Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Panty Saluter posted:

Was anyone that mad about it? I admit I only glanced at the comments but it didn't seem like anyone was bothered

Nah I'm just been edgy. But its also true that audiophiles enjoy hating integrated PC audio regardless of the actual quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BurritoJustice posted:

Cheers for the response. Is there anything I should look for in desk stands? Just foam isolators or should I go for one of the more boxy, elevated type?

Ideally you want them elevated so the tweeters are at ear level. Don't bother with foam pads if you don't have them directly on your table.

I have mine on wooden risers, with just the ordinary rubber feet. It works great.

quote:

I'm having another issue where one of the outputs of the 2i4 seems to be quieter than the other, which leads to noticeable channel imbalance. Hopefully not a hardware issue, though I imagine it might be a cheap repair? The bloke who sold it to me said he'll take it back for what I paid if I end up not wanting it due to the issue, so worst case I just have to find another preamp.

That definitely sounds like something is wrong, I don't think there's any sort of balance control on the 2i4.

Have you checked by switching the monitors around?

quote:

Did I get a good deal if I got two as-new Alpha 80s, the 2i4, and all the interconnects (seem pretty quality) for 950AUD (~700USD). They sound pretty loving awesome to me but I imagine anything in this category would.

Yeah, I think so. Those are seriously good monitors.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What are the wooden risers you're using? I was thinking of building something from Ikea parts but all the cool ones I saw are made from stuff they stopped producing.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

synthetik posted:

I’ve been using the Auralex MoPads for years just sitting on risers and never had a problem. My cat jumps on top of the monitors and they don’t budge.

Drunk people are another story though.

drat they are nice looking! I am curious about how they lean the monitor forward, some lean them back and some are flat. Is there a compelling difference between the three? At around the same price I can get some of these which seem probably easier to knock over but much more isolating. I'm a tall bastard so the extra height probably wouldn't go astray, but they are a bit ugly.

KozmoNaut posted:

Ideally you want them elevated so the tweeters are at ear level. Don't bother with foam pads if you don't have them directly on your table.

I have mine on wooden risers, with just the ordinary rubber feet. It works great.

They came with preinstalled rubber feet so I might look into solid risers. I probably need the added height to get the tweeters to ear level as I am 6'3". I'm staying with my parents at the moment so they are on a different desk and with a different chair to what I usually use, but with this temp setup it seems like I'd need around 25cm of elevation.

quote:

That definitely sounds like something is wrong, I don't think there's any sort of balance control on the 2i4.

Have you checked by switching the monitors around?

Yeah whichever monitor is coming out of the 1st TRRS out is quieter, if I use the +6dB gain on the quieter monitor then it makes it just barely above the volume of the other so it isn't an insignificant difference. I am pretty sure at this point that it's unfortunately faulty, but I don't know if I have the money to give it back to the bloke then buy something similar (he'd give me $150 back for it, they retail for $289 locally). I guess temporarily I could use the unbalanced outputs, I'd have to go rob the TV to try it and see if they experience the same imbalance.

quote:

Yeah, I think so. Those are seriously good monitors.

That's good to hear, it was a bit of a jump for me to grab them over HS8's; they are recommended literally everywhere and I couldn't find as much support for the Focals (but raving reviews almost universally).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is it possible someone has messed around with something in software that you can’t see? I used to have a Focusrite FireWire interface, and there were definitely things I could change in the software on my Mac that it would remember even when used standalone.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is it possible someone has messed around with something in software that you can’t see? I used to have a Focusrite FireWire interface, and there were definitely things I could change in the software on my Mac that it would remember even when used standalone.

The included driver just gives me this , I can see that the second gen 2i4 has a more complex interface for tweaking things. Is there some other software I should be checking?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Lowness 72 posted:

What are the wooden risers you're using? I was thinking of building something from Ikea parts but all the cool ones I saw are made from stuff they stopped producing.

Just some DIY things I built from plywood and painted black. Just boxes with no top and bottom.

A basic H shape or something is probably even easier.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah looking on their website, they don’t seem to have a full software suite for that model (MixControl seems to be the more modern version of what I used to have, but it doesn’t come up when I choose the 2i4) so doesn’t seem like that could be it sorry.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

BurritoJustice posted:

drat they are nice looking! I am curious about how they lean the monitor forward, some lean them back and some are flat. Is there a compelling difference between the three? At around the same price I can get some of these which seem probably easier to knock over but much more isolating. I'm a tall bastard so the extra height probably wouldn't go astray, but they are a bit ugly.

I use have them in the tilted forward config since my stands are fairly high and I sit low. You would use them whichever way puts your ears directly in the sweet spot.

This is the setup for my 2.1 mixing console.

