Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

skooma512 posted:

I also like they weave it into the story later but using the markab gate as a weapon, because it's not being used by anyone by scavengers now. This is far better than having an entire species wiped out and it not having any kind of consequences later.

I'm getting toward mid-season 4 and it's so much better the second time around/now that I'm older. Is season 5 worth watching? I just stopped at Sleeping in Light last time.

It’s honestly not as bad as you remember it being. At least that was what I thought after my first rewatch. And there’s still some good things intertwined in there. And the Centauri Prime stuff is WORTH IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

skooma512 posted:

I also like they weave it into the story later but using the markab gate as a weapon, because it's not being used by anyone by scavengers now. This is far better than having an entire species wiped out and it not having any kind of consequences later.

I'm getting toward mid-season 4 and it's so much better the second time around/now that I'm older. Is season 5 worth watching? I just stopped at Sleeping in Light last time.

Well worth watching. Even at its worst, it's better than most of S1 and there are some really interesting structural things JMS does. Everyone just gets distracted by the dropping number of WHAM episodes or misses the degree to which the whole season is about how being a big-drat-hero doesn't necessarily make you a highly qualified and successful political or administrative leader. If you find Sheridan being a bit humbled and massively in over his head, you might not like those bits much, but you're missing not just great Bester bits but almost all the great G'Kar/Londo double-act scenes as well as a few more great moments for most of the remaining cast.

Just accept that all the cringeworthy telepath cult stuff was deliberately written as cringeworthy and cult-ish; it just has staging, acting, and writing decisions that work against that and make it feel like someone trying to give us a Christ-like hero and failing (and not someone giving us a Christ-like hero and insisting we should be very frightened). Byron isn't quite as bad as the Nightwatch officials we loved to hate earlier in the series, but he's not all that far removed from them, either.

I've watched through four times now and I like S5 better and better with each rewatch.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
S5 is better than people give it credit for, but yeah I just skip the byron scenes. It's easy in a world where you can just fast-forward stuff that isn't working for you personally.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Jedit posted:

There's a not entirely unsubstantiated theory that the Drafa Plague was created or refined by the Shadows. There's evidence that the Markab knew the Shadows were returning before Delenn told anyone about it. It was hubris that got them, but the possibility exists that they were pushed.

I dunno. The Shadows are not just wiping out races for the evulz of it. They don't want the younger races dead, but converted to their way of thinking. Their philosophy is that conflict makes races stronger, conflict is the path to growth. Engineering a disease to completely wipe out a species doesn't really seem like it would make them stronger OR help a neighbour become stronger.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah and it's important that the Shadows aren't evil, per se. I mean there is something to be said for their method of instituting personal growth versus the opaque and order-driven vorlon perspective. Which is the whole point. Killing a bunch of people randomly with no purpose in the greater narrative isn't really that Shadow.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

On the subject of season 5, I envy anyone who has more B5 to watch for the first time.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Pick posted:

Killing a bunch of people randomly with no purpose in the greater narrative isn't really that Shadow.

Only really if they're bored and wanna stir the pot a bit.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

JMS has never exactly hidden the inspiration he took from Lord of the Rings. In the book the struggle does not end with the destruction of the One Ring; nor does the story in B5 end happily as soon as the villain is defeated.

Yeah, I get that it's kinda a LOTR thing, I was wondering if the overly long and unnecessary post-evil segment (just like the Scouring of the Shire is) was intended as such, or the oddness of the shows fate made it required and JMS was just spinning it as a LOTR thing.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jedit posted:

Also the plot didn't end in early S4, only the Shadow War. The Shadow War was always intended to end at the end of S4, with the Earth Civil War and Fall of Centauri Prime arcs being S5.

Source for this because JMS said that S4 was supposed to end with Intersections in Real Time, well into the Earth Civil War arc.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

We all would have been better off without the Lyta/Byron gently caress scene.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Midjack posted:

We all would have been better off without the Lyta/Byron gently caress scene.

jesus that was a weird loving scene

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I dunno. The Shadows are not just wiping out races for the evulz of it. They don't want the younger races dead, but converted to their way of thinking. Their philosophy is that conflict makes races stronger, conflict is the path to growth. Engineering a disease to completely wipe out a species doesn't really seem like it would make them stronger OR help a neighbour become stronger.

The Shadow Wars have been escalating, though. Last time round the Shadows genocided the Narn telepaths; this time both sides have planet-killer fleets. I don't consider it outside the bounds of credibility that a righteous and intellectually rigid race like the Markab - who were never going to convert to the Shadow way of thinking once the Vorlons got their hooks in - could have been targeted for extermination.

Interesting thought: what if Drafa was a Vorlon plague deployed to keep the Markab on side by showing what happened to people who weren't, and the Shadows just reactivated or recreated it a thousand years later?

