Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
don't forget to opt out of this my health record bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
https://twitter.com/sirswampthing/status/1018061056046870528?s=21

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

always post sick torps

https://twitter.com/melbournefc/status/1018729440703107074?s=21

https://twitter.com/theroarsports/status/1018653153086980097?s=21

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Gawn and Grundy are the two best rucks this year, probably were last year, and will be for the next 4 years

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

Gawn and Grundy are the two best rucks this year, probably were last year, and will be for the next 4 years

Yeah, given Nic Nats injury troubles I think there is daylight between Gawn and the comp for tap work and the same for Grundy once it hits the ground.

If Gawn could actually kick for poo poo when he takes a mark 20 out it would help a bit too.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Paul Roos said On The Couch that when he came to the Demons he wanted Shaun Higgins as part of his established player recruitment strategy, and someone in the club talked him out of it saying Higgins was cooked.

Ffffffuuuccckkk what a get that would have been

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

quote:

GEELONG coach Chris Scott says the AFL could scrap runners from the game if it finds fault in the controversial movements of Sydney Swans’ runner Jeremy Laidler late in Sunday’s thrilling win over North Melbourne.

The league will investigate claims Swans’ runner Laidler deliberately guarded space inside the corridor and instructed Sydney players to slow the game down and pick up opponents in the frantic finish.

Replayed vision shows Laidler barely left the centre square throughout the final two minutes of the Swans’ six-point win at Etihad Stadium.

Runners are required to leave the field quickly after passing on messages and are prohibited from coaching or instructing players “in play”.

The AFL can fine a club or suspend the runner if the league believes the runner is trying to guard space or coach from the field.

Replays clearly show Laidler waving his arms to Sydney players several times in the last two minutes, encouraging Sydney players to keep possession of the ball and take their time.

The AFL confirmed it would assess Laidler’s movements but that it had not received a complaint from North Melbourne.

Coaching legend Mick Malthouse highlighted Laidler’s movements on ABC radio in-play, believing the former Carlton and Sydney defender was effectively coaching from on the ground.

The situation has reignited debate about runners and whether they are necessary in the modern game.

How unlike Sydney to do something like that, as they have no track record at all of consistently breaking runner and interchange rules as part of match day tactics.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
A friend of mine released a podcast about concussion in local footy. Thought you might like it

https://unsociablegame.net

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Scrapping runners would be gr8.

Or forcing them to get in and off in the 40 seconds after a goal for the reset.

Of course the afl would eventually introduce a timeout rule to sell adspace during 2 minute time outs or something.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Poison the runners on game day, the antidote must be milked from a sphinx cat they have to keep with them at all times.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Scrapping runners would not be great at all. Its near impossible to relay messages or tell a player to interchange without one. Footy fields are BIG.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
SOS did a good interview with Caroline Wilson and Matthew Loyd on Footy Classified, put them in their places and shut them down.

Meanwhile Judd sat awkwardly on the sidelines not talking during the segment because of a conflict of interest. Doens't mean he didn't have fun though

https://twitter.com/travis13cloke/status/1018839875070484485

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

NTRabbit posted:

How unlike Sydney to do something like that, as they have no track record at all of consistently breaking runner and interchange rules as part of match day tactics.

It was super obvious at the ground what the runner was doing, a lot of Roos supporters were getting lovely about it.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

I'm in a desperate state trying to find a silver lining to Nic Nat's bloody ACL. My understanding for players that end up missing a season with injury is that their club gets special allowances within the salary cap to pay for the retention part of their contract during their extended absence. So, assuming he's missing all of 2019, that leaves about a million dollars on the table that could be used to boost and secure West Coasts contract negotiations with Lycett, McGovern and Gaff.

I need something out of this, i'm very sad right now. This is not how a person should feel after belting the pies.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The way the weagles played after he went down strongly suggested life after NicNat. If Lycett also goes down, you're hosed but outside of that I'd still rate the weagles 2nd rn (a long, looooooooooong way behind Richmond at the G).

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sicily out for 6 weeks, rip season 2018

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Time to play the kids!

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

masterpine posted:

I'm in a desperate state trying to find a silver lining to Nic Nat's bloody ACL. My understanding for players that end up missing a season with injury is that their club gets special allowances within the salary cap to pay for the retention part of their contract during their extended absence. So, assuming he's missing all of 2019, that leaves about a million dollars on the table that could be used to boost and secure West Coasts contract negotiations with Lycett, McGovern and Gaff.

I need something out of this, i'm very sad right now. This is not how a person should feel after belting the pies.

