Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
JCD emailed and said in no uncertain terms do do bring our invoice to the port so? It’s my first import what do u do?

Edit: I haven’t gotten my pile of crap from Majesta in mail yet I just got an email saying boat would be here soon. Can y’all help a bro out and tell me what do? I’m not lying the email said do not show anyone your invoice from us.

everdave fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

There's probably either a crate of counterfeit phones or a ton of fentanyl in your car right now.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

KakerMix posted:

I want to point out that it has a Mini Disc player head unit. So Japanese.

this is rad and if you want to sell it holler at me; for some reason I'm still using Minidisc. at one point I had a Panasonic HU which took both CDs and Minidiscs (in the same slot no less) but it poo poo the bed back in 2005 or so

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

everdave posted:

JCD emailed and said in no uncertain terms do do bring our invoice to the port so? It’s my first import what do u do?

Edit: I haven’t gotten my pile of crap from Majesta in mail yet I just got an email saying boat would be here soon. Can y’all help a bro out and tell me what do? I’m not lying the email said do not show anyone your invoice from us.

Are you US or international? You need to get an import broker. Call your CBP office and ask who they recommend.

What I think JCD might be trying to do by having you hide your proforma is for a type of importing (formal vs informal). To do an informal the value must be less than 2,500. What I am guessing is they have a fabricated amount on the commercial invoice with the packet of papers that they will lail you.

Imo, call an import broker today and get your 10+2 filed, it's late. Then tell them you need the rest of the paperwork filled out as well. As far as the importing the cost difference is like $100 in bonds, and the difference in duties. If it were me I would just import it correctly, especially if you intend to resell people ask to see all the paperwork. Plus it's less liability (import fraud has no statute of limitations).

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Are you US or international? You need to get an import broker. Call your CBP office and ask who they recommend.

What I think JCD might be trying to do by having you hide your proforma is for a type of importing (formal vs informal). To do an informal the value must be less than 2,500. What I am guessing is they have a fabricated amount on the commercial invoice with the packet of papers that they will lail you.

Imo, call an import broker today and get your 10+2 filed, it's late. Then tell them you need the rest of the paperwork filled out as well. As far as the importing the cost difference is like $100 in bonds, and the difference in duties. If it were me I would just import it correctly, especially if you intend to resell people ask to see all the paperwork. Plus it's less liability (import fraud has no statute of limitations).

The car was only $945 Plus all the fees. Who do you use can you PM me?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol all that sounds like a giant pain in the rear end for a cheap car. I'd almost be tempted to say keep the drat thing and leave me alone.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

everdave posted:

The car was only $945 Plus all the fees. Who do you use can you PM me?

Unless your car is coming into the Port of Tacoma my broker will be of no help to you.

https://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports

Find your port, call the office. Tell them your are importing a vehicle, and ask who they recommend as an import broker. The agent I spoke with gave me a printed list, then wrote the name of another one and said "We really like this person". If the agent you are dealing with does that, use that broker.

Also I can sit here an opine on what JCD is trying to do, but all I/we know is they have a poor at best knowledge of US import laws. Just talk to Matt or Yoshi and ask them why they are so concerned with the invoice thing.

edit: Here is who I use, Gwen knows her poo poo and deals with way bigger importers than myself. Maybe they do other ports, maybe not. http://soundbrokerage.com/SoundBrokerage/Welcome.html

Lord of Garbagemen fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 20, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Coming into Savannah. If I don’t call today I’ll call Monday when I’m sitting on a beach. I have done everything on the up and up so not sure about this message from JCD. Thanks man.

I’ve talked to port authority this is kind of a mess. I’ve got some info to follow up on.

everdave fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 20, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

Yeah, which is why both the Rugger and Land Cruiser had those KO2s put on, strictly for aesthetics. They are also good tires too of course but it certainly helped selling them.

EDIT
Costco has KO2s for 137 a piece, not bad.

:mrwhite:

That's the AZ-1?
That looks more like a leaky window or top keeping the carpet wet and rusting from the inside out.
Source: my '70 Olds Cutlass, a Southern car all it's life, with holes in the driver's footwell from a leaking windshield.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Darchangel posted:

That's the AZ-1?
That looks more like a leaky window or top keeping the carpet wet and rusting from the inside out.
Source: my '70 Olds Cutlass, a Southern car all it's life, with holes in the driver's footwell from a leaking windshield.

