Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

angrygodofjebus posted:

The National is playing a Lolla after show on 8/2, also at the Metro. So now I'm seeing Chvrches there on 8/1 and The National there on 8/2 :dance:

It's not my favorite song, but would be kind of cool to see Berninger and Lauren play My Enemy at some point.

That's a hell of way to kick off the month and I'm jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
drat the Let's Eat Grandma album is fantastic

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm new to this thread but I would like opinions on this (apologies if this has been discussed before)

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/pg78ky/the-killers-mr-brightside-not-left-uk-charts-since-2004

Is it just as simple that we like them more than americans do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzEs17iI2W4

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I'm always kind of amazed how huge that song got and that it gets a pass for having one verse, prechorus, and chorus and then couldn't think of anything else so it just gets repeated.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Don’t know if this has been mentioned already but The Horrors’ double single release Fire Escape/Water Drop is so good. I can’t wait to see them. I don’t think I’ve seen them since their second album.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
ha ha ha this is incredible

https://twitter.com/CHAST1TYBELT/status/1018581537921556480

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

does anyone in this thread gently caress with soccer mommy at all? my younger sister recommended me check her out after she saw them open for paramore. probably the dorkiest way possible to find out a band but the album she came out with a few months ago is great

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Me and my festival buddies have seen let's eat grandma several times ironically because of their silly name and they do this very silly hair twirling thing mid way through their set and because for a while they were playing the first slot at every festival we went too.

It blows my mind that the new album is really good.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

landgrabber posted:

does anyone in this thread gently caress with soccer mommy at all? my younger sister recommended me check her out after she saw them open for paramore. probably the dorkiest way possible to find out a band but the album she came out with a few months ago is great

Finding out about Soccer Mommy through your younger sister is totally on-brand. If you're really embarrassed, you can tell folks you read about her in the New Yorker.

I'm not her biggest fan, but I support what she's doing. For me, I thought "Your Dog" was really brilliant, but I ended up disappointed her album didn't sound more like that one. Maybe I should give it another listen.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

DasNeonLicht posted:

Finding out about Soccer Mommy through your younger sister is totally on-brand. If you're really embarrassed, you can tell folks you read about her in the New Yorker.

I'm not her biggest fan, but I support what she's doing. For me, I thought "Your Dog" was really brilliant, but I ended up disappointed her album didn't sound more like that one. Maybe I should give it another listen.

i actually don't love your dog that much - i think cool and last girl are some of the standouts of the album, but yeah it does get kind of lost. i wish she punched through the spacier sound more often (which i think she will)

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
Yeah, kid's still got a lot of time

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
New Animal Collective album on August 7th: https://www.stereogum.com/2005836/animal-collective-hair-cutter-video/video/

Your mileage might vary depending on if you're into spacey experimental AnCo or not but I'm hype for this

Shoshie
Nov 22, 2007

HorseRenoir posted:

New Animal Collective album on August 7th: https://www.stereogum.com/2005836/animal-collective-hair-cutter-video/video/

Your mileage might vary depending on if you're into spacey experimental AnCo or not but I'm hype for this

I came in just to post this.

Oddsac was interesting, but I've never really revisited it since was released. I hope this music stands better on its own. I'm digging the new song though. Kinda sounds like what Geologist was doing when he opened for Panda Bear on this last tour. As with any AnCo record, I have high hopes and want to like it.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Soccer Mommy came up on my discovery early this year and I dig a few of her songs. I saw her a few months back, and while it wasn't at the top of my shows this year, it was pretty good and probably worth checking out if she came to your parts.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

landgrabber posted:

Stuck with me more than Snail Mail but hey :shrug:

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

DasNeonLicht posted:

Yeah, kid's still got a lot of time

i am actually all of sixteen years old so it's not really that as much as it is like, she's already talked in interviews about how she was amazed while recording clean that her music could sound so big, and that she wanted to play into that more.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

landgrabber posted:

i am actually all of sixteen years old
:eyepop:

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i got online when i was too young, maybe when the internet was still like 30% web 1.0 so forums aren't that strange to me, is how i ended up here

Nahoj
Nov 14, 2014
Snail mail and soccer mommy are pretty similar to me. I think soccer mommy has a few songs I like more than anything by snail mail (your dog and cool come to mind), but Lush by Snail Mail is an overall better album imo. There’s a lot of songs on Clean that I end up skipping, but the ones I don’t skip I think are absolutely fantastic

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Minus the Bear are doing a farewell tour

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Henchman of Santa posted:

hopefully they'll take portugal. the man out with them so we can be rid of two boring indie bands that i keep mixing up

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

As much as I want to be upset about them saying goodbye, their last three albums have been hugely inconsistent, IMO. I didn't like much of anything on Voids, Infinity Overhead and Omni are weird - Omni is a huge mixed bag but somehow ends with Fooled by the Night which is loving incredible and Infinity Overhead didn't have more than maybe two songs I can immediately recall in my head.

