Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shitenshi posted:

Remember when people thought Peri was chilling over in Canada after fleeing the green hand gem ship? Good times.

I mean we have no way of knowing she didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Shitenshi posted:

Remember when people thought Peri was chilling over in Canada after fleeing the green hand gem ship? Good times.

I mean, we weren't all that far off, considering her later obsession with canadian teen soap operas.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I am sad to realize the weird spiked knuckles garnet had were bismuths thing and not that her two wedding rings gave her a new badass weapon upgrade

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
White Diamond is one of the Samurai Pizza Cats.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It's fun watching the fandom elsewhere go apeshit over a pair of eyes.

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

Azza Bamboo posted:

It's fun watching the fandom elsewhere go apeshit over a pair of eyes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/stevenuniverse/comments/90418t/every_day_one_step_closer_to_the_truth/

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

It's fun watching the fandom go apeshit

There's undoubtedly going to be streams of the panel Saturday morning, the question is: which one to watch?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
No matter which all you'll be able to hear is screaming.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The extended intro doesn't sound right without the crowd screaming when Yellow Diamond turns her head

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

please let there be a new intro accompanied entirely by the audience's screams

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
This made me rewatch the extended intro because it's pretty great. It made me realize that the little touch of Steven barely being able to keep pace with the gems and then eventually running in front of them is literally his entire arc on the show and it was there since the first episode.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Did we see anyone using Bismuth's upgrades during the year she was re-bubbled? Not sure if I just didn't notice them again until this episode, or it's a thing that only persists with her presence (teamwork!).

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I just got to those today, Amethyst was all about that ball whip in the very next episode

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hank and Dean Venture

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I just rewatched the episode where pearl melted down because rose never told her about lion and it seemed really much sadder now. Like when it aired it seemed like it was pearl being unreasonable Like she just had a high opinion of herself that she was just so special rose would never not tell her something. Now it seems way more like pearl lived her whole life knowing rose's big secret and rose not trusting her on something stupid DOES seem like a huge betrayal.

Another thing that I like is that rose is drawn super human looking compared to the other gems and that always felt like it was just a concession that they needed her to be the most relatable. But now we know she was specifically a fake persona created specifically to hang out on earth picking the form that looks most human while still being a gem makes actual sense.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Shitenshi posted:

I remember when people thought there was going to be an episode where Peri kidnapped Ronaldo because of a suspicious post on his blog (we never really found out what the deal was with his mystery letter did we? I guess maybe it was his now-girlfriend?)

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

TwoPair posted:

I remember when people thought there was going to be an episode where Peri kidnapped Ronaldo because of a suspicious post on his blog (we never really found out what the deal was with his mystery letter did we? I guess maybe it was his now-girlfriend?)

His now-former girlfriend, anyway.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Ditocoaf posted:

Did we see anyone using Bismuth's upgrades during the year she was re-bubbled? Not sure if I just didn't notice them again until this episode, or it's a thing that only persists with her presence (teamwork!).

Amethyst used her upgraded spike flails during her fight with Jasper, and in other areas as well. But Pearl and Garnet hadn't until Bismuth came back, which I thought was a nice touch.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If you think about it, Bismuth was bubbled during the time that Rose would have been going backwards and forwards between being Pink Diamond and Rose Quartz. After all, Bismuth met Rose but never saw Pink's shattering.

It makes sense that Pink Diamond would have to keep Bismuth's plotted regicide a secret from her Pearl if she wanted to make sure that she could keep going to the Earth as Rose. What was at stake with Bismuth was not Rose's life, but Pearl's confidence to continue to let Pink play pretend as Rose. Especially when you consider that she's obviously White's Pearl, and was probably sent by White to keep an eye on Pink for her. Given Pearl's self doubt to the tune of "I need to be replaced immediately", it's possible that Pearl may have reported to White if she had known someone had the means and the motive to shatter Pink.

It's obvious why she'd hide this from the rest of the crystal gems, but this is why she had to hide it from Pearl also.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 20, 2018

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Madurai posted:

His now-former girlfriend, anyway.

They got back together actually

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

It's a Tezuka homage more than anything else, but nevertheless, [Go Nagai intensifies].

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Turns out White Diamond is Black Jack.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I think someone else pointed this out before here, but just realized that Dove's sponsorship of the show makes it a literal Soap Opera

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

drrockso20 posted:

I think someone else pointed this out before here, but just realized that Dove's sponsorship of the show makes it a literal Soap Opera

There's a thread title in there somewhere.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
fun fact: the studio animating the Dove shorts (Chromosphere) was the studio founded by the show's original art director (Kevin Dart) after he left the show

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

Turns out White Diamond is Black Jack.

