Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mike_V posted:

Think these next 5 games against the Cubs are going to determine how different the Cards' roster will look in the coming years. Personally, I'm OK if they drop 4 or 5 and it means the front office can go all in on an Astros/Braves type rebuild (although I think the Cards farm system wouldn't keep them as terrible as those two clubs were prior to getting good).

Well Happ is starting in CF tonight over Almora so enjoy your victory tonight at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

mikeraskol posted:

I just went down into one of those 30 minute bbref rabbit holes where you're just going from player page to player page and goddamn I knew but didn't really know how good a career Sale has had so far.

He's the career leader in K9 and K:BB. It's insane.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Pancakes posted:

I’m fine with a rebuild but so help me god if they trade CarMart I will lose my poo poo.

give me CarMart and we'll get him to stop walking people

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/1019964731879247874?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I just don't see how this is happening. The whole rationale behind the Cubs trade strategy this year was that they'd make up for their complete lack of a farm by trading away a young MLB piece in Happ, Almora, or Russell. That makes sense for a big splash trade, but I don't see Theo parting with a 25 man guy for a Britton rental, and I don't see the Orioles being enticed enough by any Cubs prospects to trade them Britton over other competing teams that could use the bullpen help (read: basically all of them).

The O's have a history of wildly unproductive trading with the Cubs although I still have a soft spot for that slap happy moron Sosa, it's embarrassing.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

drat

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

This is so good. This meme needs to take off.

Carlosologist posted:

He only has 5 in his last 4 starts! :D

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Sydin posted:

The BBWAA is dumb and doesn't like to give awards to guys who are on bad teams. Sale has had an unbelievable career but he spent most of it with a mediocre White Sox team and didn't pitch a single post season inning until last year with Boston.

Reminder that Felix has never appeared in a postseason game and he still has a Cy Young.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

Reminder that Felix has never appeared in a postseason game and he still has a Cy Young.

Currently 7th all time in career starts without a post season appearance.
An insane 200 starts behind 1st place Fergie Jenkins.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Some Numbers posted:

He was so much better than anyone else that year and threw 250 innings. Thank god it wasn't close otherwise he probably wouldn't have gotten it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

Well Happ is starting in CF tonight over Almora so enjoy your victory tonight at least.

Happ is good.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Thom P. Tiers posted:

He was so much better than anyone else that year and threw 250 innings. Thank god it wasn't close otherwise he probably wouldn't have gotten it.

In peripherals, sure, but he was 13-12, while CC has 21 wins and Price and Lester had 19.

And we all know how much baseball writers love wins.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
They had voted for Greinke the year before over Felix despite Felix's wins. (Greinke totally deserved it.)
In the NL Lincecum won over Carpenter despite a lesser record as well. (Carpenter had a better case in the NL than Felix in the AL to my eye, but drat those K totals.)

The "stop just voting for whoever got the most wins" stage had been set.

If they had turned around and rewarded wins the next year I would have lost my mind.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Some Numbers posted:

In peripherals, sure, but he was 13-12, while CC has 21 wins and Price and Lester had 19.

And we all know how much baseball writers love wins.

Not enough for Waino. :sigh:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
https://twitter.com/Cardinals/status/1020003622007001094

:allears:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The voters have never really leaned heavily on team success in CY voting, aside from what team success is baked into Wins. It's the MVP where they have always and still do put a large emphasis on team quality. That's improving now too, but basically to win the MVP on a non-playoff team you have to really stand out above the field that year.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

The voters have never really leaned heavily on team success in CY voting, aside from what team success is baked into Wins. It's the MVP where they have always and still do put a large emphasis on team quality. That's improving now too, but basically to win the MVP on a non-playoff team you have to really stand out above the field that year.

I think there's a cogent argument for that with the MVP voting, moreso than with something like the CY. It also seems like the only people who are ever really MVP-worthy and on garbage teams are Mike Trout and Joey Votto, too.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Stanton won MVP on the Marlins just last year.

edit: an example of team quality influencing the MVP race is 2011 NL, when the Dodgers were still crap and Braun narrowly beat out Kemp because the Brewers won the central.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Everyone should read his book. Any Chicagoons who want to borrow my copy are free to do so.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

I was (barely) in college when he was a rookie :negative:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think MVP voting has been pretty good of late. Donaldson over Trout in 2015 was bad. And same goes for Cabrera over Trout in 2013. But outside of screwing Trout over, it's been good the last 6 or so years.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/1019964731879247874?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I just don't see how this is happening. The whole rationale behind the Cubs trade strategy this year was that they'd make up for their complete lack of a farm by trading away a young MLB piece in Happ, Almora, or Russell. That makes sense for a big splash trade, but I don't see Theo parting with a 25 man guy for a Britton rental, and I don't see the Orioles being enticed enough by any Cubs prospects to trade them Britton over other competing teams that could use the bullpen help (read: basically all of them).

