Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

He basically vanished from the game entirely after I mentioned it, at least I'm engaging and voting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

IcePhoenix posted:

Flerp how do you feel about my case on TNL

what is it?

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
honestly, didnt have the chance to look thru TNL's posts but i saw ur post history and was like holy moley this is horrendous so i made my case and now im legit about to leave. i can look over TNL tomorrow

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Slamburger posted:

"Frozen in time" / "frozen in stasis" were Ecco's full flavor so of all the things wrong with Anpu, this isn't a slip:

I dunno I was just really going under the assumption that they were janitored kills so his constant referring to people coming back seemed weird to me

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

flerp posted:

what is it?

You literally quoted it and then just ignored it

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Anpu posted:

So I am a scum inventor who also disappears people but I somehow confused my own ability and said frozen instead?

And I’m a janitor too.

Do you see my issue with your attempted line of reasoning?

Anpu
Jun 26, 2018

I have opened your two eyes. I have opened your mouth with the instruments of Anpu...

flerp posted:

ANPU can you please tell me why you think ice phoenix is town and why you think beet is scum? like, give me a good rundown. you dont need to give a huge effort post analyzing their posts, but i want to know what has you so convinced about these two? like, real, honest reasoning vs. just statements of "beet is scum" and "IP is town." please.

I think Ice Phoenix is town because he has consistently acted truthfully and brazenly. There is no deceit in him, he says what is and identifies issues. The push on him was a lurker lynch more than anything and I believe the enthusiasm for it came from scum. Also I have a very good feeling about Ice Phoenix’s refusal to claim. I feel scum would have said anything to save themselves, even a bad claim would have the potential to pull votes. Instead Ics Phoenix stood his ground, full of Virtue and unafraid.

Beetphyxious is scum because of MMT’s actions. People want to give him the benefit of the doubt but have pulled too far the other way. Max called it out for what it was, and ideally MMT should have been lynched right then and there. Instead Beetphyxious has come in and has failed to do any actual casing. He has butted heads with people for the sake of confusing others and he has whined for One Hundred Posts about my case on him, but has done nothing.

People think it is unfair to lynch Beetphyxious because of MMT’s poor play, but it is stupidity itself to allow a clear scum to stay in the game and ignore the evidence before you.

Anpu
Jun 26, 2018

I have opened your two eyes. I have opened your mouth with the instruments of Anpu...

What?

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
My town reads are in no order slamburger, Mona and icephoenix. Lean town on flerp and anpu (though it wouldn’t surprise me if you are a 3p). Everyone else scum

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

IcePhoenix posted:

You literally quoted it and then just ignored it

ah a lurker case, v powerful. why tnl over u?

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Mafia edit:

Anpu
Jun 26, 2018

It is a bit late in this game for these sorts of shenanigans.

I do not Trust Moatillata.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Anpu posted:

It is a bit late in this game for these sorts of shenanigans.

I do not Trust Moatillata.

It's true we should all be forthcoming and honest like you

Anpu
Jun 26, 2018

Moatillata posted:

It's true we should all be forthcoming and honest like you

I am both of these so yes.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Anpu posted:

I am both of these so yes.

:cheers:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

flerp posted:

ah a lurker case, v powerful. why tnl over u?

Are you being intentionally obtuse or is it that hard to actually read my posts? I'm not writing novels like other posters, it's not exactly difficult to sift through them.

I'm phone posting so I'm not digging it up but I quote a post by TNL, I call it out, TNL immediately backtracks, then vanishes. A little later I added why I called it out (you quoted this post).

The reason I didn't push it yesterday is because I also believe MMbeeT to be scum and so I was happy to get them as well until a bandwagon on me was attempted last minute.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Yeah beet and tnl are almost certainly scum.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

What did I "backtrack from" again?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Honestly my biggest reason for her being at the top of my list was the same thing, she's mentioned before that when she's not town her effort craters because she has trouble "casing" people.

I said I'd give my reasoning on TNL as well so anyway, TNL seems to put a lot of effort into their RP and the post that pinged me is not one I think they would have made if they had a role PM similar to mine.
I didn't look at my PM when I made the RP post you are thinking of. It was an off the cuff joke about how we're all mafia aligned.

