Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

I have a Light fairy with Shine x2, I’m not sure how big the “Magic Barrier” is but that might help??

I would wanna say it could, but after popping double heal, double defense, double reduce defense (against enemies) and STILL having captains retreat from random traitor mooks... I dunno, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you have access to multiple characters, have one of them glued to the character who needs defending and swap back to them periodically. Abuse your foreknowledge of scripted events, and use a high-level weapon to kill everything rapidly.

I recently missed out on a Legend Mode skulltula because I cleared the mission before I was able to trigger the condition.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Bongo Bill posted:

If you have access to multiple characters, have one of them glued to the character who needs defending and swap back to them periodically. Abuse your foreknowledge of scripted events, and use a high-level weapon to kill everything rapidly.

I recently missed out on a Legend Mode skulltula because I cleared the mission before I was able to trigger the condition.

Yeah you also control Sheik in that mission and I had to use her to kill some Lizalfoses who were going after Darunia early on in the mission. I guess I could switch back to Sheik once Ruto leaves the battlefield and take out the rest of them, as long as the Assault Troops are already dead. Doesn’t make those missions any less bad.

Edit: Ruto leaves and then comes back like two minutes later to fight the King Dodongo which is dumb. But I guess the trigger for King Dodongo spawning is opening the door to the enemy base so I could spend some time making sure Darunia is safe before I do that also.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jul 18, 2018

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
"X needs assistance immediately" is easily my least favorite thing about missions, and this game in general.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

seiferguy posted:

"X needs assistance immediately" is easily my least favorite thing about missions, and this game in general.

My least favorite so far is the Imprisoned being summoned, every time.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Pixeltendo posted:

My least favorite so far is the Imprisoned being summoned, every time.

Only if I have to fight it as Fi.

Yeah, you know the mission.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

On the Master Quest map there’s an Imprisoned mission with Fi, and I got a “Girahim is in danger!” Message while fighting the Imprisoned and had to leave the fight to rescue him and then go back.

The worst message is “The Imprisoned, The Imprisoned and The Imprisoned appeared!” in those defeat all enemies missions.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

I've actually figured out a trick for Fi vs. Imprisoned, if for no reason other than that doing it legit would be super super dumb.
1: Stay far enough away that the Imprisoned starts to use the crackling red electricity attack. This attack only hits at range, it doesn't hit up close (even though the area near him is sparking too).
2: Immediately rush up between his legs and use C6. You should have enough time to do it without much trouble, aside from needing to figure out what part of her string are the fifth and sixth hits. This should hit all of his toes at once and probably break them. If not, panic and grind on any you missed very fast.
3: Step out of the way of the imprisoned as it falls, and use C1 to power up, Imprisoned hates Light procs.
4: I think use C6 again once or twice? If I recall, you can do it twice as long as you don't screw up, which is enough to take out most of his bar.

You can also just use Fairy magic between his legs to bring him down without needing to use a full magic bar.

This only works if you have enough room to get to red-electric-attack distance. If you're stuck in a keep with him then welp!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

seiferguy posted:

When it's a Hyrulian Captain and it's the missions where the enemy gets stronger with each one that dies.
Even though I always play two player it's impossible to rescue them before they're dead, I hate it.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

^ just don’t worry about the strength gaining thing, there’s no way to save most of those captains. it’s only a problem if it makes you lose

ElegantFugue posted:

1: Stay far enough away that the Imprisoned starts to use the crackling red electricity attack. This attack only hits at range, it doesn't hit up close (even though the area near him is sparking too).

whoa..: this changes everything

I’ve definitely had him initiate that attack when locked in a keep, too, which sucks without this knowledge since you just can’t get far enough away

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Taear posted:

When it's a Hyrulian Captain and it's the missions where the enemy gets stronger with each one that dies.
Even though I always play two player it's impossible to rescue them before they're dead, I hate it.

Those actually seem to work best if you treat them less like a mission where your job is to keep your allies all alive, and more like a mission where it's a routing challenge to see how quickly you can kill off the targets that reset enemy morale back down.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

b_d posted:

^ just don’t worry about the strength gaining thing, there’s no way to save most of those captains. it’s only a problem if it makes you lose

I know, I'm not worrying about saving them. It's just annoying. You're getting bombarded with it and it's faster and faster after each new one loses.

