Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i'm surprised they didn't just call their little alliance program BlueWashing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Cross posting from C-Spam

FistEnergy posted:

Ok @IspyTsla is the guy who's been taking video at Tesla's tent factory. The one where, according to Musk and last month's NYT puff piece, a ton of cars get made in a giant tent to keep things rolling. Maybe you think the videos mean nothing, but he's there. The videos are real. He's been doing it for months.

Last month's giant push to put out a huge number of Model 3s ended with almost 5000 'factory gated' in the last week. There have been a ton of photos taken of TM3s at Tesla service centers with tags saying this. Over the course of the month, somewhere around 12k cars were 'gated' and never arrived to customers, service centers, or anywhere else. A total of 29k cars produced but never sold according to the SEC.

https://twitter.com/Andreas_Hopf/status/1019818032871469056?s=19

https://twitter.com/TeslaCharts/status/1019734214391017474?s=19

Spergs have been checking service centers, looking for new production to account for the missing cars or cars paid for but delayed weeks for no good reason.

https://twitter.com/ContrarianShort/status/1019391551229788160?s=19

https://twitter.com/BosInvestor/status/1019301614321061891?s=19

https://twitter.com/Benshooter/status/1019789148087992320?s=19

Fast forward to yesterday. People are trying to find a secluded location near the Tesla factory that could hide a ton of unfinished cars reported as assembled/sold. Someone finds a perfect spot nearby:

https://twitter.com/mydoghasagun/status/1019793319004495873?s=19

LNR Auto Transport

The location is perfect, it's an area that basically does nothing, and the ad even shows a bunch of Teslas.

So here's @IspyTsla again, checking out the tip and taking videos of semis dropping off a sea of new-looking Teslas and driving away empty:

https://twitter.com/ValueDissenter/status/1020018426973048832?s=19

https://twitter.com/ValueDissenter/status/1020021601356546048?s=19

https://twitter.com/IspyTsla/status/1020023819396820992?s=19

https://twitter.com/IspyTsla/status/1020024882166300672?s=19

I'm phoneposting but um holy poo poo, it looks like the best sperg sleuthing ever.

https://twitter.com/eriz35/status/1020025212581052421

Car Citizen

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

What (other than being Teslas) makes them unsellable?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Schadenboner posted:

my guess is they don't work

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

the problem with this joy ride is that it absolutely has an end

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Schadenboner posted:

I think its that they've completely cut back on construction quality and fixing issues, so they can get cars out the door, even if they're too broken to actually sell. But it lets them hit their production targets so they don't scare off investors

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

President Beep posted:

hasn't stopped them before though

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
also crosspostin

lancemantis posted:

huh I wonder now if those transport carriers full of tesla's I see going over the altamont pass on 580 occasionally are going to that graveyard/lot

i thought it was kind of weird but just dismissed it as them going to a dealership/distribution hub

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

hobbesmaster posted:

hasn't stopped them before though

yeah, but my guess is, like, they really don't work. like, there's cinder blocks boring company tailings where the batteries should be or something.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

is that what's actually happening or are they just storing a bunch of cars "in transit" so elon can claim "manufacturing" 10k cars in a week or something

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

this is un loving believeable

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
a car shaped object that leaves the factory is a produced car; silicon valley ethics of fake it until you make it :thumbsup:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

President Beep posted:

yeah, but my guess is, like, they really don't work. like, there's cinder blocks boring company tailings where the batteries should be or something.

california also has some p strong lemon laws btw

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah they can't actually deliver them, they might have to give a refund then

they can just blackhole them in delivery and figuratively blame UPS

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

President Beep posted:

they absolutely dont loving work

lmao

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

resounding success :golfclap:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

california also has some p strong lemon laws btw

but.........does it have strong elon laws???

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
this was obvious from the get go

me on july 3 in the tech buble thred posted:

yeah. the "5000 cars" thing was a one-off effort to hit an arbitrary deadline for pr, quarter end, and investor milestone reasons. they just needed to push 5000 vaguely car-shaped objects out of the factory exit to make their target. after all the pictures are taken and the confetti is swept away, most of them will be pushed back into the factory to have the rest of their parts reinstalled (if not outright scrapped)
im glad that theyre not actually putting those cars made in a dusty circuit tent by contractors working 14 hour shifts on the road or into customers hands, at least

also this explains some of the weird aspects of the circus tent push to 5000, like camera footage of forklifts hauling around half completed model 3s and just dropping them wherever. these cars were never meant to be sold

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

maybe the tesla investors they are trying not to scare are so dumb they don't know how to look on twitter to see how much they are being duped

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
what if he sells them to another country with much lower safety standards

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

anime was right posted:

what if he sells them to another country with much lower safety standards

like texas?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

weird how creepy internet stalker types can be pivoted into good acts if the topic is dorky enough

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
tesla model 3% finished

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

when someone mentioned ca's lemon laws, i was seriously wondering if the people who've had their delivered are in states with weaker ones.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

akadajet posted:

maybe the tesla investors they are trying not to scare are so dumb they don't know how to look on twitter to see how much they are being duped

The way I think about a human mind is that it's essentially a parking lot with low parking bumps around it, methodologically and ideologically speaking. A sufficient force might push awareness over this (fairly low) barrier but ordinary news isn't going to.

That is to say, Tesla investors are looking for evidence of their beliefs (and the 5000 car thing is just that) not a reason to doubt these beliefs.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Endless Mike posted:

when someone mentioned ca's lemon laws, i was seriously wondering if the people who've had their delivered are in states with weaker ones.
i see a fair number of model 3s here in the bay area but theyre probably owned by tesla employees

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

is that what's actually happening or are they just storing a bunch of cars "in transit" so elon can claim "manufacturing" 10k cars in a week or something

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dammit, i forgot that they literally had a whole episode about ol' musky and i could have used the simpsons version of him. poo poo. oh well

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
delightfully devilish, elon

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
yeah the new nissan leaf is way cooler at this point than the model 3 would be anyway

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
what does "factory gated" mean i dont know anything about cars

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Suspicious Dish posted:

google suggests it is a new term that means "kept inside the factory gate but technically still produced"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nobody knows, it's a term that only tesla has used

probably means "failed quality control" but in a way that won't spook the pigeons

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

ah, the ol' units "produced" versus units "sold" switcharoo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

it doesn't sound like anyone outside of tesla really knows, but the theory is that those are cars tesla has pumped out of the factory that aren't usable.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
ok i dont understand why they would put a giant sign saying that theyre bad cars on them then

and also the printed "factory gate" sign

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

tesla is a SCAM and elon musk is a giant FRAUD

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

ok i dont understand why they would put a giant sign saying that theyre bad cars on them then

and also the printed "factory gate" sign

they want to keep them off the books so they put a sign on them

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it means they're holding them off for sale to meet their fictitious manufacturing claims

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
But won't that absolutely gently caress their margins (or profit per unit, whatever it's called?) if the denominator fills up with unsalables?