Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I do not care if he was fake. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Jesse Chavez to the Cubs, per Rosenthal (link is to his tweet.)h

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

GalacticAcid posted:

Jesse Chavez to the Cubs, per Rosenthal (link is to his tweet.)h

https://twitter.com/cubs/status/1020138379780984832?s=21 From the Cubs (Ken didn’t have a name for the player going to the Rangers)

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

sure

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
A 34 year old RHP reliever with less K's than IP and a 4.32 FIP. I mean yeah that's about the level of talent the Cubs can rake in at this point given their farm, but who does he even replace in the pen?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Does anyone else hate how ESPN has to cut to a close-up of some fan whenever something happens in a baseball game? Basically a basehit and then a cutaway to one fan clapping into the camera instead of watching the runner go from 1st to 3rd or the reaction of the players.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I can't believe we traded the most photogenic minor leaguer in history

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

why is every national sports telecast a Referendum on The Game

shut the gently caress up, A-Rod

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
A-Rod is a terrible tv personality

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Sydin posted:

A 34 year old RHP reliever with less K's than IP and a 4.32 FIP. I mean yeah that's about the level of talent the Cubs can rake in at this point given their farm, but who does he even replace in the pen?

Dinger prone as well!
I would assume they take the place of Bass/Norwood but I don't get this move. I'd rather see Norwood or Maples get a chance in low pressure time but maybe they're looking for a long guy to weave in before Joe grinds the pen to dust.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GalacticAcid posted:

A-Rod is a terrible tv personality

He's a great analyst but not good in the booth.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Just an extra competent arm to use the last 2 months so they don't completely burn out Cishek and Strop. Not sure what the big deal is. Would rather have him eating some innings than Norwood or Hancock.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Ooh didn't realize we're getting the return of Strasburg tomorrow vs Actually Good (For Now) Anibal Sanchez, could be interesting

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Jesse Chavez is loving terrible and makes me mad still.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Actually Good (For Now) Anibal Sanchez

Wait, what???

I thought he was released from a minor league contract at the start of the season and just done, didn't even realize he was still in the majors.

In 65.2ip this year he has the lowest WHIP of his career, and a hits/9 almost half of what it was during his last two seasons with the Tigers.

Either this is unsustainable small-sample-size bullshit or we have even more proof that Comerica Park is cursed. Frankly, I'm giving 50/50 odds.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Wait, what???

I thought he was released from a minor league contract at the start of the season and just done, didn't even realize he was still in the majors.

In 65.2ip this year he has the lowest WHIP of his career, and a hits/9 almost half of what it was during his last two seasons with the Tigers.

Either this is unsustainable small-sample-size bullshit or we have even more proof that Comerica Park is cursed. Frankly, I'm giving 50/50 odds.
I'm no expert but everyone says the peripherals are good and anecdotally he's said to be a great influence on the rest of the staff.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I seem to recall hearing theories about Comerica being built on a native graveyard before so maybe there's something to that

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Epic High Five posted:

I seem to recall hearing theories about Comerica being built on a native graveyard before so maybe there's something to that

Jordan Zimmermann just got sucked into a television so I'm moving this theory to the "strong maybe" pile.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

All the talk of "Trout is too boring to be marketable" I hear on sports radio or whatever seems stupid to me. Have all these sports show hosts forgotten that professional writers exist?

If you want to market a guy in some campaign, feed him some lines and film it. "Boring" guys can read a script and come off as funny or whatever. Throw in some celebrities if you want I guess.

It's just a dumb excuse for "we don't know what to do and refuse to listen as well".

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Intruder posted:

I was (barely) in college when he was a rookie :negative:

I remember clear as day watching him throw a bunch of wild pitches in the 2000 NLDS while eating lunch at a pizza place. I was junior in high school. So old.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don’t want a CHUD on the team, I’m already worried enough that Verlander is like one bad week away from wearing a MAGA hat to the game.

Verlander would never do that, he's a Democrat.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
with two outs in the bottom of the 8th

A-Rod: this part of the game is about managing the last 4 outs of the game

who doesn't love his expert analysis

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

goons gonna goon

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

:siren: TEBOW NEWS :siren:

https://twitter.com/TylerFeldman12/status/1020120159175004160

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Baseball can't afford for its most marketable player to be hurt

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
ESPN says Moustakas is headed to the Braves or Red Sox.

I'm still not sure how I'd feel about him on the Braves. Camargo's young and hitting/defending reasonably well but Moustakas is a known commodity. If they can sign him to a long term deal in the offseason and don't have to give the Royals more than, say, Max Fried and another random pitcher i guess I'd be okay with it.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Twenty Four posted:

All the talk of "Trout is too boring to be marketable" I hear on sports radio or whatever seems stupid to me. Have all these sports show hosts forgotten that professional writers exist?