Congrats on David Bote for playing himself into a starting role on a 50 win Orioles team

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

Is Britton really going to bring back a big haul? He hasn't shown to be good in 2 years. He makes a lot of money this season. I feel like his value at this stage is some low level prospects if the new team is going to eat his remaining salary.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's less about a big haul and more about him being a target of many other competing teams, all of whom have more to offer than the Cubs unless Theo is actually going to trade away a 25-man guy for two months of Britton. Even if he only costs one of a team's top 30 prospects + some lotto tickets, the Yankees, Astros, Brewers, Dodgers, Cardinals, Indians, Mariners, Athletics, Diamondbacks, Red Sox, Phillies, Braves, and Nationals all have better top 30 guys and lotto tickets to provide.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

On the Trout thing, some ESPN football guys on the radio perceptively noted that in a recent poll, "Who is Your Favorite Baseball Player?" the majority said Jeter, who hasn't played in four loving years. "Really?" they said. "A guy who doesn't even play is the face of baseball to most Americans?

"You can't have a popular sport without charismatic athletes" they went on, and this is what frustrates Manfred. Not Trout really, but he's symptomatic: a guy historically good who isn't really celebrated outside the sport, unlike a Joe D, a Jordan or a LeBron.

They also snarkily noted "that what can you expect from a sport that actively discourages emotion and personality?"

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Sydin posted:

Is Almora still on family emergency leave?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

It's less about a big haul and more about him being a target of many other competing teams, all of whom have more to offer than the Cubs unless Theo is actually going to trade away a 25-man guy for two months of Britton. Even if he only costs one of a team's top 30 prospects + some lotto tickets, the Yankees, Astros, Brewers, Dodgers, Cardinals, Indians, Mariners, Athletics, Diamondbacks, Red Sox, Phillies, Braves, and Nationals all have better top 30 guys and lotto tickets to provide.

He's not going to trade away a 25-man guy with years of team control for half a season of Zach Britton who he'll have to pay $4 million for. You're way overvaluing Britton when there are so many good relievers available and many with years of team control.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Jeets showed personality off the field, by having sex with lots of famous women. All American boy right there.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Miz Kriss posted:

Is Almora still on family emergency leave?

No, he was just activated. Happ is probably starting because he has hit Carlos Martinez really well.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Niwrad posted:

No, he was just activated. Happ is probably starting because he has hit Carlos Martinez really well.

Thanks for the clarification. Although, I now have the mental image of Happ chasing CarMart with a bat

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

He's not going to trade away a 25-man guy with years of team control for half a season of Zach Britton who he'll have to pay $4 million for. You're way overvaluing Britton when there are so many good relievers available and many with years of team control.

I'm not sure why this is difficult to understand. I'm not overvaluing Britton because this has nothing to do with what he's worth. My point is that if the Cubs are in on any guy, and said guy is also being targeted by other competing teams, those teams have better prospects to throw at a deal than the Cubs do, regardless of what level of prospects is being requested. This goes for any player of any value, rental or no rental. The only way for the Cubs to overcome this vast difference in farm strengths is to trade a 25-man guy. I agree with you that Theo will not do that to rent Britton. Hence, the Cubs will not get Britton, because in a war of only prospects the Cubs lose every time.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Carlosologist posted:

CarMart to the Yankees would be the worst of all timelines.

Miz Kriss posted:

Thanks for the clarification. Although, I now have the mental image of Happ chasing CarMart with a bat

I’d storm the field. I don’t even have tickets, I’d literally leave my house, enter Wrigley and then storm the field after seeing that at home.

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 20, 2018

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

If anyone hurts Carlos Martinez I will follow them around and boo them like that old lady from the Princess Bride for the rest of my time on planet earth

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

seiferguy posted:

Jeets showed personality off the field, by having sex with lots of famous women. All American boy right there.

Well yeah, Joe D and Marilyn, A-Rod and Kate Hudson and Madonna, Jeter and Kate Biel, Jessica Alba, Barry Zito and Paris Hilton, Upton and Verlander but mainly Joe D and Marilyn

American League - Covered in Cum

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

the popes toes posted:

American League - Covered in Cum

New thread title??

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Giancarlo is continuing the proud New York tradition because he was in the Bahamas with an instagram model this all-star break

American League - Covered in Cum is appropriate and just, imo

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Stan married his teen sweetheart and they stayed married for 72 years :3:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

mentholmoose posted:

No Dick Pole, tournament is a failure.

I, like the women of Philidelphia, demand Dickie Thon

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Urban Shocker was not listed. It wasn't a real tournament from the start.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Man, I remember Dickie Thon getting beaned when he was an Astro and it was horribly awful. I didn't know he was Puerto Rican until that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Urban Shocker was not listed. It wasn't a real tournament from the start.

Also, Rusty Kuntz

• Locked thread