Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

akadajet posted:

tesla is a SCAM and elon musk is a giant FRAUD

woah woah woah! let's give him a chance!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

President Beep posted:

woah woah woah! let's give him a chance!!!

I agree. Too many people have such a disgusting anti-blood jewel Afrikaner billionaire bias, it's disgusting!

:mad:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Schadenboner posted:

But won't that absolutely gently caress their margins (or profit per unit, whatever it's called?) if the denominator fills up with unsalables?
there is such a thing as pushing your problems into the future. tesla needed a pr win NOW, and they got it - they can deal with the fallout later

plus elon still hopes to be cranking our 200k cars/year in the very near future; writing off a couple thousand duds becomes a rounding error in that scenario

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

make more than people want, turn out to be a big lovely, dump then in the desert, cause a giant corporation to crash

"E.T." stood for Elon's Teslas

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

But won't that absolutely gently caress their margins (or profit per unit, whatever it's called?) if the denominator fills up with unsalables?

it's already negative, so what's a little more negative?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

President Beep posted:

ah, the ol' units "produced" versus units "sold" switcharoo

https://twitter.com/jonny290/status/1020048930397188096

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

all this story needs now is a mysterious fire leading to an insurance claim

think of how long a lot of 5000 teslas would burn

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

qirex posted:

all this story needs now is a mysterious fire leading to an insurance claim

think of how long a lot of 5000 teslas would burn

Christ, that might be a China syndrome thing right there.

Is how he plans to build the hyperloop?

:tinfoil:

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

:ssh:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

they already don't follow GAAP (for instance, they added the 500 million dollars they got in $1000 fully-refundable deposits on the model 3 to their revenue figures) so why start now

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sagebrush posted:

they already don't follow GAAP (for instance, they added the 500 million dollars they got in $1000 fully-refundable deposits on the model 3 to their revenue figures) so why start now

But who the hell would fund a company that doesn't use GAAP. What in the literal goddamn?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

But who the hell would fund a company that doesn't use GAAP. What in the literal goddamn?

approximately 100% of silicon valley?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
IM ANGRY. ANGRY ABOUT FIDUCIARY NEGLIGENCE.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

someone find the article where the startup founder is quoted saying "no one is willing to fund you unless you're valued at a billion dollars, so that's where we set our valuation"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FMguru posted:

i see a fair number of model 3s here in the bay area but theyre probably owned by tesla employees

i see a crapload of all their models on 280/101 but mostly it seems to be the S

then again i'm one of those filthy renters in the billionaire enclave of los altos so there's a bias

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

FMguru posted:

there is such a thing as pushing your problems into the future. tesla needed a pr win NOW, and they got it - they can deal with the fallout later

plus elon still hopes to be cranking our 200k cars/year in the very near future; writing off a couple thousand duds becomes a rounding error in that scenario

oh ???

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Suspicious Dish posted:

what does "factory gated" mean i dont know anything about cars

When I read it, I assumed it meant "gated" in the software development sense: "blocked".

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Suspicious Dish posted:

ok i dont understand why they would put a giant sign saying that theyre bad cars on them then

so they don't accidentally sell the cars that are held together with duct tape and chewing gum?

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
my coworker put an order in like a month ago with a 3-5 month delivery estimate.

fast forward to this week, surprise your car is ready! but today he finds out "oh no the windshield is cracked it'll be another 1-3 weeks or maybe we can find you another one"

seems fishy, even given how badly they put cars together.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

so they don't accidentally sell the cars that are held together with duct tape and chewing gum?

but theyre selling model 3s to customers

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
there are a few model 3s/Ss/Xs in my neighborhood but I have no idea if the 3s are expensive or employee owned ones

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
according to that tweet thread they are sending the factory gated cars to tesla dealerships. thats what i didnt figure out. why are they there?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Suspicious Dish posted:

according to that tweet thread they are sending the factory gated cars to tesla dealerships. thats what i didnt figure out. why are they there?

if thats true (i doubt it is, theres a bunch of cars that just straight up vanished) -- then maybe they were supposed to be in the spot in the parking lot where they built the tent?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Benshooter/status/1019789148087992320

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

Schadenboner posted:

ahahahahahahaha

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
lol i didnt see this https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1019471467304513537

"sex act with a mini-sub" lmao

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Suspicious Dish posted:

lol i didnt see this https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1019471467304513537

"sex act with a mini-sub" lmao

lol this is the most constructed misunderstanding since an MP responded to someone tweeting her "get in the sea" with this
https://twitter.com/ThangamMP/status/753963842447761408
(she also called the police and contacted the university of the student who sent it)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its not as funny as the corncobbing thing or 'bend the knee' thing tho

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Schadenboner posted:

What (other than being Teslas) makes them unsellable?

panel gap

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

pre-punctured batteries

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the interior
the lack of replacement parts
the touchscreen
the creepy telemetry
the nissan leaf already exists

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
so is the giggle tent supposed to be a long term thing?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

President Beep posted:

so is the giggle tent supposed to be a long term thing?

it’s where they’re putting together these empty shells

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

haw haw he doesn't know how to use the three hundred thousand empty shells

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/JosephKahn/status/1020083691777736704

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

wow. the rest of that guy’s feed is something else.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Suspicious Dish posted:

during the "bad old days" of 1970s GM, if there was a problem on the line, workers were told to keep going no matter what - throw a loose bumper in the back seat if it couldn't be attached because someone before you in line forgot to put the bumper shocks on, jam a door on even if it won't close - don't stall the line, get it out the door, keep the production numbers up.

they would drive or push every one of these cars into a rework ("waiting for shipping") lot just outside the factory gates, where contractors would go through and do hand rework - basically disassemble the car back to where the problem happened, and then rebuild the car from that point - in a dirt lot.

conversely, toyota's big lean innovation was literally "if something is wrong, any worker can stop the line" which meant that, if a problem was stopping the line a lot, maybe you should loving fix it somewhere up the chain or invent a better process so it doesn't keep stopping the assembly line. as a result, cars didn't need to be hand-reworked by some guy in a shipping yard working without a rulebook, so a consistent level of factory quality was maintained when the vehicle hit the dealership. also, you make no margin on small cars if you are paying for hand rework, so GM aggressively cut the costs on small cars in order to compensate for the fact that a decent portion of them were handmade.

it is one of the many, many ways that toyota comprehensively dominated them, which makes it super funny that NUMMI, the plant that was a joint toyota-GM operation to teach GM how to make cars and basically used GM as a hostage to prevent congress from loving up toyota, is the one that is now being used to make Teslas.

don't know if this is exactly what's going on with that yard, but it sure smells like it.

for more details, David Halberstam's comprehensive 1986 takedown of the entire American auto industry, The Reckoning, is a fantastic read. https://www.amazon.com/Reckoning-David-Halberstam/dp/0688048382

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 20, 2018

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Suspicious Dish posted:

i thought that was the whole point, technically the cars have left the factory so it counts towards numbers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
i guess this was before they thought about putting them in a dirt lot somewhere? still a lot of money to ship a broken car out to a dealership with a sticker on it that says "broken"