I don't know if they needed better producers or better decision making or what, because the stuff on Lost Loves is fantastic and I'm always just like ":psyduck: why weren't these released, this track is way loving better than [insert weak song from any of their last few albums]"

(i know songwriting doesn't exactly work that way, but still)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Thom and the Heads posted:

hopefully they'll take portugal. the man out with them so we can be rid of two boring indie bands that i keep mixing up

You must have missed Portugal the Man having their "Float On" moment in 2017 and becoming a festival headliner for the next five years

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

have y'all heard of monica laplante

https://youtu.be/Gxuft82uwuM

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

You must have missed Portugal the Man having their "Float On" moment in 2017 and becoming a festival headliner for the next five years

feel it still is like the most milquetoast song ive ever heard and it really astounds the gently caress out of me that it's getting TONS of mainstream radio play even now.

the awful forced falsetto...i feel it still.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

feel it still is like the most milquetoast song ive ever heard and it really astounds the gently caress out of me that it's getting TONS of mainstream radio play even now.

I agree, at least Float On was a certified bop

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

it’s real catchy

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Man, I'm gutted :smith:

I got into Minus the Bear in like late 2005 with Menos el Oso and I’ve been in love ever since. I discovered them soon after Hurricane Katrina/coming back to New Orleans in the aftermath, so it was a very strange time for me and Minus the Bear was a nice escape from everything. Hearing that they're breaking up really sucks.

At least they're putting out one last release before then. Title track's here:
https://soundcloud.com/suicide-squeeze-records/fair-enough

I really wasn't a fan of Voids, but everything else they've put out has been memorable for me. Infinity Overhead, while I wasn't jazzed about it when it first came out, grew on me a LOT. Diamond Lightning is so loving good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du14ncYD5-M

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

HorseRenoir posted:

If this is what I saw at the David Lynch film festival it sucks dick.

I hope it’s different

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It sucks rear end and I’m sick of it

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Apologies if this is mod sass but people have been saying a song they like is A Bop lately and that is some Extremely Online poo poo that people who have never danced in their lives say.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Apologies if this is mod sass but people have been saying a song they like is A Bop lately and that is some Extremely Online poo poo that people who have never danced in their lives say.

this is the whitest thing ive ever read

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I was the very online guy all along.

Have you guys heard the new chance the rapper song?? Its a real bop!!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

thrilla in vanilla posted:

As God Emperor of this forum I demand you listen to more bops

Also it's literally an internet forum, everything is Extremely Online.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Listen to Dirty Projectors - Dance For You

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Good soup! posted:

As much as I want to be upset about them saying goodbye, their last three albums have been hugely inconsistent, IMO. I didn't like much of anything on Voids, Infinity Overhead and Omni are weird - Omni is a huge mixed bag but somehow ends with Fooled by the Night which is loving incredible and Infinity Overhead didn't have more than maybe two songs I can immediately recall in my head.

I don't know if they needed better producers or better decision making or what, because the stuff on Lost Loves is fantastic and I'm always just like ":psyduck: why weren't these released, this track is way loving better than [insert weak song from any of their last few albums]"

(i know songwriting doesn't exactly work that way, but still)

I'm in the same boat as you. Couldn't believe Lost Loves was an album of leftovers. I remember getting ready to go on a trip and buying Omni and The National's High Violet. I was blown away by High Violet and couldn't have been more disappointed in Omni. I haven't bought any of the new albums since Omni but I'm not going to miss the Pittsburgh show, they always put on a good performance.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I’m old and have never heard of most of these bands and I’ll probably never listen to them. The only new album this year I’ve listened to is the Parquet Courts one and it kicks rear end. Farewell.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I’m old and have never heard of most of these bands and I’ll probably never listen to them. The only new album this year I’ve listened to is the Parquet Courts one and it kicks rear end. Farewell.

Why not?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

T Bowl posted:

Why not?

Laziness mostly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahoj
Nov 14, 2014

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The only new album this year I’ve listened to is the Parquet Courts one and it kicks rear end. Farewell.

Honestly biggest album of the year imo