Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Zogo posted:

Bombshell Bourdain interview: Celebrity chef unloads on 'rapey, gropey and disgusting Bill Clinton and hopes Weinstein is 'beaten to death in jail'
https://popula.com/2018/07/15/bourdain-confidential/

lol at the idea that this is some sort of bombshell, but this is a really great interview. I love Tony Bourdain and we lost a great man when he passed, so any more words and thoughts of his are well received.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

DC Murderverse posted:

lol at the idea that this is some sort of bombshell, but this is a really great interview. I love Tony Bourdain and we lost a great man when he passed, so any more words and thoughts of his are well received.

I think people (generalising of course) tend to forget that Clinton was a serial abuser. It's one of the things the alt-right crow on about but are actually correct on. The Clintons were happy to let Monica Lewinsky suffer than have Bill admit that he loves loving.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Regarding a Spacey comeback, would he even need the money and work? He's not a young man as of now (58) and it could take more than a decade for him to weasel his way back into Hollywood's acceptance. Why would people go to bat for him with that in mind?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

khwarezm posted:

Regarding a Spacey comeback, would he even need the money and work? He's not a young man as of now (58) and it could take more than a decade for him to weasel his way back into Hollywood's acceptance. Why would people go to bat for him with that in mind?

He wouldn’t need the money, no. Not unless he gets taken to the cleaners by his victims in court. But I imagine he’s very much in they “I’m Kevin loving Spacey” camp, and a comeback attempt would largely be driven by a combination of hubris and the desire to polish his tarnished legacy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

khwarezm posted:

He has enough of an ego that he used being accused of sexual assault as an opportunity to announce that he's gay, and he's still in Billionaire Boys Club, which releases this week. "People close to him" have said that performing is his life, too.

It'll take a year or so, but some independent movie producer is absolutely going to take a flyer on him

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I feel a bit bad for Ansel Elgort, he had the bad luck of being in two of Spacey's last big movies. Gotta be kicking himself for that now. Of course he can always cry himself to sleep in the giant pile of money he sleeps in next to his beautiful girlfriend.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

There is some dark satisfaction in the fact that if no career redemption occurs (and it shouldn’t), one of the last theatrical releases for Kevin Spacey - master of stage and screen, authority on Shakespeare - is that loving talking cat movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Coffee And Pie posted:

I feel a bit bad for Ansel Elgort, he had the bad luck of being in two of Spacey's last big movies. Gotta be kicking himself for that now. Of course he can always cry himself to sleep in the giant pile of money he sleeps in next to his beautiful girlfriend.

Unless he was very aware of Spacey's rep, a thing that was just a rumor and jokes at that point, he can't really feel too bad. And his career seems to be doing just fine.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Harime Nui posted:

I feel like a fitting punishment for disgraced celebrities might be having their likenesses optioned for an eternal Video Game Purgatory where they play the sleaziest worst villains forever

Even better: sentence them to having their likenesses put in the public domain so they will be shot, beaten and or sexually degraded in every single lovely Unity asset flip game for all eternity.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Fart City posted:

There is some dark satisfaction in the fact that if no career redemption occurs (and it shouldn’t), one of the last theatrical releases for Kevin Spacey - master of stage and screen, authority on Shakespeare - is that loving talking cat movie.

Nine Lives 2 is going to be loving DARK.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Harime Nui posted:

I feel like a fitting punishment for disgraced celebrities might be having their likenesses optioned for an eternal Video Game Purgatory where they play the sleaziest worst villains forever

That's not a punishment, villains are the best roles.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Roman Polanski will make a movie and he will cast Kevin Spacey and it'll probably win a Palme D'or or something

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vegetable posted:

Roman Polanski will make a movie and he will cast Kevin Spacey and it'll probably win a Palme D'or or something

Bryan Singer will executive produce.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

And Luc Besson will judge

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Harime Nui posted:

Pretty sure it would be trivial to rip Spacey's skin from Call of Duty for Gary's Mod shenanigans.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Pretty sure it would be trivial to rip Spacey's skin from Call of Duty for Gary's Mod shenanigans.

People were on that 3 years ago.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=412495412

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

'Deadliest Catch' star Edgar Hansen Admits Sexually Abusing 16-Year-Old Girl
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/deadliest-catch-star-edgar-hansen-admits-sexually-abusing-16-year-old-girl-005612296.html

141 survivors of sexual abuse by Larry Nassar join hands on the ESPY Award stage to receive the courage award and listen to Aly Raisman condemn the wall of silence victims endured
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5969141/Aly-Raisman-leads-141-survivors-receiving-Arthur-Ashe-Courage-Award-ESPYs.html

Flashback: Larry Nassar Police Interrogation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgrKosf6PUI
A 2.5 hour chat on how he didn't actually molest anyone.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm seeing some tweets regarding some really lovely things James Gunn said/wrote in the past, stuff like jokes about pedophilia, rape and sexist/homophobic remarks about women. I was inclined to discredit it at first because it was Mike "douchebag" Cernovich pulling them up, but now I see Gunn himself sorry-not-sorrying in a lovely apology:

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1020154776539967489?s=19

Basically: I already said sorry, I was just being an edgelord, I'm not that person anymore but I did nothing wrong yadda yadda.

