Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Nuggan posted:

Yeah, if he wants to be a super dick to people, just have the villain kill Kiri.

There you go. Yeah I was just being a smartass since I know Matt will always take the high road.

I wasn't too attached to Molly and will be curious what the new character will be, but if it had happened to Fjord, Nott or Jester I would have been bummed. Though if it happened to Fjord it would be a travesty if his body didn't disappear in a splash of water and then he washes up on shore somewhere with mild amnesia.

I really like Matt's resurrection rules, but on the other hand if Molly got a difficult lucky resurrection how gun shy would he be about using his class powers and getting into melee from here out? We've already got half the party running and hiding after every action.

I really do like the cast's roleplay moments. Ashly was fine last week, and even early on in the VM campaign Keyleth spends her entire action to stop and stare at Percy after he says something weird (same fight that Tiberius chainsaws a sleeping old lady with his telekinesed krull blade). Nott hanging back in the previous cavern in the fight against the fish people almost got Caleb killed and there were still people arguing there that Matt handed them that encounter by having the enemy provoke fatal attacks of opportunity instead of killing Caleb while he was down. I still haven't seen 80 some episodes so I'm sure there's more.

edit: even when it fails like Tibs' mind flayer diplomacy its still fun to watch. Should I spoiler tag any of this? We've been kind of out in the open about last week's big happening.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

chitoryu12 posted:

I think the studio might actually be burned down if he did that.

Talesin on Talks posted:

"Life's short. Do something to a bagel"

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

bagrada posted:

edit: even when it fails like Tibs' mind flayer diplomacy its still fun to watch. Should I spoiler tag any of this? We've been kind of out in the open about last week's big happening.

That really is proof of how nice a GM Matt is. "Hurp. I'm going to try and use minor illusion to infiltrate a the city of creatures linked into a telepathic hive mind". Any GM I've run under Tib is dinner

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
All caught up and y i k e s

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

chitoryu12 posted:

I think the studio might actually be burned down if he did that.

Yeah but the fire will be caught in glorious high definition!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Honestly the people that are the angriest about Mollymauk getting ripped a new one for good are also the least palatable fans of the show.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Honestly if Molly got resurrected with a new personality again it'd be the best thing that ever happened to his boring rear end

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
It’s clear Talisen was getting frustrated with Molly as well, feeling like he couldn’t do much in combat and risk always outweighs reward. No doubt what led to Matt taking a good hard look at the class recently.

Still, gotta feel for those people devoted enough to this show to get tattoos or poo poo or the cosplayers that spend months putting together a costume for a dead character that isnt coming back.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I would 100% get Molly's tattoos.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I just find it amazing that people who are completely and utterly devoted to a show will shriek and holler when a character they like bites the dust and start accusing the creators of abuse and homophobia, and subsequently deny the intent of said creators after hiding behind the veneer of claiming to be interested in their well-being. What a bunch of loving hypocrites.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Bogan Krkic posted:

Honestly if Molly got resurrected with a new personality again it'd be the best thing that ever happened to his boring rear end

This....

Molly was just so drat boring

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

electricmonk500 posted:

I'm not trying to start poo poo with anyone, and I like Taliesin himself as much as anyone, but Molly was probably my least favorite PC and I'm curious if anyone else agrees. He had some moments here and there, but he didn't really come together as a character for me. If I remember anything, his most consistant trait is that he's the guy who would tell the party to stop what they're doing and continue over beer, so I don't really feel like I have much to miss.

Regardless, that I didn't care for the character, it's much more interesting to have a death like this than anything else that could have happened. I'm probably in the minority, but I would like it more if characters had a real chance of dying throughout the campaign and the opportunity to die in spectacular or meaningful ways without being resurrected. That being said, I'm guessing that the chance of dying will go back to normal 5e levels (that is, very low) once they get their healer back.

I agree with you to an extent. He felt like window dressing most of the time. Then I watched this well timed video put out by DnD Beyond:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh8eih4H-y4

The gist of it (at least what I took from it) is that Taliesin didn't create Moly to be a tank, or a healer, or a blaster or whatever. He's there to be the glue of the party. His skillset lies in being able to take a bunch of gently caress-ups and subversively get them to care about themselves and each other, to become a team. So in retrospect, his death has in some way made him the most successful character because they're certainly unified now!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I thought that Molly was growing on me during the bit after the troll fight, but I thought that he was fun to be drawn as and we just hadn't seen as much of his backstory as:

Jealousy and talks to gods, stabby green mum, former secret police explosion man, frat-boy monk, literally Orlanth worshipping face crusher and Protagonist who is possibly going to be an act 3 villain.

I like all the characters on this, and I am really looking forward to seeing more of where it goes because this death just makes things so much more interesting.

