Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edward Mass posted:

Now that you mention it, I think that’s the problem I have with the teaser. I’m pretty sure 9-12 all said “My name is the Doctor” or something similar in theirs. 13 just smiles.

She has a nice smile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The_Doctor posted:

That was completely canon, fight me.

EXPLAIN THE GIANT SILURIAN HEAD

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Davros1 posted:

EXPLAIN THE GIANT SILURIAN HEAD

JENNY: Big fella, isn't he?
VASTRA: Dinosaurs were mostly this size. I do believe it's a she.
JENNY: No, they weren't, I've seen fossils.
VASTRA: I was there.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!

Lessail posted:

I wonder if there's maybe something that recently changed with Doctor Who that might bring in a new and different audience

Doubtful, as even single-celled organisms dwelling at the bottom of the ocean have heard "the new Doctor is a lady" by now.

Wheat Loaf posted:

She has a nice smile.

She absolutely does. :3:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Jodie looks the part and has an absolutely winning smile. Beyond that, I'm not very hyped for Beano Regenerating Pizza Beans Doctor.

It's not just the pizza--the other food thing is the first guy's food is changed to fish fingers and custard. That plus the Beano is in solid 11 reference territory.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Astroman posted:

It's not just the pizza--the other food thing is the first guy's food is changed to fish fingers and custard. That plus the Beano is in solid 11 reference territory.

I think he just gets a glimpse of someone else seeing fish fingers and custard and then sees someone disappearing and thinks "Did I just see...?"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Doctor Who: 100 posts speculating on 40 seconds of pizza

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
For some reason the Twitch marathon is showing a version of Vengeance on Varos that was chopped up into 4 25-minute episodes for overseas, and it's in way worse video quality too.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

OBVIOUSLY the doctor's regeneration is unstable and leaking time energy causing things to randomly rewind

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Vinylshadow posted:

People who died before 1966

Poor Hartnell fans

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I still can't get over how pitch-perfect "Awww... brilliant! :haw:" was :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
From today’s Daily Mirror (print only, weirdly):

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Macra Terror in particular is one I found the reconstruction for lacking, so I'm pretty happy if that is getting the animation treatment. Wheel in Space kicks off the greatest trio in Who history though: 2, Jamie and Zoe. Can't wait to get that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Most excellent news, the Daleks animation was pretty good.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Okay apparently the rest of S22 will be the 25-minute edits so they can show more ads. It's amusing to see some of the "cliffhangers" but the picture quality's way worse.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay apparently the rest of S22 will be the 25-minute edits so they can show more ads. It's amusing to see some of the "cliffhangers" but the picture quality's way worse.

I was going to ask if you were trapped in 1985 and needed help, then I remembered you talking about the Twitch stream.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It's reinforcing my perception that Colin Baker's run was actually good

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

As somebody who thinks Colin Baker is great.... his TV run was NOT good :smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

As somebody who thinks Colin Baker is great.... his TV run was NOT good :smith:

Vengeance on Varos is A classic.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I like most of "The Trial of a Time Lord"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm about to beat y'all about the head with my copy of Timelash.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s been a long time since I’ve watched Classic Who and I have a huge backlog thanks to a couple London trips. Popped in The Two Doctors, and uh... C. Baker is not great. He’s honestly killing any enthusiasm I had to watch this, even with Troughton, Jamie, and the Spanish location shooting.

I know you’re all about to tell me how good he is in BF, but man his tv run is rough.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

As the guy who just said his TV run isn't great, The Two Doctors really is actually one of my favorites and it's not JUST because Patrick Troughton and Jamie are in it :sweatdrop:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I know you’re all about to tell me how good he is in BF, but man his tv run is rough.

He was dealt a bum hand in his tv run.

They did attempt to rectify his character post-hiatus, during Trial of a Timelord, but those serials have enough problems of their own - but they did tone down the dickish factor.

(Also, yes, he's really good in BF :sweatdrop:)

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

It's not meant to be taken literally. Any more than Eleven and Amy falling into a DMT tunnel while lying on the grass was, all those years ago

It wasn't that long ago, the announcement of Matt Smith as the Doctor was only (does math)...nine and a half years ago?!?!

