Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

So many iterations of "kill him harder" that are going to go really, really poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Offer to mutate him so that he can solve his problems by chopping up the archwizard, the council, his wife, etc.

"A man without love is like an orchard without cherry blossoms. Yet a man who behaves like a beast, shall never know the pain of being a man."

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Cast dispel magic.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Right, time to reset the vote post discussion.

A - plan murder.
B- plan necromancy.
C - plan heir
D - walk away.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
C - plan heir
Lenore is dead, let's DNA-jack her corpse.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

B - necromancy, though C if we're going to make sure we have some degree of control over the heir.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Splicer posted:

C - plan heir

I like it.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Clenore

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

C. Making something from such unfamiliar materials should pose an interesting challenge.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
C Let's make a princeling.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
also as long as we conserve our supplies we can keep trying again and again and again until we get it right!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

And we accidentally special forces along the way.

Loel posted:

Clenore

I thought Lenore was plan necromancy

You do approval voting?

Too bad.

BC

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Splicer posted:

C - plan heir

Yeah! And can we install duck-like imprinting so the little mutant thinks we're a God?

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

C

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Cowards! Surely the magic can't kill everyone, right? A

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

C

Splicer posted:

C - plan heir

This is morbidly heartwarming.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

B- plan necromancy.
This

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
E Get paid good money to unleash a cursed, unkillable monstrosity on the highest echelons of a kingdom's power.

Edit
I mean, the spell seems like a top priority for any kind of psychopath - "Do what I like, repercussions are for other people.".
That's basically the observation on the Mark of Cain that Lovecraft Country made, that it's basically being white - marked out for monstrous misdeeds and shielded from any repercussions.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 18, 2018

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Yeah, learning this spell and its counter would be huge for future operations.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Clone an heir of the King and raise him with the Beaverpeople in a time bubble.

Using blood magic or dupery, find a way to transfer the Archmage's spell onto the cloned King.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Ambition: Grow an Heir.

”My Lord, I’m sure I can come up with a convincing heir, then you could abdicate and move on to whatever your heart desires.”
”I shall await my saviour with bated breath, I must go now, I hear the Raven approaching.”
”Harkensaw!!!!!” A shrill voice near deafens Sarga before the spell is broken.
”Death may well have been a kindness...” she says more to herself. She returns to the newly constructed common room, there Holta, Seaglass and Irwin were playing some kind of game.
”Holta, Get a shovel. We have work to do.”

The tomb of Lenor D’Bust was a grand thing, a mausoleum paid for by the king. The path up to the summit was lined by statues of weeping angles, and in front of the door was a statue of a man slumped on his knees, his head in his hands, a crown on his head.
”Subtle.” Sneered Holta.
”Greif does strange things to people.” Irwin replied. ”Compared to some of the tombs I’ve seen for lost loved ones, this is downright tasteful… I remember the tomb of the doomed lovers Calio and Roe, now that was a….” He continued, but Sarga was looking at the tomb. The door had a statue of a woman in front of it, no one was supposed to enter this place. It would be simple to topple it.
But.
”..... Ten foot tall golden statues of their faces...”
”Irwin. Check for traps if you would.” Sarga interrupted him.
”Oh, yeah, royal tomb of massive ornateness. I guess the king would have trapped it to stop anyone doing what we’re about to do.” he slung down a pack and pulled out some fancy looking bits of metal, and began waving them at the tomb. He then got some smaller ones and moved up to the door.
”Woo, nasty. There is a nest of flesh ripping beetles under the statue. If you were to topple it to get past, they would sense the fresh air and hatch. Hungry.” he moves down the wall. ”The rest seems to be almost solid marble - magically made, no real craftsmanship. But no weaknesses either.”
”Our best way in?” Sarga asks.
”Hmm. Well, marble is not that hard, and while a magic attack would not work, it might be possible for water to bore a hole through. How much of a sample do you need?”
”I see what you mean, not much - I could get away with a few of the smaller bones.” she brings up Bad tidings and points it at the wall in an unobtrusive place. A stream of water is pulled from the surroundings and forced quickly against the stone. The high pressure quickly begins to drive hole through the stone.
Once that was done, she cast her eyes through the water, the inside of the tomb was as overwrought as the outside,but it did not take long for the floating tendrel of water to find the sarcophagus in the middle and bore a hole into that as well.
Soon Sarga had the fingerbones of the dead Lenor in her hands.
Returning to her lab, Sarga was met by Seaglass, who had returned from her mission to recover a sample from the king.
”It was easy, his guards are lazy because they know nothing can hurt him. I snuck in and stole the hair you wanted.”
”Well done Seaglass, now we can begin!”
You would have thought making a person was hard, but people have been doing that for millenia, it’s one of the easiest things in the world. Most magic users don’t bother though, as people are easy enough to come by, and you never quite know what is going to wake up.
When she had finished the spell, she was faced with some impressive work - the man was tall, built like a hero and had the blond hair of his mother, but the facial features of his father - that was important to sell it.
He was about eighteen years old however, which a bit of an overshoot. The king was in his mid to late twenties and the age discrepancy would take a bit of explaining….