Also Matt, if you are reading this, if you have to do a Tony Jay impression as Molly's mortality I will be absurdly impressed. Yours Sincerely, some weirdo on the internet.

Nuggan posted:

Yeah, if he wants to be a super dick to people, just have the villain kill Kiri.

Sion posted:

All caught up and y i k e s

Pollyanna posted:

Honestly the people that are the angriest about Mollymauk getting ripped a new one for good are also the least palatable fans of the show.

All of these are true. Also should we set up a betting pool on Kiri coming back as a Villain?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Noxin of Shame posted:

The gist of it (at least what I took from it) is that Taliesin didn't create Moly to be a tank, or a healer, or a blaster or whatever. He's there to be the glue of the party. His skillset lies in being able to take a bunch of gently caress-ups and subversively get them to care about themselves and each other, to become a team. So in retrospect, his death has in some way made him the most successful character because they're certainly unified now!

Did you just call Molly the Phil Coulson of the party? Which I don't hate as an analogy.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I liked Molly as a personality and thought he brought a lot of levity to a party that, aside from Jester, was otherwise a bunch of grumpy fucks.

His class was awful though. If killing him is what it takes to get a second healer and a better class in then I'll take it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dawgstar posted:

Did you just call Molly the Phil Coulson of the party? Which I don't hate as an analogy.

Taliesin said he based Molly off of himself in his youth and his friends from the ren fair, club, LARP, and Burning Man circuit. It makes a lot of sense how he played Molly now: he cares a lot for people and tries to get them to be the best they can be, but he's a huge gently caress-up with poor social skills himself and dedicates far too much of his life to having a good time.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

bagrada posted:

Should I spoiler tag any of this? We've been kind of out in the open about last week's big happening.

I don't think there is a set rule yet for tags but I think if people generally tag specific plot stuff until maybe the YouTube video gets released for the episode so everyone who watches across all formats has a chance to catch up. If I've been behind a week or two I'll just avoid the thread once I see discussion start for the episode I haven't caught up on yet.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Xae posted:

That really is proof of how nice a GM Matt is. "Hurp. I'm going to try and use minor illusion to infiltrate a the city of creatures linked into a telepathic hive mind". Any GM I've run under Tib is dinner

I mean real talk, running plans that shouldn't work are the best part of table top roleplaying, GMs should always encourage and roll with them.

CuwiKhons posted:

I liked Molly as a personality and thought he brought a lot of levity to a party that, aside from Jester, was otherwise a bunch of grumpy fucks.

His class was awful though. If killing him is what it takes to get a second healer and a better class in then I'll take it.

Agreed 100%. I just hope hes going to do an upbeat character to keep that dynamic.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

Dawgstar posted:

Hah! If Moly comes back after a couple of chapters, talking about a magical vacation in Tahiti, I'm ok with that.

electricmonk500
May 6, 2007

Noxin of Shame posted:

Saw that video too. I mean, it's cool if that's what he was going for, and I suppose I can accept that Molly was helping the party hold together in more subtle ways, but it didn't really feel like he was all that influential. Maybe his absence will be felt more as time goes on, though of course we'll have his new character to focus on as well. Agreed that his death will unite the party, only in that case a little disappointing that it was more a freak accident than an act of bravery. It's less 'Remember the Alamo!' than it is, 'Well... gently caress.'

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

electricmonk500 posted:

Saw that video too. I mean, it's cool if that's what he was going for, and I suppose I can accept that Molly was helping the party hold together in more subtle ways, but it didn't really feel like he was all that influential. Maybe his absence will be felt more as time goes on, though of course we'll have his new character to focus on as well. Agreed that his death will unite the party, only in that case a little disappointing that it was more a freak accident than an act of bravery. It's less 'Remember the Alamo!' than it is, 'Well... gently caress.'

I think not caring about Molly being replaced will last about as long as it takes before waiting to see Molly's reaction to something and realizing that he's dead, much like real life.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I just caught up after falling behind for a few episodes.

Cliff notes:

- Molly was boring as hell. Him dying was the best thing that could have happened to him so that Taliesin can play a better character. I would be interested for the character to return as amnesiac NPC somewhere down the line though.
- Ashly Burch is awesome - she's a great guest and I love when players behave sub-optimally to RP - and I hate the contingent of the fandom who want to watch a version of Critical Role where the party just steamrolls everything without difficulty and freak out whenever something bad happens. The best episodes of this show are when everything is going wrong and the party is playing by the skin of their teeth (some examples: Scanlan soloing a mansion of enemies, Vex's first death, Percy's first death, Raishan's first fight, Scanlan leaving). I'm glad Ashly is sticking around for the next few episodes.
- I hope Matt continues to ramp up the difficulty in spite of the backlash from the lovely fandom. I'm a big fan of Matt but he does generally take it easy on the party. Even with the increased difficulty of the Iron Shepherds encounter, there is no doubt in my mind that Molly would still be alive if he hadn't knocked his own dumbass out. To emphasize my previous point: I think the show is at its best when the party has to overcome great adversity and their lives are in genuine peril, so I hope we see even more deadly encounters going forward.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Ok, enough about the Molly stuff. We need to talk about what is important.... How the hell is Sam ever going to top that DNDbeyond promo.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Raged posted:

Ok, enough about the Molly stuff. We need to talk about what is important.... How the hell is Sam ever going to top that DNDbeyond promo.

