

Her angry little eyes burn away the carefully prepared iris and sclera replacements as she ratchets her holographic projecters into a very dangerous overclocking. She giggles in response to burning heat sensations in places Humans shouldn't have them and produces a very hard-light set of targeting holos that light Pietro up in his shadow ball like a christmas tree, outlined perfectly in illusionary neon pink flames! As he tries to get a fix on what the hell is happening, where it's coming from or even if he can see through this clashing mess of dancing lights, Vivi leaps forward and lands in a speedy saunter, hips swaying with exaggeration as she comes up behind him. She pauses to blow a kiss to a camera(she's memorized the default layouts!) with two fingers, mouths to my best fan, Shandra and grabs Pietro's shoulders from behind! She applies a bit of force, psyching him out that she's about to spin him around before she does the natural thing and just hops around to his front, being far lighter than he is! She flickers her eyelashes over her exposed, purely robotic eyes and coos at him before her fingers part and blades pierce his collar bone, sliding through flesh to find the more stable trapezius muscles and root there, blood streaming. Any true Vivisector knows this one...

She presses in and violently kisses him, full blown passionate tongue and all! The Glamour Shot, the fake holographic pink flames spreading over Vivi herself as things are just getting way too hot! And they get too hot for Pietro as her tongue parts and a small spike skewers his own... and her canines ratchet forward with a sharp 90 degree adjustments before thrusting two inches out to search for flesh too! And she holds tight, burying her fingers deeper into his shoulders as she frenchs the literal life out of him, her hips pressed against his! It's no kill shot... she withdraws with a five foot hop backwards, her own mouth covered in his slick, hot blood, her fingers dripping... but it's sure loving stylish!

Bluff 15 for Normal Action to Darkfire into Glamour Shot Pietro. Burning Daily Unfettered Hunger to guarantee success and push him 1/2 of the way towards a kill... one more Check Success and he's down! Vivi would approach and be West of Pietro.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 8, 2018

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Pietro reels from Vivi's attack, backing up with one hand on his bleeding neck and the other trying to raise his revolver. But his stumbling retreat runs into an unexpected obstacle, bumping up against Siroko. He tries to turn on her, but as his gun come around Siroko catches it in her grip. Electricity arcs across it, and Pietro is thrown back, his hand smoking. Siroko glances at the gun in her hand, sneers at it, then pulls it apart, tossing the broken pieces aside as she advances on Pietro.

He tries to scramble away from her, back into the shadows, but she reaches down and grabs his ankle, yanking him back even as he claws at the ground. With frightening ease, she grabs him by the throat and pulls him to his feet. She pauses for a moment, letting him flail desperately as she looks over the rest of La Familia and the crowd, then lifts him up and slams him into the earth. Literally - the ground opens up as she throws him down, swallowing him up. When Siroko straightens, all that's left to see is an area of disturbed dirt.

Following up on Vivi, hitting Pietro.
Intimidate: 1d20+11 31

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

PDFII Entrance Music

"Leave me alone? Well, I guess that's ok," mutters Erzbet. "After all," she says, snapping her fingers, "I'm my own tag team."

Tiger appears with a little burst of motion, already moving to start shaking a bush. "Find me that snake in the grass," says Erzbet. "None of these pigs is getting out of this unslaughtered..." Mixed animal metaphors, she thinks. poo poo.

"...anyway, shake 'em lose!" she calls, and Tiger dives in. With two pairs of eyes, it's not long before Scalpel is exposed to the eye once more, bush parted by ghostly hand. "No brake lines here, Scissorhands," says Erzbet. "You can't stop this."

Normal action:
Perception: 1d20+11 15
Scalpel set up for the kill.

Mortify
Feb 4, 2005

Before the Match - 27th

Roxie presses her phone into Phia's much smaller hand, nodding at the woman with a grim smile, "Gracias amiga," and as easy as that she puts the concern over her social media presence down. Phia would do her job, and she had to do hers. Without the worry, the building anger for La Familia has nothing to tamp it down; Roxie's anger was not blazing, like Caelynn's righteous fury, it was only relentless, inexorable. She completes the transition to her doppelganger body and joins her teammates as they ready for their entrance.

In the Arena - 27th

Waiting for the signal consumes her, as she looks between Zio, Pietro, and Giovanna assembled to the north. Her awareness digs into the earth, into the boundary between this moment and the next, craving the call to loose her restraint. It does not surprise her when it begins, when broken glass and trace chemicals fill the air around her, and the tree springs into flame. That old moment is gone, and now Roxie is free from the shackles of propriety. Acrobat's reflexes send her into a tumble to protect her eyes and face from the worst, but instead of moving away from the attack, her motion sends her towards the danger. Cleverly hidden slits in her dress give way to make the maneuver possible, and she manages to make a defensive roll in stiletto heels seem natural. She is about to pursue Fortuna when Caelynn's shining light draws her eyes, and the opportunity seizes her.