Ecco already shared a sample town PM with the word townie bolded. If scum have fakeclaims it's probably in a similar format.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Basically don't base your suspicion of me on the idea that my role PM might not have the word "townie" bolded in it.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

IcePhoenix posted:

Does Ecco's heart thing in the 2P always have a question mark after what I assume are the number of players remaining?

it does when it's during the night, and I hadn't updated the OP yet to reflect day 3.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
ok, i had a good night and now i have to deal with this thread again gently caress

Anpu posted:

I think Ice Phoenix is town because he has consistently acted truthfully and brazenly. There is no deceit in him, he says what is and identifies issues. The push on him was a lurker lynch more than anything and I believe the enthusiasm for it came from scum. Also I have a very good feeling about Ice Phoenix’s refusal to claim. I feel scum would have said anything to save themselves, even a bad claim would have the potential to pull votes. Instead Ics Phoenix stood his ground, full of Virtue and unafraid.

i disagree with some of this. i dont really know what you mean by "truthfully and brazenly" because idk how you can know ice phoenix is acting truthfully since you dont know his alignment. and this is still very vague, since it just seems to make large sweeping statements ("there is no deceit in him, he says what is and identifies") without really any justification. but, really, this isnt what really matters, because i just want to ask a question. and please, try to answer it in a way that doesnt say thing like "full of Virtue and unafraid" because im not gonna lie, this game is getting really exhausting when it comes to reading stuff like that. i dont care if it's a gimmick, it isnt funny or fun anymore. anyways, the question:

do you believe my case on ice phoenix has any validity? like, are there are any good points you agree with, or is all of it dumb nonsense? do you believe ive mischaracterized what he's said? did you even look through his post history to form your opinion on him?

Anpu posted:

Beetphyxious is scum because of MMT’s actions. People want to give him the benefit of the doubt but have pulled too far the other way. Max called it out for what it was, and ideally MMT should have been lynched right then and there. Instead Beetphyxious has come in and has failed to do any actual casing. He has butted heads with people for the sake of confusing others and he has whined for One Hundred Posts about my case on him, but has done nothing.

People think it is unfair to lynch Beetphyxious because of MMT’s poor play, but it is stupidity itself to allow a clear scum to stay in the game and ignore the evidence before you.

it sucks that i had to coax this out of you after so loving long, but hey, at least its an actual real case instead of vague statements. however, i think this is really unfair assessment of beet, especially with the statement of "has failed to do any actual casing." what do you call beet's extensive posts about you? do you not consider that casing, somehow? or do you think because it's targeted at you, it isnt casing?

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

IcePhoenix posted:

Are you being intentionally obtuse or is it that hard to actually read my posts? I'm not writing novels like other posters, it's not exactly difficult to sift through them.

I'm phone posting so I'm not digging it up but I quote a post by TNL, I call it out, TNL immediately backtracks, then vanishes. A little later I added why I called it out (you quoted this post).

The reason I didn't push it yesterday is because I also believe MMbeeT to be scum and so I was happy to get them as well until a bandwagon on me was attempted last minute.

ok, this is fine, i dont think TNL is cleared or isnt scummy, but like, quite frankly, i dont give a poo poo. i have a case on you, and your response is, "BUT LOOK AT TNL HES A LURKER TOO." like, so what. this doesnt change the fact that youve done scummy poo poo. oh you called out a lurker, do you want a gold star and for me to somehow forget all the scummy posts? i dont know what you want me to say about TNL, because yeah, he's lurky son of a gun, but that doesnt have anything to do with my post about you.

also ill give the same question i gave to anpu:

why do you think beet is scum? you have said you thought mmt/beet was scum for 3 days now, and yet, there's nary a post about why you actually think that aside from the d1 meta post about mmt.

and guys, ITS DAY 3!!!! we can make cases better than meta cases!

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

b-minus1 posted:

Yeah beet and tnl are almost certainly scum.

why?

guys, PLEASE, PLEASE just explaing your reasoning. mafia isnt just a game of finding the scum, it's also about convincing others to agree with you so you can get everyone to agree on killing the scum. so when you say stuff like this without any reasoning behind it, it doesnt do anything. like, im not asking for huge massive cases like the one i did on icephoenix, but like, bee man, you cant just say this stuff and then leave it at that. explain your thought process. explain why this might be the case. you could be right! you could have solved the game right now! but w/o anything backing it up, i have no reason to agree with you, because i dont know what you're seeing.

so please, guys, explain why you think people are scum. its good! it helps town! it wins games! please!!!!!!!!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Anpu posted:

I want to start today with a very sincere apology to Monathin. Looking back over yesterday I have nothing but shame over my behaviour and conduct, and I came to realise Monathin’s frustration was not only genuine but legitimate.

