Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I guess my question is, who was talking about putting him in jail?

No one is talking jail but a bunch of MAGAs and DC fans (not kidding) on Twitter are concern trolling and demanding to have him removed from GOTG3. A decent number of liberals who lack common sense/are trying to prove how woke they are are starting to as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Disney hired him after watching Super. I don’t think they’re shocked he made some gross, dated jokes.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think in general we are still way too caught up in the punitive aspect of the Me Too movement. Yeah, it's fair to say that Gunn has grown up although I'm pretty sure that Guardians of the Galaxy still slips in a prison rape joke. But the problem is that guys like Gunn indirectly contributed to making the industry hostile to a lot of folks. I think it is definitely fair to be mad and disregard Gunn because he's guy who said a lot of lovely stuff, became successful, and now has the ability to disregard his previous comments from a place of power and comfort.

The question of what he should do is flawed. It ignores that people are allowed to be angry at the millionaire who gets to make superhero movies despite past lovely behavior.

Ya know, but still gently caress Cernovich and the context of this poo poo.

lelandjs posted:

I don’t remember if there was anything offensive about Super but even if there was, I’m sure it was from the viewpoint of one of the main characters who you very much aren’t supposed to agree or empathize with.
Super has some weird racial dynamics to it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

lelandjs posted:

No one is talking jail but a bunch of MAGAs and DC fans (not kidding) on Twitter are concern trolling and demanding to have him removed from GOTG3. A decent number of liberals who lack common sense/are trying to prove how woke they are are starting to as well.

I find it hard to take that seriously, that's SOP for the internet-at-large. To flip that around, whenever people get deeply concerned about concern trolling or whatnot from The Hordes (as distinct from obviously malicious and actionable behavior like stalking, SWATting, etc), what's the remedy for that?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I find it hard to take that seriously, that's SOP for the internet-at-large. To flip that around, whenever people get deeply concerned about concern trolling or whatnot from The Hordes (as distinct from obviously malicious and actionable behavior like stalking, SWATting, etc), what's the remedy for that?

Logging off.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So then... what's the statute of limitations on saying that sort of poo poo? If he'd made those tweets today, people would call for his head, sure. How much time has to pass?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

AlternateAccount posted:

So then... what's the statute of limitations on saying that sort of poo poo? If he'd made those tweets today, people would call for his head, sure. How much time has to pass?

I mean generally one's present actions tend to reflect the kind of person they are, but I guess since people find comfort in numbers instead of exercising any sort of common sense, self reflection, and own judgments, let's put the threshold at 5.3 years (95% CI ± 0.6).

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

AlternateAccount posted:

Exactly 1267 days.

I wonder when celebrities will realize that long, defensive apologies do them absolutely no favors. "These were bad jokes and I shouldn't have made them, I'm sorry" would have served Gunn so much better than what he posted.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Except I still feel like many (even some in this very thread) would write a short and sweet apology as half-assed or insincere or something similar.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Are you all even quite sure what you're talking about? They're just ancient bad jokes that the man outgrew? What's next, are you going to call this locker room talk?

These from a fully grown adult man just a few years ago:

Is the following just a joke? Is who he shared the "joke" with just eight years ago suspicious to you at all?

Is Cinema Discusso usually this apologetic towards fuckin insane wierdo monsters that the rest of this forum would drink the blood of?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Those "jokes" easily read as poo poo-tier edgelord bullshit but i dunno about the video.

e: added quotation marks

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 20, 2018

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

People move on, and you are never too old to change. That said, talk is cheap, and I wish people would spend less time apologizing for their actions in the past and more time advocating for a change in the present. Tim Hardaway is still my go to example of someone who actually did mature later in life and did something to try and help combat some of the damaging things he said in his past..

quote:

“Well, you know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known,” Hardaway said on the Miami show, hosted by ESPN personality Dan Le Batard. “I don’t like gay people, and I don’t like to be around gay people. I am homophobic. I don’t like it. It shouldn’t be in the world or in the United States. So, yeah, I don’t like it.”