I get that this might be some years back, but is it that hard to just say "yes, sorry, it was lovely and I apologize and I'm never going to say that poo poo again?" Why is apologizing so hard for these folks, does it just come with the territory?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

You've been on these forums long enough to know that people would rather double down on an argument than take a step back and apologise. Conceding a point is seen as a sign of weakness, and that goes doubly for the people we talk about in here, most of whom aren't used to being called out on their flaws.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I guess I was still naive enough to think James Gunn was a better man than that.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

davidspackage posted:

I'm seeing some tweets regarding some really lovely things James Gunn said/wrote in the past, stuff like jokes about pedophilia, rape and sexist/homophobic remarks about women. I was inclined to discredit it at first because it was Mike "douchebag" Cernovich pulling them up, but now I see Gunn himself sorry-not-sorrying in a lovely apology:

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1020154776539967489?s=19

Basically: I already said sorry, I was just being an edgelord, I'm not that person anymore but I did nothing wrong yadda yadda.

I get that this might be some years back, but is it that hard to just say "yes, sorry, it was lovely and I apologize and I'm never going to say that poo poo again?" Why is apologizing so hard for these folks, does it just come with the territory?

I don't really see the issue with his full apology. He says it was a result of a younger man (some of them are 10 years old) who thought that being edgy was being funny and he apologised personally in private to anyone who was upset with his jokes. He seems sincere in it. I think it's so easy for the majority of people to forget that before knowing better we've said some horrible stuff to be funny. People grow up and they learn.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
He was in his forties when he made those jokes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I for one am shocked that the person who wrote Tromeo and Juliette has a warped sense of humor.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Making bad jokes isn’t illegal and I don’t get the point in digging up lovely jokes as a “SEE!!! SEE!!!” thing. It happened to Trevor Noah too and it’s like, alright? Are they still making those jokes? Is that where their work is at in 2018?

Also this has been brought up before and also, why again. Is it to kill his career? What’s the end game?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Since it's admitted rapist Mike Cernovich who dug them up, it's probably a mix of mental problems & trying to muddy the waters.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

CelticPredator posted:

I for one am shocked that the person who wrote Tromeo and Juliette has a warped sense of humor.

Did anyone actually see Super?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Many times yes.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don’t remember if there was anything offensive about Super but even if there was, I’m sure it was from the viewpoint of one of the main characters who you very much aren’t supposed to agree or empathize with.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

His apology was perfectly normal and decent. The guy doesn’t need to prostrate and self-flagellate to adequately show remorse.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Where you're coming from isn't entirely unreasonable, however:

Equeen posted:

He was in his forties when he made those jokes.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

People can be shitheads for awhile before becoming better people. *insert Facebook post about homophobic grandma learning how to be accepting of their gay grandchild*

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Play this out. Honestly, what should happen to him and explain how it will make things better.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

teacup posted:

Play this out. Honestly, what should happen to him and explain how it will make things better.

What has happened to him?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

CelticPredator posted:

Also this has been brought up before and also, why again. Is it to kill his career? What’s the end game?

Admittedly, I did not know that and should've researched a bit before posting. Twitter is a bad feeding ground for this sort of thing. I'll be more careful about that in the future.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LesterGroans posted:

What has happened to any of these guys? Practically nothing - Victor Salva is still making movies for God's sake. Tom Sizemore got regular work long after it was known what a scumbag he was, NBCU practically has an army of lawyers covering for freaks like Matt Lauer, Netflix paid for press junkets specifically to rehab Jeffery Tambor's reputation! Meanwhile, people whose careers who actually have been destroyed, like Annabella Sciorra, just get a "ah, that's a shame" and everyone moves on.

You practically have to be Robert Blake to actually suffer some consequence, that or be a former child star.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Is James Gunn a comedian? Nearly every comedian has dated material they abandon or don’t want to come back to, and besides that conflating things someone said as part of an act vs actual things that they did seems like the wrong direction for this to go.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

LesterGroans posted:

I’m not saying it should or shouldn’t and I’m not lamenting the downfall of his career when it hasn’t happened. I get what you’re saying (last week people saying poor Cavill when nothing had/ will happen to him)

He made edgy jokes that he apologised for then and wrote stupid sexist stuff. It’s since resurfaced and he said he doesn’t agree with it and is a different person. So like literally what should he do?

I get putting someone away / put them in Hollywood jail if he actually victimised someone in anyway way but just being a jerk then saying sorry then someone years later says hey you were a jerk and you shoulda known better and you saying yeah I should have I’m different now... where does that go??

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
This amused me:

drat THOSE FAKE HOLLYWOOD LIBERALS WITH THEIR HARD TO SPELL LAST NAMES

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

Is James Gunn a comedian? Nearly every comedian has dated material they abandon or don’t want to come back to, and besides that conflating things someone said as part of an act vs actual things that they did seems like the wrong direction for this to go.

He's the most famous of the Gunn brothers. He wrote and directed both Guardians of the Galaxy movies and Slither, among other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

teacup posted:

He made edgy jokes that he apologised for then and wrote stupid sexist stuff. It’s since resurfaced and he said he doesn’t agree with it and is a different person. So like literally what should he do?

I get putting someone away / put them in Hollywood jail if he actually victimised someone in anyway way but just being a jerk then saying sorry then someone years later says hey you were a jerk and you shoulda known better and you saying yeah I should have I’m different now... where does that go??

I guess my question is, who was talking about putting him in jail?