You may be wondering why I also protected Ice Phoenix, this is because I sincerely believed they were town and when I saw that people who I believed were scum were keen to vote for them, I saw an opportunity to save a town player and buy town some more time.

I know it is a play that people disagree with and I am sorry that it annoyed people. I did what I did because I thought that it was right.

so who were the scum? or was it just me?

do you only have one whole case so far this game?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

oh aside from max and monathin :D

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

The Ninth Layer posted:

I sorta forgot I was in this game, reading through the day 2 stuff I missed now.

no poo poo.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

IcePhoenix posted:

##vote beet

I held off on voting earlier in the day yesterday so that beet would not be too close to hammer and it almost cost us mafioso dearly, I will not make the same mistake today. Thank you Anpu for believing in me.

i'm gonna come hone in on you today because my frustration at anpu's lack of a case only pales in comparison to your own.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Just to recap what I've said on IP so far:

Beetphyxious posted:

Ice Phoenix has just as many posts playing the mini game as they don't, which is sort of lgiht on content however they give more reads than B-minus1 especially on TNL who I want to do next but I'm out of time for now.

those cases being:

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't like this post

##unvote

##vote TNL

IcePhoenix posted:

Honestly my biggest reason for her being at the top of my list was the same thing, she's mentioned before that when she's not town her effort craters because she has trouble "casing" people.

I said I'd give my reasoning on TNL as well so anyway, TNL seems to put a lot of effort into their RP and the post that pinged me is not one I think they would have made if they had a role PM similar to mine.

that's it until i subbed in. then he talks about some video game i think, something about being busy, then

IcePhoenix posted:

Thoughts:

If I had to choose between beet or Anpu I'd probably vote beet, but that's more from my MMT read than anything.

I think that Anpu is town. 3P with a strange win condition could also possibly be an option I suppose.

I believe Max enough to lean town on him for now. I also hate bus drivers though.

I bet Sober got jailed.

something about flavour, lurking and then some role spec about apnu.

still disliking tnl

IcePhoenix posted:

TNL I was already a little suss on though so that's a good callout imo

IcePhoenix posted:

Would still also vote tnl but I doubt that's happening today

which is all well and good, except ice phoenix in 3 days now still has not picked any new targets nor actually provided and real cases or thoughts at to why he's on those two.

tnl is an easy case to make, especially for scum and my current thought is maybe tnl is a convenient bus for IP to fall back on.

IcePhoenix posted:

##vote beet

I held off on voting earlier in the day yesterday so that beet would not be too close to hammer and it almost cost us mafioso dearly, I will not make the same mistake today. Thank you Anpu for believing in me.

theatrics. painfully so.

so at this point i'm gonna jump to slams post:

Slamburger posted:

So we're on Day 3 now and your vote is on beet, the reasons for which you've given as:

MMT requested a replacement on Day 1. People have brought up that MMT doesn't like playing scum so its a meta read that MMT replaced because of a scum role, and therefore beet is scum.

You haven't commented on any of beet's content. He has 111 posts.

Have I misrepresented anything?

IcePhoenix posted:

So? Most of that is just arguing with Anpu. Quantity =/= quality.

Nope

Very town behaviour here, completely unwilling to expand on his argument (or lack thereof) or even justify it beyond the same argument based solely on meta.

ip has no argument, admits he has no argument, refuses to expand on it any further (because there is no argument)

it's like those russian nesting dolls of lovely casing. take apnu off the top and there's icephoenix hiding underneath

then finally there's a change in strategy from IP after being repeatedly poked about it:

IcePhoenix posted:

Flerp how do you feel about my case on TNL

oh look it's tnl again. that's original.

and when flerp couldn't read ip's mind he got a bit cranky:

IcePhoenix posted:

sorry IP, no one can read minds. it's mafia, if you have a case then make it. people aren't going to agree with you if you can't elaborate it yourself and make them do all the work.

that last post is the only evidence of your cases evolving over 3 bloody days! you're still on your day 1 targets for the same day 1 reasons until that post!

so my gut currently is apnu, tnl, ip for scum team, tnl being bussed because they're too absent for some reason.

would vote any of those three (and in that order)

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Beet, how do you feel about Moat?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