String quartet silently files in behind him, he conducts a thirteen minute overture, stopping about ten minutes in to read a coupon code.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Its going to be a memorial song. Guarantee it.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

Its going to be a memorial song. Guarantee it.

I could see it being a carney limerick

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

electricmonk500 posted:

I think it's kind of a problem with the class when it's possible for the dice to fall in a way that allows a self own in the way that Molly did. Granted, using a blood malediction when you have 4 hit points is basically asking to be killed. Blood Hunter really ought to be a d12 class considering all the self damage they have to inflict on themselves to be effective.

They did some reasonable damage all things considered seeing as how it was basically 3 vs 7 for all the good that Keg and Nott did. Even with the surprise cone of cold if the party was at their full roster that probably would have been a win.

I think a big part of Vox Machina vs Mighty Nein is that MN really only has jester for healing, Vox had Pike, Keylith, and Scanlon all able to toss healing around. If Taliesin rerolled into something burly that could also throw some nominal healing around (like a shapeshifter druid, or some flavor of paladin, or a war domain cleric) I feel like he would gel with the current roster better, at least ability-wise and roleplay not-withstanding.

As much as I hate to say it, if anyone had to die, it was probably for the best that it was Molly.

Edit: A elf or halfling dex-based Oath of the Ancients Paladin with a rapier and shield and leather armor might be fun. It may lean a little hard into being the moral core of this group of scoundrels, but we're kind of hitting a point where it's time for the characters to advance from murder-hobos and become more heroic too. Going full dex would also allow interesting skill choices and the potential of a stealth bastard paladin as well.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 19, 2018

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD
Having seen the episode, I can’t believe people reacted so strongly to Ashly’s rping. It really wouldn’t have changed much had she played normally, I think. Also I’m sad Molly is gone bc he was the gayest character in the party, but accusing the cast of homophobia bc he died is like the furthest reach I’ve seen in a while.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Veks posted:

accusing the cast of homophobia bc he died is like the furthest reach I’ve seen in a while.

100% this. People on the internet are ridiculous. I'm also happy Ashley said she didn't even see the hateful posts toward her, she just heard about it 2nd hand and laughed it off.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Veks posted:

Having seen the episode, I can’t believe people reacted so strongly to Ashly’s rping. It really wouldn’t have changed much had she played normally, I think. Also I’m sad Molly is gone bc he was the gayest character in the party, but accusing the cast of homophobia bc he died is like the furthest reach I’ve seen in a while.

What's your av from, by the way?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I'm rooting for Taliesin to come back with an even gayer character. Not necessarily because he's the only LGBT player,* but because the gay characters are objectively the best. See: Tary.

*that we know of

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Was there anything that explicitly tagged Molly as gay? Because if not, the theme of flamboyant= gay is problematic in and of itself.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pretty sure he was at least bi.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Was there anything that explicitly tagged Molly as gay? Because if not, the theme of flamboyant= gay is problematic in and of itself.

There was the time he had a wonderful night with a tapestry and two prostitutes, one of each gender. So yeah, confirmed bisexual.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

He kicked Fjord out of their room so he could have messy sex with both a male and female prostitute.

Edit: beaten to the punch

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And I think it's more that Tal himself is falmboyant and bi so art imitates life.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I'm excited as gently caress to see his new character.

Rip Mollymauk, though. Hopefully he learned not to build his combat strategy around his dump stat.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

His new character will be Maukmolly Tealeaf the tiefling blood hunter. In his twin brother's honor, please just call him Molly as well. His brother also sent him detailed letters with info about all of them, so no need for awkward introductions or that getting to know you period. It will be like Mollymauk never died.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

There was the time he had a wonderful night with a tapestry and two prostitutes, one of each gender. So yeah, confirmed bisexual.

Molly also takes about five minutes before he starts flirting with Smythe the dwarf and when Beau tells him not to kiss her in the Huperdook tavern he says "Whatever team you're on, I'm not on it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Gonna miss Molly. It'd hard for me to deny he wasn't the most engaging character but something about him just resonated with me. I think he just reminds me of some friends who are normally the quiet members of a group but every so often bang out some amazing moment that cements them as The One everyone wants one-on-one time with.