Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hello thread!

I have a question that I hope is not one that has been asked a lot so apologies if this is the case.

I love Movies with Mikey/Filmjoy for the specific reason that he is so positive about it and the way he delves into them fascinates me. Sadly I have exhausted his content.

I also quite like CinemaWins for similar reasons but mostly prefer the bit at the end when he has stopped tallying during the film - because that is the more explatory part.

I adore that kind of stuff and I would like to know if there are any other reviewers who are similar in their positivity discussing movies? It is the atmosphere I like the most and I am quite tired of all the sarcastic/angry reviewers that seem to be around.

Even video games/books/TV if they have that kind of analysis I am absolutely down for that.

Thank you kindly everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

VideoGames posted:

Hello thread!

I have a question that I hope is not one that has been asked a lot so apologies if this is the case.

I love Movies with Mikey/Filmjoy for the specific reason that he is so positive about it and the way he delves into them fascinates me. Sadly I have exhausted his content.

I also quite like CinemaWins for similar reasons but mostly prefer the bit at the end when he has stopped tallying during the film - because that is the more explatory part.

I adore that kind of stuff and I would like to know if there are any other reviewers who are similar in their positivity discussing movies? It is the atmosphere I like the most and I am quite tired of all the sarcastic/angry reviewers that seem to be around.

Even video games/books/TV if they have that kind of analysis I am absolutely down for that.

HBomberguy's recent video on Lovecraft, while broadly about Lovecraft, partially focuses specifically on a film called Cthulhu and how his opinion on it gained new dimensions in the years after he saw it, and even in his more negative videos (Fallout 3 and Sherlock) there's an underlying passion and desire to understand that often isn't there in the more "this movie needs to be punished for misbehaving, and I am Judge Judy and executioner" types of reviewer.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I Before E posted:

HBomberguy's recent video on Lovecraft, while broadly about Lovecraft, partially focuses specifically on a film called Cthulhu and how his opinion on it gained new dimensions in the years after he saw it, and even in his more negative videos (Fallout 3 and Sherlock) there's an underlying passion and desire to understand that often isn't there in the more "this movie needs to be punished for misbehaving, and I am Judge Judy and executioner" types of reviewer.

Oh I should have said I am a huge Hbombs fan :D I love his stuff too and the Lovecraft one was massively touching. (Lady VG and I get excited when a new one pops up and we promise to watch it together! 15 thousand dollars!!!)

I think the word I was looking for was joy. Joy at talking about these things. Things with joy.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I assume you're already familiar with May/NyxFears, at least from her appearance on the latest Deep Dive, but if you haven't checked out her channel I'd also recommend that. Even when she's talking about movies she didn't necessarily have a positive experience with, there's still that same sort of desire to understand I mentioned with Hbomb that comes out as a sort of fascination/joy of bewilderment.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Patrick Willems does a lot of fun movie stuff, eg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSq0308_g7c

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

I Before E posted:

Please tell me you understand the idiom is ‘judge, jury, and executioner,’ and that you were making a joke.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

VanSandman posted:

Please tell me you understand the idiom is ‘judge, jury, and executioner,’ and that you were making a joke.

(It is a Hot Fuzz joke :D )

Also thank you both I will check them out!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

VanSandman posted:

It's a Hot Fuzz reference, I was indeed joking.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i wish I didn't know you were making a reference because that made me laugh hard

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

VideoGames posted:

Hello thread!

You might enjoy Red Letter Media's ReView series. It's the most chill and upbeat series on their channel because they focus on their most loved films. (Except The Thing prequel, but that was a footnote to their discussion of the original John Carpenter film.)

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Lindsay Ellis can be critical sometimes but a lot of her work tends towards the positive.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Thank you both! I have watched a few re:views so I should get back to that and I have not ever seen a Lindsay Ellis video but I definitely know who she is!

I realise my request sounded a bit strange. I love critical thinking and analysis and absolutely pointing out strangeness and whatnot.

I still am not 100% sure I have conveyed what it was I was looking for. I think if you were to watch the tone of the World's End/Hot Fuzz/Shaun of the Dead Movies with Mikey videos he sort of celebrates the films, and celebrates what they did for him.