Skirting the brush where surely Fortuna waits, she uses her teammate's brilliant (literally!) display to obscure her approach, staying low, moving fast. The shadows created by the sword make it all too easy. When Caelynn makes her demand, and Sante is held helpless, her moment arrives. Roxie closes the distance to him, shedding her heels as she does so. A gentle flick of her ankle casts one into her waiting hand - the Rose Knight's golden aura and the stadium's oppressive HID lamps combine to reveal the razor sharp point. Grasping the shoe by the body, Roxie's brutal precision introduces most of the heel to Sante's kidney - a fatal wound, but a slow, painful one.

"Díselo a los cuervos, puto."

Full Action:
Stealth: 1d20+12 30 - Hard DC

Mortify fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 9, 2018

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
The crowd goes absolutely wild for the Glamour Shot. Standing triumphantly atop the glowing stone pillar as she lets poor Pietro De Luca fall into Siroko's waiting arms below, Vivi knows for a cold hard fact that both photos and clips of her glory are already being shared around the world.

Meanwhile, Erzbet and Tiger Fury have managed to surround Giovanna. She's quick to lash out with a blade aimed directly for Erzbet's throat, but Tiger catches her arm. Quick as a whip, though, she counters, whirling round to free herself and sinking her other blade deep into Tiger Fury's ectoplasmic form. He dissipates, and Giovanna spins back around, catching Erzbet with a backswing that leaves a deep, painful gash in her arm. Unfortunately for Giovanna, Tiger Fury's done his job, stalling her long enough that she doesn't manage to inflict too much damage.

Fortuna, for her part, completely missed Roxie slipping by her - but she doesn't miss her teammate's cry as he falls. Bounding toward the place where Roxie and Caelynn took care Sante Rosso, Fortuna comes across Roxie from behind. She knows just what to do. While not quiet enough to sneak up on the duo, she's fast. Faster than either of you expected, and before you have the chance to do anything about it, she has a piano wire tightening around Roxie's neck.
"Eye for an eye? That how you want to play this? Fine, chica, let's play."

Out of the corner of your eye, you glimpse Zio Massimo setting something up on the ground - some kind of trap, clearly. He may have set more while your attention was focused on his teammates. You resolve to tread carefully around where you last spotted him.

Red circles represent La Familia's areas of Threat described above. Zio Massimo is not visible, but he's somewhere in or next to his area of Threat. The flaming tree is an independent area of Threat, and now also encompasses the ground below it. While Fortuna is still creating Threat, Roxie increases her checks' difficulty by one category.

Round 2 / 3

Arena Level: 4. Easy DC: 10 // Moderate DC: 14 // Hard DC: 21
La Familia Level: 4. Easy DC: 10 // Moderate DC: 14 // Hard DC: 21

Basic Rules
  • Win by getting everyone inside the temple by the end of the third round!
  • On each of your turns, you have time to traverse about half the arena and make one check.
  • You may spend a daily power or action point after making a check to force it to succeed.
  • Some checks are labeled minor checks. You can make up to two minor checks in a turn instead of a normal check. Before making a minor check, you can choose to make it as a normal check instead. If you do, lower the DC by one category.
  • Your opponents will create Threats. Doing things within a Threatened area without addressing the Threat will cost you a daily power or action point.
    • Evading or otherwise momentarily interfering with a Threat is generally a minor check.
    • Going on the offensive and attacking your opponent directly is a normal check, and prevents them from creating Threat on their next turn.
  • Normally I wouldn't encourage going for the kill in this kind of match, but given the circumstances, you KO an opponent if the following conditions are met: At least one normal check has succeeded against them, another minor or normal check has succeeded against them, and a daily power or action point has been spent as part of a check against them.

Points of Interest
  • The temple, and all pillars, are 20 feet high.
  • The cobblestone to the west is fairly solid, but has a couple gaps wide enough to see a room of the temple below.
  • The main doors are sealed with an arcane lock. The pink magic circle on the northeast pillar is the key; standing on it and making a DC 10 Arcana check will open the doors as long as you stay on it.
  • The temple's gargoyle guardians are asleep. The blue magic circle on the northwest pillar maintains the sleep spell; standing on it and making a DC 10 Arcana / Athletics check will dispel or destroy it, respectively. The gargoyles themselves are strong, can fly, and are functionally indestructible. Once woken, they generally won't attack fighters directly, but a DC 21 Diplomacy minor check can convince them to help you out in some way.
  • There's a secret entrance hidden in the brush somewhere. While standing inside a patch of brush, a DC 14 Nature / Perception minor check will find it if it's in that patch, or a DC 21 History minor check can be made from anywhere to simply remember where it is. Once the secret entrance has been found, a DC 14 Athletics / Nature / Perception check lets you navigate the thick brush and get yourself in the entrance.
  • There's a narrow hole in the temple roof. Squeezing through it takes a DC 21 Acrobatics check.
  • The trees aren't easy to climb but it can be done with a DC 14 Acrobatics / Athletics minor check.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