Tezuka already has a (mostly) villian named Rock, and he is the worst. :colbert:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So Cartoon Network went ahead and confirmed the most obvious spoiler in the universe: White Diamond... is called White Diamond.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Good ol' No poo poo Department firing on all cylinders.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

There was a post on Reddit following the White Diamond reveal that speculated that White Diamond might be blind given the color of her eyes. Visually, white eyes on a character are often used to signify that they can't see. While her having white irises could be an indicator of that it's worth remembering that the other diamonds also had the color of their eyes match the color of their gems. The difference between White Diamond and the others, though, is that her pupils are also white. Having pure white eyes at least makes the theory more plausible, although it's difficult to imagine that a diamond would let herself have a disability at all, let alone blindness.

edit: at least, that was the color used in the reveal shot. The show likes to dunk on fan theories so there's at least a 60% chance that I'm wrong :v:

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jul 20, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ominous

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

RZApublican posted:

There was a post on Reddit following the White Diamond reveal that speculated that White Diamond might be blind given the color of her eyes. Visually, white eyes on a character are often used to signify that they can't see. While her having white irises could be an indicator of that it's worth remembering that the other diamonds also had the color of their eyes match the color of their gems. The difference between White Diamond and the others, though, is that her pupils are also white. Having pure white eyes at least makes the theory more plausible, although it's difficult to imagine that a diamond would let herself have a disability at all, let alone blindness.

edit: at least, that was the color used in the reveal shot. The show likes to dunk on fan theories so there's at least a 60% chance that I'm wrong :v:

That just sounds like it could be an artistic choice. Solid colour eyes are often used to make a character more alien or ethereal. Although it might be an interesting tack.

I don't think we've had a standard disabled character in the show so far... off-colours aside. Amethyst could be considered to have dwarfism, which is a disability, though she's still healthy by Gem standards and superhuman by human standards. Peridot's lack of abilities could be considered an analogue to childhood neglect, but it's pretty hazy and mostly treated as incidental. Paradascha Sapphire, maybe a mental disability. Well, and Rutile being conjoined twins.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That just sounds like it could be an artistic choice. Solid colour eyes are often used to make a character more alien or ethereal. Although it might be an interesting tack.

I don't think we've had a standard disabled character in the show so far... off-colours aside. Amethyst could be considered to have dwarfism, which is a disability, though she's still healthy by Gem standards and superhuman by human standards. Peridot's lack of abilities could be considered an analogue to childhood neglect, but it's pretty hazy and mostly treated as incidental. Paradascha Sapphire, maybe a mental disability. Well, and Rutile being conjoined twins.

Ah, I didn't think of that. Looking at it further though, her irises are a very-light gray, which while not making completely solid white eyes it comes fairly close. It could be an artistic choice, but the boundary between the iris and pupil makes me think that there could be more to it than that. It would be interesting if both character design interpretations are true, though. If most of White Diamond's body is solid white then having a physical disability hidden by what one would assume to be the standard color of her eyes would be good design/writing.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jul 20, 2018

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The other diamonds have irises that match their diamond colour. It's just consistent.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Azza Bamboo posted:

The other diamonds have irises that match their diamond colour. It's just consistent.

They have black pupils though, and hers are white if the reveal shot is 100% the final character design. Unless you meant the iris part would be the assumption and not the rest of the eye, then yeah, that part is consistency.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jul 20, 2018

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It could be gem cataracts, but my guess is that if you put a black pupil in the middle of a white iris in a cartoon it'll look like she has eyeballs stacked on top of each other so they had to do something to make it look like a single eye.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

nine-gear crow posted:

So Cartoon Network went ahead and confirmed the most obvious spoiler in the universe: White Diamond... is called White Diamond.

I think that was the default assumption for the name but the fact they had shown she exists over and over without ever specifically saying the name made it feel like they were hiding something.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think that was the default assumption for the name but the fact they had shown she exists over and over without ever specifically saying the name made it feel like they were hiding something.

This isn't Gravity Falls, I think SU is okay with strongly implying stuff without expecting it to be too major of a reveal. Not that they haven't had a few of those, but you really need to read between the lines and be a little crazy to predict some of the big twists they've had.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

They got back together actually

When did they show that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Madurai posted:

When did they show that?

It was posted on the Keep Beach City Weird Tumblr.