Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

business hammocks posted:

I always remember when Kate Beaton registered here and was happy to find friendly dorks to talk about weird history with, then started getting people asking her to date them, then got people posting their fantasy dates with her, then didn’t post any more. I think it was like a week from beginning to end.

Do you have a link to the thread(s) where this happened? That sounds horrible and I have to know all of it immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Remember the Maremma sheepdog lady? That was astounding.

Aha here it is. Gassed of course.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3090725

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Anyone remember the guy who started up a thread detailing how he was paid via craigslist to travel the US and mutilate people (as in they paid him to come over and mutilate them)? I remember one of the stories involved burning 30 something little holes into a guy. I thought it was all nonsense but the goon popped up in a rhythm game forum a friend was on and said the same stuff only more extreme and was able to convince them he was telling the truth. I'm blanking on the username which might be a blessing if he was legit.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hbomberguy posted:

Do you have a link to the thread(s) where this happened? That sounds horrible and I have to know all of it immediately

Here’s a joke thread about it from around the same time that might have some of the original.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2899391

Apparently Warren Ellis also stopped by LF at some point and got dogpiled by people wanting him to be their cool friend (clues about that are also in the linked thread).

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Hbomberguy posted:

The story that is badly-explained the worst imo is Doobie's Doghouse. It somehow has its own wiki but the wiki fails to really relate just how ridiculous that entire story was from beginning to end, the spell that seemed to be cast on hundreds of goons as they good-naturedly poured money into helping a man destroy a building trying to make it into a restaurant.

The problem is Doobie's started to come to a head about as GBS poo poo all over itself, so a bunch of it got obscured under giant unfunny FYAD rambling and edgy white noise posting.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The Doobie wiki has some quotes from goons as the saga was unfolding and boy are they great. Goons helping a clueless racist start a business because no one eats hot dogs unironically anymore.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Didn't someone cancel Christmas and gave all their money to the guy?

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Leal posted:

Didn't someone cancel Christmas and gave all their money to the guy?
DragonReach ghost claimed the following:

DragonReach Ghost posted:

My son and wife agreed to forgo their xmas gifts for this, they thought it was worth more to do something for someone than to get something.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571910&pagenumber=28&perpage=40#post419923362

and sometime later claimed to have donated an extra $500, bringing his total donation to $1000.

Edit: that link is also around the point in the sincere thread where the goons start to convince themselves that donating to this dude's hot dog stand is saving Alabama one Kickstarter at a time.

Edit Edit: the Milkshake Duck moment https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571910&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=66#post420829895

FoldableHuman fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 19, 2018

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Could donate to me instead

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

AriadneThread posted:

don't forget the denouement where this exact story started circling on the forums a couple years later and embarrassed goons started constantly contacting her to apologize on behalf of SA to the point where she felt compelled to make a statement about it telling people to let it go already

It's a wonder anybody who's accomplished anything creatively sticks around these parts.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SA did also fund some successful microloans for farmers in Afghanistan and specifically helped a program to give farmers honeybees to help with pollination.

I don’t know what made those work. Maybe it was because the farmers weren’t on facebook and didn’t have a twitter and the money was going to a competent ngo.

After the us election in 2016 a bunch of people donated to RAINN as well.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Baka-nin posted:

Well maybe if he had said that in the first place I wouldn't have been confused. But then again he was also complaining that the Japanese have more than one way to say yes, and then also complained about all the e-mails about mistakes made in the last one. Honestly I stopped watching twenty minutes in, it wasn't very enjoyable listening to him sniping at his own fan base and the jokes seemed a lot flatter than in his Trek ones.

Also the dub I watched was fine, it wasn't spectacular or anything but the plot was explained ok, the conversation dialogue sounded like conversations and not random lines that just don't work in English, and I don't remember any of the voices being super annoying or obviously mismatched to the characters. Perfectly workable, if the series dub is better than that's great, but I've already seen the highlights, so I'm just going to take your word for it.

If it really is that rare now than that's a shame, but that's market economics I guess.
Anyways, it doesn't matter. Unless he decides to watch the Zeta Gundam movies later he's got a wealth of English dubbed content to work with.