It is the AZ-1, yeah. It isn't a leaking window or anything though, at least I can not find any evidence of water coming in with the (tiny) windows up and the doors close. No mold or mildew in the fabrics. What is a possibility though is those circle shapes in the first and second pictures: The driver's side has rusted enough to have a hole that would allow water to shoot right up into the floor. The passenger side is similar but the circle has moved completely free from it's position. I'm not exactly sure why it's built this way but those metal circles are epoxied into the floor, like they get punched out of the floor then glued back, not welded. I've got a floorboard POR15 kit on the way that should take care of this no problem. I've got to see if I can loosen that metal brace that's bolted to either side though to get full access to the corrosion.

Did you know that the AZ-1 floor is incredibly thin? It is!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If it's anything like my Cappo, slightly leaky seal from a windscreen replacement. Doesn't show up as a "leak" if you turn a hosepipe on the car etc, but gets the moisture in there.

Not sure how you'd find it without stripping the interior entirely

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

InitialDave posted:

Not sure how you'd find it without stripping the interior entirely

Not a bad idea, given the state of it. :v:

That sucks to find though. :( Car was looking pretty good after a buff.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Larrymer posted:

Not a bad idea, given the state of it. :v:

That sucks to find though. :( Car was looking pretty good after a buff.

Everything else is clean, just water got in that area and sat getting through the floor. Easy enough to fix, no other holes, corrosion or rust anywhere else. I'll see if I can find any water ingress through the windshield.
The only other thing that probably has to be done is the belts, I can't find any indication of if they've ever been changed, the belt around the alternator looks a bit rough and were just over 100k kms which is the interval to replace the timing belt. Wonder if I have to drop the engine to get access to it....

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
KakerMix, today I had to pull the shackles from my cruiser's rear leaf springs. Considering there's a line item for 24 bushings on the invoice the PO gave me with the truck, I wasn't surprised by how easy they came out, but I was surprised to find out the original shackle hardware was "re-used" because the bushings had never actually been replaced. Shop charged the PO for all 24 and only did the front 12.

Now I need to buy a greaseable shackle kit and bushings and hope I can get them by next weekend or that old poo poo has to go back on.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

It is the AZ-1, yeah. It isn't a leaking window or anything though, at least I can not find any evidence of water coming in with the (tiny) windows up and the doors close. No mold or mildew in the fabrics. What is a possibility though is those circle shapes in the first and second pictures: The driver's side has rusted enough to have a hole that would allow water to shoot right up into the floor. The passenger side is similar but the circle has moved completely free from it's position. I'm not exactly sure why it's built this way but those metal circles are epoxied into the floor, like they get punched out of the floor then glued back, not welded. I've got a floorboard POR15 kit on the way that should take care of this no problem. I've got to see if I can loosen that metal brace that's bolted to either side though to get full access to the corrosion.

Did you know that the AZ-1 floor is incredibly thin? It is!

Those knockouts are common. I think it has something to do with the rust treatment/primer draining out of the floor pan after the body is immersed during production. My ‘70 Cutlass and my ‘79 RX-7 both have floor plugs. The Cutlass’ are steel, held in with seam sealer, one in each footwell, front and rear, and the RX-7 has rubber plugs in both front foot wells. Not sure about the rear. I have to fix the drivers side one in the RX-7. Apparently it has a leak over the 10 years it’s sat, and therefore rust.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fermented Tinal posted:

KakerMix, today I had to pull the shackles from my cruiser's rear leaf springs. Considering there's a line item for 24 bushings on the invoice the PO gave me with the truck, I wasn't surprised by how easy they came out, but I was surprised to find out the original shackle hardware was "re-used" because the bushings had never actually been replaced. Shop charged the PO for all 24 and only did the front 12.

Now I need to buy a greaseable shackle kit and bushings and hope I can get them by next weekend or that old poo poo has to go back on.

You going to tell the previous owner? I think I might just so they know.

Darchangel posted:

Those knockouts are common. I think it has something to do with the rust treatment/primer draining out of the floor pan after the body is immersed during production. My ‘70 Cutlass and my ‘79 RX-7 both have floor plugs. The Cutlass’ are steel, held in with seam sealer, one in each footwell, front and rear, and the RX-7 has rubber plugs in both front foot wells. Not sure about the rear. I have to fix the drivers side one in the RX-7. Apparently it has a leak over the 10 years it’s sat, and therefore rust.

Makes sense. Also makes sense that the water can have come from there and just sat in the floor.