You don't have to read my mind beet, just my posts

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

okay deep diving into tnl because i've named them, but unfortunately i can't expand my case much further than yesterday as there hasn't been that much posting

i've called out the RP post earlier as have others, and i'll raise again what sparked my interest yesterday in tnl: the first post to break tnl's roleplaying (aside from a technical confirmation of a mafia edit) was to defend apnu. i kind of find it hard to get past that, which is probably why i'm lumping him in with apnu and icephoenix, idk if that's unfairly so, though?

anyway:

The Ninth Layer posted:

I sorta forgot I was in this game, reading through the day 2 stuff I missed now.

this i found odd considering the effort tnl had put into roleplaying his character i can't easily believe he just 'forgot'. it's a tad dismissive, idk, maybe there's real world poo poo

The Ninth Layer posted:

Sorry everyone I've been trying to work up an appetite for posting but my mafia playing motivation is at a real low right now. I would ask for a replacement if it wasn't day 3. I'll do my best to step it up.

okay could be real world poo poo i guess.

anyway

finally some casing and effort.

to unpack it quickly, it's not super bad. comments in bold

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'll just post the reads I have, none of them are particularly strong, and to be honest I still don't have a real idea of who I want to vote for.

I think Anpu looks scummier after day 2. Less impressed with his posting and overall demeanor, overall I feel he's been very defensive which I tend to think of as a scum trait. :hmmyes: it's the strongest read of this whole post though

If I was around yesterday I would have voted IcePhoenix. I'm not really one to talk about others lurking but what's there beyond the lurking isn't stellar either. easy to say after the fact (the vote) and this just looks like an attempt to throw a bit of shade IP's way.

I liked MMT for scum and have found myself mostly disagreeing with what Beet's been posting. However this is mostly an inherited read and I haven't gotten a particularly scummy impression from Beet's posts nor seen a particularly convincing case here. i like this read :)

I've gotten gut pings from b-minus1 and Monathin at times, b-minus for what feels like just-asking-questions posts that scum do to feign engagement and Monathin for what felt to me like overblown posts about Anpu's claim.

okay, b-minus was an interesting claim and i remembered him being accused of staccato style posting so the questions to look engaging had me interested. however i read back again and i don't get a scum vibe from him at all. his reaction to apnus reveal was quite genuine and dismayed. monathin's posts i don't feel were overblown, i thought they were a good point of frustration around the lack of an actual case... (tbc below on flerp) but they did push a bit on apnus role

I don't think I can remember seeing a Dancer post in the game. yeah okay im gonna do dancer next I'm also having trouble remembering a flerp post although maybe that's because he doesn't have an avatar. and i'm seeing this same frustration from flerp now. i get a town read from flerp and monathin.

I think Slamburger is town, I get a warm fuzzy feeling from the way he is posting. slamburger i'm gonna come back and do a post on as well as I also like Moat for town for the most part.

Ask Me Anything. If you posted a case I'll tell you what I think of it.

while i'm suss on tnl, in putting this post together i wondered if it might be unfair, because if i was to put aside the role playing and lurking the only thing i've got is my rough association of tnl to apnu and ip to tnl. and to be honest, that last tnl post i quoted has more effort in it than anything apnu (since i joined the game) and IP (since, well this whole game) have done.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

anyway it's midnight and time zones make me feel like i'm an angry old man screaming at the clouds. so i'll be back in the morning to post the remainder of those people i wanted to case.

look forward to reading more deadpan humour from apnu when i wake up

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Slamburger posted:

Beet, how do you feel about Moat?

Quick read is that I was suss on them yesterday because they didn't really put in an argument, just seemed to be jumping on the easy vote, however I didn't engage them much because I can only pick so many fights at a time. Today they've done more but I still want to go through their posts tomorrow morning when i do dancers and maybe yours.

Also debating if I have time to do flerp, bminus1 and Monathin, but I'm not that suss on them and I don't think many others are too so yeah, save some effort.

Bed vote: ##vote apun

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I feel like at this point we have to flip either Anpu or Beet just to resolve this stupid dispute.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

flerp posted:

why?

guys, PLEASE, PLEASE just explaing your reasoning. mafia isnt just a game of finding the scum, it's also about convincing others to agree with you so you can get everyone to agree on killing the scum. so when you say stuff like this without any reasoning behind it, it doesnt do anything. like, im not asking for huge massive cases like the one i did on icephoenix, but like, bee man, you cant just say this stuff and then leave it at that. explain your thought process. explain why this might be the case. you could be right! you could have solved the game right now! but w/o anything backing it up, i have no reason to agree with you, because i dont know what you're seeing.

so please, guys, explain why you think people are scum. its good! it helps town! it wins games! please!!!!!!!!

also hey please do this binus, I want to see a case. I've cooled on you a bit but I really do want to see an actual bit of effort.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

##unvote

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Like at this point every single one of my reads is going to have to relate to how they reacted to either Anpu or Beet, given that's our discussion for MULTIPLE days now.

