Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This is going quite late.

Teddybear posted:

Maybe. I dunno if folks (or Tal, or the show) would countenance that sort of gap. I'd've bet on this week, maybe next week at the latest.

I would have preferred they just get to it, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Pollyanna posted:

This is going quite late.

I would have preferred they just get to it, too.

We're pushing up towards four hours, which is more or less what it's usually at, right?

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
Yep, Critical Role is scheduled 7-11 PM PT, and quite often runs longer if something needs to be wrapped up.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Oh there he is!

Matt: "You missed an opportunity." So he was somewhere! They just didn't encounter him...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

They went straight for the Ophelia place instead of trying to get help in town first. If it had been the other way around, Tal woulda shown up :v:

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Now we gotta wait a whooooole week to find out who Tal is. Maaaaan.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Next week, they explore the town for help and encounter a suspicious pyramid.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ojjeorago posted:

Next week, they explore the town for help and encounter a suspicious bear.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Could be general help in town, but with how often Matt brought up crazy hermits and then brought up the specific one out in the wilderness a ways at some funky religious site, I feel like that was Taliesin waiting in the wings and Matt giving another opportunity to go get him. I think he'd probably happen to be hanging out in town wherever they went looking for aid as well.

Definitely going to be seeing him next episode, they want to get all the help they can and at some point in trying to make that happen Taliesin's new character will show up. It'd also kind of a dick move to make him sit out two games, I think 90% or more of DMs would have railroaded that meetup pretty strongly within an hour of the regular session, but they do ultimately do what fits the story.

I kinda feel for him since having at least the intro to the character would have been good going in to SDCC, now I expect everyone will want to press him for at least the race and class and he's gonna have to keep the details to himself, or at least I'd expect him to.

I'm surprised he didn't pop in, but at the same time I'm not surprised since it's not like they'd be actively looking for people or exploring around randomly at the moment. They seemed to be going about it sensibly, albeit in the typical slow d&d planning way, until the very last minute there.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 20, 2018

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

The last minute hastily improvised cosplay at comicon woulda been neat, too.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Just about 30 min in now and the 3 main cast are knocking it out of the park. drat

Sam is some sort of genius with this weeks ad. Had a good laugh at Matt calling him an rear end in a top hat after the first letter.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
If at some point during the probably 100+ episode campaign the gang isn't saved my Dues Ex Kiri I will be disappointed.

As the Nien slowly woke as they recovered from their wounds. Caleb still shaking recalled what he had witnessed.

Nott had just fallen and I was on my my knees ready to die as the four closed in ready to finish off the Nien. Then I heard the calls.

Fjord calling out "It's Sharp!" and one fell clutching his throat

Beau yelling "Where do babies come from?" and a second fell trying to keep his guts from pouring out of a gaping wound

Jester whispering "Yeah Behind Yeah" as a blade tip appeared to burst from the abdomen of the third.

The fourth panicked and tried to run as I heard my own voice call out "This means we are friends." over and over as a dark hooded figure flashed by slashing over and over.

Then silence as feathery fingers poured a potion in my mouth and helped me get back on my feet. The Crownsguard could be heard approaching fast and before she vanished into the night she tipped her head to me, opened her mouth......

Molly called out "Take care of them"

Raged fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 20, 2018

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I only watched up until the break last night, but I'm not sure I like Sumalee's character all that much. I'm kind of picking up a lot on a gender swapped Drax the Destroyer but it's kind of missing the things that make him fun.

I still love Keg though, I think with her character and her history and the way she riffs with the others she would make a really good candidate for a reoccurring character or even as a permanent member of the Nein.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also, with the reveal of Lorenzo eating something child sized and shaped, he's even more definitely an Oni.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

A minor thing, but I was hoping when Nila mentioned her tribe's leaves customs that they'd think to grab one for Yasha since she collects stuff like that and was close to Molly.

DeathSandwich posted:

I only watched up until the break last night, but I'm not sure I like Sumalee's character all that much. I'm kind of picking up a lot on a gender swapped Drax the Destroyer but it's kind of missing the things that make him fun.