Today I went to replace the ball studs and door struts on the AZ-1 because they are all bad, forever. It's been figured out though that trunk struts for the VW Pheaton are usable in this instance you just have to replace the ball studs. I've got everything, I'm ready to go, and:

:negative:

They are all supposed to be the one on the left, which is what I ordered and is correct. The one on the right is wrong and bad and won't work. More wait time I guess.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

You going to tell the previous owner? I think I might just so they know.

I've sent him a few emails in the past and never got a response. He was older and not exactly healthy-looking when I bought the truck from him. He sold it to me because he got a younger woman pregnant and had to support a kid despite being retired and in his late 60s or early 70s and this was seven years ago. He may have passed away or just doesn't want the reminder that he gave up his retirement ride to put a new roof over his daughter's head.

E: As a reminder to those who don't recall me posting the earlier-mentioned invoice in my original thread, the shop that did this hackjob scumbaggery was Napa AutoPro in Thorndale run by Dave Versteegh. I have no problems calling this rear end in a top hat out because he's ruined more than a few land cruisers.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 22, 2018

Frank Dux
Jun 19, 2005

Kakermix may I get the info of the person you used prior for your import broker? I'm in Florida as well and got a car coming via JCD as well.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Frank Dux posted:

Kakermix may I get the info of the person you used prior for your import broker? I'm in Florida as well and got a car coming via JCD as well.

Sent you a PM and also WHAT CAR???

EDIT

For those of you that don't read the 'what did you do to your ride' thread I did this to the AZ-1 a couple days ago:

Frank Dux
Jun 19, 2005

Thanks for the info man. I bought a 93 MR2 Gt-s. I was originally looking for an R32 but browsing the auctions this Toyota caught my eye. The auction grade was listed as 4.5 and I've owned an 1st and 2nd gen MR2 prior so I have a kind of obsession with these cars. This photo was taken at the auction by JCD. I can post more pics if anyone wants to see more.

edit: I would LOVE to see your stable of badass JDMness in person. Goddamn that Mazda cleans up super clean!!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Frank Dux fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 22, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Frank Dux posted:

Thanks for the info man. I bought a 93 MR2 Gt-s. I was originally looking for an R32 but browsing the auctions this Toyota caught my eye. The auction grade was listed as 4.5 and I've owned an 1st and 2nd gen MR2 prior so I have a kind of obsession with these cars. This photo was taken at the auction by JCD. I can post more pics if anyone wants to see more.

edit: I would LOVE to see your stable of badass JDMness in person. Goddamn that Mazda cleans up super clean!!

Of course we all want to see more pics, the higher the rest the better. If you don't already have the port pictures then chances are those will be the best ones you'll get before you get your hands on the car.

Hey: Who wants to go on a 5 minute ride in the AZ-1?????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0tqoo4JIXw

*bov noise*

Frank Dux
Jun 19, 2005

Here's some more pics from the auction. Apparently the car is essentially stock except for a Fujitsobo exhaust and some unknown brand coilovers. The car's got some 17 inch Keiichi Tsuchiya rims too.

Frank Dux fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 22, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's beautiful.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

You know... If someone DID LS swap that FJ75 cruiser it wouldnt be a bad thing. Replacing the absolute boat anchor 3F motor with ANYTHING is an improvement.

FZJ70's do exist... They come with the 4.5L 1FZ-FE DOHC 6 cylinder in them, which absolutely LOVE turbocharging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTKnoAUDz_o&t=18s

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

KakerMix posted:

Of course we all want to see more pics, the higher the rest the better. If you don't already have the port pictures then chances are those will be the best ones you'll get before you get your hands on the car.

*bov noise*

*Florida man drives manual car in flip flops* :negative:

That engine note has a BMW straight six thing going on, until the bov of course. Good job on the paint, that must have taken ages, Porter cable?

E: I'm the tiny little horn nipple dead-center of the expanse of steering wheel.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wow that cleaned up pretty good, too bad about the fender missing paint. And too bad about that steering wheel, I hope you have a new one ordered already :v:

Are you looking for a stock driver's seat? I imagine they are probably close to impossible to find.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Looks great!

BloodBag posted:

That engine note has a BMW straight six thing going on, until the bov of course. Good job on the paint, that must have taken ages, Porter cable?

E: I'm the tiny little horn nipple dead-center of the expanse of steering wheel.

