Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

I remember reading that comic. It is one of my earliest memories of reading any comic ever. I think it was Pan's flute that made him sprout horns and then he decided to dress up as Batman and fight crime because he could fit the horns under Batman's cowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Goatman would have been a much different comic

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Phy posted:

Has a nice ring to it though.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Push El Burrito posted:

Has a nice ring to it though.

:allears:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

He went back to this well in X-Factor with Siryn unable to process Banshee's death since X-Men never stay dead so why bother mourning? As far as I'm aware Banshee is still dead.

He briefly returned in Necrosha but didn't stick around like Cypher did. And maybe again in Uncanny Avengers?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Choco1980 posted:

The flowers being a direct inverse to the red poppies at Flanders representing soldiers dying in combat is some pretty great writing as well.

Aw man, now that hit way harder

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Samuringa posted:

Aw man, now that hit way harder

a few issues later, some members of the cast are hit with what can only be described as a "subliminal nightmare cannon" which blasts their worst fears into their minds. A few of the crew have nightmares about people they care about telling them they're failures and they will amount to nothing, while Megatron is subjected to the death screams of the millions of organic races he murdered just to prove that he was right

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Noted racist Nick Spencer wrote an astoundingly terrible issue of Secret Avengers where Black Widow confronts a tabloid that claimed to know for sure Bucky hadn't died. She proceeded to argue that superheroes constantly coming back to life was somehow worse than if they'd actually died because you just never know.

Worse for the reader, maybe. The characters? Eeeh...

Knowing that any day now my grandmother is going to end up at my doorstep saying "Gotcha!" after letting me know she never died of cancer but it was all a clever ruse, I would just end up pissed rather than sad or confused.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

evilmiera posted:

Worse for the reader, maybe. The characters? Eeeh...

Knowing that any day now my grandmother is going to end up at my doorstep saying "Gotcha!" after letting me know she never died of cancer but it was all a clever ruse, I would just end up pissed rather than sad or confused.

The worst part of that "Actually, immortal supergods have it worse than the common folk" story was that Black Widow absolutely knew at the time that Bucky had faked his death, so she was just bullshitting.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Phy posted:

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

"Hnn, can't be Goat Man. No ring."

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Endless Mike posted:

He went back to this well in X-Factor with Siryn unable to process Banshee's death since X-Men never stay dead so why bother mourning? As far as I'm aware Banshee is still dead.

He was, like, an Apocalypse zombie in Uncanny Avengers, and now in the new Astonishing he seems to be fully back.

That was a good bit in X-Factor, though, where Siryn keeps holding onto it until the birth of her and Madrox's son, where she finally admits it to herself and names the baby in her dad's honor.

And then the baby turns out to be a dupe that Madrox accidentally created inside her while they were loving, and it gets absorbed back into Madrox the first time he holds it.

Senior Woodchuck fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 18, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

He was, like, an Apocalypse zombie in Uncanny Avengers, and now in the new Astonishing he seems to be fully back.

That was a good bit in X-Factor, though, where Siryn keeps holding onto it until the birth of her and Madrox's son, where she finally admits it to herself and names the baby in her dad's honor.

And then the baby turns out to be a dupe that Madrox accidentally created inside her while they were loving, and it gets absorbed back into Madrox the first time he holds it.

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Yay comics

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That is some pretty high grade body horror. Fair play to them.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Senior Woodchuck posted:

That’s a bit worse than having the devil take your baby and marriage away I guess

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Oi I done ate me baby.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Senior Woodchuck posted:

loving hell

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

goatface posted:

That is some pretty high grade body horror. Fair play to them.

They spent a long time building up the story too with alot of them being very excited for the birth so when it happened it hurt so much more.

I remember being disturbed by it when it happened. Now I have two kids and I legit have nightmares about it every so often.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its more his body considered his child a dupe and absorbed him because he was conceived by adupe :smith:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Its more his body considered his child a dupe and absorbed him because he was conceived by adupe :smith:

I don't know if that's better or worse.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
It's kind of amazing the levels that some writers will go to in order to basically hand-wave baby murder by making it technically not baby murder.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's baby manslaughter at worse.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Then Madrox went on to marry his pre-teen child bride, so it's cool.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Vincent posted:

HEY! She got time travel aged up.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Vincent posted:

Wrong kind of touching for the thread imo

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

good day for a bris posted:

HEY! She got time travel aged up.

One Hal Jordan special comin’ right up

e:f;b, and with panels no less

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Imagine writing a comic book for kids where you feel you need to "justify" your main character isn't a child molester because in your infinite wisdom you decided you wanted to pair him up with a child

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nonvalueadded User posted:

One Hal Jordan special comin’ right up

e:f;b, and with panels no less

To be fair I believe it was of the sort where she was in the future for several years and came back older, not the "magically aged up" kind you're referring to

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Given the amount of hoops the Marvel writers jump through in order to avoid letting their characters have children, I'm surprised they haven't found an excuse to retcon Franklin Richards out of existence yet.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Nah, it's just Spiderman who isn't allowed to get older and have kids. Totally unrelateable! But being bodysnatched and waking up to being a billionaire is kosher because:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Nah, it's just Spiderman who isn't allowed to get older and have kids. Totally unrelateable! But being bodysnatched and waking up to being a billionaire is kosher because:

Nah, between the example that was posted above with Siryn and Multiple Man, and the fact that various spawn of Scott Summers keep getting abducted and taken to be raised in the future to become the saviors of all mutantkind, it's kinda clear they don't want the X-Men and their various spin-off teams having kids either.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I mostly just have a chip on my shoulder regarding OMD and how colossally dumb it was.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

W.T. Fits posted:

Given the amount of hoops the Marvel writers jump through in order to avoid letting their characters have children, I'm surprised they haven't found an excuse to retcon Franklin Richards out of existence yet.

They've tried a couple times.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I mostly just have a chip on my shoulder regarding OMD and how colossally dumb it was.

What makes it worse is the series where they did have a kid was amazing. Spider-Dad is so good.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Superman #39: All you need for context is that Superman has temporarily lost his powers but the Daily Planet just got word of a hostage situation so Superman takes off anyway. (Also Jimmy Olsen knows Clark's secret identity but you don't really need to know that)

(I thought about putting this in the badass thread for Superman successfully talking down a shooter via a giant bluff but decided it worked better here.)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Superman #39: All you need for context is that Superman has temporarily lost his powers but the Daily Planet just got word of a hostage situation so Superman takes off anyway. (Also Jimmy Olsen knows Clark's secret identity but you don't really need to know that)

(I thought about putting this in the badass thread for Superman successfully talking down a shooter via a giant bluff but decided it worked better here.)

What are the odds he ran into the one gunman on Earth who didn’t empty the clip on him and then impotently throw the gun at him

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That's old school Superman right there, that's a bluff out of George Reeves' playbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

TwoPair posted:

Didn’t they decide that Superman’s costume was invulnerable? I mean, clearly Superman put his life at risk, if the gunman decided to shoot him in his face.