Hearing somebody speak passionately with a positive atmosphere is something I really dig and in turn makes me want to create things myself. I sort of wanted that and I think some of the suggestions probably do fall into that line :)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

If you haven't seen the Every Frame A Painting videos, they're all pretty overwhelmingly passionate/positive and well worth watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FOzD4Sfgag

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

PushingUpRoses is another critic with a positive attitude. She talks about video games rather than movies, though; mostly PC games from the 90s, or modern ones that try to emulate that style. I find her videos interesting because I didn’t have a computer back then, so they’re a window onto an era of PC gaming I didn’t see firsthand.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ysMcJoRqeU

Good Bad or Bad Bad covers Love on a Leash, a film about a dog that wants to gently caress human women.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I don't think he gets brought up much nowadays (and regrettably, I've been neglecting to watch his recent stuff), but Derek Alexander is a pretty upbeat dude. He runs Stop Skeletons From Fighting, which does a bunch of videos covering game ports and peripherals. Prior to that, he did the Happy Video Game Nerd (HVGN). As you can guess, it was like the AVGN, but instead he talked about good games that were cult classics or undiscovered gems.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 20, 2018

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

I Before E posted:

It's a Hot Fuzz reference, I was indeed joking.

I’ve never been so glad to be whooshed.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

rudecyrus posted:

Good Bad or Bad Bad covers Love on a Leash, a film about a dog that wants to gently caress human women.

I didn't recognise the name of the film at all, but 5 seconds in as soon as I heard the name "Alvin Flang" I immediately remembered this thing from one of Ralph's videos. I think it came up in an older version of this thread, even.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVJXZJAy0Dw

interesting Alanah Pearce video about why EA does its E3 press conferences the way it does. its about stakeholders mostly. other companies do different stuff because they have different structures.

also i agree with the first comment.

quote:

I always find EA's "Charity" segment to be really insulting. Its always the same pattern, and it stinks of them using Causes to prop themselves up.
1. Announce something lovely everyone hates
2. Point out their charity contribution to soften the blow

it always feels sadly hollow. i mean bioware does a good job, mostly.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 20, 2018

adamcantsleep
Mar 20, 2016

Max Wilco posted:

I don't think he gets brought up much nowadays (and regrettably, I've been neglecting to watch his recent stuff), but Derek Alexander is a pretty upbeat dude. He runs Stop Skeletons From Fighting, which does a bunch of videos covering game ports and peripherals. Prior to that, he did the Happy Video Game Nerd (HVGN). As you can guess, it was like the AVGN, but instead he talked about good games that were cult classics or undiscovered gems.

SSFF deserves way more attention. For his "old shame" HVGN stuff, I'd recommend all his Splatterhouse videos. The vids on Mighty No. 9 might be the most interesting vid since the rebranding.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Bakeneko posted:

PushingUpRoses is another critic with a positive attitude. She talks about video games rather than movies, though; mostly PC games from the 90s, or modern ones that try to emulate that style. I find her videos interesting because I didn’t have a computer back then, so they’re a window onto an era of PC gaming I didn’t see firsthand.

She's been doing a few videos about movies, too, occasionally.

Here's a video about Clue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBjYfSh7tZw

Here's a shorter one about House on Haunted Hill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmc6CT46JVo

Very spoilery, of course.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

adamcantsleep posted:

SSFF deserves way more attention. For his "old shame" HVGN stuff, I'd recommend all his Splatterhouse videos. The vids on Mighty No. 9 might be the most interesting vid since the rebranding.

Yeah, even as someone who's pretty into Mega Man and knew most of the details, he was very comprehensive and had some information on comcept and its subsidiaries I wasn't aware of.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Ugh. I just found out that ArmouredSkeptic is Canadian (in hindsight I think the U in Armoured should have been the tip off). I feel like I've just been diagnosed with flesh-eating herpes.

Why does my beautiful country keep exporting all of it's vile shitheads southward? (It's because they can't hack it in Canada, while the US is a buyer's market for awful people)

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

(It's because they can't hack it in Canada, while the US is a buyer's market for awful people)

Sorry.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

nine-gear crow posted:

Ugh. I just found out that ArmouredSkeptic is Canadian (in hindsight I think the U in Armoured should have been the tip off). I feel like I've just been diagnosed with flesh-eating herpes.

Why does my beautiful country keep exporting all of it's vile shitheads southward? (It's because they can't hack it in Canada, while the US is a buyer's market for awful people)

Lauren Southern is the best example of why their poo poo doesn't fly up here (as much).

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

nine-gear crow posted:

I have a theory that it's because American conservatism is visibly shifting away from old school religious conservatism to a conservatism that more fixated on crass nationalism, Trump really comes across as one of the most irreligious politicians in recent American history, at least to an outsider like me.

As a result American conservatism starts to look similar to conservatism in Britain or Canada which are less focused on religion and certain cultural issues like gay rights than the bible thumpers of years past (less focused, it's still there to a degree). So guys from Britain or Canada like AS or Sargon are more appealing to a newer audience of Alt-righters who have little love or interest in the religious basis of American conservative rhetoric of the past, beyond some watery concern about 'Judeo-Christian values', and instead are more interested in the eternal battle against scary immigrants and antifa super-soldiers out to destroy Western civilization.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Canadian and British conservatives exemplify the concern trolling side of the far right. Jordan Peterson has made millions off of his gotcha whataboutism rants about the dangers of women not marrying incels.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

I want to live in the alternate universe where Rowan Atkinson played Wadsworth.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Canadian and British conservatives exemplify the concern trolling side of the far right. Jordan Peterson has made millions off of his gotcha whataboutism rants about the dangers of women not marrying incels.