How do we sell this?

quote:

Mana = 400/450 1 Large Manawell 385/1000
Gold = 23,750

Minions -
Seaglass, the Stingray Lieutenant.
Irwin the Stingray Lieutenant.
34 Beaverpeople. (lead by Holta.)
A selection of Bodkin Eels.

At the Sapphire Isle
Valen Haardckla, Supervizor.
2 Mantis-pistol-shrimp man.
4 Crabbersons.
Mining rate - 250 gold a week. (0 crates on hand)

Living quarters - attuned to restore 4 mana a day.
Barracks for 50 people.
Large lab.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Grey Hunter posted:

How do we sell this?
We don't. Stingray him up and try again.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Long-lost brother

e:

Prince of Space posted:

Craft a devious backstory:

The King and Lenore's infant son had been kidnapped by the fae folk and secretly held for ransom in a twilight faerie realm where time moves more quickly.

When the boy turned eighteen, the bindings in the faerie magic could no longer hold him, and he escaped.

Use the piece of elven wood as further "proof" of the boy's backstory, that the child somehow used the magical wood to get back to the real world.

This

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jul 23, 2018

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Craft a devious backstory:

The King and Lenore's infant son had been kidnapped by the fae folk and secretly held for ransom in a twilight faerie realm where time moves more quickly.

When the boy turned eighteen, the bindings in the faerie magic could no longer hold him, and he escaped.

Use the piece of elven wood as further "proof" of the boy's backstory, that the child somehow used the magical wood to get back to the real world.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Oh, just reverse the body's ageing with a bit of blood magic. No need to sell it if we don't have to.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Quote does not equal edit.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jul 23, 2018

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Too many potential points of failure. Babies don't have viable memories, so just use one of any number of dark magic age reduction techniques (human sorcerers are so vain) to get it back to an appropriate age.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
What's in this guy's head right now? Is he a babby with no memories? "Mental age of 24 hours" makes a much harder sell for the fake escape plan or long lost brother.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

What, no taking time to nurture and raise him and feeling sad when our heir leaves the nest?

Also kind of surprised Sarga didn't offer to make an heir the old-fashioned way, make a Shadow Over Innsmouth style heir.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Can we perhaps make a mind reading octopus of some kind? Stick it on the King's head while he sleeps and soak up his dreams because you just KNOW he's living in his own little world there where his life went to plan and the abomination we just made has a name and personality and such. Then stick Psychtopus on Tabula Rasa here and have it inject that stuff into him.

Let the King know we're going to send him something something Make a Wish pity gift from a mysterious benefactor but you can't Raise Dead since that's obviously verboten or he'd have done it already. Tell him to hold court a few days later and do a big reveal with Tabs showing up and being all "It is I father!" or some poo poo like that. Archmage does a magical DNA test, confirm heir-i-tude, dude gets crowned as Prince Whatsit.

Maybe Kingyface is so happy with his new son that he gets out of his funk and pays us a big bonus?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Splicer posted:

What's in this guy's head right now? Is he a babby with no memories? "Mental age of 24 hours" makes a much harder sell for the fake escape plan or long lost brother.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Well we have the right genetic mix now... If at first you don't succeed: Take a sample of the product, blend the rest and use the biomatter for round 2 trials

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

He's a blank at the moment, we'll fill him up with whatever memories we need.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Faerie kingdom should work. It'll explain any human quirks we miss in his backstory. Make sure he gets a good dose of court ettiquite though.

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
Fae Kidnapping sounds like a fun way to sell this, especially if it has the side effect of starting a war. After all, when our little monster takes the throne, he will have (falsified) memories of having been held captive by the Fae.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Kristopher posted:

Fae Kidnapping sounds like a fun way to sell this, especially if it has the side effect of starting a war. After all, when our little monster takes the throne, he will have (falsified) memories of having been held captive by the Fae.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

How good is the memory process going to be? Are we going to end up with a unstable, half-senile ruler running the kingdom into the ground? And is that the point? :chaostrump:

"Folks, we're going to build a Wall of Faithless to keep the Fae out. It'll be such a beautiful wall, the best wall."

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 23, 2018

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Rockopolis posted:

How good is the memory process going to be? Are we going to end up with a unstable, half-senile ruler running the kingdom into the ground? And is that the point? :chaostrump:

Who gives a poo poo; we do the job and then we get paid.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

dont be mean to me posted:

Who gives a poo poo; we do the job and then we get paid.
Yeah, and if they say it sucks, no deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Rockopolis posted:

Yeah, and if they say it sucks, no deal?

The baseline for the client is "I hate everything and want to die.", so, pretty low bar.