If you want to market a guy in some campaign, feed him some lines and film it. "Boring" guys can read a script and come off as funny or whatever. Throw in some celebrities if you want I guess.

It's just a dumb excuse for "we don't know what to do and refuse to listen as well".

I love the idea of MLB marketing teams and sports writers engineering bizarre situations for Mike Trout to try to make him look more interesting. Make his life a 24/7 Punk'd.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The focus on Trout as the only marketable player is as big if not a bigger issue than his marketability. Trout isn't a big enough personality? Cool, go get Lindor or Betts or Stanton or Gregorius or Bregman or Correa or Puig or Kiké or one of the hundreds of other guys playing baseball who are good and also fun. Every single person on every 40-man seems to play Fortnite every hour they're not at the park HOW HAVE THEY DONE NOTHING WITH THIS?!

I mean, it's not like they're all averse to being in ads with silly premises:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD6BiDgSs5w

Even Brian loving McCann did a great spot for YES when he was with the team:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxU_p_1aUYw

I understand Trout is the best player ever but the point here is to get people to watch baseball, not explain what WAR means.

EDIT: Baseball also has an advantage in that a lot of these guys seem to actually like each other even if they're on rival teams.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 20, 2018

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Inspector_666 posted:

I understand Trout is the best player ever but the point here is to get people to watch baseball, not explain what WAR means.

Actually the idea of somebody watching baseball who doesn't understand WAR infuriates me.

I do think the marketing problem is a bit more than just "MLB needs to focus on the players who are already fun." Baseball itself just isn't built for bringing in new people by getting you interested in any one particular person. Throw your weight behind promoting a starting pitcher? Great, we're excited for 20% of the games. Throw your weight behind a position player? Whoopie, he's on screen for all of 5 minutes in a 3 hour game. Baseball isn't like the other big sports where a star player is out there for more or less half the game.

Promoting entire teams and building rivalries, that's where the marketing push should go. MLB should launch a The Real World style reality show for each team.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Actually the idea of somebody watching baseball who doesn't understand WAR infuriates me.

I do think the marketing problem is a bit more than just "MLB needs to focus on the players who are already fun." Baseball itself just isn't built for bringing in new people by getting you interested in any one particular person. Throw your weight behind promoting a starting pitcher? Great, we're excited for 20% of the games. Throw your weight behind a position player? Whoopie, he's on screen for all of 5 minutes in a 3 hour game. Baseball isn't like the other big sports where a star player is out there for more or less half the game.

Promoting entire teams and building rivalries, that's where the marketing push should go. MLB should launch a The Real World style reality show for each team.

A vast majority of fans neither know what WAR is, nor do they care. Most fans want easy to understand statistics. OPS and WHIP are easy to understand in terms of the advanced statistics. WAR has a different value based on who you ask.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I'm still not sure how I'd feel about him on the Braves. Camargo's young and hitting/defending reasonably well but Moustakas is a known commodity. If they can sign him to a long term deal in the offseason and don't have to give the Royals more than, say, Max Fried and another random pitcher i guess I'd be okay with it.

Please no.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Basically re-create all those old Griffey spots because those made me fall in love with that man.

https://youtu.be/r1kesqDBXh0

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Sounds ok, he might not be outperforming Camargo at the moment but the value is less in replacing Camargo with Moustakas than like Flaherty/Santana bench options with Camargo. Also frees up Camargo to spell Dansby if he goes cold again.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Is anyone else in the majors overperforming their projections to Anibal Sanchez’s degree? Can’t think of one.

Camargo is all-around as good as Moustakas now and so much cheaper. I don’t get the fixation.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

iospace posted:

A vast majority of fans neither know what WAR is, nor do they care. Most fans want easy to understand statistics. OPS and WHIP are easy to understand in terms of the advanced statistics. WAR has a different value based on who you ask.

WAR, what is it good for?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

lol

YOU WILL ENJOY THIS LEISURE ACTIVITY THE SAME WAY I DO OR ELSE

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Whooping Crabs posted:

WAR, what is it good for?

:downsrim:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bewbies posted:

lol

YOU WILL ENJOY THIS LEISURE ACTIVITY THE SAME WAY I DO OR ELSE

"Why don't more people like baseball? Oh well back to furiously gatekeeping."

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Albies and Acuna could probably be a media duo sensation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Remember when Brett Gardner threw a sad about players wearing nicknames on their backs for one stinking day and the crusty old sportswriters were on his side yet now it's Mike Trout's fault for not being fun enough

• Locked thread