Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
By the way, thanks to even more help from some very helpful folks my ACS and DECORATE knowledge has grown exponentially!!! (read: a tiny bit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60hgbLkjV_E

Therefore, here is an update for my mod.

quote:

NEW STUFF:
- Fancy new scrolling text for point changes
- Implemented Multiplier trickle down. Keep killing stuff to keep it from dropping!
- Items, armor, and weapons now give points

KNOWN BUGS:
- You can pick up health items at 100+ HP and they don't give you anything
- IDKFA and other cheats no longer give you weapons and items due to CustomInventory
- Items/etc. reset the Multiplier trickle
- Some pickup messages are still debugs

Also, pickup items aren't supposed to add to your multiplier, only give points, I forgot to mention that in the video. I have a little bit of an idea on how to fix the IDKFA problem and making it so you can't pick up the health item replacements is just a matter of giving the CustomInventory health items a max amount. It's coming along nicely!

The trickle down speed is currently just a placeholder, in the next update I'll be shooting for making it decay faster the higher your multiplier is, automagically with math and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
In case anyone else was also interested in revamping Hexen, current Wrath of Cronos builds are now here: https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/wads.php?name=wrathofcronos&order=date_desc

edit: but appears not to work on latest versions of gzdoom :eng99:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zaphod42 posted:

Unless you're using serious gameplay mods like brutal doom that add headshots, it does the same thing whether you aim or not.

Here's an example of a situation where mouseaim is tactically better than autoaim:

The demon isn't a threat because it can't reach you. The arch-vile is a big threat because you don't have cover. Eliminating the archie therefore has the absolute priority, and if you can aim to shoot above the pinkie's head to hit the archie instead, it's better.

Feel free to imagine a big swarm of demons serving as ablative armor for the archvile if you want. This kind of situation is where vanilla Doom game mechanics (autoaiming on the nearest monster) can artificially make the game harder.

There's even worse with the rocket launcher. Imagine some sort of crenelation, you're firing at a monster straight ahead, some dumb monster comes sneaking by the side of the wall, enters the autoaim cone, your rockets are deviated to go to it, impacting with the crenelation right next to you, and you kill yourself because of monster you didn't even see started attracting your rockets like a magnet.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Early FPS Megathread: Come for the gibs and auto aim talk, leave with a new word (crenellation)

Thanks for that! :toot:

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Rocket Pan posted:

Autoaim has nothing to do with the weapon offset. Autoaim is based on the moment a firing action occurs (such as when the shotgun emits hitscans). Meanwhile weapon offsets are based on the level time for every frame that calls A_WeaponReady. In vanilla it sticks in place and never reset because the offset only ever updates with that call (i.e while you don't have fire held down and the weapon idles.)

It's also why the chainsaw appears very jittery when idle, as its animation frames last longer than 1 tick, thus the offset is updated less often.

Huh, interesting, I always associated that jump with the auto-aim resetting on the next closest monster after firing while moving. I should dive into the code sometime!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Rocket Pan posted:

Hazard damage occurs if the player is standing in a hazard sector every 31 tics of the level timer (leveltime & 0x1F == 0), while the sine angle of the weapon bob is based on angle = (128 * leveltime) & FINEMASK. Both use the same level timer, and as such both have the same epoch. The weapon bob angle just happened to match 31 tics either side of the swing, syncing with the hazard timer, and since the timer continues regardless if the events are relevant or not they always sync up.

It's very much a coincidence, not that unlikely though due to the use of bitwise operators and the specific values it requires, but a rather fascinating one none the less.

I guess that makes sense but why have the bobbing animation on a timer at all? Or do all animations need that because that's Just How Things Work? Forgive me I've never programmed a thing in my life outside of statistical analyses in SAS.

Cat Mattress posted:

Here's an example of a situation where mouseaim is tactically better than autoaim:

The demon isn't a threat because it can't reach you. The arch-vile is a big threat because you don't have cover. Eliminating the archie therefore has the absolute priority, and if you can aim to shoot above the pinkie's head to hit the archie instead, it's better.