I can add the other piece if I wanted them flat.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
For that focusrite problem, try find a factory reset procedure for the box, check the mixing software (may be set to rca level instead of pro level, or have some cut in a pre-loaded mix), clean the jacks, and if all else fails just run a cut on the good channel instead of a boost on the bad channel. 6db is nothing.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Also when you say "included software" where did you get it? That screenshot is of an asio control panel, not focusrite's mixing software. I think you're missing that part.

Also check the windows sound mixer, there's a balance setting in there too

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah when I brought up the software possibility, I then looked at Focusrites site and the full suite I used to have isn’t offered for that particular box, just a driver. Which is odd given that it looks like it has enough features to warrant a proper panel.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

Also when you say "included software" where did you get it? That screenshot is of an asio control panel, not focusrite's mixing software. I think you're missing that part.

Also check the windows sound mixer, there's a balance setting in there too

Unfortunately I have a first gen 2i4 and it doesn't support the more comprehensive control panel that the second gen does. What should I be using? The closest thing is on the registration page it comes with a version of Ableton live. I don't know if it has onboard settings that could have transferred from before I bought it, but it doesn't seem to.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

That's really weird, and seems like an oversight on focusrite's part. It'd be worth an email to their support team.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I think you've got to go with the seller's offer of taking it back for $150. You're presumably not interested in any of its features beyond dac duties, some other thingy covering that role can be found.

edit: Like the M-Audio M-Track should typically retail for about CAD $99.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 6, 2018

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

I think you've got to go with the seller's offer of taking it back for $150. You're presumably not interested in any of its features beyond dac duties, some other thingy covering that role can be found.

edit: Like the M-Audio M-Track should typically retail for about CAD $99.

I am having one last go at Focusrite Support before I sell it back. I actually have musical friends that are super keen to use the guitar/mic/midi stuff so I would probably try for something relatively similar. I'm in Aus and the m-track seems around 160 here, to the Scarlett brand new at $268.

Are there any interfaces that have a good headphone out (mainly output impedance around 1ohm instead of 10), because I have a tonne of low impedance headphones that sound poo poo out of 10ohm jacks. Short of having to get a headphone amp with preamp outs like a Schiit Jotunheim or Topping DX7s.

E: Focusrite said that it should be under warranty based off the serial number, just need to contact the local office in office hours, so in two days. We'll see how that goes. The rep appeared to have no doubt it was a hardware issue from the description.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 7, 2018

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Re: headphone output

Both my UR28M and Komplete Audio 6 have great headphone outputs, with easy to use physical controls.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm a huge fan of my Scarlett 2i2, as I use Mackie MR5s as my computer speakers, so I need balanced outputs and a volume knob.

Sorry your unit is not doing good.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Update on 2i4 drama. I'm returning it for a refund and getting a 6i6 as it's only $29 more at the moment. Going to get a separate headphone amplifier when needed in the future, using the extra balanced lineouts on the 6i6.

E: having a hell of a time getting the 6i6 to run over 48khz 256 buffer without popping and clicking, where my 2i4 would run 96/64 fine. Weird. disabling the HDMI audio controller on my GPUs fixed this, for whatever reason

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 10, 2018

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

quote:

The ______ was developed to improve the efficiency of the ______ by enhancing the physical-chemical properties of ______ within its assembly system. The foundation of the Fusion ______ is a steel alloy covered and decorated with a layer of precious 18K gold: the ______ is made more viscous on the ______ of the ______ because the thermal conductivity of the precious metal plate will heat the underlying steel – the higher temperature makes the ______ flow more smoothly. The combination of gold and steel on the ______ ______ gives it a unique and appealing look. It is strong and durable for long ______ sessions – much more so than solid gold ______. Hence, the ______ ______ is more precious and at the same time less expensive!

It's a pen.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I bought some Fluid Audio DS8 studio monitor stands, and they are pretty loving good. The build quality is average and it is pretty DIY (four sheets of MDF, plastic legs, 16 screws etc), but for a third of the price of equivalent IsoAcoustics I am pretty happy. Audio nirvana right now.

I really want some reference/linear cans now that I am sold on the sound of studio monitors, has anyone got any thoughts on the ATH-R70x? They are decently cheap locally and seem to compete with the HD6XX well.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Maybe try the headphone thread and not the mocking people thread? Haven't tried either myself.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

The headphone thread is lost to bullshit in my experience, but best of luck

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

BurritoJustice posted:

I bought some Fluid Audio DS8 studio monitor stands, and they are pretty loving good. The build quality is average and it is pretty DIY (four sheets of MDF, plastic legs, 16 screws etc), but for a third of the price of equivalent IsoAcoustics I am pretty happy. Audio nirvana right now.

I really want some reference/linear cans now that I am sold on the sound of studio monitors, has anyone got any thoughts on the ATH-R70x? They are decently cheap locally and seem to compete with the HD6XX well.