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Yeah actually, this brings up a good point. The Shadows would have liked them, cause they wiped out the Hyac-do, showing the Hyac were stronger.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

ZRM posted:

Yeah actually, this brings up a good point. The Shadows would have liked them, cause they wiped out the Hyac-do, showing the Hyac were stronger.

Except the Hyach wiping out the Hyach-do is an object lesson in how that kind of thinking is ultimately self-destructive. It's the sort of thing that the Shadows would kick under the rug and never bring up again.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Doctor Zero posted:

It’s honestly not as bad as you remember it being. At least that was what I thought after my first rewatch. And there’s still some good things intertwined in there. And the Centauri Prime stuff is WORTH IT.

I agree. I remembered it very negatively then when I rewatched it was... still not great but there isn't actually that much of it.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

hope and vaseline posted:

jesus that was a weird loving scene

jms posted:

Any special procedures for the scene between Lyta and Byron?
I talked to both actors involved, made sure they were okay with it, and then scripted it out in very detailed form, and shot with a closed set, just necessary crew, nobody else.

(Funny item: in the script, I'm right in the middle of describing the sex scene, and in the narrative description, I write, without even thinking about it, "I wonder which is more embarrassing, reading this or writing it?" It goes out that way.)

Apparently, watching it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Darth Freddy posted:

Strong is a understatement. With all the camera time they gave the little girl you would normally think they were going to save her.

The moment where the girl loses her balance is one of the most heartbreaking moments in TV history. Mira Furlan sells her part beautifully.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
William Edgers in S4E16 used the Russians as example of handing over power willingly to strongmen, in 1917 and 2013.

They arguably did when they allowed Medvedev to hand the Presidency back to Putin, in 2012 :stare:

I know this is total confirmation bias but Russia seems to attract all these weird little predictions. Ghost Recon 1 in 2001 depicted Russians invading South Ossetia in 2008, they ended up doing exactly that.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Jedit posted:

The Shadow Wars have been escalating, though. Last time round the Shadows genocided the Narn telepaths; this time both sides have planet-killer fleets. I don't consider it outside the bounds of credibility that a righteous and intellectually rigid race like the Markab - who were never going to convert to the Shadow way of thinking once the Vorlons got their hooks in - could have been targeted for extermination.

Interesting thought: what if Drafa was a Vorlon plague deployed to keep the Markab on side by showing what happened to people who weren't, and the Shadows just reactivated or recreated it a thousand years later?

Didn't we also have several dead worlds in Crusade that were said to have been wiped out by the Shadows and their minions? Seems like they really didn't have too many issues wiping out whole civilizations.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Burning_Monk posted:

Didn't we also have several dead worlds in Crusade that were said to have been wiped out by the Shadows and their minions? Seems like they really didn't have too many issues wiping out whole civilizations.

Yes. And the Drahk plague in Crusade was itself Shadow technology. I presume that the Shadows would have deployed the plague in a number of situations:
1. Someone else answers "what do you want" not as a "return to glory" but "every last stinking X wiped out" and the Shadows oblige with a plague. That's species specific, 100% contagious and 100% fatal. And takes just enough time to kill everyone that they can cause maximum chaos through their response. (Keep in mind that the Shadows would potentially be OK if a race managed to survive the plague.)
2. Plague a race, then offer them a cure. Instant slaves. One presumes that this approach eventually fell out of favor.
3. Technomages have capacities with nanotech that sounds pretty much exactly like how the Drahk plague works. It's possible that in earlier times, individual technomages were capable of plagues similar to that if they so desired, meaning the Shadows would only be indirectly responsible.

The advantage of the plague over a planet-killer is that the victims have time to respond (and nothing to lose), and that it can't easily be traced back to the Shadows.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Burning_Monk posted:

I thought that was more "Daddy's gone and we're playing with his guns"?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I thought that was more "Daddy's gone and we're playing with his guns"?

That was the former Shadow thralls in the present, like the Drakh using the last Shadow planetkiller and then the plague on Earth. (Presumably some unchained Vorlon allies would've gotten into the mix sooner or later also.) The worlds the Excalibur was researching were victims of previous First Ones war cycles.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

McSpanky posted:

That was the former Shadow thralls in the present, like the Drakh using the last Shadow planetkiller and then the plague on Earth. (Presumably some unchained Vorlon allies would've gotten into the mix sooner or later also.) The worlds the Excalibur was researching were victims of previous First Ones war cycles.

