Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I put forth that both Gyros are good and that the old Duck Tales holds up so long as you remember it for the ridiculously sweet and cute 80s piece that it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Does remind me when watching Legend of the Three Caballeros that if it had come out before the new DuckTales I'm pretty sure it'd be very well recieved, or even like ten years ago, but it seems a little dated in its stylings now.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

HIJK posted:

I put forth that both Gyros are good and that the old Duck Tales holds up so long as you remember it for the ridiculously sweet and cute 80s piece that it is.

As cool as this Gizmoduck episode was I still like to go back and watch the 5 episode arc from the 80s series because it's still a charming show. Hell even the movie is fun to watch every so often

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was never quite into DuckTales - I preferred Darkwing Duck.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Aces High posted:

As cool as this Gizmoduck episode was I still like to go back and watch the 5 episode arc from the 80s series because it's still a charming show. Hell even the movie is fun to watch every so often

I have to admit, as much as I like the new Fenton, I think the old one was much better at shouting, "Gizmoduck!"

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I have to admit, as much as I like the new Fenton, I think the old one was much better at shouting, "Gizmoduck!"

I also liked the angle of being Scrooge’s accountant savant better. It feels like a better contrast to Gizmoduck.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

dirksteadfast posted:

I also liked the angle of being Scrooge’s accountant savant better. It feels like a better contrast to Gizmoduck.

Though I think having a math genius accountant wouldn't be as impressive nowadays because, y'know, computers.

(though we have seen Scrooge unable to understand half of what Mark Beaks says, then again I can hardly understand half of what Mark Beaks says, so it doesn't say much about how computer-literate Scrooge may be. He does strike me as the type to learn enough to not be easily fooled)

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Aces High posted:

The movie is weird because it just feels like a dry run for Aladdin

Didn’t stop me from wearing out that VHS when I was a lad

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Larryb posted:

This show continues to be better than the original in nearly every aspect, I don't think there's been a bad episode yet. They even vastly improved a lot of characters I kind of found annoying in the 1987 version (Webby, Beakly, the triplets, etc.).

I barely remember the old Ducktales, so I can't say how anyone in it compares to that and I've only just started reading the Carl Barks comics having never been exposed to any of the Scrooge comics at all before but I'm not really sold on Donald as of yet. He feels more like a caricature than a character; he's just a bit too hapless and incompetent at almost everything and the few times he isn't one or the other he's explosively angry and almost bumbling through despite his anger rather than because of it. He doesn't feel like someone who could survive day to day. Well, outside the first episode anyway. Him not being able to get out of a locked room in the last episode after everyone just kind of assumes he'd create an unholy mess if he was cooking kind of says it all about him really.

I'd assume given the first episode that he'll be a bit more layered once they start to use him a bit more and especially once the Della stuff starts to come together since that seems to be the locus of his relationship with Scrooge but as is he's spent a dozen or more episodes being nearly a running joke. Even in the episode with Storkules he seems to have just kind of pratfallen his way through things. Which isn't bad as an occasional thing, but is annoying when blind luck (good or bad) is the only reason a character ever accomplishes anything. It's Jar Jar Binks basically. Everything works out for him despite himself and it's just underwhelming. Webby calls Donald "the greatest adventurer in the world" or possibly "of all time" in the first episode and I'm definitely not feeling it right now. Even in that episode, he mostly saved things by happenstance, when he plugged a hole without meaning to.

Then again, I wasn't a fan of Gladstone in his one appearance either and I seem to be in the minority in that regard since the thread seemed to love what the show did with him so maybe it's just me on this.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 18, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

tsob posted:

Webby calls Donald "the greatest adventurer in the world" or possibly "of all time" in the first episode and I'm definitely not feeling it right now. Even in that episode, he mostly saved things by happenstance, when he plugged a hole without meaning to.

Then again, I wasn't a fan of Gladstone in his one appearance either and I seem to be in the minority in that regard since the thread seemed to love what the show did with him so maybe it's just me on this.