Gentle, innocent, and bloodthirsty. Chat seemed to love her, basically Kiri without the mimicry.

Do we know who the possible third guest was who apparently had to work on a set instead of coming to the show? I vaguely remember reading something like that when they first announced Ashly and Sumalee coming on.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

bagrada posted:

Do we know who the possible third guest was who apparently had to work on a set instead of coming to the show? I vaguely remember reading something like that when they first announced Ashly and Sumalee coming on.

There was only two guests announced; the one you're thinking of was Sumalee. It's why she wasn't around last week.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Also, with the reveal of Lorenzo eating something child sized and shaped, he's even more definitely an Oni.

Between that and the bed yeah, I'd call it 100% confirmed now.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/1020462581692198913?s=21

The ultimate dork.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Matt is the best boy.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Good news

https://twitter.com/CriticalRole/status/1020855101827645441?s=19

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

It'll be better news if Colville isn't writing it. He did a thoroughly mediocre job with the first one.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
So Mollymauk is in neutral heaven right? Isn’t that just 24/7 orgy parties? Would he want to be ressurected?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
This wasn't his first death, and it's very possible that he doesn't even get a say in the matter.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Just started watching the episode on Youtube (confound it Euro timezones) and I love the "Your such an rear end in a top hat" section from Matt.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

If you are missing Laura and aren't following her Twitter or World of Warcraft news, this is pretty nifty and came out today:

https://www.twitter.com/LauraBaileyVO/status/1021456076963639296

bagrada fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 24, 2018

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

CuwiKhons posted:

It'll be better news if Colville isn't writing it. He did a thoroughly mediocre job with the first one.

Yeah I get what you mean, I thought Vax and Vex were done pretty well, Keyleth was the right amount of awkward too, but Scanlan was just way off to me.

Who knows, it's not like I didn't like the first series but there's certainly room for improvement, and I do wish they had a more experienced comics team on it.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I thought Vax and Vex (moreso Vex) were done horribly wrong while you could read in every line how much Colville jerks off over Scanlan.

Colville has openly stated he's never watched more than 40 nonconsecutive hours of Critical Role (which sounds like a lot until you remember it's a 400 hour show), and I know most of that was combat because he loooooves talking about major fights like Thordak or Vecna or the Kraken and humblebragging about what he would have done differently to make it more deadly. It's extremely obnoxious.

He also did an AMA about the comic after it was completed and claimed he was interested in criticism and good at being gracious about it. He wasn't. About half the people in the subreddit happily sucked his dick and while he didn't ignore the criticism from the other half, he certainly didn't respond well to it.

Long story short, I can't loving stand him and his writing is mediocre at best. He only got the job by being friends with the cast and it shows.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

I thought Vax and Vex (moreso Vex) were done horribly wrong while you could read in every line how much Colville jerks off over Scanlan.

Colville has openly stated he's never watched more than 40 nonconsecutive hours of Critical Role, and I know most of that was combat because he loooooves talking about major fights like Thordak or Vecna or the Kraken and humblebragging about what he would have done differently to make it more deadly. It's extremely obnoxious.

He also did an AMA about the comic after it was completed and claimed he was interested in criticism and good at being gracious about it. He wasn't. About half the people in the subreddit happily sucked his dick and while he didn't ignore the criticism from the other half, he certainly didn't respond well to it.

Long story short, I can't loving stand him and his writing is mediocre at best. He only got the job by being friends with the cast and it shows.

Holy poo poo we agree on something.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

The artist of the comic is also an incredible artist but had never done a comic before. I know this because a friend of mine who does draw comics and was watching this unfold was aghast at the panel layout and general structure and a lot of things that flew over my head.