PDF

Standing on that pillar at the apex of a killer move is the absolute best feeling in the world. Vivi basks for only a moment before her iris forcefully jerks one of her exposed eyes out of sync with the other, targeting Giovanna. And in an occupied flank, exposed by Erzbet's ghostly tag team. With an effortless backflip Vivi descends from the tower to land in the tall grass! In a roundabout way outside of Zio's likely sphere of influence she stalks along on all fours, sliding into the large brush and pausing to tap her eye a few times with a fingernail, syncing the two back up. Real fans studied every frame.

She'd give them something to study tonight! With a few manual overrides internally she activates an axle orientation based in the frame of her jaw, simultaneously realigning all of her teeth to narrow and line up as bladed teeth. At a moment of downtime from Giovanna the lithe killbot pops up beside her and hisses, making a wavy, muted raspberry with the extended bladed bit of her tongue. With a planned pause Vivi waits for Giovanna to notice her, be shocked and react, brandishing her five-finger nanoblades to parry the incoming blow from Gio's wrist blades. Then Vivi feigns a thrust with her other hand before waiting to leap over her foe's predicted counter. Each time they exchange Vivi steps a bit closer or nicks Gio's arm or brings all of her fingers together but one before firing off a ranged knife, Vivi's alacrity insuring that each pass ends with Giovanna losing more and more blood. In truth it was almost too easy, Zz's excellent program enabling her to analyze every movement the other girl makes as though it was straight out of a martial arts text.

The only downside to this little game is that it might be hard for others to see the two in the brush. Vivi hmphs and puts a close-lipped smile over her predatory grin before bursting forward. The speed-up strains her legs to the point of blood vessels breaking up in thin red lines that bleed openly... but Vivi had already made a habit of ending her Furies fights with a huge amount of self-damage. She accelerates her desired actions down neuron transmissions with Zz's meleeing routine and repeatedly stabs her hands into Giovanna's torso, going for the trademark disembowling! With one final lunge, grip, twist and jerk Vivi pulls out that vital chunk of flesh needed to keep everything in the ribcage from spilling out at the cruel demand of gravity! The blood-covered, scantily-clad punk blows a kiss to the classy dame as their ichor mixes, her own blood dripping down from her biceps, elbows and shoulders burning in pain.

Acrobatics 18 to artfully leap from the tower and expending Gloves of Recovery Item Daily to force Success and Execute Giovanna! Movement takes me a touch North to leave Zio's threat circle entirely and then moving around it to come up behind Giovanna, adjacent NE of her.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

"No," Kate growls, "This is not an eye for an eye." She watches carefully, sword in hand, as Roxie struggles against the garrote. Taking a step to the left, she realizes Fortuna moves with her, wanting to keep Roxie as a human shield against her. "Do you know what the Furies were, Fortuna?" She grabs her sword from the ground, but keeps her eye on the struggling latinas without blinking. "The goddesses of vengeance. They heard the pleas of victims and doled out punishment in accordance to the crime." Her necklace begins to glow, but it's not nearly as bright as the sword was before. "This is your comeuppance. For all the years you cheated your way through the games. For all the years you coasted on the corruption. For every single team you arranged an "accident" for." Kate's eyes gleam, and she finally has a spot. "This is your loving end!" With a righteous cry, she charges forward, feints left, then takes her sword and spins around when Fortuna turns to face her and catches her in the side, leaving a deep gash. It's not enough to kill her, but enough for Roxie to finish the job.

"Everybody, on me! To the east!" she shouts as loudly as possible, hoping the other Furies can hear her over the din of the battle, as she runs back up to the temple and across the field. She remembered the location of that secret entrance. It would have to be their way in; getting the temple open meant somebody had to stand on the circle, and this way, everybody could get in in the last moments of the match, before they'd all be burnt to cinders.

Half action: Perception at 1d20+11=20 to set up Fortuna for Roxie to take her down.
Half action: History at 1d20+11=29 to find the secret entrance.
Moving to the front of the temple towards the location of the secret entrance.

Wahad fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Aug 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Siroko heads towards Caelynn, walking slowly backwards, looking where she last saw Zio. She bangs her hammer on her shield as she goes, and shouts, "You're a dead man, Zio, but you can choose how it goes down. You can die out here, shaking and shivering in a bush, alone and afraid. Or you can face the storm and die on your feat. I know which I'd chose - but I'm Siroko Tuuli. Time to choose, Zio."

Intimidate: 1d20+11 23