ElegantFugue posted:

Those actually seem to work best if you treat them less like a mission where your job is to keep your allies all alive, and more like a mission where it's a routing challenge to see how quickly you can kill off the targets that reset enemy morale back down.

So far I haven't done one where they're strong enough to do damage even with high morale. Again, it's just a pain.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

b_d posted:

whoa..: this changes everything

I’ve definitely had him initiate that attack when locked in a keep, too, which sucks without this knowledge since you just can’t get far enough away

Yeah if you stand between his legs that move does nothing. And Fi’s C6 can take all his toes out in one shot if your C1 bar isn’t empty. Then C6 takes off like 3/4 of his WPG. It’s good.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

seiferguy posted:

Only if I have to fight it as Fi.

Yeah, you know the mission.

It is so much easier now though. In the original/Legends you had to A rank it to progress which was locked behind 10 hearts of damage.

:shepicide:

I did it in one go with the requirements loosened in Ultimate.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

seiferguy posted:

My biggest gripe about the game is having to constantly go back to keeps to save bases/allies or when some random event happens and I have to run across the entire map to lead a baby cuccoo somewhere or kill manhandla stalks.

I'm unsure if the original Dynasty Warriors games are like this, but holy poo poo is it obnoxious having to stop doing a thing and having to 180 to do another thing.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Zore posted:

It is so much easier now though. In the original/Legends you had to A rank it to progress which was locked behind 10 hearts of damage.

:shepicide:

I did it in one go with the requirements loosened in Ultimate.

Imagine how much worse it would have been in the original version where you could only ever take off half the Imprisoned's WPG in one go. Ever. He would automatically get back up when it emptied halfway.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Silver Falcon posted:

Imagine how much worse it would have been in the original version where you could only ever take off half the Imprisoned's WPG in one go. Ever. He would automatically get back up when it emptied halfway.

1/3 in wiiu
1/2 in 3ds
1 go in definitive

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

tithin posted:

1/3 in wiiu
1/2 in 3ds
1 go in definitive

Those were dark times

No wonder I can make the 15-minute time limit way easier now.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that and the health loss threshold for A rank is now so high that it might as well not even exist, which is ideal

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

tithin posted:

1/3 in wiiu
1/2 in 3ds
1 go in definitive

Um, what? No, it wasn't. It was half in Wii U and then removed entirely in 3DS, and hasn't been back since. Thank CHRIST.

Oxxidation posted:

that and the health loss threshold for A rank is now so high that it might as well not even exist, which is ideal

And there's actually a benefit to picking up Heart Containers/Pieces, now! Truly this is the Definitive Edition of this fine game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Btw how the hell do I A rank that one Adventure Map mission that’s a quiz where the third question summons Ganondorf and a Bokoblin and you’re supposed to kill Ganondorf without killing the fragile Bokoblin who likes to walk into your attacks?

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Boomerang?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hit the little guy with a boomerang then move so he's behind the camera. Be careful not to use really wide attacks.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I couldn’t get the Bokoblin to get far enough away from Ganondorf not to hit them both with the boomerang, very frustrating.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Btw how the hell do I A rank that one Adventure Map mission that’s a quiz where the third question summons Ganondorf and a Bokoblin and you’re supposed to kill Ganondorf without killing the fragile Bokoblin who likes to walk into your attacks?

Boomerang, powered light arrows with your back to the bokoblin.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

You can just run into stunned Ganondorf and push him away

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

It is unreal how different the game is between the Wii U version and this one.
The Wii U was punishingly annoyingly hard unless you were Sheikh.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Really need to pick up a 2nd controller for this so I can teach my girlfriend how to play and beat these missions in half the time :buddy:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I got the lv 2 Magic Rod and I finally got that Hard Skulltula in the Sealed Grounds. The one where you have to do a bunch of poo poo and then beat the Imprisoned in 10 minutes. Yeah, that one sucks.