Out of curiosity, is Bright Noa British in your dubbed film?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 19, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SA did also fund some successful microloans for farmers in Afghanistan and specifically helped a program to give farmers honeybees to help with pollination.

I don’t know what made those work. Maybe it was because the farmers weren’t on facebook and didn’t have a twitter and the money was going to a competent ngo.

tbf I'd bet it mainly went smoothly just because microloans were designed to get the money to the people as rapidly as possible because the faster they can get Random Farmer in Afghanistan his check the faster they can start charging interest that piles up until he kills himself.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

tbf I'd bet it mainly went smoothly just because microloans were designed to get the money to the people as rapidly as possible because the faster they can get Random Farmer in Afghanistan his check the faster they can start charging interest that piles up until he kills himself.

I agree that we live in hell, but I think at the time at least the recipients could default without penalty and the idea for investors was that they wouldn’t miss their $50 or whatever and were fine with just losing it. But who know, maybe the whole thing was an exercise in usurious gangsterism and the taliban burned alive everyone involved after locking them up in a big cage.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Hey, once everyone came together to raise 70k for the Japanese Tsunami Relief fund, but I think that one was mostly out of spite.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I agree that we live in hell, but I think at the time at least the recipients could default without penalty and the idea for investors was that they wouldn’t miss their $50 or whatever and were fine with just losing it. But who know, maybe the whole thing was an exercise in usurious gangsterism and the taliban burned alive everyone involved after locking them up in a big cage.

I don't know the specific company and all but yea 'microloan suicide' was a genuine epidemic in south asia because shockingly enough these investors absolutely do value 50 bucks over human life and tons of genuinely well meaning people got snookered by vultures who used that money to send like, hourly collection 'updates' to rando farmers threatening their poo poo and all.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

RAINN donations were during, unless you mean a big boost after the results.

And I think any successful goon donation drive is based on spite, RAINN specifically to spite Trump. A lot of donations were made in his honor or whatever. :v:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The jack torrance stuff nightmind is doing is dumb, especially since he's complained about that so much in the past.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Kim Justice posted:

YouTuber mostly known for fluff makes video series good enough to get a One Perfect Shot write-up:

https://twitter.com/OnePerfectShot/status/1019585081957068800

Well, at least one person came out of the TanaCon disaster as a winner. Shane Dawson is suddenly the biggest thing on the whole of YouTube again.

The only unique thing about Tanacon (and fyre festival, and Dashcon) was that their poor planning was combined with large attendance (or semi-large for Dashcon); the convention world is full of slapdash conventions started over some combination of spite and greed. I mean, even the good cons have started that way - sci-fi media cons grew out of sci-fi literature cons looking down their nose at them, and anime cons the same out of sci-fi media cons.

Reasons that some cons have started that I know of:

- There was a "children of the corn" con that decided adults were mean and had too many rules (specifically with the cosplay contest not letting them go on stage for as long as they want, have microphones etc.); their staff requirements had a maximum age of like 19 or something. (ran once, three years postponed, shut down, thanked everyone for "four years of a great con")
- Guy didn't win a cosplay award at one con, starts his own con with a "grand prize" (yes, you can win a convention apparently) that was basically a rewrite of his angry screed of why he thought he should have won (never happened)
- Vendor tried to surreptitiously buy all the vendor booths at a con (yay monopoly); was instead banned and started his own con that tried to run two weeks before this other con (I think this one is still running)
- Cosplayer was supposed to be a guest at one con, but then removed because he had made up his bio; he started his own con to run against the one that removed him as a guest (ran for a couple years)
- Standard staff schisms; guy X gets removed or banned from staff, starts his own con (numerous)
- Bunch of teenage girls on staff of one con are convinced by creepy older dude that the rest of staff is conspiring against them, nearly cause Jerry Springer brawl at staff meeting; start their own con (ran twice).

The whole "OMG 20somethings are trying to start a con" isn't that unusual; what's unusual now is back when the teens/20somethings were starting the cons that are huge now, but back then most of the interests were non-mainstream and they got to cut their teeth on maybe a few hundred attendees. Several anime cons that I know of were born out of college anime clubs, and some of those cons now have tens of thousands of attendees now, but only hundreds when they started. We're going to see more fiasco cons now because cons can be a cash cow and overnight mega-popularity means events are going to start with thousands of people showing up instead of hundreds.