She ended up messaging the artist and asked her if she wanted advice on that sort of thing and got back an emphatic "oh please, god yes." Which tells me Dark Horse wasn't helping them at all because surely anyone who works for a comic book company could have dropped her some basic tips :psyduck:

The whole thing was a bit of a mess all around but the artist knows more now so a new writer is all I could ask for.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
If your first reaction to Vex/Vax dialogue is "am I confusing which is which?" then it's a problem. I like the comic fine but saying "she was different back then" is a thin excuse. At least it gets better.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

There was also the part I forgot about where fans asked where Trinket was in the first issue or two and Colville said "Rangers don't get animal companions until level 3, she wouldn't have it yet," even though that's a loving gameplay mechanic that has nothing to do with the story and entirely ignores the fact that Laura actually wrote a short story about how she acquired Trinket when he was just a cub and it was YEARS before they met anybody from VM. When confronted with this, Colville hastily backtracked and had to retcon in that Trinket was I guess waiting outside the city for some reason? Except that Vex and Vax also start the first issue outside the city? There's absolutely no reason Trinket wouldn't be there except that Colville just flat out doesn't know enough about the show.

Windyblade
Oct 17, 2005

I hope we're still friends after I taser you.
It seemed VERY clear from his answers in that Reddit AMA that Laura wasn’t consulted at all during his writing process when he was called out specifically for how he handled Vex. I don’t understand how or why that happened.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I could go on about how much Colville doesn't know about the show - and clearly doesn't care to ask - but the last thing I'll bring up is that despite the fact that Vax and Scanlan are Colville's favorite characters, when one of the people who liked the comics made a cube joke at him, Colville didn't get it. He had no clue what "the cube" was. The running joke Sam managed to reference nearly every other episode. He had no idea.

40 hours out of a 400 hour show. Clearly enough to perfectly understand everyone's characterization :downs:

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

CuwiKhons posted:

I could go on about how much Colville doesn't know about the show - and clearly doesn't care to ask - but the last thing I'll bring up is that despite the fact that Vax and Scanlan are Colville's favorite characters, when one of the people who liked the comics made a cube joke at him, Colville didn't get it. He had no clue what "the cube" was. The running joke Sam managed to reference nearly every other episode. He had no idea.

40 hours out of a 400 hour show. Clearly enough to perfectly understand everyone's characterization :downs:

I mean Sam himself wearing a jumpsuit and cube was quite well known, how do you not know about something that happened at the Gencon live show?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Windyblade posted:

It seemed VERY clear from his answers in that Reddit AMA that Laura wasn’t consulted at all during his writing process when he was called out specifically for how he handled Vex. I don’t understand how or why that happened.

Out of morbid curiosity, what did he do with Vex?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Well congrats, everyone has sold me on disliking the comic more than I did previously. Ah well.

These are all valid points that I didn't know, so good info to have and I'll lower my expectations for the writing a bit and raise them slightly for the art and general comic layout.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

My favorite Colville bit is how he has a video detailing the "mistakes of campaign 1" like he knows gently caress and/or all about it.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Out of morbid curiosity, what did he do with Vex?

The twins' job in the first issue involves investigating a missing infant who ultimately turns out to be dead. Vex both doesn't care that the child is dead and refers to its mother as a "mere peasant" and when Vax points out that their mother was a peasant, Vex says "Our father was noble and therefore as far as I'm concerned, so are we."

She just generally doesn't give a poo poo about anyone and Vax is the 'nice and friendly' twin. Which is pretty much the exact reverse of what their characterization should have been. Vax likes kids and can be jovial but Liam's said before that prior to joining up with VM and maybe right up until the Conclave, Vax... pretty much only cared about Vex. Colville made him the outgoing one who makes friends with Keyleth and turned Vex into the one who just wants it to be the two of them and basically acting like a stuck up bitch. Something Vex has never been.

edit - all of this by the way is JUST the first issue, which I didn't read past.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 24, 2018

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

There was also the part I forgot about where fans asked where Trinket was in the first issue or two and Colville said "Rangers don't get animal companions until level 3, she wouldn't have it yet,"

No loving way, this can't be real. Is Colville secretly the guy behind that 'well my protagonist doesn't have enough health potions to get through this fight' story writer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
... I guess I might be the only fan of Colville in here, huh?

That is a pretty dumb mistake to make regarding Trinket though. Hell they weren't even playing 5E at that point, so the argument just kind of flounders all together.