Even with the lv 2 a weak point smasher barely did any damage to the bastard. I probably could have had an easier time of it if I had Bombos on any of my fairies, but the game has refused to give me any food my fire fairy likes so not even she has it yet! :argh:

Anyway I'm glad that's out of the way. The Imprisoned really is the worst.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?

Silver Falcon posted:

I got the lv 2 Magic Rod and I finally got that Hard Skulltula in the Sealed Grounds. The one where you have to do a bunch of poo poo and then beat the Imprisoned in 10 minutes. Yeah, that one sucks.

Even with the lv 2 a weak point smasher barely did any damage to the bastard. I probably could have had an easier time of it if I had Bombos on any of my fairies, but the game has refused to give me any food my fire fairy likes so not even she has it yet! :argh:

Anyway I'm glad that's out of the way. The Imprisoned really is the worst.

I ended up doing hard skulltulas in free mode since I could bring my very high level sheik and than bring the required character/weapon in second slot and then never use them.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

DontMindMe posted:

I ended up doing hard skulltulas in free mode since I could bring my very high level sheik and than bring the required character/weapon in second slot and then never use them.

Wait you can do that?

What the hell!!!!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

Wait you can do that?

What the hell!!!!

Yes you can. Ever since Legends.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

seiferguy posted:

Really need to pick up a 2nd controller for this so I can teach my girlfriend how to play and beat these missions in half the time :buddy:

Because the enemy density is so reduced in 2 player you'll spend a lot of your time just killing enemies so you can get an A rank.

Although it's nothing compared to in Fire Emblem Warriors where you need to kill 2000 and every loving mission is you never capturing any keeps and just finding a room where you can kill stuff until you hit 1000 each.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Taear posted:

Because the enemy density is so reduced in 2 player you'll spend a lot of your time just killing enemies so you can get an A rank.

Although it's nothing compared to in Fire Emblem Warriors where you need to kill 2000 and every loving mission is you never capturing any keeps and just finding a room where you can kill stuff until you hit 1000 each.

I usually end up spending a lot of time killing people to get up to the usual 1600 required kills anyway!

As a sidenote, I love the missions that are "kill as many people as fast as you can" and going ham with Linkle. Every time she goes "Yes! I feel so STRONG!" I'm always like :yeah:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

seiferguy posted:

I usually end up spending a lot of time killing people to get up to the usual 1600 required kills anyway!

As a sidenote, I love the missions that are "kill as many people as fast as you can" and going ham with Linkle. Every time she goes "Yes! I feel so STRONG!" I'm always like :yeah:

Weirdly with Hyrule Warriors I don't have as much of an issue killing enough enemies but I think that's because now there's faeries you can murder hundreds and hundreds of mobs in a single press of the right stick.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Switch version spawns a lot more enemies than the DS version did so it's a lot easier to hit the ko limits. I usually end up with around 2k on the missions that have ko requirements. When I went through story mode without any fairies I was getting like 3k in most of the missions.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Bakalakadaka posted:

Switch version spawns a lot more enemies than the DS version did so it's a lot easier to hit the ko limits. I usually end up with around 2k on the missions that have ko requirements. When I went through story mode without any fairies I was getting like 3k in most of the missions.

On multiplayer the volume is MUCH lower. You don't get the slowdown that Wii U had on multiplayer (or the crashes fire emblem had) but there's still far fewer mobs.
Faeries are the great leveller for it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I did Zelda’s lv3 Rapier mission and forgot to pay attention to my KO count because the officers were taking forever and I didn’t get enough. Wah wah

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

DontMindMe posted:

I tried this with having Link be my second warrior in the prologue level. I think the fact that your second warrior will leave the map broke something cause the skulltula didn't spawn :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Just got this game a few weeks ago and having a lot of fun! The Linkle missions taught me the joy of using Linkle but I’m glad I dipped into Koholint because Marin is a lot of fun. There seem to be a few real bad weapons, so I’m glad most of the characters I like have good ones.

Oddly this game seems to serve as negative advertising for Skyward Sword, which I didn’t play and now never will because all the worst parts of Hyrule Warriors seem to originate there.