I legitimately don't want to flip Beet unless someone can make a case on them that isn't related to MMT's scum meta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Okay, of all the lurkers I feel like dancer may be the most likely to be scum

I just did a reread and suggest anyone else interested do likewise it really is quite short.

Dancer posted:

Also you vigged me.

##vote mona

Speaking of, Anpu, if you're looking for someone you can trust because they're openly bad at mafia, it's obviously me. I'm about so slam a second vote on someone in jokephase, which people are going to interpret as trying to use a joke-vote to get a bus going, but now that I've said that, people are going to say that I'm being way too defensive and trying to cut off criticism, and then later when jokephase ends and I unvote, people will accuse me of backstepping.

And then when everyone's piling up on me, I'll have a meltdown (whether real or faked, or at least perceived to be faked is yet to be decided), and I'll undoubtedly have one or two "scumslips", which will provide people with further evidence, and by then the entirety of day 1 is almost gone, and I'll be the only person with a significant number of votes, so I will have to be the lynch.

If that isn't terrible mafia play, then I don't know what is :v: .

See this is a joke vote (which he immediately unvotes) but he takes a lot of time to poo poo all over his mafia abilities. He does this several times early on talking about how bad he is at mafia; even going so far as to self vote

Dancer posted:

Welp now I'm hosed. ##vote Dancer

He then cases bminus:

Dancer posted:

I've had a busy few days, and I am a player who absolutely hates to post without up to date on everything being posted, and the amount of noise generated off of a silly game, followed by a slapfight, has been a bit too much. But now is deadline time, so I will post what I can, with the full admission that I haven't read everything (I particularly avoided conversation of slam's game. I find it quite odd that he's claiming he was using it as a scum-hunting tool; it baffles me that someone might think it might be useful as such).

The person who jumps at me the most, due to unjustified confidence, is B-

I happen to agree that Anpu and Max read slightly towny to me (Slam not so much), but what this looks like to me is scum bee seeing Anpu and Slam, and maybe also Max to a lesser extent, having heat on them and setting himself up to be like "see I told you they were town yesterday why didn't you listen" if either of them gets lynched.

You're allowed to call me out on lurking but rofl if you claim those things are excuses. Maybe it's my lack of skills as a writer, but it eludes me how I could possibly make it more obvious that I was being sarcastic, which fits given that this was like a full day before joke-phase ended.

Here, to make it clear: I solemnly swear that I will not at any point in this game quote, or otherwise reference, those posts wherein I made "excuses" (excepting of course for instances like this one where they are explicitly addressed by someone else).

And throws shade at AA and IP:

Dancer posted:

I was about to make a post where I was saying "for the record, I read AA as town [...]", after just reading the thread in sequence... but in hindsight, reading only AA posts, he seems a bit too eager to hop his vote around to whatever seems the best opportunity to lynch someone (presumably a townie) without being held responsible. He pushes slightly on Slam, then changes his mind when it doesn't seem to work. He pushes on Anpu, then backs off again. Then he jumped on MMT when that was in vogue. I'd be willing to vote AA (but I know it's not happening).

Dancer posted:

I am very torn right now between the impulse to vote someone I think is suspect (AA) or a lurker. Who I'd like to vote for is whatever lurker most people have commented on... but that's MMT and I really don't want to vote someone who's about to be replaced.

I think next most is... IcePhoenix? I'd have to re-read the whole thread to get a more accurate idea.

BUT THEN NEVER VOTES ANYONE. It isn't until I call him out on it that he changes it

Dancer posted:

Because why not? What could it possibly matter?

##unvote

##vote GX

Which shows he is around and monitoring the thread and keeping his vote there on purpose.

He then cases bminus again, waffles about anpu and slam and settles in with a vote on anpu and then ghosts the thread

He is even CAUGHT by Max at deadline that day (of the nl) watching thread again and is called out and never comes back.

His last post is one from the wrong game and he hasn't been back since.

If we can't resolve the beet/anpu thing today I think dancer is a good choice for lynch.

• Locked thread