Hahaha! People are scammed into spending 90 dollars on stupid little stands! Audiophiles are idiots.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Back on topic. Anyone feel like spending $150 a pop on fuses for their stereo?

http://www.synergisticresearch.com/fuses/black/

THERE IS QUANTUM TUNNELING GUYS, IT'S LEGIT. Also, directional AND require a burn-in phase of 200-300 hours. (KILL ME)

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Of all the audiophile woo woo, burn in might confuse me the most. Like, if a product has peak performance after 200 - 300 hours of pink noise blasted though it, why wouldn't the manufacturer do it at the factory?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

bigman.50grand posted:

Of all the audiophile woo woo, burn in might confuse me the most. Like, if a product has peak performance after 200 - 300 hours of pink noise blasted though it, why wouldn't the manufacturer do it at the factory?
Not that I really believe the claim, but that adds, you know, 200-300 hours of production time per unit, and now they need to store all these products while doing the burn-in, and so forth. "it would cost us a lot more money to do it" seems like a good reason for the manufacturer to skip that step, even if it actually worked.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

bigman.50grand posted:

Well...it's sort of a genius way of guaranteeing satisfaction. The kind of person that spend 150 dollars on a fuse is definitely the type to say "it's not quite burned in yet" to a friend that is like "I can't hear poo poo it's not doing anything".

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

Zereth posted:

Not that I really believe the claim, but that adds, you know, 200-300 hours of production time per unit, and now they need to store all these products while doing the burn-in, and so forth. "it would cost us a lot more money to do it" seems like a good reason for the manufacturer to skip that step, even if it actually worked.

I get that, but I think it would be just as easy for any manufacturer to just market it as "burned in with clean power/JO crystals for x hours!" and add extra 0's to the price tag as necessary.

DoesNotCompute posted:

Well...it's sort of a genius way of guaranteeing satisfaction. The kind of person that spend 150 dollars on a fuse is definitely the type to say "it's not quite burned in yet" to a friend that is like "I can't hear poo poo it's not doing anything".

This I buy, just a never ending game of "is it done yet?" until you convince yourself it's money well spent.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Burn-in aka how to make sure the mark keeps their bought POS until their refund/CC chargeback window closes.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 20, 2018

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

ItBreathes posted:

Maybe try the headphone thread and not the mocking people thread? Haven't tried either myself.

I've found that the posters in this thread, hardened by torrents of audiophool poo poo, to be pretty helpful. I was following up on an earlier post, but it was off topic. My bad.

LRADIKAL posted:

Hahaha! People are scammed into spending 90 dollars on stupid little stands! Audiophiles are idiots.

Man they are pricey as gently caress in America, I paid about as much as the foam stands that were recommended to me earlier cost.

Actual content, if you're making your bean water with regular rear end copper cables you are missing out on a lot of palate extension.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
I.... what?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DoesNotCompute posted:

Back on topic. Anyone feel like spending $150 a pop on fuses for their stereo?

http://www.synergisticresearch.com/fuses/black/

THERE IS QUANTUM TUNNELING GUYS, IT'S LEGIT. Also, directional AND require a burn-in phase of 200-300 hours. (KILL ME)

Directional.

Fuses.

Directional.

Fuses.

This is (most likely than not) used on an AC signal. A type of electricity, that by it's nature, is bidirectional.

Jesus loving christ they know they're ripping schmucks off.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

bigman.50grand posted:

As mentioned, time and effort.

'burn in' is only a legit thing on speakers/drivers where they're actual mechanical devices and then it doesn't take long to loosen them up a bit.

I bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 headphones a few years back and right out of the box they sounded like poo poo on songs I know really well, they were all a bit high end heavy with no lows. I plugged them into my laptop, fired pink noise at them for half an hour at a decent volume and after that they sounded great. Applying this same strategy to anything other than a mechanical diaphragm is madness though.

a busted-up mailbox
Dec 14, 2012

bigman.50grand posted:

Audeze does burn in their headphones at the factory in an attempt to please their buyers. It's pointless because audiophiles then claim that they need to be burned in even more.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Some of the audiophile manufacturers do claim x burn in at the factory, but they usually will say that it's both already perfect, and if you don't think so they get better if they burn in more.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

bigman.50grand posted:

"burned in with clean power/JO crystals for x hours!"

*Now with 100% less gay stuff!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BurritoJustice posted:

Man they are pricey as gently caress in America, I paid about as much as the foam stands that were recommended to me earlier cost.

I used $7 yoga blocks as speaker stands, I think they use the same material anyway as those foam stands, except I don't have to pay $$$ to the marketing people which is always a plus in my book.

It even comes in wood grain texture!

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Palladium posted:

Burn-in aka how to make sure the mark keeps their bought POS until their refund/CC chargeback window closes.

ding ding ding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

is there a corpus of bullshit audio words somewhere? I'm trying to build a script to score forum posts for shits