As someone who has staffed cons for more than a decade nothing in this video is really shocking, unfortunately, and trying to pin this on some weird conspiracy or some bad intent unique to Tanacon is silly. I've been to several cons that, had as many people showed up as they planned, would have turned into Tanacon as well. Everyone clearly got in over their head and is lying to try and blame someone else. I'm suspicious of that one guy's estimated budget for the entire con, however; booking an entire weekend at a hotel with that capacity shouldn't cost nearly that much, even if the event didn't have the rooms booked as part of a room block.

And big corporate events love to oversell their venue and hope enough people won't be there at the same time. Hell, I've seen big corporate events continue to sell new tickets while a line forms around the block for re-entry and they continue to thrive to this day.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

FoldableHuman posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571910&pagenumber=28&perpage=40#post419923362

and sometime later claimed to have donated an extra $500, bringing his total donation to $1000.

Edit: that link is also around the point in the sincere thread where the goons start to convince themselves that donating to this dude's hot dog stand is saving Alabama one Kickstarter at a time.

Edit Edit: the Milkshake Duck moment https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571910&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=66#post420829895

When you write that up, don't forget to quote the original post that started the whole donation train:

Noni posted:

I think we've all been there, jobless with nothing but a bucket of hotdogs, a block of processed cheese, a van, an American flag, and a goddamn dream.

Or at least that was my initial impression. Since the campaign started, the guy has actually built his kitchen (look at the updates!), done some hotdog catering, set up his entire supply chain, and he appears to have his budget planned very well, albeit with the help of "How to Start a Hotdog Cart" eBooks. He's got a dream, man, and none of us and not even the devil himself is going to be able to stop him. Unlike a lot of crappy Kickstarters, I believe this is going to happen with or without our funding. This guy is Forrest Gump and his shrimping boat/hotdog stand might as well be built right next to the Field of Dreams. I don't mean to imply that he's an idiot, but that I admire his blind confidence and hotdog faith.

I come from Hipsterville where we only eat hotdogs ironically, as a joke, so that other people can look at us and say "Haha. That's hilarious. Let me take an Instagram of that. Imagine if you ate hotdogs and actually liked them." So this campaign touches me in ways both mystical and nostalgic. It makes me yearn for the days when I could eat bad food unironically and wear plaid because it's warm and because lumberjacks are cool, not because I'm trying to convey some dumb hidden message. Every time you eat a hotdog, you get to become a kid again for two minutes.

The hotdogs are hilarious, but I genuinely hate it when people get flak for "trying too hard." We badly need more people who try too hard. It's the most foolish insult to say, "I dislike you because I dislike effort." We are a generation of people who were told their entire lives by nurturing, caring, hippie parents they we are all geniuses. Every boy a wonderboy. Every child above average. But rare is a parent who doesn't care about test scores and IQs, but instead praises their kid only for trying and failing. Effort, man. Effort. That matters so much more than innate intelligence, than knowledge, than wit. You should try to do new things even when (hell, especially when) you think you will fail. This man is trying hard, with all his might, for an aspiration that isn't even lofty. It's humble man wanting for a reachable goal involving the most meager of foods in the tiniest of towns in the poorest of states.

Yeah, I'll be damned if I'm going to dislike a guy for trying too hard. It's apparent that he has turned to crowdfunding only because he has already put every spare dollar he owns into this business. I might not believe in the superior deliciousness of Doobie's hotdogs, but I want to believe in them. And I would eat one.

Another thing is that this appears to be a very small town where the median household income is 20 grand and the most prominent restaurant is a Subway. A hotdog stand, of all things, could affect real change there. It's a good story: The unfeeling internet hordes pulling together to fund a rural hotdog stand in Reform, Alabama. That is something I want to be part of. "Doobie's Dog House" is a name worthy of headlines. I want confused journalists to try to figure out what the gently caress happened, why it happened, and how they can possibly convey the idea of crowdfunding to their readers. It'll be like when CNN tries to explain memes. At the very least, this has the potential to make an entire town wonder about Something Awful. Someday, I would like to drive to Doobie's Dog House, eat a hotdog, and think of goons.

