Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

AWarmBody posted:

What do you all use the large jars of pesto for? I keep seeing them, and I'm so tempted to buy it, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to use it all

Noodles? You can probably put a little bit on a salad to add some flavor. Put it on a slice of crusty bread and add some parm cheese and toast it? Probably lots of things you can do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Pasta, sammiches, pesto garlic breadsticks

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

AWarmBody posted:

What do you all use the large jars of pesto for? I keep seeing them, and I'm so tempted to buy it, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to use it all

goes good on anything bread or pasta. pesto doesnt go bad so you can buy a big jar and it will last you for a while. like my big jar of costco minced garlic.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Squashy Nipples posted:

Right! Remember, in all negotiations, to consider the relative experience of the counter parties: the car salesmen do this literally every day, all day long, and you'll do it maybe 5-10 times in your life, *IF* you are wealthy?

All you can do as a consumer is recognize when they are using bullshit tactics on you (leaving you waiting forever while they "go talk to the manager", or that stupid 4 square thing), and call them out on it.

You assume that car salepeeps do this as a whole career. Turnover in auto sales positions is usually ~66% per annum. Many lots have >150% turnover rate, comparable to fast food. So you can definitely encounter complete buttfuck noobs.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Rutibex posted:

goes good on anything bread or pasta. pesto doesnt go bad so you can buy a big jar and it will last you for a while. like my big jar of costco minced garlic.

Woah really? I thought pesto went bad within a week or so.

This... this changes things.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

AWarmBody posted:

Mini naan, sliced fresh tomato, mozzarella, pesto. Cheap mini pizza, all Costco.

Can of Kirkland's tomato sauce, a big ol' scoop of pesto, garlic. Cheaper than a jar of Prego.

Dip a string cheese in it for a quick snack.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Woah really? I thought pesto went bad within a week or so.

This... this changes things.

Same. I thought it went bad in a few days and saw that jar would be insurmountable. My eyes are opened

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I dont know if the pesto is still on sale, but last time I went a few weeks ago it was like $4.xx for a can, which is like 50% savings :eyepop:

But yeah they last a solid 3-4 weeks I think before you'd be concerned about it. Probably would toss after a month though. Again, pasta, sandwiches (goes well with the croissants) are probably the best uses.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
You can also freeze pesto for later use IIRC.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Chinatown posted:

You can also freeze pesto for later use IIRC.

Can definitely freeze it for future use, if you freeze it in ice cube trays then dump them in a plastic bag once frozen it's portioned for easy use. It also makes a pretty good topping for roasted chicken and fish.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Xaris posted:

I dont know if the pesto is still on sale, but last time I went a few weeks ago it was like $4.xx for a can, which is like 50% savings :eyepop:

Again, pasta, sandwiches (goes well with the croissants) are probably the best uses.

It's usually around 8 bucks and is 5 bucks right now. And yeah they are still discounting it as of today.

While not 50% off, it's a great deal especially because Kirkland products have a limited profit attached to them (something like 10-15% if I remember right) so theoretically that pricing means that they are losing money on the pesto as a loss leader.

That's why Kirkland stuff, when it goes on sale, is usually only discounted by a dollar or two. The margins are small.

Taima fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 20, 2018

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Taima posted:

It's usually around 8 bucks and is 5 bucks right now. And yeah they are still discounting it as of today.

While not 50% off, it's a great deal especially because Kirkland products have a limited profit attached to them (something like 10-15% if I remember right) so theoretically that pricing means that they are losing money on the pesto as a loss leader.

That's why Kirkland stuff, when it goes on sale, is usually only discounted by a dollar or two. The margins are small.

Supposedly Costco doesn't loss-lead, but they also supposedly don't mark up more than 15%, maybe the margins on some Kirkland stuff is higher.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Taima posted:

They are likely getting a rebate from the manufacturer to move product if it is priced below wholesale cost

Unless it's Kirkland brand in which case ???

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Sampled some pine-nut hummus the other day. Bought some.

Two days later, early dinner at 5, and had some hummus on pita chips at about 9pm.

3am, puking. By morning, I'm fine.

:(

Expiration date is September, so I don't know what's up. Someone else come over and eat from this container, I need more data.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
*looks in pantry, sees ten jars of Kirkland pesto* PBUC!

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

AWarmBody posted:

I add a teaspoon of the pesto to the pan when I’m cooking eggs and it is DELICIOUS :gary: also goes well as a topping for fried eggs.

There’s also this super delicious spinach and pesto quinoa recipe if eggs aren’t your thing: https://www.tablefortwoblog.com/15-minute-spinach-pesto-quinoa-bowl/. All ingredients can be found at Costco!

I’ve got a sous vide for the weekend and am heading to church today for some meatmeatmeatmeat. Very excited!!!!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Also makes a great cold pasta salad.