By hand :negative:
I'm ordering up that porter cable wheel though because lmao @ doing this by hand all the time. Flip flops own and it was a short drive.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Wow that cleaned up pretty good, too bad about the fender missing paint. And too bad about that steering wheel, I hope you have a new one ordered already :v:

Are you looking for a stock driver's seat? I imagine they are probably close to impossible to find.

OEM steering wheels are easy enough to find but yeah, seats are tough. However: https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c679282946
I'd jump on this in a heartbeat (even though my passenger seat is perfect) but I'm having a difficult time figuring out how to get it to me. It's over-sized for dimensions on shipping through EMS so Japan Car Direct can't ship it to me though there normal means and the proxy services are confusing and (from various sources around the internet) pile on hidden fees when it comes time for them to ship your stuff to you. It's one solid piece so no breakdown possible. I also need the rails that are on the bottom of the driver's seat, the BRIDE one I have right now has its own rail set.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Frank Dux posted:

Here's some more pics from the auction. Apparently the car is essentially stock except for a Fujitsobo exhaust and some unknown brand coilovers. The car's got some 17 inch Keiichi Tsuchiya rims too.

If you don't mind me asking, what did that run? I love that generation MR2 and have always tossed around the idea of getting a turbo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You could always swap in the seats from the other AZ1, or just keep the other AZ1 :)

Frank Dux
Jun 19, 2005

Larrymer posted:

If you don't mind me asking, what did that run? I love that generation MR2 and have always tossed around the idea of getting a turbo.

I did pay a little more than average (the bidding went just a hair over a million yen) but the car has only 94k km on it originally and practically perfect condition as the auction sheet rated it a 4.5. definitely not the cheapest mr2 on the auction block but I don't plan on reselling or anything so it's worth it to me 😋

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/d/1993-toyota-cresta-tourer/6643150593.html
Popped up locally

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

You could always swap in the seats from the other AZ1, or just keep the other AZ1 :)

We'll see what I decide when the nicer one gets here. I like the idea of this kinda beat-up AZ-1 in the same way that I like our Prado, just enough of a beater to enjoy rather than get all protectionist about it. I'd at least have to swap the wheels and tires on the new one.

Frank Dux posted:

I did pay a little more than average (the bidding went just a hair over a million yen) but the car has only 94k km on it originally and practically perfect condition as the auction sheet rated it a 4.5. definitely not the cheapest mr2 on the auction block but I don't plan on reselling or anything so it's worth it to me 😋

9500~ or so is nothing for that, the nice AZ-1 I have on the way cost that much and the MR2 is so much more car. Downright budget compared to an R32 in that condition too.

Looks neat but not being into that scene it kinda looks a little vanilla for what the asking price is. Is just the chassis+engine worth that?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Looks neat but not being into that scene it kinda looks a little vanilla for what the asking price is. Is just the chassis+engine worth that?

Um yeah that's a lot of money for what looks like the '95 Camry I had not too long ago. The interior looks almost identical as well.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Frank Dux posted:

revision 2 gts? spoiler and interior match, rear lights are rev3+

do you have a front on pic? have fog lights?

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

KakerMix posted:

yes

Um yeah that's a lot of money for what looks like the '95 Camry I had not too long ago. The interior looks almost identical as well.

this is a plus

206kw, 5 speed mt, rwd w/ lsd, in a camry body from factory

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I finally obtained the most JDM of goodies from a junkyard car: an original APEXi S-AFC!

Came out of an Aristo-ified GS400. Got the fancy K&N intake, the SAFC, gigantic transmission cooler, and a real Fluidyne radiator. It was completely 2003 tricked out! Anyone want an Aristo badge?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KakerMix posted:

*bov noise*

Is the clutch slipping or are you just not used to it yet?

Frank Dux posted:

Also this is bangin' :whatup:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BloodBag posted:

Missed this, flip flops are standard Florida footwear thankyouverymuch :colbert:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Is the clutch slipping or are you just not used to it yet?

Also this is bangin' :whatup:

Just not used to it, the clutch bites hard and quick. I don't know if it's aftermarket or not but it's really sensitive and I'm just not down with transitioning smoothly. Plus, wearing flip-flops :v: In my defense though it is the official footwear and I was doing work outside on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KakerMix posted:

Just not used to it, the clutch bites hard and quick. I don't know if it's aftermarket or not but it's really sensitive and I'm just not down with transitioning smoothly. Plus, wearing flip-flops :v: In my defense though it is the official footwear and I was doing work outside on it.

Just slip em off and drive barefoot.