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Having somehow got through most of the original show now, I still find I was least engaged during Peter Davisons run. Something about his low key playing of the character mixed with his often outright obnoxious companions made most of his run a real slog for me. Nobody ever seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It was a little too crowded in the TARDIS. I don't mind the idea of 3 companions even if I feel a trio is the best (2/Jamie/Zoe, 2/Jamie/Victoria, 6/Jamie/Peri, 9/Rose/Jack, 11/Amy/Rory all rocked) but during the Davison era it did feel like they had maybe enough material for 1 or 2 of the companions at a time, and all they could think of was to write one of the others out as early in the story as possible. 1/Ian/Barbara/Susan suffered from that too, with Susan usually being the one sidelined (or, hilariously, the Doctor himself) and I think the show would have been stronger with 5, Tegan and Turlough as a trio.

More Tegan is always good though.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

It was a little too crowded in the TARDIS. I don't mind the idea of 3 companions even if I feel a trio is the best (2/Jamie/Zoe, 2/Jamie/Victoria, 6/Jamie/Peri, 9/Rose/Jack, 11/Amy/Rory all rocked) but during the Davison era it did feel like they had maybe enough material for 1 or 2 of the companions at a time, and all they could think of was to write one of the others out as early in the story as possible. 1/Ian/Barbara/Susan suffered from that too, with Susan usually being the one sidelined (or, hilariously, the Doctor himself) and I think the show would have been stronger with 5, Tegan and Turlough as a trio.

More Tegan is always good though.

I've just started in with the Turlough stories in my (very very slow) run through the 5th Doctor era and I totally agree. It doesn't really hurt that the stories really start getting stronger from, say, Arc of Infinity onward. (And goddamn was Mawdryn Undead a lot more fun than I had remembered).

As for Six, while I don't like Vengeance on Varos that much, I remember the DVD commentary for it being fantastic, and Colin's very engaged and passionate examination of everything that both did and didn't work in it was like Step One of his rehabilitation in my mind. (Steps 2-9,738 were in Big Finish, of course.)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Jerusalem posted:

9/Rose/Jack,

I feel like this is the trio that has the most room for expanded stories to be told about, but also the one with the least chance of that happening.

Has everyone seen the trailer for Matt Smith's zombie movie (and Matt Smith's American accent?)

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

howe_sam posted:

Has everyone seen the trailer for Matt Smith's zombie movie (and Matt Smith's American accent?)

I'm definitely interested in Patient Zero for the cast - Matt Smith, Natalie Dormer, and Stanley freakin' Tucci as an intelligent infected.*

(Infected, not zombie, because the people in the movie are said to be sick with a form of super rabies and the word "zombie" implies the subject is dead/undead meaning they died sometime during the turning process and I WILL loving FIGHT YOU ON THIS ONE LIKE I DID MY WIFE FOR TWO HOURS LAST NIGHT AND I WON THAT ARGUMENT WHEN SHE RESORTED TO BEING ANTI-SEMANTIC!)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yikes. So the 28 Days Later zombies...

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

Yikes. So the 28 Days Later zombies...

I hate you and I hate the bands you like.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I want Matt Smith to be the new Reed Richards/Mr Fantastic when Disney reboots the Fantastic Four.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rhyno posted:

I want Matt Smith to be the new Reed Richards/Mr Fantastic when Disney reboots the Fantastic Four.

Best thing about this is theyd save money on the stretching CGI.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Yeah, given how expressive Matt is with his hands...

Would his chin stretch too?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

This is the first Reed casting idea I’ve actually liked

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ah, BRIAN BLESSED on Twitch. C.Bakes is on better form than I remember. This is very much his S10 Capaldi season. A more mellow Doctor, less acerbic.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I can certainly understand the dislike of Colin Bakers run at the time, being as it was what the show was going to be, going forward, as far as anybody knew, but in the aftermath of what I saw as a somewhat disappointing and staid run by Davison, the crazy aesthetic, ultra-violence, and very 80s feel was something of a pleasant change for me. It also helped that I knew my Favorite Doctor was coming back, even if it was in a less than stellar story, and that it wasn't going to be a run I would have to deal with for long.

McCoy I like quite a bit, even if I still haven't powered through the last few eps yet.

Addendum: Davison's last serial is definitely his best, as is often remarked upon when trying to figure out a good episode to represent his run. My choice? Probably Enlightenment, as images from that episode stand out most in my mind out of any in other in his run, and I am a willing apologist for style if substance is wanting.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

God the Trial of a Timelord era theme is the worst. Hard to believe it was followed by the brilliant McCoy era theme.

It’s amazing how much Doctor Who I’ve been watching thanks to twitch taking the decision of which episode to watch for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rhyno posted:

Disney/Marvel get the rights back?

• Locked thread