To finally answer your question about our motivations, it's definitely the third option. We are good and bad meats processed together and extruded as 6 foot tall tubes, both cynical and kind, complicated and salty. Goons are actual hotdogs. I pledged $25 for both entertainment and charity. If this works and there's a hungry Alabama goon who wants my hotdogs, they can have them. Just please take pictures so it's like a child sponsorship charity, only for meat tubes instead of impoverished children. If the Kickstarter fails, then I will have paid nothing and told a guy that I admire his efforts and his gumption.

That was originally posted to the GBS Kickstarter mock thread that was running at the time after Doobie's campaign was linked in it. It's like a speech from a movie that inspires the neighborhood to rally to save the community center from an evil property developer or something and I can't believe it actually worked.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 19, 2018

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Grapplejack posted:

The jack torrance stuff nightmind is doing is dumb, especially since he's complained about that so much in the past.

I haven't been paying attention. What exactly is going on with it?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
There's been a lot of discussion in this thread about how Mikey needs to do a one hour video with Nyx Fears about the 2017 Power Rangers movie, so now you guys have that Or at least that's what I assume that's what the thread's been about.

Grapplejack posted:

If Night Mind did not absolutely love trash he would not be Night Mind. God speed, you crazy furry youtube horror lover.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

DoubleCakes posted:

I haven't been paying attention. What exactly is going on with it?
He's flown down to Texas to directly participate in an ARG. The one he has chosen is basically just composed of spooky mood pieces that have only the vaguest possible ARG elements.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

There's been a lot of discussion in this thread about how Mikey needs to do a one hour video with Nyx Fears about the 2017 Power Rangers movie, so now you guys have that Or at least that's what I assume that's what the thread's been about.

It was unironically one of my favorite movies last year and I'm super sad they aren't doing a sequel.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The best part of the Doobie saga imo is that he wanted to honor his goon benefactors by painting a giant Get Out frog on his restaraunt and having frog themed hot dogs, which in retrospect was some kind of cosmic foreshadowing

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

FoldableHuman posted:

Best part of the thread is all of the goons making excuses for why it's okay they donated to a racist.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The best part of the Doobie saga imo is that he wanted to honor his goon benefactors by painting a giant Get Out frog on his restaraunt and having frog themed hot dogs, which in retrospect was some kind of cosmic foreshadowing

Like the prophetic fool in a tragedy of Shakespeare’s, Doobie truly gave a double warning that there were no “good froggers.” It’s eerie as hell.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

rudecyrus posted:

Best part of the thread is all of the goons making excuses for why it's okay they donated to a racist.

quote:

Unless I missed him making a comment about something other than black people like chicken, then under this standard I think nearly everyone I know is a racist and should be vilified by an internet forum. Who hasn't made an unfunny racist joke at some point in their life? I'm younger than many of the people here, and having my High School experience be composed of few friends (one of which was the only black guy in our grade who was my friend by virtue of us both being kind of losers) and discovering Eddie Murphy's RAW and Richard Pryor, are any jokes we made to each other in poor taste destined to stain our lives forever?

God drat this forum gets preachy rather fast about either being aware of this horribly racist man or in being above the folly of social justice warriors. He made a comment about a fat black chick liking chicken, a family member mentioned Obamacare- I see an ignorant man but not an ignorant man in a hood.

Also for fucks sake if the guy and his kids wanted to contribute to a Kickstarter for Christmas, that was his choice. I don't feel better than him for not doing so- and the fact that he talked to his kids about the decision is pretty cool in my opinion.

quote:

You forgot: It's racist to make fun of and be disgusted by morbidly obese people by implying that they eat a lot of fried foods if they also happen to be black.

Oobies Otdog Ouse was one of the best things on this forum for real

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

After years of wanting it, I finally found the “YOU HAVE COME TO A WORLD CALLED GOR <whipcrack>” .wav, but there was this amazing autotuned Doobie’s song with Doobie talking about all the dogs he had and I want so badly to find it again. It used to be on youtube with that .gif of Doobie dancing with a vent hood.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
That Shane series on Tanacon was...fine I guess? It starts off well enough but being friends with her maybe (clearly) blinds him to some of her behaviour even though he is quick to tell them both how majorly they hosed up.