I've never heard that salary cap stuff before, do you have any further info on it? I'd be shocked if that was the case cause I always figured that that was just one of the risks teams took.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

realbez posted:

Sicily out for 6 weeks, rip season 2018

He couldn't bear not playing against Jed lamb on the weekend. rip.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Selwood confirmed diver by the tribunal, Gibbs fine dismissed

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

NTRabbit posted:

Selwood confirmed diver by the tribunal
(sus)

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

drunkill posted:

He couldn't bear not playing against Jed lamb on the weekend. rip.

lamb is lucky to be playing

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

snaeksikn posted:

lamb is lucky to be playing

He isn’t

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Nobody is lucky to be playing for Carlton in the year 2018

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

Selwood confirmed diver by the tribunal, Gibbs fine dismissed

Glad you’ve finally come to the sensible conclusion that Tom Lynch faked injury to spite Jack Viney, and that Richard Douglas is an evil thug

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

drunkill posted:

SOS did a good interview with Caroline Wilson and Matthew Loyd on Footy Classified, put them in their places and shut them down.

Meanwhile Judd sat awkwardly on the sidelines not talking during the segment because of a conflict of interest. Doens't mean he didn't have fun though

https://twitter.com/travis13cloke/status/1018839875070484485

Stephen Silvagni? As in Stephen Silvagni, head list manager of the worst football club of the last 22 years, managed to argue this was not the case? Did he ride in on a unicorn hovercraft as well?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Add another one to the Bulldogs gigantic injury list with Lukas Webb being gone for the season after suffering a neck injury against Casey on the weekend. Suffered it in the first half but played the second half but pulled up with discomfort on Monday and had some scans done. It hasn't been confirmed what it is but Bevo is saying it's very serious so I assume it's a fractured vertebrae or something along those lines.

Also Tom Campbell has been battling Plantar Fasciitis for the past two months which would absolutely explain why he can't get a senior game since a foot injury for a ruck is so much more serious due to having to jump more.

Libba - season
Picken - season
Dale - season
C.Smith - season/retired
Webb - season
Redpath - very likely season
Wood - likely season
Williams - likely turn out to be season
Dickson- Can't get out and is touch and go to get back out there

What a good loving season for us

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Periphery posted:

I've never heard that salary cap stuff before, do you have any further info on it? I'd be shocked if that was the case cause I always figured that that was just one of the risks teams took.

Had a big old read through the current CBA and couldn't find anything about it so i guess i'll just go and stock up on whiskey now. I had thought something had crept in to the CBA to encourage clubs to pick up or retain injury prone players.

Lycett will demand a huge pay packet. Goodbye Gaff. Goodbye McGovern. If the Eagles do end up keeping Lycett, 2019 could still be an alright year. People forget that we didn't just lose Nic Nat last year, Lycett also missed the entire season with a dodgy shoulder. He's a hell of a ruckman who's just been unlucky to be in the same side as a bit of a freak.

Barrass is the natural replacement for McGoverns duties too, he's an absolute gem of a player who's just getting bigger and better.

Edit: Looks like i got confused with the NRL introducing injured player salary cap relief.

masterpine fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 18, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Curtly Hampton just announced his retirement, his horror show of a final game was a disappointing way to go

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

NTRabbit posted:

Curtly Hampton just announced his retirement, his horror show of a final game was a disappointing way to go

If the passion is gone then the passion is gone. Playing AFL is a dream job to many but Christ it's gotta be insanely mentally exhausting and I'm shocked that there's not more players just saying that they're done with it.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

masterpine posted:

Had a big old read through the current CBA and couldn't find anything about it so i guess i'll just go and stock up on whiskey now. I had thought something had crept in to the CBA to encourage clubs to pick up or retain injury prone players.

Lycett will demand a huge pay packet. Goodbye Gaff. Goodbye McGovern. If the Eagles do end up keeping Lycett, 2019 could still be an alright year. People forget that we didn't just lose Nic Nat last year, Lycett also missed the entire season with a dodgy shoulder. He's a hell of a ruckman who's just been unlucky to be in the same side as a bit of a freak.

Barrass is the natural replacement for McGoverns duties too, he's an absolute gem of a player who's just getting bigger and better.

Edit: Looks like i got confused with the NRL introducing injured player salary cap relief.

Why is it goodbye to McGovern, other than the fact he hasn't signed yet?

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

NPR Journalizard posted:

He's coming to Adelaide because of our strong culture and leadership

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
It would be immensely tough for a fringe AFL player to not be constantly looking at social media, seeing the awful things that Joe Dipshit says about you on Facebook or Bigfooty and think "Why bother putting in all this effort just to help the team that you cretins support"

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

NPR Journalizard posted:

Freo and the Saints are both after him. He'll probably demand more money that we can afford given our backline, as great as he is in it, could function without him there. Bunga will go around for another few years and the younger players down there will all support him well. It's super rare for anyone to swap between the WA teams but he's got a bit of family history with Freo since his old man played for them.