We tossed two pounds of fusilli with some cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, Kirkland pesto and parmesan and a splash of reserved pasta water for a party on the fourth and had to sheepishly admit the secret was Costco brand pesto when everyone asked for the recipe.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Geoj posted:

Also makes a great cold pasta salad.

We tossed two pounds of fusilli with some cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, Kirkland pesto and parmesan and a splash of reserved pasta water for a party on the fourth and had to sheepishly admit the secret was Costco brand pesto when everyone asked for the recipe.

All these ingredients are available at Costco. PBUC.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Here's what you can put pesto on : everything.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream
What are the thoughts on the jeans they sell? Kirkland, Urban and Buffalo. And who makes the Kirkland jeans?

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Beautiful insight on the pesto, everyone. I am inspired!

Can't speak for the Kirkie jeans, but I like the Kirkland shorts and boxers that are available. Fabric feels nice and they're good staples. I feel too weirded out about buying women's clothing at Costco (or any place with groceries), but who knows what the future holds

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
I bought a pair of the urban jeans because they were on sale and they're super comfortable because of the stretchy material they make them out of. I'm probably gonna get some more when I actually need them.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Yeah the stretchy jeans are nice, but I keep thinking back to this exchange I had like 4 years ago...

GIRL: Oh, hey, are you wearing stretch jeans?

ME: Yeah, they're nice.

GIRL: Yeah they're cool, but like... I mean... I thought those were basically for women?? Just weird to see a man wear them.

ME: Yikes, really?

Ever since then I've wondered if it's wack for guys to wear stretch jeans, but I haven't really looked into it. Anyways, that's my story about stretch jeans.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

gently caress that, stretchy pants are amazing.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

lol what kind of rear end in a top hat starts bagging on people's clothes unprompted

she was super jealous of your stretchy jeans

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Hah! I mean fair enough but I don't think she was upset about it. More bewildered/curious.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Did you then proceed to tell her your feelings on ketchup? And dogs?

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

I'm sitting here at a restaurant and the people at the table are talking about that dollar fifty dog.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Coredump posted:

Did you then proceed to tell her your feelings on ketchup? And dogs?

HAHAHAHA oh man you're still mad about that? I just looked in the post history and there it was.

Yes, ketchup on hot dogs is for children. Sorry that makes you mad still.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

luchajones posted:

What are the thoughts on the jeans they sell? Kirkland, Urban and Buffalo. And who makes the Kirkland jeans?

The only sizes my local one carries are for short fat people, so I've never tried them. I wish I could wear them though, because they are really cheap.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Taima posted:

HAHAHAHA oh man you're still mad about that? I just looked in the post history and there it was.

So is Nintendo.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I bought the urban star ones for years but they cannot hold up to my coarse scrotum and all wear out in the crotch. Gonna have to try one of the others

I will say though the stretch is pretty loving liberating especially when you do, well, anything

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

Taima posted:

This is true; I've only eaten ketchup with hot dog when the dogs were sliced up so I wouldn't choke.
Ketchup is just too sweet for dogs.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I might go to church tomorrow and take. communion but I haven't decided

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Try a heaping helping of onions next to your dog my dudes... and nothing else!!!!! It’s great! PBUC

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I might go to church tomorrow and take. communion but I haven't decided

Consider this your confession and your sins absolved. Now go eat from the table.

Don’t sin again before partaking.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
shittt, poke bowls now in San Antonio, bought a pound a of that tasty tuna and made some sushi rice and sliced avacado. Happy wife.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Grem posted:

So is Nintendo.

I disagree that Nintendo is only for children, but if you believe that, then more power to you, I'm not worried how you live your life or what you believe.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Bum the Sad posted:

shittt, poke bowls now in San Antonio, bought a pound a of that tasty tuna and made some sushi rice and sliced avacado. Happy wife.

Poke is sooo good! You did well.

I highly suggest learning to make your own poke if you are trying to eat it regularly. The Costco price is a bit steep. If you buy salmon or tuna steaks from costco (and know how to pick your steaks/fillets) you can get away with making your own for quite a bit less- and also have sashimi quality fish on the side, as you get that cut if you buy the steak but not if you buy the poke alone. Overall you are getting close to double the value, between the sashimi and extra tuna.

As for salmon poke, the gold standard recipe IMO is this one from Serious Eats that features macadamia nuts and fried shallots and it's just ridiculously good:
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/06/salmon-poke-macadamia-nut-fried-shallot-recipe.html

At this point my fiancee can barely live without poke or sushi once a week, and it's not as hard as you probably think.

e: I would be happy to explain any of this to you if you would like a hand. I've been hand picking tuna and salmon steaks at Costco for a decade at this point.

Taima fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
Been pretty scatterbrained lately and left my wallet in the shopping cart after I put my groceries away. I didn’t realize until it was missing until hours later. My wallet was waiting for me at Costco’s lost and found. PBUC.