. . .
“It hurts me to this day, what I said, and you know what? It’s going to hurt me for the rest of my life, because I’m not that type of person. I feel bad about it, and I’m always going to feel bad about it.”
. . . .

In the years following the radio interview, Hardaway has become an outspoken advocate for LGBTQ rights, including working with The Trevor Project, a nonprofit group that focuses on suicide prevention for LGBTQ youth. He also became the first signer of a petition to legalize same-sex marriage in the state of Florida. In 2011, Hardaway attended a rally in El Paso — where he had been a college star at UTEP years earlier — to support the city’s mayor, John Cook, who was facing an attempted recall vote (which later failed) after allowing domestic partnership rights for gay and unmarried couples.

I'm not saying Gunn needs to do anything to the level that Hardaway did, but it'd be nice to see any sort of action to actually show that he has grown is better than a tossed off "I'm different now" statement.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Well, either way, this poo poo just became semi-moot.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

This is tasteless and bizarre, but where's the sex crime, exactly?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Today sucks.

But at least I can jump ship from Marvel sooner than I expected. Cuz I don’t give a poo poo.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I remember years ago on SA reading pages and pages of horrible dead baby and rape jokes. Did this site become so freaking neutered that we support people calling for blood about a person who made some dirty joke tweets years ago?

Give me a freaking break people.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Well Disney canned him anyway, so shitheads like Mike Cernovich win.

Yes they're edgy and lovely jokes. Who loving cares. Just burn down social media and we'll all be better.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

zandert33 posted:

I remember years ago on SA reading pages and pages of horrible dead baby and rape jokes. Did this site become so freaking neutered that we support people calling for blood about a person who made some dirty joke tweets years ago?

Give me a freaking break people.

Nobody was calling for blood on here?

Give me a freaking break you.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

DrVenkman posted:

Well Disney canned him anyway, so shitheads like Mike Cernovich win.

Yes they're edgy and lovely jokes. Who loving cares. Just burn down social media and we'll all be better.

At this point why would any famous person (especially a comedian) even WANT to use social media anymore?

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Krankenstyle posted:

Nobody was calling for blood on here?

Give me a freaking break you.

I never said WE were, but it's clear that people are siding with the types of people who ARE calling for blood.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

zandert33 posted:

I never said WE were, but it's clear that people are siding with the types of people who ARE calling for blood.

Sure, alright. Everything is black & white.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Krankenstyle posted:

Sure, alright. Everything is black & white.

Sure seems like it. Here we are in the sexual assault thread talking about a person getting fired over a stupid joke. Why is it even in the same conversation?

Seems black and white to James Gunn right now.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Equeen posted:

He was in his forties when he made those jokes.

I think him getting fired is major overkill, but yeesh on a personal level with this.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I don't know that he should have been fired, but at the same time I don't know that I want to defend someone who casually makes repeated jokes about loving kids so uhhhhhhhhh....

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

zandert33 posted:

Sure seems like it. Here we are in the sexual assault thread talking about a person getting fired over a stupid joke. Why is it even in the same conversation?

Seems black and white to James Gunn right now.

You were saying that SA were baying for his head on a stick. Imo the discussion itt has been fairly sober.

That he got fired sucks for him but tbh I find it hard to feel bad for him, he has money & I don't care for his movies. And seeing as how "mild" as this case is, he can probably bounce back.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

zandert33 posted:

At this point why would any famous person (especially a comedian) even WANT to use social media anymore?

Actually Social Media is the apparatus through which comedians are exploding right now. Tom Segura, Chris D’elia, Whitney Cummings and literally dozens more have scraped together their careers through building facebook/twitter followers until they have enough of a community that Netflix pays them a million dollars for an hour of their material.

