Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My response is always "company policy" and if they want to complain then "sorry, company policy, can't help you".

If they continue being a terrible person just tell HR they're purposely trying to break company policy. This is probably one of the only times I like having HR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Yeah the rest of the conversation went fine, she was just SUPER annoyed. I always laugh off that kind of thing. It never gets under my skin? It's just so confusing. What a dumb thing to get mad about.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The gas station down the road has aluminum bottles of domestic beer, 2 for $2 sitting in a big cooler full of ice. Right by the checkout.

I wonder if I could drink those at my desk.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
You can do whatever you want in life.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Bob Morales posted:

The gas station down the road has aluminum bottles of domestic beer, 2 for $2 sitting in a big cooler full of ice. Right by the checkout.

It better be gluten free pal, don't need any of that wheat poo poo in the office!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I have people e-mail me directly all the time asking for password resets because it takes too long for tickets to actually meander their way through their ticketing system and actually get assigned to me. My response is always asking them if they've submitted a ticket request, I'll even be nice and let them get away with forwarding on the ticket request number (since, you know, if they can't log in they can't work). But this is their policy and I'll get reamed for bypassing it. It's not my fault their system is garbage.

I also get the occasional angry e-mail screaming at me that the password I sent doesn't work anymore, to which I normally point out that they probably changed it due to the e-mail that they responded to being the instructions on how to change their password.

If you're wondering how they have my direct e-mail address, it's because I e-mail out their new passwords. Sometimes whoever puts the ticket into the system doesn't assign it to the requestor in the proper way so they don't actually get e-mail when I update the ticket or send a request for more info. Again, ticketing system is garbage

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
We have people email us for password resets from personal email addresses.

Rather than "ignore them and delete the ticket" the policy is "their manager is responsible for maintaining their employees' cell #s, ask the manager for the cell, call the employee, and give them the PW"

I had to drum up support to make that latter policy work.

I can't wait for someone to cryptowall us when whoever swipes their phone gets the request in before the employee can get it replaced and the number moved over.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

MJP posted:

We have people email us for password resets from personal email addresses.

Rather than "ignore them and delete the ticket" the policy is "their manager is responsible for maintaining their employees' cell #s, ask the manager for the cell, call the employee, and give them the PW"

I had to drum up support to make that latter policy work.

I can't wait for someone to cryptowall us when whoever swipes their phone gets the request in before the employee can get it replaced and the number moved over.

Is it just me or does calling to verify identity seem like a fine way to do it?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Bob Morales posted:

Sometimes when I'm walking around the office drinking an Arizona tea I get double takes because people think I'm drinking a tallboy at work. Then they lament it's against company policy to drink in the office. What I'm saying is you'll be fine.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

duz posted:

it's against company policy to drink in the office.

Our policy is that if you're drinking at the office you can't work on production systems and if you get too drunk the company will pay for a taxi/rideshare to get you home safely.

Pretty much every time I'm in the office, I end up getting lunchbeers with a bunch of the engineers and we turn the majority of Friday afternoon into happy hour, it's great.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

duz posted:

Sometimes when I'm walking around the office drinking an Arizona tea I get double takes because people think I'm drinking a tallboy at work. Then they lament it's against company policy to drink in the office. What I'm saying is you'll be fine.

Let me help: https://www.amazon.com/Beer-Can-Cover-6-count/dp/B00M1VBJWY

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

duz posted:

my company usually supplies wine and beer for things like the end of fiscal year 'party', etc. Not unusual for some people to get a little bit tipsy, but they always hold them at the end of the day so it's normally no big deal.

I work remotely now so I don't get any free beer :(

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

nullfunction posted:

Our policy is that if you're drinking at the office you can't work on production systems and if you get too drunk the company will pay for a taxi/rideshare to get you home safely.

Do you work in the 1970s?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

nullfunction posted:

Pretty much every time I'm in the office, I end up getting lunchbeers with a bunch of the engineers and we turn the majority of Friday afternoon into happy hour, it's great.

Before we were bought out, it was like that. But since our parent company owns a ton of warehouses and employs warehouse people, drivers, etc, they just have a blanket ban on alcohol on company property. Luckily there's a bar across the street that is not company property.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

spog posted:

They would have just let you drive home drunk back then.

duz posted:

Before we were bought out, it was like that. But since our parent company owns a ton of warehouses and employs warehouse people, drivers, etc, they just have a blanket ban on alcohol on company property. Luckily there's a bar across the street that is not company property.

My company is the same way. Due to terms of contracts at multiple job sites it was just easier to have a blanket ban on alcohol and drugs.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

spog posted:

The Fool posted:

They would have just let you drive home drunk back then.

:yeah:

We're a company that didn't lose the "startup culture" after we got bigish. It rules in almost every single way.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

The marketing department at my job is day drinking all day every day.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a ticket came in: our accounting program doesn't work!!! P1!!

Legitimate p1, Sage 500 was completely down. Look at the errors, db connection errors and random timeout errors.

Send ticket to the dba's to look into it.

They close the ticket and email c-levels, server needs to be upgraded. A lot of people are not happy with this answer. So I get to wrangle people from multiple teams to track down a viable solution.

Db server is actually not underprovisioned for a change so that's not the problem. A day and a half later I hear a whoops from the DBA... Turns out the db index is increadibly fragmented. He defragments it and everything works great again..

DBA is now in one on one meeting with manager to 'figure out' the RCA

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

DB maintenance scripts are hard

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
someone here blew up the time and expense DB on accident (ran a script intended for the dev environment on prod..somehow, I dunno) and in the process of sorting that out we got to find out that we weren't getting transaction log backups for that DB because once upon a time it was configured for log shipping :shrug:

I feel like an rear end for opening a ticket with the backup vendor asking "why isn't this restore working!" when the answer was "because you have no transaction log backups and can't do a restore to a point in time because of that and no tail log backup" but hey I was pulled in before that all got figured out

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

An employee pulled me aside to ask whether or not I could scrub sensitive, career-ending, information that implicates them in having made a dumb as gently caress decision from our system in case it goes to court.

