Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae_qIU-deZM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

SwissDonkey posted:

Actually impressed. The old 300mm f/4 optics are nice as hell but with no VR and a tight crop (I'm guessing, at that focal length, parent birbs don't like 300mm distance).
Wasn't too much of a crop, I did manage to get quite close with the 300mm. Here's the jpeg from the camera:

SwissDonkey posted:

Edit: This here is my buddy, a (nearly adult) juvenile Australian Magpie. I feed his parents, and they must have told him that I'm a Person With Food because every time I head to the park near my house, this little poo poo sprints at me with his head down, then follows me everywhere.

What a handsome fella.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Collateral Damage posted:

"Baby birds are called bees."

You’d say, “Give me five baby birbs for a quarter.”

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

DrSnakeLaser posted:

American Beauty remake is taking a weird direction.

American Beauty : Totally Cockatooty

:colbert:

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

this, right here, is what I come to the thread for: birds

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

My roommates photography may not be that funny, or give you giggles of delight like so many bird gifs and videos, but they're good photographs of good birds, and I'm gonna keep posting them until I run out dammit.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Master Twig posted:

My roommates photography may not be that funny, or give you giggles of delight like so many bird gifs and videos, but they're good photographs of good birds, and I'm gonna keep posting them until I run out dammit.

Are all of the pictures you post pictures taken by your roommate? They're all very good, please let them know that I appreciate their work and am glad that you have shared it with us.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does anybody have cool pics of crowns?

I like them death bois :downs:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/7o68ZB6.mp4

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

SpacePig posted:

Are all of the pictures you post pictures taken by your roommate? They're all very good, please let them know that I appreciate their work and am glad that you have shared it with us.

Yep. He loves bird-spotting and he has a good camera with a good lens. He's quite good at it. These are of course all posted with his permission.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

British crow or raven? I can never work it out.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Looks like a raven to me, or maybe a carrion crow? The beak length and shape look very raven-y anyway. The standard british crow is a rook isn't it? It's definitely not a rook.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I do not believe this is a crow either.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/jeSkOcw.mp4

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Master Twig posted:

I do not believe this is a crow either.

It's difficult to tell what kind of bird it is, in account of the mask. Must be getting ready to rob a birdhouse.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Bored posted:

It's difficult to tell what kind of bird it is, in account of the mask. Must be getting ready to rob a birdhouse.

If there's no heist film involving a sparrow and a raccoon as partners in crime, there should be. :kimchi:

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Brute Squad posted:

My grandparents' had one of those too. They'd roll meatballs across the patio to them. Road runners are cool birds.

kind of wish i could make cool wild bird friends here but with no coyotes all the cats run rampant in this area and so i very rarely see / hear birds. Usually just some finches in a parking lot that are extremely skittish around humans. as they probably should be since they are foraging in a parking lot.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

spookygonk posted:

British crow or raven? I can never work it out.

Either way dapper looking fella.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

https://twitter.com/AndrewM138/status/1019139946479693824

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Everything about Iggy Pop and his cockatoo is just perfect.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

It's thursday. Feeling looney

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Loons are the seals of the bird world. They can move about on land, but only sort of. I love them.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Master Twig posted:

It's thursday. Feeling looney

Those look more like diving ducks actually, loons have pointier bills

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I said FEELING looney. Those ducks are clearly just experiencing the emotions of being a loon.

God dammit.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

We goons take our birbs seriously. :colbert:

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah those look like goldeneyes to me

Here's a loon I saw on the beach a couple months ago.

Good point keep talkin has a new favorite as of 09:39 on Jul 20, 2018

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I will make no affirmative statements as to the species of these birds.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
look like loons

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Zil posted:

We goons take our birbs seriously. :colbert:

My parents are both hardcore birdwatchers and they always dragged me on their birdwatching trips when I was small. I can't help myself! :cripes:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Master Twig posted:

I will make no affirmative statements as to the species of these birds.

And yet you assume there's two of them and it's not a Hydra-bird.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

A few years back I was studying with a pair of international students (Indian and Filipino, we had first year chemistry together) and it turned into an impromptu lesson on Canadian coinage and why different coins are called what they are, because it turned out to be a thing they found confusing. Then comes the question: "but why is the $1 called a loonie and why is there a duck on it????"

Thank god for YouTube, honestly. "This is a loon, they're cool diving birds with crazy spooky songs. Please learn to love them like I do."

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Randaconda posted:

look like loons

Curvy loonette gf

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Heath posted:

Curvy loonette gf

Despite the roughly equal participation of the sexes in nest building and incubation, analysis has shown clearly that males alone select the location of the nest. This pattern has the important consequence that male goons, but not females, establish significant site-familiarity with their territories that allows them to produce more manbabies there over time. Sex-biased site-familiarity might explain, in part, why resident males fight so hard to defend their territories.[10]

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/PulpAdded/status/1020150525193572353

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Squawk circles.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Little known fact: in the southern hemisphere, chickens spiral in the opposite direction.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Lord Hydronium posted:

Little known fact: in the southern hemisphere, chickens spiral in the opposite direction.

Down there they go countercockwise.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ariong posted:

Down there they go countercluckwise.

So close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

However in the Southern Hemisphere meat spins countercockwise