Government-mandated girlfriends for everyone!

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

VideoGames posted:

Thank you both! I have watched a few re:views so I should get back to that and I have not ever seen a Lindsay Ellis video but I definitely know who she is!

I realise my request sounded a bit strange. I love critical thinking and analysis and absolutely pointing out strangeness and whatnot.

I still am not 100% sure I have conveyed what it was I was looking for. I think if you were to watch the tone of the World's End/Hot Fuzz/Shaun of the Dead Movies with Mikey videos he sort of celebrates the films, and celebrates what they did for him.

Hearing somebody speak passionately with a positive atmosphere is something I really dig and in turn makes me want to create things myself. I sort of wanted that and I think some of the suggestions probably do fall into that line :)

Kinda surprised that no-one has mentioned Lupa's Movie Nights yet. I think she fits into what you're looking for - she genuinely loves the shite she covers! :)

Also several of her reviews have sent her on astonishing adventures, such as Sinbad: Battle of the Dark Knights and the legendary Dean Stockwell Dryer lint portrait.

As further content: Please observe Linkara's attempts to keep the zombie corpses of 2010-era internet reviews alive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKRlFtTT5Jo

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
American Gun Culture and Death Wish | Renegade Cut: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bbf3GX0rc8

Obligatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYOjWnS4cMY

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jul 21, 2018

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

It’s been a pretty bad couple of weeks up here.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/hate-is-alive-here-wife-of-beaten-mississauga-man-speaks-out-after-attack-1.4751217

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/43pxqg/video-shows-man-blocking-person-of-colour-from-leaving-store-for-being-an-illegal-alien

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I saw the second one, I had no idea about the first one. God drat :negative:

You would think the rash of Permit Patties and Coupon Carls getting publicly humiliated and losing their jobs for being documentedly racist would kind of deter these morons, but I guess there’s no force in the universe stronger than terrified white fragility.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Charmed Season 9 Comics by Movie Nights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46NmN8Q5Jpg and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsuFRb4BWCo

I've been waiting for this. :getin:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

nine-gear crow posted:

I saw the second one, I had no idea about the first one. God drat :negative:

You would think the rash of Permit Patties and Coupon Carls getting publicly humiliated and losing their jobs for being documentedly racist would kind of deter these morons, but I guess there’s no force in the universe stronger than terrified white fragility.

stupidity is infectious, and the only vaccine is too drat expensive

at least we don't have a massive enough number of fragile white egos to vote conservative idiots into public office... oh wait :negative:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
when you've extremely learned from the last time you conflated two opposite sides as equally to blame for bad things

https://twitter.com/FlyingOverTr0ut/status/1020752096147263488

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

when you've extremely learned from the last time you conflated two opposite sides as equally to blame for bad things

https://twitter.com/FlyingOverTr0ut/status/1020752096147263488

Dude's a big chud, people gotta stop giving him the benefit of the doubt

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Boogie incredibly terrible and awful. Brace for impact, new KimJus Meltdown incoming.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ash Crimson posted:

Dude's a big chud, people gotta stop giving him the benefit of the doubt

I still wonder why this thread brings Boogie at all aside from wanting a punching bag? Like, I can't think of a single video of his that's been posted here? Even after people started posting his tweets they haven't included any of his content. Which makes me think they just want to point and laugh at Boogie for posting stupid hot takes, and that's kinda whatever, can you at least post some content so the thread doesn't devolve into another bigot watch thread without any kind of positive contribution to someone's day? This page was doing pretty well with that and I'd like to see that trend continue. Thanks.

Here's Channel Criswell deconstructing the writing in Charlie Kaufman movies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52xMUEGZ2mk&hd=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I still wonder why this thread brings Boogie at all aside from wanting a punching bag? Like, I can't think of a single video of his that's been posted here? Even after people started posting his tweets they haven't included any of his content. Which makes me think they just want to point and laugh at Boogie for posting stupid hot takes, and that's kinda whatever, can you at least post some content so the thread doesn't devolve into another bigot watch thread without any kind of positive contribution to someone's day? This page was doing pretty well with that and I'd like to see that trend continue. Thanks.

Here's Channel Criswell deconstructing the writing in Charlie Kaufman movies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52xMUEGZ2mk&hd=1

What are you trying to say?

Boogie is an internet personality and thus worthy of discussion