Feel free to imagine a big swarm of demons serving as ablative armor for the archvile if you want. This kind of situation is where vanilla Doom game mechanics (autoaiming on the nearest monster) can artificially make the game harder.

Threat blind autoaim is integral to the authentic Doom experience :colbert:

Cat Mattress posted:

There's even worse with the rocket launcher. Imagine some sort of crenelation, you're firing at a monster straight ahead, some dumb monster comes sneaking by the side of the wall, enters the autoaim cone, your rockets are deviated to go to it, impacting with the crenelation right next to you, and you kill yourself because of monster you didn't even see started attracting your rockets like a magnet.

This poo poo happens to be more than I care to admit though. Especially dangerous when there are lost souls dispersed about the room charging at whoever they've picked fights with.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

fadam posted:

When Duke Nukem 3d first came out did it have mouse look on by default?

Late to the party on this, but I just tested this on my Duke3D install from the original CD, and I'm pretty sure I haven't messed with any of the control settings, and my findings: moving mouse left-right turns Duke in that direction as you'd expect, but mouse up-down moves Duke backwards and forwards. So uh have fun kids!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

RyokoTK posted:

What doesn't matter is the Zdoom parameters or mods that you play Doom with.

What matters is that you play Doom.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I guess that makes sense but why have the bobbing animation on a timer at all? Or do all animations need that because that's Just How Things Work? Forgive me I've never programmed a thing in my life outside of statistical analyses in SAS.

Running it on a global timer in lock-step with the game time will make it appear smoother in general. You even need one less global variable then, instead of having a global for "current weapon bob frame" you just calculate it from the existing timer global.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Rappaport posted:

Late to the party on this, but I just tested this on my Duke3D install from the original CD, and I'm pretty sure I haven't messed with any of the control settings, and my findings: moving mouse left-right turns Duke in that direction as you'd expect, but mouse up-down moves Duke backwards and forwards. So uh have fun kids!

That's also how Dark Forces handles the mouse by default, and seems to be a fairly common configuration for mid-90s FPSes in general.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

ItBreathes posted:

I had the xbla version of Doom 2 at one point and eventually the inability to switch to a weapon directly (and I think the super shotgun being placed at the end of the line) made it unplayable. Was great until then.

XBLA Doom was what got me interested in doom again after years past playing the PS port of doom at a families house.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rappaport posted:

Yeah up/down aiming only comes on when you press U

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

site posted:

just got done playing ancient aliens with a gamepad chillin on the couch for the last hour it owns

wish there was a doom 16 weapon wheel and associated slowdown though

Here you go. It's still early but it looks pretty good.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Rappaport posted:

Interesting, thanks!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Simon The Digger posted:

Here you go. It's still early but it looks pretty good.

oh my god thats awesome thank you

manero
Jan 30, 2006

drat, REKKR is bleak as gently caress.

I love it

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

In Duke Nukem 3D you have to turn on "inverted" mouse controls to get what is now considered normal, which is sort of interesting.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I remember there being a really bonkers Doom mod awhile back that had a name text that was almost unreadable, and it had a PSO styled lobby between levels to buy upgrades and other things, among having tons of new levels, enemies, etc. anyone remember what it was called? I was thinking about playing it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I remember there being a really bonkers Doom mod awhile back that had a name text that was almost unreadable, and it had a PSO styled lobby between levels to buy upgrades and other things, among having tons of new levels, enemies, etc. anyone remember what it was called? I was thinking about playing it.

DoomRPG. It hasn't updated in years afaik. It also only works on old dev builds of gzdoom from early 2016.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 20, 2018

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Diabetes Forecast posted:

This sounds like the ridiculous mess that is ProDoomer, which... you know, it has enthusiasm on its side, I'll give it that.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

The Kins posted:

This sounds like the ridiculous mess that is ProDoomer, which... you know, it has enthusiasm on its side, I'll give it that.

