Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Do i suck at octopath or do you need to use a ton of items to keep your health and sp restored? Im fairly early in but it seems really hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Your Computer posted:

my PS4 is fat and unprofessional unfortunately

got a guide or anything for it? I should give it a try!

I can't find the exact video I used, but searching YouTube for "how to dust PS4" brings up a bunch of results.

Be sure to have something to hold screws in, and something to pry those weird plastic sticker things. What a pain in the rear end.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Real hurthling! posted:

Me too but now i got a pc and the cool crime of stealing is like drugs and blowjobs at the same time. Mindblowing with high virus risk that is.

I used to be all about building pcs and whatnot but now I only pc game for The Sims and the random moments I decide to get obsessed with WoW.

Console casual life owns \m/

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

Do i suck at octopath or do you need to use a ton of items to keep your health and sp restored? Im fairly early in but it seems really hard.

I didn't have that problem but I started with Tressa, who can heal herself and recover SP for free. :getin:

Try using your BP more to make sure you're using your SP efficiently.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What the heck is Thumper? It's named after a rabbit but the cover has some kinda evil sci-fi clown on it?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

KingSlime posted:

Stealing? The main reason PC is so good is because oh poo poo actual good framerates and modding!

Playing dark souls 3 at a full 60 fps feels soooo good, as does fixing lovely Bethesda games and turning them into fairly enjoyable experiences

Yeah now imagine you played it free like a boss with a trojan bitcoin miner problem

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Get yourself a healer? :v:

Also seconding using BP efficiently. If you're casting out spells and abilities without boosting them you're essentially just wasting SP.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Guy Goodbody posted:

What the heck is Thumper? It's named after a rabbit but the cover has some kinda evil sci-fi clown on it?

Psychedelic rhythm game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Guy Goodbody posted:

A demonic rhythm game from hell.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kvlt! posted:

Get the woodsman or the cleric they have healing. You shouldnt really be running out of sp too often if you use the characters that gain it back passively, can steal it, or share it with others

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

How do I go about utilizing BP properly? Right now i use normal spells/attacks and then once the enemies shields break i use all the BP to hit them with some heavy damage

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Your Computer posted:

Also seconding using BP efficiently. If you're casting out spells and abilities without boosting them you're essentially just wasting SP.

I use unboosted abilities all the time to break shields, because it seems like boosting them doesn’t help nearly as much as it does later when attacking a broken enemy. Is my analysis here incorrect?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

I use unboosted abilities all the time to break shields, because it seems like boosting them doesn’t help nearly as much as it does later when attacking a broken enemy. Is my analysis here incorrect?

No you good, but dont waste sp doing piss damage until that big hit characters usually have other things they can do if they arent chipping away at enemy weaknesses like buff/debuff etc that cost way less than a spell

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 19, 2018

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's a rhythm game. I like playing it in VR with headphones because it feels like it's physically attacking you when you play it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

How do I go about utilizing BP properly? Right now i use normal spells/attacks and then once the enemies shields break i use all the BP to hit them with some heavy damage
That's the basic idea. Also keep in mind that defending is super useful in this game since you'll gain a boost point and act earlier in the next turn, which can mean getting a fully boosted ability instead of a half boosted one.

Subjunctive posted:

Obviously some of them are good for breaking shields (multi-hitting, elemental, AoE) so you'll be using those, yeah. I just mean you don't want to either 1) use single-hit moves on a shielded enemy or 2) use non-boosted special attacks on a broken enemy. You should strive to get fully boosted attacks once the enemy is broken, that way you'll do the most damage and use your SP the most efficiently.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

The Bloop posted:

All the posts like this make me want to play dark souls even though I was never really interested before

If Hollow Knight is Metroid then Dark Souls is Metroid Prime (but with less jumping).

I was slow to get into Dark Souls, but then at some point, I decided to try DS3 and discovered "Wait a minute! This is spooky Zelda." Beyond the dismal atmosphere, the main feeling the game offers is dread mixed with determination. Which means that unlocking new paths and shortcuts brings with it a high of relief that few other games can match. Combat is more lethal than Zelda or any Metroidvania (which is to say that even low level enemies are more on par with your character's lethality). Which is kind of like Mario, I guess. But Mario is about flow and moving quickly through an environment, while Dark Souls is about moving slowly and carefully and looking and listening for ambushes.

Trying to explain Dark Souls in terms of Nintendo is weird.