I would predict Perth Stadium isn't designed to withstand the levels of boo-ing if he were to run out in dockers colours at a derby, so, perhaps the state governement will step in.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

racing identity posted:

It would be immensely tough for a fringe AFL player to not be constantly looking at social media, seeing the awful things that Joe Dipshit says about you on Facebook or Bigfooty and think "Why bother putting in all this effort just to help the team that you cretins support"

I often wonder this about the usual club whipping boys.

Someone like Richard Douglas still gets ridden hard by so many Crows fans, despite being one of the toughest players to ever wear the guernsey. He's bled so often for the club just for fans online call him soft every week. And it's not even like he's a bad player. He'd have to be a tiny bit pissed off about it.

Testekill posted:

If the passion is gone then the passion is gone. Playing AFL is a dream job to many but Christ it's gotta be insanely mentally exhausting and I'm shocked that there's not more players just saying that they're done with it.

The passion was gone, and also he was suffering from vertigo apparently which explains why he seemed utterly unable to exert himself physically in the last match. Poor guy. I hope the club and the AFL broadly supports him as much as he needs going forward.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

masterpine posted:

Freo and the Saints are both after him. He'll probably demand more money that we can afford given our backline, as great as he is in it, could function without him there. Bunga will go around for another few years and the younger players down there will all support him well. It's super rare for anyone to swap between the WA teams but he's got a bit of family history with Freo since his old man played for them.

I would predict Perth Stadium isn't designed to withstand the levels of boo-ing if he were to run out in dockers colours at a derby, so, perhaps the state governement will step in.

I wonder if Lycett may want to be a #1 ruckman for times outside of when Nic Nat is injured and could request a trade to a club that needs one? That may leave West Coast enough cash to keep McGovern? It does seem that between Gaff and McGovern it may be hard for the Eagles to not lose someone.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Periphery posted:

I wonder if Lycett may want to be a #1 ruckman for times outside of when Nic Nat is injured and could request a trade to a club that needs one? That may leave West Coast enough cash to keep McGovern? It does seem that between Gaff and McGovern it may be hard for the Eagles to not lose someone.

The Crows and Port will be looking for a #1 ruckman soon, with both Jacobs and Ryder hitting 31 early next season, and neither club having anything of note waiting in the wings, which is the biggest threat to the Eagles retaining him.

cmndstab posted:

Someone like Richard Douglas still gets ridden hard by so many Crows fans, despite being one of the toughest players to ever wear the guernsey. He's bled so often for the club just for fans online call him soft every week. And it's not even like he's a bad player. He'd have to be a tiny bit pissed off about it.

The passion was gone, and also he was suffering from vertigo apparently which explains why he seemed utterly unable to exert himself physically in the last match. Poor guy. I hope the club and the AFL broadly supports him as much as he needs going forward.

It was mentioned in the NBA thread that some big player agents were saying new players to the league now are more and more heavily impacted by social media criticism than ever, I imagine it's not far off here.

In happier news, Brodie Smith returns to the SANFL this week after his qualifying final ACL tear.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 18, 2018

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

cmndstab posted:

It is drilled into kids before they're even drafted that they need to avoid social media like the plague. Most of them don't because what kid wouldn't get a kick out of seeing their names on BigFooty phantom drafts or whatever but they pretty quickly learn.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Periphery posted:

He has said as much, he wants the number 1 spot badly and now due to this injury he's actually got it. He'll be number 1 at West Coast for all of 2019, and then he's got a bloke who'll be 30 years old and has two dodgy knees as his counterpart if he decides to stick at the Eagles for the journey. Considering Nic Nat has been playing limited game time all this year, i cant imagine him rucking full time if he comes back from his second ACL. He may not even ruck if he returns, Kennedy will be 32 in 2020 and has already had odd foot and ankle issues. Naitanui is a big bloke who is super hard to match up on in a forward line not to mention the pressure he puts on at ground level. Man can also take a mark.

There's not many teams that play two rucks evenly like West Coast do, it's why neither Lycett nor Nic Nat show up at the top of the stat sheets despite being elite ruckmen with a dominant midfield. I expect Lycett wont be playing forward so much any more so look out for some huge numbers from him. We could throw Vardy into the ruck 50/50 but i would reckon he'll be in more as a relief ruckman.

West Coast like to have elite ruckmen, we don't have one ready if we can't keep Lycett. We've got Tony Olango ( big Sudanese bloke who could be anything, he's another freakishly good athlete) in the wings but he needs time. Lycett has gone from "nice to keep to have him with Nic Nat" to "vital going forward".

The Eagles highest paid player is going to end up having played about 15 limited games between the ages of 25 and 30. That sucks for us and the AFL. Being at the ground and watching the big panther do his thing is some special stuff and now i'm sad again.

masterpine fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jul 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

lycett is going to get a season ending injury in the next week or two imo, its just the way it always works out