I seem to recall Lorien pointing out that the purpose of the Shadow War cycle had become to perpetuate the cycle itself rather than to decide who was right and who was wrong. It's logical to assume that the two sides would be eliminating any race that did finally choose the other's path. The Minbari would probably have been taken out except for their bottled emotions; Delenn spins the Earth-Minbari War as a tragedy caused by the Minbari being so orderly that they all went mad together, but really they're a chaotic people holding themselves in check with the rigid order of the Vorlons.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The idea of there being physical embodiments/champions of abstract forces such as chaos and order whose conflict embroils the whole galaxy is such an old school cosmic sci fi thing. It's like the guardians of time in Doctor Who, or Marvel's cosmic pantheon, or something that Star Trek would find on some random planet filled with "higher beings".

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
I have a small Crusade story. I'm sort of of the edge of a social group that organised the fan/scifi events in Australia.
Galen was a guest and I was his minder for a bit around the time the lost tales was released.

I talked with him a little bit and told him I thought it was a shame Crusade was cancelled, he didn't seem to care at all and was more interested in talking about the new tech and cgi that made lost tales possible.
Having torrented it a few weeks before and found it disappointing and cheap looking the conversation just tapered off.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I think the weird thing for me about the Shadow War cycle is that while it's portrayed in dialogue as two superpowers manipulating things behind the scenes to try and bring younger races around to their way of thinking, the Shadow Wars seem to be about rallying the troops and driving off the Shadows themselves rather than their proxies.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I think the weird thing for me about the Shadow War cycle is that while it's portrayed in dialogue as two superpowers manipulating things behind the scenes to try and bring younger races around to their way of thinking, the Shadow Wars seem to be about rallying the troops and driving off the Shadows themselves rather than their proxies.

It started out that way but over tens of thousands of years the shadows (and vorlons) started getting more and more direct. The shadows have been the most obvious during the show but the vorlons probably actually started the escalations by tampering with the races physiologically.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Have to wonder... if there really were so many previous cycles of the Shadow Wars, and if most of those past combatants are no longer around, how many times could the cycle have climaxed with the Vorlons and Shadows running around with their planetkillers? How many interstellar civilizations were annihilated, how many times has sapient life had to crawl up from the muck so the ancient assholes could start all over again?

McSpanky posted:

Ah, I never watched Crusade, so I never heard that before.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I do like how the Vorlons were not the obligate good guys, and in fact were fairly evil themselves. It is a nice twist and change of pace for the ancient races to be really two sides of the same coin and the other races are the actual protagonists.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

skooma512 posted:

I do like how the Vorlons were not the obligate good guys, and in fact were fairly evil themselves. It is a nice twist and change of pace for the ancient races to be really two sides of the same coin and the other races are the actual protagonists.

It is extremely cool that they’re equally evil, which is not really as evil as blindly ideological and in need of some perspective checks.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It could've been done badly but yeah, the gradual reveal of the Vorlons being as bad as the Shadows was great. Finding out that oh no, the Vorlons aren't good, it's just Kosh is good and the other Vorlons don't trust him because of it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Kosh IS good.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Kosh 💕

Tyrel Lohr
Mar 1, 2007

No, sir, I don't care for Frungy.
We are all Kosh

(I've had KOSH vanity plates on my cars since like '98 -- no one has ever had a clue what the plates mean though and when I tell them they are even more confused)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Pick posted:

Kosh 💕

We are all Kosh. :swoon:

E:f;b

My ex and I watched Babylon 5 as it aired. (She wasn’t my ex then). I remember when JMS said on Usenet that after we knew what the Shadows are doing 30% of the fan base will probably agree with them. And he was right on. My ex was one. :ohdear:

We were T one point going to get VORLONS and SHADOWS for personalized plates but we couldn’t get Shadows. For the best after all I guess.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 19, 2018

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Ahhh holy poo poo you guys the centauri just beat the narn and londo is stone cold demanding g'kar go to trial. Sheridan looked like he was going to murder londo for yelling at him.

I honestly can't watch anymore tonight but God drat that ending was hard, I think I hate londo.

Edit: "the centauri learned this lesson once. We will teach it to them again." :drat:

Kingtheninja fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 19, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh man. There’s... so much for you. There’s so much in your future

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Ahhh holy poo poo you guys the centauri just beat the narn and londo is stone cold demanding g'kar go to trial. Sheridan looked like he was going to murder londo for yelling at him.

I honestly can't watch anymore tonight but God drat that ending was hard, I think I hate londo.

Edit: "the centauri learned this lesson once. We will teach it to them again." :drat:

You will look back on this experience as the time you definitely thought it couldn't get any better, and then it does.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
If I remember right the "energy mines" the Narn cruisers shoot were also intended to be part of the EarthForce Omega destroyer's loadout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kingtheninja posted:

Also love that poo poo-eating smile on Sheridan's face as he says "I'm afraid that's not possible. :smug:" in response to Londo's demand for G'kar's surrender.