That's the one, Thanks! I've been really interested in giving it another swing, despite how odd it was the first time I tried it.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Saw this posted on Tumblr:

never heard of it before, though to look it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05j_BlsIbBM&t=108s

I'm kinda impressed at this running on Amiga hardware.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

This video game adaptations of popular films are getting out of hand.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I'm kinda impressed at this running on Amiga hardware.

The Amigas were always known for their graphical beef, and new models were coming out as late as 1992. Looking at that box, the game is for the A1200 and A4000; the A1200 had an MC68k processor clocked at the same speed as the 386s DOOM was written for, in addition to dedicated sound and graphics accelerators, and 2MB of RAM (upgradeable). The A4000 was a higher-budget equivalent and used a more modern Motorola processor with twice the clock speed.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jul 20, 2018

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Saw this posted on Tumblr:

Those action-packed screenshots probably moved a lot of copies!!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

The Amigas were always known for their graphical beef, and new models were coming out as late as 1992.
They were known for their 2D beefiness in the late 80s. They were pretty bad at the sort of 3D graphics that Doom and similar games demanded. Some very talented programmers were able to get reasonable approximations of it out of the hardware, often with serious compromises to resolution or gameplay. I wanna say Breathless was published by a peripheral manufacturer trying to continue sales after Commodore's demise...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Russian reverse-engineering Java enthusiasts are gettin' all liquored up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3CtVzcr_Pg

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Kins posted:

They were known for their 2D beefiness in the late 80s. They were pretty bad at the sort of 3D graphics that Doom and similar games demanded. Some very talented programmers were able to get reasonable approximations of it out of the hardware, often with serious compromises to resolution or gameplay. I wanna say Breathless was published by a peripheral manufacturer trying to continue sales after Commodore's demise...

Yeah, the Amiga architecture was very good, for 85-87, at dumping a conventional 2d platformer or shooter into a TV set as display real fast.

And that design was almost perfectly the opposite of the design you'd want to render live 3d gameplay.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Kins posted:

The Russians were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they never stopped to think if they should.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I never played RNR but good god what is with that sound design.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hey Russians, get to work on dark forces tia

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

site posted:

Hey Russians, get to work on dark forces tia

If I had more free time I'd honestly be tempted to try doing that myself

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Hate to say it, but... Redneck Rampage is an awful looking (and sounding) game.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Ularg posted:

The texture work is pretty great for the time to be honest. It's the level design, lack of enemy variety and terrible health pack penalties that really ruin it imo

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Ularg posted:

Bought it for the soundtrack.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

RR is like most of Xatrix's stuff where the visual design is really good (well, the levels and textures anyway) but the gameplay is pretty bad. Kingpin also looked amazing but played like poo poo and RTCW was an improvement but still kinda suffers from being inbetween the classic FPS and the more modern era of shooters.

THE BAR posted:

Bought it for the soundtrack.
WELLLLLLLLLLL I'M SQUASHING ARMADILLOS OUT ON INTERSTATE 10

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Kins posted:

Ooh, that's excellent, I'm really looking forward to that. It already looks more polished than eRampage, not that that's a startling huge bar to clear.

Lemon-Lime posted:

The Russians were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they never stopped to think if they should.

M210 already made TekWarGDX, any such concerns are long since past.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Mill Village posted:

I wish they sold just the box for $20. I don’t need the other stuff.

They're gonna have plans to sell a seperate copy with just the game and less goodies for a more retail price. That's pretty much what the Voidpoint and 3DR guys said on Discord.

The Kins posted:

M210 is on the blood Discord, if anyone want to talk to him or just read his arguments with Eduke32 team.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Playing some Oblige maps with SmoothDoom. Thanks thread for recommending SmoothDoom, it has a buncha extended options that are a nice middle ground between vanilla Doom and the wackiness of Brutal Doom (which I also enjoyed).

I'm also sometimes playing with textures resized with HQ4X, if that sends anyone into a paroxysm. It tickles me to do so when I originally played Doom on a machine with a busted sound card that also struggled to play the Quake demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Uncle Kitchener posted:

M210 is on the blood Discord, if anyone want to talk to him or just read his arguments with Eduke32 team.

There's a Blood Discord?