Essentially I think that for whatever reason she hired this kid to do the event organising, was fine with it being over-capacity (This also depends if you believe their story that the Marriot told them it could hold more than the 1000 they agreed to) but didn't know about charging for all of those tickets.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

That Shane series on Tanacon was...fine I guess? It starts off well enough but being friends with her maybe (clearly) blinds him to some of her behaviour even though he is quick to tell them both how majorly they hosed up.

Essentially I think that for whatever reason she hired this kid to do the event organising, was fine with it being over-capacity (This also depends if you believe their story that the Marriot told them it could hold more than the 1000 they agreed to) but didn't know about charging for all of those tickets.

's alright. I mean, I think it's pretty good for Shane Dawson (is that damning with faint praise? I don't really mean it to be but a lot of his content is kinda fluff. He does a lot of conspiracy theories n' that which kinda explains some of the angles it takes). I think that the Film School Rejects are giving it perhaps a LEEETTLE too much credit but for something made in the immediate aftermath of the shitshow it's alright. Holy poo poo has it blown up though - each of the three videos has well over 10 million viewers and he's managed a million subs in a month. Shane's been on YouTube basically since the beginning so that's not bad.

Of course I watch basically nothing but YouTube and can only really talk about YouTube so my own standards aren't great.

Speaking of which...who's everyone got for KSI vs Logan Paul next month? :D

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Kim Justice posted:

Speaking of which...who's everyone got for KSI vs Logan Paul next month? :D

Hoping for a sequel to Raging Boll, with KSI and his brother coming out on top.

Unless the whole thing is going to be a joke and/or not played seriously, which is still a possibility.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hbomberguy posted:

As a followup, that thread I linked a few posts ago is the actual thread: thought it had a much slower ramp up to people talking about her feet and soforth. She starts posting on the second page.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

somekindofguy posted:

Hoping for a sequel to Raging Boll, with KSI and his brother coming out on top.

Unless the whole thing is going to be a joke and/or not played seriously, which is still a possibility.

Considering the previous fight with Joe Weller and that it's a YouTube PPV event (yeah seriously) I doubt it but...god imagine the scenes if it turned out to be a blatant work. It would be the ultimate salt mine.

And yes, it's a Pay Per View. You will have to pay $8 to watch this white collar boxing event featuring two amateurs, one of whom has never so much as stepped in a ring, and the other who has done so once. Seems a silly decision for me but people will pressumably pay for it and they're all making millions sooooo

Because I have no credibility however, I'm also going to predict that KSI beats Logan, but also that Jake Paul beats Deji...I mean, come on. I never thought I would see the day when freaking ComedyShortsGamer would be getting into a ring. Like, isn't he kinda scrawny? This is crazy

You could also spend that money monthly on an NJPW World account, which is doubly good right now because the G1 Climax is on

EDIT: Like seriously dude STAHP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdOcSsLCOgk

This is a bad idea, he's overtraining, because of this he's not making gains so he's literally a twig and he's passing out, where are your parents*

(*in most of his vids)

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 20, 2018

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Plus if the appeal of the Paul fights is a clownish, ridiculous spectacle, you can just watch Yano Toru matches and get a better version of that

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I Before E posted:

Plus if the appeal of the Paul fights is a clownish, ridiculous spectacle, you can just watch Yano Toru matches and get a better version of that

I want to see Logan Paul vs Minoru Suzuki in a shootfight

EDIT: Actually scratch that, I want to see Logan Paul vs King Haku in a shoot fight.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

EDIT: Actually scratch that, I want to see Logan Paul vs King Haku in a shoot fight.

I want to see ZSJ cut a promo on Logan Paul, and subsequently bend him into a knot

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

TanaCon wouldn’t have been such a failure if it was dedicated to the Ace of the Universe instead.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

I want both of these, preferably consecutively

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

I want both of these, preferably consecutively

We'll make it a handicap match. Might as well throw Brock in there too.