:yotj: bicth

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Ghostlight posted:

An employee pulled me aside to ask whether or not I could scrub sensitive, career-ending, information that implicates them in having made a dumb as gently caress decision from our system in case it goes to court.

I imagine the answer is no, but can you share more?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Ghostlight posted:

Do tell :munch:

I've been asked something similar before and my was response was "no", followed by "that's not how Gmail works anyway". People are dumb

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
A ticket came in this morning: “work order notifications are not being delivered to technicians from ServiceNow.” Kind of a big deal for us since our main business application is built in servicenow, and we are a service provider type organization.

Due to an “administrative error” aka I hope someone got fired today, our data center provider somehow managed to kill the dns records for their domain. This had some rather unpleasant side effects as we host our external dns with them (in six different datacenters), however when your own domain whois records point to ns1-6.provider.com....

Oddly enough servicenow was the only application that reported issues, it queried and cached a bad response while they had dns hosed up. Time to export the zones to csv and write a little script to import them into Azure DNS!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

nullfunction posted:

My company has beers in the fridge and almost everyone in the office has 1-2 between 3-4:00...every day.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

nullfunction posted:

It is fashionable here to have a fifth of something fancy on your desk out for drive-bys to “sample”. Some folk even have wood casks on their desk for aging their liquor further.

It’s out in the open and no one seems to care one way or another. Again, it’s a function of our org treating its adult professionals like adult professionals. It’s refreshing and one of the reasons why I’ve stuck around as long as I have.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

A developer walked up today and asked me to help them connect an Android tablet they were using for testing to one of the hidden SSID's in the office.
Instead of doing it for them, I googled for "connect android to hidden ssid", clicked on the third link, and repeated the instructions aloud while the developer followed along.

A software developer.
Who probably makes $95k/year.

I swear to god when people come to work they turn their brains off. Like, what do they do at home when their TV won't turn on?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

vas0line posted:

A developer walked up today and asked me to help them connect an Android tablet they were using for testing to one of the hidden SSID's in the office.
Instead of doing it for them, I googled for "connect android to hidden ssid", clicked on the third link, and repeated the instructions aloud while the developer followed along.

A software developer.

I swear to god when people come to work they turn their brains off. Like, what do they do at home when their TV won't turn on?

They call the cable company and complain that their tv isn't on. When asked if they've tried turning it on, they say yes. Cable co. will charge them $30 for someone to come out the next day. Suddenly it seems to work again!

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Agrikk posted:

It is fashionable here to have a fifth of something fancy on your desk out for drive-bys to “sample”. Some folk even have wood casks on their desk for aging their liquor further.

It’s out in the open and no one seems to care one way or another. Again, it’s a function of our org treating its adult professionals like adult professionals. It’s refreshing and one of the reasons why I’ve stuck around as long as I have.

I feel like someone's asked you this before, but what's your take on the article a while ago claiming you were the new sweatshop, everything was awful, people were driven to tears on the reg, etc? Or is AWS very different from the rest of the place?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

duz posted:

I'm cheap and I smoke, so I hand roll. I've gotten a LOT of weird looks, especially early in the morning.

Oh, and for disk space issues: a customer last week had 26.5 MB free. Lucky for her she had about 2 GB in the Recycle Bin. Explorer.exe hates low disk space situations. She's lucky it wasn't blue screening.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ilkhan posted:

My company has beers in the fridge and almost everyone in the office has 1-2 between 3-4:00...every day.

Are you hiring?

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

vas0line posted:

A software developer.

Software engineers are some of the most computer illiterate people on the planet.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Super Soaker Party! posted:

I feel like someone's asked you this before, but what's your take on the article a while ago claiming you were the new sweatshop, everything was awful, people were driven to tears on the reg, etc? Or is AWS very different from the rest of the place?
From what I've been told about Amazon's HQ here it's "fast paced" and "they push you hard" but it's good. Of course literally everywhere says that about itself, but it turns out that what they think is a fast pace is basically just slacking off to a recent graduate.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Super Soaker Party! posted:

IMO these pieces were written with someone with an axe to grind against the company.

I have never, nor do I know anyone who has cried at their desk. I imagine that the higher you get in the corporation and the closer you get to Bezos and Jassy the higher the pressure and the more intense the scrutiny. Kindle Fire? The Fire Phone? The Echo? I bet these pet projects were a pressure cooker of stress.

But AWS is this insanely successful, wildly popular red headed cousin of Amazon and we are left pretty much alone. Meaning we have a lot of autonomy to succeed or fail on our own merit.

Still, I hear that our software development engineers get worked pretty hard with intense timelines. But people come here to build the next Cloud Thing and two years of coding for EC2 and DynamoDB and other services at a scale and scope undreamt of literally anywhere else means you can write your own ticket anywhere.

It’s a huge feather in the cap and I’m constantly offered jobs at Facebook or Apple or Google or Microsoft and turn them down because AWS owns.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Software engineers are some of the most computer illiterate people on the planet.

:cripes:

This is so true.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Sirotan posted:

Are you hiring?
Doubt you are local.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ilkhan posted:

Doubt you are local.

I can be local for you bby

I'm not an alcoholic i swear

Obligatory this is a joke chill out because i hosed up a joke earlier and now i'm paranoid that i'm not funny today but i'm still gonna loving try

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

dogstile posted:

i'm paranoid that i'm not funny today

Why just today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Jaded Burnout posted:

Why just today?