Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Let's get it out of the way. No way is it a new Xbox system.

It could be some sort of streaming device but most likely controllers and the keyboard mouse stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They know people will pay 500 every 30 months and 120 per year in service with an unlimited budget for new vanity controllers

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Maybe the rumored new Ayylite controller. Now even more overpriced.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Ah, seems to be "bundle & accessory news"

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/1019636388130578432

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Madden bundle lol

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Microsoft going to release an official xim device

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'm so happy the Madden isn't anywhere near as relevant as it once was, due to EA buying the NFL license and killing Sega's 2K series.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Madden series sucks so much. :( I miss when there was actual competition in the NFL space.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Madden is really pro consumer because you only need to buy it once a console gen if you like video game football and your NCAA 14 machine redringed.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I enjoyed playing their dumb F2P card mode last year but in an act of supreme self-sacrifice the :hawksin: imploded to make it so I wouldn't buy 19'

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

At least Madden 19 is going to be on PC. I may actually buy it against my better judgement to support that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do they even have any kind of anti cheat? Can't wait to see the tweets about PC players whose receivers run at 90 mph and 900 pound linebackers who can't be moved.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Does Microsoft even a profit from the Xbox division?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Cojawfee posted:

Do they even have any kind of anti cheat? Can't wait to see the tweets about PC players whose receivers run at 90 mph and 900 pound linebackers who can't be moved.
they probably should, since they are trying to get you to buy good players for real money (:laugh:)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I said come in! posted:

At least Madden 19 is going to be on PC. I may actually buy it against my better judgement to support that.

Pirate it. Ea wants you to or they wouldnt port it

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

They won't say so that's a hard no

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

You see, engagement is up quarter on quarter...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The last time any reliable numbers were revealed put the Xbox One at 29 million units sold and that was back in 2016.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

^^^
Check again the last xbox figures from ms were in 2014 "approaching 10 million shipped"
A couple third party guesstimates have come out since then. 35mm last year from like ubisoft and 29mm this year from EA

They move it around in the financials to obfuscate. I think the sales of surface go into the same figures as xbox and they report everything based on users rather than money where they can

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 18, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

As far as their earnings say, yes. In terms of revenue, not profit, its like 11% of their business now or something. Whether the Xbox proper, rather than the division, makes money isnt clear

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
idk seems pretty clear to me what's going on when a console division refuses to discuss any numbers besides how many Orcs were slain by XBL users for 4+ years straight.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Barudak posted:

As far as their earnings say, yes. In terms of revenue, not profit, its like 11% of their business now or something. Whether the Xbox proper, rather than the division, makes money isnt clear

The Xbox division would need a lot of weird things under its umbrella to even be as much as 11% of their business. Windows and Office are ridiculously huge, as are Azure, Office 365 and its Server offerings. The reach and scale of Xbox are loving tiny compared to them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

univbee posted:

The Xbox division would need a lot of weird things under its umbrella to even be as much as 11% of their business. Windows and Office are ridiculously huge, as are Azure, Office 365 and its Server offerings. The reach and scale of Xbox are loving tiny compared to them.

http://www.visualcapitalist.com/chart-5-tech-giants-make-billions/

As of 2017 it was 11% of the business and I know Ive seen another version of this chart for I think Q1 2018 with the same 11% being Xbox.

As of latest earnings report the divisions revenue was up an additional 8% which was attributed to the X so its also growing as per their hidden internals.

Cloud Services grew like 100% same period though so.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
A whole bunch of poo poo from elsewhere in the company has been moved in and out of the Xbox program for years. At one point they had phones in there.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Android patent revenue was a big thing for many years, keeping the division afloat.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I've just heard some people saying that Microsoft may just walk out of the gaming hardware business. But if the Xbox hardware is successful than why would they?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 19, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

punk rebel ecks posted:

I've just heard some people saying that Microsoft may just wait the gaming hardware business. But if it successful than why?

Care to rewrite that as something that makes sense?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

I've just heard some people saying that Microsoft may just walk out of the gaming hardware business. But if the Xbox hardware is successful than why would they?

They just announced new consoles (plural) in the works at e3 so they arent leaving soon.

8 months after the last 500 dolla one they already pumping up the faithful for the next. Its a great ad campaign for pc.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

The hardware is probably weak revenue to a company with 29 billion a quarter so they dont trumpet it as much especially when so far behind the competitor. The money is in services specifically Gold and possibly gamepass so until microsoft can transition all those to PC expect them to keep making Boxes to get you to subscribe

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Barudak posted:

The hardware is probably weak revenue to a company with 29 billion a quarter so they dont trumpet it as much especially when so far behind the competitor. The money is in services specifically Gold and possibly gamepass so until microsoft can transition all those to PC expect them to keep making Boxes to get you to subscribe

And literally no one is going to pay for XBL Gold to play PC games online so hello X86Box forever

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

They just announced new consoles (plural) in the works at e3 so they arent leaving soon.

Wait WHAT!?!?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Phil said the hardware team is already deep in the process of development on the next xbox consoles

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For honor is a weirdddd game

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The word he used was "architecting."
I think 2020 with a reveal video featuring todd howard at e32019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

People have been saying this since the original Xbox.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Real hurthling! posted:

Phil said the hardware team is already deep in the process of development on the next xbox consoles

Not to mention they purchased a whole bunch of game studios to put exclusives on them. I think Microsoft will have a much better showing when next gen comes around but I can't see them beating a Playstation 5 unless history repeats and there's another PS3-esque pricing fiasco, where the PS3 ended up $200 more than the entry-level Xbox 360.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Fanatic posted:

Not to mention they purchased a whole bunch of game studios to put exclusives on them. I think Microsoft will have a much better showing when next gen comes around but I can't see them beating a Playstation 5 unless history repeats and there's another PS3-esque pricing fiasco, where the PS3 ended up $200 more than the entry-level Xbox 360.

I could absolutely see Sony getting cocky and greedy after running the table like after PS2

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sony could sell more next gen with a turd in a box as long as it played a real exclusive.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Sony could sell more next gen with a turd in a box as long as it played a real exclusive.

Knack 3 baybeeeeeee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

I could absolutely see Sony getting cocky and greedy after running the table like after PS2

Sony made a bad combination of mistakes with the PS3 and its launch messaging was heavily marred by greed. Weirdly if they launched it without PS2 BC that might have been enough since it would have shaved $100 off launch unit prices. The $299 360 was pretty useless as-is due to no storage, and you also needed $50/year XBL Gold, so it wasn’t really cheaper overall but it was cheaper to get the base unit so that was enough. At least the PS3 helped Sony win a format war for once.