If you listen to pretty much any comedian’s podcast or radio show they pretty much unanimously agree it was Dane Cook’s use of MySpace that opened Pandora’s box and showed everyone in the comedy industry what social media meant to the profession.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm pretty sure Kevin Hart owes his entire career to Facebook hustling.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

AlternateAccount posted:

I don't know that he should have been fired, but at the same time I don't know that I want to defend someone who casually makes repeated jokes about loving kids so uhhhhhhhhh....

I mean, we can all agree that Eddie Murphy is funny even though he had some really lovely routines about gay people and he's not the only beloved comedian to have some once lovely views. Does he feel that way now? I'd hope not. If you know better now, there's no point punishing someone for something they used to think.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Eddie Murphy also got busted with multiple transgender prostitutes, so his material came from an internal place.

Also Richard Pryor said human being all the time in his act and he was recently posthumously confirmed to be extremely bisexual by his wife, including a one night stand with Marlon Brando.

How do we feel about closeted black men using “human being” in their acts once we know it that they were gay?

(Personally I don’t care all their poo poo is mega hilarious”

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Are you all even quite sure what you're talking about? They're just ancient bad jokes that the man outgrew? What's next, are you going to call this locker room talk?

These from a fully grown adult man just a few years ago:

I have no idea the content or context of the video in the other images, but as far as this one goes..

Minus the transphobia... yes, they're just bad, crass jokes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Bust Rodd posted:

Also Richard Pryor said human being all the time in his act and he was recently posthumously confirmed to be extremely bisexual by his wife, including a one night stand with Marlon Brando.

Richard Pryor confirmed this in his act, one thing you can't claim about him is that he ever pretended he was 100% straight.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cool! Concern trolling MAGAs got one of the more interesting directors Marvel had shitcanned because he made the same stupid jokes you, yes you, the the person reading this post, also made on Twitter five years ago! Heck, you may have even made similar posts on your alt account in GBS not even five minutes ago!

This is normal and fine and doesn’t set a terrible precedent at all!

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

lelandjs posted:

Cool! Concern trolling MAGAs got one of the more interesting directors Marvel had shitcanned because he made the same stupid jokes you, yes you, the the person reading this post, also made on Twitter five years ago! Heck, you may have even made similar posts on your alt account in GBS not even five minutes ago!

This is normal and fine and doesn’t set a terrible precedent at all!

Yeah we should all be... very, very concerned about this.

The alt-right tried a new tactic today and it was so successful that they accomplished their goal in less than 12 hours. They threw a smoke bomb into a room full of liberals and instead of waiting for it to clear they just starting punching wildly.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I don't think there are a lot of working directors out there with post histories in the equivalent of 2018 GBS. James Gunn (and probably everyone who's written for Troma in the last two decades) feel like rare exceptions there.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he apologized for those tweets in 2012.

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah we should all be... very, very concerned about this.

The alt-right tried a new tactic today and it was so successful that they accomplished their goal in less than 12 hours.

it's not new. the exact same shitheads tried it on sam seder (msnbc fired him as a contributor but then rehired him - he'd made a roman polanski joke and of course weird mike and jack prilosec read it in the most ridiculous way possible).

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, this is hosed up.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

And yet they still employ Johnny Depp.

Oh and J. Michael Roddy, the show director at WDW, who’s been raping, sexually assaulting, and “casting couching” for 20+ years. He was kicked out of Universal Art & Design and is banned from SeaWorld and Busch Gardens property but Disney is still hanging on.

I’m helping out with gathering witness statements for a journalist so we can blow this open with a local news story. He’s Orlando’s Harvey Weinstein.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
drat, some of those were good jokes.

The alt-right thinks they got a skull but I heard he was being ‘Difficult’ in contract negotiations. And wanting more creative control.

He’s been made an example of, such don’t bite the three-fingered, gloved, hand that lifted you from obscurity.

Hold The Ashes
Sep 17, 2017
None of those were good jokes and you haven't "heard" poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Those Gunn tweets are pretty bad

Giving even the smallest inch to the chud brigade is even worse