She calls Donald "One of the greatest adventurers of all time." Not the greatest. And after calling him that it flashes to him losing his temper over a stapler and pinning himself to a wall.

Gladstone is pretty much the same here as he is in the comics.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Are you suggesting that he's not actually supposed to be a good adventurer at all? Because my take on that scene, at least at the time, was that it was showing that adventure was about the one thing he might be good at and that he's not cut out for a workaday lifestyle, where his short temper ends up causing trouble rather than solving it. I'd hope it's not just supposed to be setting the expectation that he's a buffoon from the start.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Donald's wizard career didn't work out so he came crawling back to adventuring to put food on the table.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Donald is usually shown to be some kind of hyper savant just by the amount of job’s he’s able to achieve competence at - as his stories go he usually does fairly well in whatever he tries at the beginning, and crap only happens because his temper, getting in over his head, or plain bad luck.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Avalerion posted:

Donald is usually shown to be some kind of hyper savant just by the amount of job’s he’s able to achieve competence at - as his stories go he usually does fairly well in whatever he tries at the beginning, and crap only happens because his temper, getting in over his head, or plain bad luck.

Being subscribed to the ducktales thread and various politics threads makes conversations about Donald Duck confusing.

The newbie avatars don't help

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pakled posted:

Being subscribed to the ducktales thread and various politics threads makes conversations about Donald Duck confusing.

The newbie avatars don't help

I've kind of had the same experience, not gonna lie. It doesn't help that there's a lot of Donald Trump in Glomgold--intentionally or otherwise. Glomgold is infinitely more amusing and likeable in comparison, however.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Though I think having a math genius accountant wouldn't be as impressive nowadays because, y'know, computers.

though Scrooge, he does strike me as the type to learn enough to not be easily fooled

My dad has been an accountant for 35 years and if you take away the manic energy OG Fenton has that is basically what my dad is like when it comes to money and taxes.

Scrooge absolutely is the type of person to have someone like that on retainer because the money he will save from unknown tax breaks, credits, etc. will justify whatever pittance he will pay as salary. Reminds me of Scrooge's interview process as well "what would you do if I gave you a million dollars? That was a trick question, I would NEVER give anyone a million dollars"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Avalerion posted:

That and as demonstrated in the Gladstone Gander episode, Donald when pushed far enough can be particular competent in adventuring shenanigans mostly when he panics and overdoes things and/or completely loses his poo poo and ploughs through everything in his path in a blind rage. See also when he took on Bouncer Beagle with zero hesitation and won, mostly through frenzied attacking and fighting utterly dirty.

It can be hard to tell given he's also balancing that with the characterisation of a luckless, hard-working, somewhat selfish and egotistical everyman and a put-upon, overprotective guardian of three mischevious children, and drawing from literal decades of varying characterisation as he's been dropped into every role the writers find him useful for. You can see him switch between his classic cartoon incarnations and more comics-inspired ones at times mid-scene.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I barely remember the original Ducktales, but I don't remember Donald being in it at all. If I had a single complaint about new Ducktales it would be Donald, he just seems so out of place. You've got this modern cartoon with well developed characters and continuity, and then there's Donald, whose traits are being impossible to understand, getting really angry all the time, and then doing some silly, for lack of a better word, cartoony slapstick to get out of the mess he's made. Even visually he stands out, being almost black and white except for his bill. I've never read any of the comics and my only point of reference is the 2017 and 1987 shows, but I'm never happy to see Donald show up in an episode. Except for that one where he was only on screen long enough for a character to say they couldn't understand him and that was it, that was a good Donald appearance.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Donald owns and he should be in the show much more. Right now it feels like they slapped him in the promotional material for the sake of making people interested without actually having any plans to really utilize the character for anything other than dumb slapstick gags. It's doing a total disservice to the Donald established by the Barks and Rosa comics, despite the showrunners' claims about taking influence specifically from there.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

counterfeitsaint posted:

I barely remember the original Ducktales, but I don't remember Donald being in it at all. If I had a single complaint about new Ducktales it would be Donald, he just seems so out of place. You've got this modern cartoon with well developed characters and continuity, and then there's Donald, whose traits are being impossible to understand, getting really angry all the time, and then doing some silly, for lack of a better word, cartoony slapstick to get out of the mess he's made. Even visually he stands out, being almost black and white except for his bill. I've never read any of the comics and my only point of reference is the 2017 and 1987 shows, but I'm never happy to see Donald show up in an episode. Except for that one where he was only on screen long enough for a character to say they couldn't understand him and that was it, that was a good Donald appearance.

He was barely in OG Ducktails, he was serving in the navy and that's why the triplets were with Scrooge.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
My hope is that they're setting up Donald as a tired dad guy to really blow the nephew's minds when they start to hear stories of Donald and Della as badass adventurers.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, but they're, like, 2 seasons in. The set-up needs to get paid off.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's still the first season though?

Edit: yeah, there are still 5 episodes left in this season.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 20, 2018

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh. I'm watching it on Prime and it's split up into multiple parts. Thought it was in seasons!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

RandomPauI posted:

It's still the first season though?

Edit: yeah, there are still 5 episodes left in this season.

My TiVo guide says the last two episodes were the first two of season 2.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Season 1 ends with a two part finale which has been renamed The Shadow War

Airs both parts on Aug 18.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Senerio posted:

Season 1 ends with a two part finale which has been renamed The Shadow War

Airs both parts on Aug 18.

That's a shame. I liked Day of McDuck / Night of DeSpell much better.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I did too.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
Here's the Comic-Con trailer for the rest of the year, some spoilers in here so be wary...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2CiLBUCe5E

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

GLOSS posted:

Here's the Comic-Con trailer for the rest of the year, some spoilers in here so be wary...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2CiLBUCe5E

DON KARNAGE SONG

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So for some reason they'll be swapping out Donald's VA for the season finale, not sure why exactly.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/07/20/don-cheadle-donald-duck-ducktales/

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Larryb posted:

So for some reason they'll be swapping out Donald's VA for the season finale, not sure why exactly.

"Don Cheadle, Actor, Thanos Survivor"

Oh my god

The interview is amazing

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

I'm guessing either Donald gets whammied as a part of Magica's shadowpocalypse and comes out briefly sounding like Don Cheadle, or there's a some kind of Donald-Vision gag like what they did on King of the Hill with Boomhauer, where Donald Duck sounds like a normal articulate person... to Donald Duck, while everyone else around him sounds like an incomprehensible raspy screaming lunatic.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Well, I wasn't able to get into the panel, but I did get to ask Frank Argones when they were going to confirm that Della died on her way back to her home planet so today's going pretty well so far.

e:

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm guessing either Donald gets whammied as a part of Magica's shadowpocalypse and comes out briefly sounding like Don Cheadle, or there's a some kind of Donald-Vision gag like what they did on King of the Hill with Boomhauer, where Donald Duck sounds like a normal articulate person... to Donald Duck, while everyone else around him sounds like an incomprehensible raspy screaming lunatic.

Apparently that was answered at the panel!

https://twitter.com/DisneyTVA/status/1020449477465919489?s=19

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 21, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Looks like we're getting Rockerduck, Dijon, Bubba, and Fethry.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Here is Rockerduck

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
SDCC put up a slideshow with some Season 2 character stills (it's what that image above this is from):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rTzuLFuDfE

e:
Credit to tumblr for this crossover spoiler with Steven Universe

Senerio fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 21, 2018

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
those people are sure excited about ducktales :unsmith:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Something I noticed, another fun fact:

The device that allows Donald to talk normally is the Barksian Modulator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Theory - Magica DeSpell is Della Duck and the Spear of Selene has something to do with it.