The character progression system is really, really opaque, so if you can find some spoiler free guides that explain where to put your stats, it will help a lot.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It’s hard to spend full price on Switch games when you’re used to super cheap steam games.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

GreenNight posted:

It’s hard to spend full price on Switch games when you’re used to super cheap steam games.

Buy the steam games on a cc with reward points use the reward points to buy eshop credit

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’ve been saying for a while that PS4 + Switch is my favorite combo ever. It’s all I need. It’s a vidya game dream come true.

Not empty quoting this

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Real hurthling! posted:

Buy the steam games on a cc with reward points use the reward points to buy eshop credit

And use Raise to buy eShop credit at ~10% off

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I used to be all about building pcs and whatnot but now I only pc game for The Sims and the random moments I decide to get obsessed with WoW.

Console casual life owns \m/

PCs are just Super Consoles.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

PCs are just Super Consoles.

It's more that modern consoles are just bad PCs in fancy cases

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

you shouldn’t be allowed to post in this thread and say stuff like that.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

b_d posted:

you shouldn’t be allowed to post in this thread and say stuff like that.

Obviously I don't count the Switch, which is possibly the best thing ever invented :colbert:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Your Computer posted:

It's more that modern consoles are just bad PCs in fancy cases

A little of both to be fair. I remember in the early 2000s, PC and console games were distinctly different. But thanks to the easy of porting and ballooning budgets, they all get the same games now. Gone are the days of cutting edge games designed around the most high end PC hardware like Battlefield 1942 and Crysis. Or when console titles would rarely appear on PC.

Not saying that these things were good, just that being a "PC Gamer" isn't that much of a difference than being a "Console Gamer". While fifteen years ago, there was quite a difference.

Your Computer posted:

Obviously I don't count the Switch, which is possibly the best thing ever invented :colbert:

The Switch is a bad tablet in a fancy case. :regd13:

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 19, 2018

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

My younger brother is really into PC gaming (I was big into it until about 2008) and all he does is complain about the price of graphics cards because of bitcoin. Meanwhile I'm here playing God of War and Horizon, two of the best looking games I've ever seen, on a €300 machine. poo poo's crazy :piss: !

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
pc gaming evangelism has definitely dropped off a cliff lately between the curation issues of steam and the unholy idiocy of bitcoin

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Graphic card prices have (recently) gone back to normal.

Oxxidation posted:

pc gaming evangelism has definitely dropped off a cliff lately between the curation issues of steam and the unholy idiocy of bitcoin

Nah, PC gamibg is still the poo poo.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

My Switch (lol) to all Apple products for phone/computing/tv came at the exact moment I started to realize I liked console gaming more than pc gaming so it all worked out well for me.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Your Computer posted:

Correct. The Switch isn't a PC, it's a mobile phone.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

American McGay posted:

Psychedelic rhythm game.

oh well

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

American McGay posted:

If the eshop is anything to go by.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I beat Captain Toad. Even if you've already played it on the Wii, it's almost worth buying again just for the Dinosaur Island minecart level. It's lovely

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

American McGay posted:

how do I download the phone app, I need to call Nintendo and congratulate them on making the best console

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's nice to be able to see mario enemies just chillin in these little diorama worlds. I almost didn't want to kill these goombas because they looked like they were having a good time floating in their little rings.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Here's a tip for you Capped 'n' Towed players. If you spin the analog stick, Campin' Ted will spin around, get dizzy, and fall over. But! That is also an attack move and will defeat enemies that are struck by Ted's rucksack.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I see that Nintendo's designers have ridden on public transit full of schoolchildren.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Policenaut posted:

It's a rhythm game. I like playing it in VR with headphones because it feels like it's physically attacking you when you play it.

I can imagine. Great Switch game though

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
captain toad gets money, gets women, gets his loving nap on in the middle of a train heist. he's the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

KingSlime posted:

drat, really? What puts it up there so highly in your opinion?

Say I already played bloodborne and persona 5 and have a solid rig that can handle all multiplat just fine, plus my switch of course. Should I still get a pro? I'm looking for an excuse because it would be my second one (I sold my slim once i powered through persona and played my fill of bb)

I love my PS4 but it really depends on if you want the exclusives or. HZD, Dad of War, the entire Yakuza series etc. if those games don’t appeal and you have a pc for multiplat then maybe no. I don’t game on my laptop so for me switch & PS4 cover a lot of ground.

• Locked thread