Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Gay Horney posted:

cindy dandois was the fighter that really brought to the surface my deep distaste for women's mma. i guess i vaguely hope cyborg power bombs her through the mat. the 145lb division is conceptually insane to me.

https://streamable.com/br9u6
I maintain that Alexis Davis should have been cut for not literally murdering Cindy Dandois in the octagon, and am proud of my handsome steroided son Cyborg for trying to fix Alexis's mistakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
Fun Fact: Cindy Dandois has a win over Megan Anderson, the giant woman who was supposed to be a "credible" threat to Cyborg

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i have come over to Keven's way of thinking: someone needs to take a bunch of steroids and fight Cyborg, that dude needs his rear end beat

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i have come over to Keven's way of thinking: someone needs to take a bunch of steroids and fight Cyborg, that dude needs his rear end beat

keven always right lol

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

MysteryNad posted:

Fun Fact: Cindy Dandois has a win over Megan Anderson, the giant woman who was supposed to be a "credible" threat to Cyborg

The same person who got Fitched by Holly Holm :laugh:

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
id rather see till vs woodley if till can even make the weight. strip covington of the interim belt lol

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
why are two no names even in the conversation at ww. theres like 10 legendary guys in the division

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Colbys going after Matt Serra now hahaha.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Nierbo posted:

Colbys going after Matt Serra now hahaha.

Lol link?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v8_1jVupM4

skip to 4:20

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Thanks. I tend to like Serra so I hope if it does kick off irl Serra's weight works for him and not against him.

What was the jibe about his failing business? Is Serra/Longo in trouble?

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Shevchenko is only a -550 favorite? That still seems like free money, I was thinking it was going to be at least -800. Unless she is grievously injured in training, I can't imagine this being competitive.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Acinonyx posted:

Shevchenko is only a -550 favorite? That still seems like free money, I was thinking it was going to be at least -800. Unless she is grievously injured in training, I can't imagine this being competitive.

Schevchenko should be a -5000 favorite.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

"Roguelikes"*

*Latest Fad

Bundt Cake posted:

why are two no names even in the conversation at ww. theres like 10 legendary guys in the division

i think all the legendary guys are coming off losses. the whole divison's kind of in the poo poo at the moment.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bundt Cake posted:

Those guys are old and keep losing to Wonderman, Covington and Till.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Gay Horney posted:

cindy dandois was the fighter that really brought to the surface my deep distaste for women's mma. i guess i vaguely hope cyborg power bombs her through the mat. the 145lb division is conceptually insane to me.

https://streamable.com/br9u6

look at this poo poo. look at it. look at her hold her loving face out there in front of her body completely still while she throws kicks and does the YYYYY MM C A with her hands. discustinjg

Oh God that's Cindy Dandois? holy gently caress she is the worst. How did she beat Megan?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

That's some Gold Belt level poo poo.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Grem posted:

Oh God that's Cindy Dandois? holy gently caress she is the worst. How did she beat Megan?

Dandois still looked lost on her feet in that fight but took Anderson down repeatedly and she dominated on the ground, eventually getting a triangle.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Qweefington

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
WW was a fantastic, prestige division for a long time. And then, suddenly, seemingly the whole old guard was either retired, on the brink of retired, in Bellator for some loving reason or coming off a loss to Colby Covington.

It's sort of what happened to LHW, but it seems to have happened a lot faster.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
it seems axiomatic that his full name would then be Qwolby Qweefington and yet that doesn't seem right somehow

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Snowman_McK posted:

WW was a fantastic, prestige division for a long time. And then, suddenly, seemingly the whole old guard was either retired, on the brink of retired, in Bellator for some loving reason or coming off a loss to Colby Covington.

It's sort of what happened to LHW, but it seems to have happened a lot faster.

The spiders in Georges St-Pierre’s brain finally reached his cerebral cortex, and made him see aliens until he had to quit and go back to being French for a while. Hendricks was defeated by a combination of store-bought steaks and the USADA. We had a brief hurrah with Robbie’s fun little run, but that led us into the Woodley era, God help us.

It was a brutal fall from whatever passes for grace in this sport.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

People used to whinge about GSP's reign.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Once again I’m reminded that I wish Rory was back in the UFC and I did not appreciate him enough when he was there because he looked and sounded like a weird creeper.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

The Woodley Era isn't as bad as you make it out to sound. He has had some bad fights but also good fights too. If GSP had to fight Demian Maia and a cowardly ineffectual Wonderboy then his fights might have been better than Woodley's but not by a lot. I think the depth of contendership is just weak right now by comparison to 5-8 years ago.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Hendricks was defeated by a combination of store-bought steaks and the USADA.

Carne USADA

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.wwe.com/shows/wwenxt/article/cain-velasquez-wwe-performance-center-visit?sf193970272=1

loving lol

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Bluedeanie posted:

The Woodley Era isn't as bad as you make it out to sound. He has had some bad fights but also good fights too. If GSP had to fight Demian Maia and a cowardly ineffectual Wonderboy then his fights might have been better than Woodley's but not by a lot. I think the depth of contendership is just weak right now by comparison to 5-8 years ago.

Gsp would have closed distance and beaten up Wonderboy on the ground. People would have complained because GSP owned him so hard from bell to bell it was boring.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Oh and Anderson Silva also had a fight with Maia in which he sniped from the outside and defended takedowns for 25 minutes (and played air guitar). 5 years after the end of the Woodley era, people will watch highlight reels of him knocking dudes down and forget about the long, slow grinds in the middle.

That being said, gently caress Tyron Woodley, but extra gently caress Covington.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

CommonShore posted:

People used to whinge about GSP's reign.

I wasn’t one of them. I always looked forward to his fights.

Bluedeanie posted:

The Woodley Era isn't as bad as you make it out to sound.

No, it kind of sucks. Lawler, Hughes, St-Pierre, Penn, even Hendricks and Serra. Woodley is easily the least exciting and compelling champion Welterweight has had in 15+ years. You’re saying he hasn’t had good opponents, and that might be part of it, but what does it matter? If he’s not making fun fights, he’s not making fun fights. I disagree that Georges wouldn’t have made better fights with those same opponents.

Have you actually been excited for a single Woodley defense? When was the last time you were stoked for any Woodley fight, at all? I’d say 2016, for Woodley vs. Lawler. Before that, probably Woodley vs. MacDonald.

Six months ago, I was defending Woodley with basically the same verbiage: “It’s not as bad as you make it sound.” Then, I realized that when I think of watching a Woodley fight, my primary feeling about it is, “Ugh.”

If Woodley suddenly starts having exciting fights, I’ll be glad to get on board. Right now, I just don’t care if I ever see him fight, again.

lol

CommonShore posted:

5 years after the end of the Woodley era, people will watch highlight reels of him knocking dudes down and forget about the long, slow grinds in the middle.

There’s truth in this. It’s not like Woodley hasn’t done cool poo poo, it’s just that the gaps in between are boring as hell.

Edit: The best appearance Woodley has put in in the last three years was his starring role in Keven’s joke about open mic night.

Veni Vidi Ameche! fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 20, 2018

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I was excited for the first Wonderboy fight. I was indifferent for the rematch and I was not looking forward to the Maia fight because it was a fivr round Demian Maia fight and those tend to look a certain kind of way.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
gently caress Tyron Woodley

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The spiders in Georges St-Pierre’s brain finally reached his cerebral cortex, and made him see aliens until he had to quit and go back to being French for a while. Hendricks was defeated by a combination of store-bought steaks and the USADA. We had a brief hurrah with Robbie’s fun little run, but that led us into the Woodley era, God help us.

It was a brutal fall from whatever passes for grace in this sport.

It's inevitable that some fighters age out of their prime, but WW has a surprising lack of new talent. There are fewer cool new fighters rising than there are old guys leaving.

Speaking of cool new fighters, have there been any updates on Holloway's status?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

This means Brock will wrestle him in WWE, right?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
honestly all of the developed welterweights are in Bellator. Koreshkov, Lima, Rory and possibly MVP would instantly make Welterweight the most competitive division.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Snowman_McK posted:

It's inevitable that some fighters age out of their prime, but WW has a surprising lack of new talent. There are fewer cool new fighters rising than there are old guys leaving.

Speaking of cool new fighters, have there been any updates on Holloway's status?

I was thinking specifically of champions and belt defenses, but now that you mention it, there does seem to be a little bit of a drought at all levels.

I also would like to know how Holloway is doing. He is cool, and I hope his brain is OK.

Gay Horney posted:

honestly all of the developed welterweights are in Bellator. Koreshkov, Lima, Rory and possibly MVP would instantly make Welterweight the most competitive division.

Letting Rory go was ridiculous. That fight with Lawler, by itself, should have secured him a seat at the table as long as he could walk into the ring under his own power.

Edit: Octagon(r)(tm) patent pending

Veni Vidi Ameche! fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 20, 2018

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Talent exchange program in full swing

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I was thinking specifically of champions and belt defenses, but now that you mention it, there does seem to be a little bit of a drought at all levels.

I also would like to know how Holloway is doing. He is cool, and I hope his brain is OK.

Letting Rory go was ridiculous. That fight with Lawler, by itself, should have secured him a seat at the table as long as he could walk into the ring under his own power.

Edit: Octagon(r)(tm) patent pending

I remember when him and Mousassi were let go, there was a sentiment here and elsewhere that 'they don't sell seats on their own' and that's true. It's also true of most of their champions. However, the UFC used to be in a really strong position not only due to having the best guy as the champion, but also the next 10 best guys. That way, you know the champ is legit, and you can know whether contenders are legit. As much as Jon Fitch didn't sell PPVs, Hendricks knocking him out made Hendricks impossible to ignore, ditto for Koscheck getting clobbered by Robbie.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok here's a question -

What's your vote for the fight that wasn't a big deal when it happened, but which now (or even just later) would produce ridiculous excitement.

My vote is for Holloway-Poirier. I just rewatched it and Max looks pretty good in it, all things considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Talent exchange program in full swing

Dana: Here's Mighty Mouse, you can do great things with him on your cruiserweight show.
Vince: Awesome, when do you want him back?
Operator: The number. you have called. is. no longer. in service.

• Locked thread