Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Zero VGS posted:

Why would anyone buy those Sony's when the LG B7 OLEDs are about the same price?

I'm guessing Canadian prices. It's a $900 difference between the two models at 65" on Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Vizio Smart TV I picked up has started to break down. Green dots over the whole screen, uniform when the screen is black. Stops when hit so I think it's either a board/cable issue but wanted to check if it's more serious and worth just replacing instead

No warranty and probably going to end up buying another if it ends up being a pain in the rear end so was curious if it could be as simple as cables.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

ChaseSP posted:

Vizio Smart TV I picked up has started to break down. Green dots over the whole screen, uniform when the screen is black. Stops when hit so I think it's either a board/cable issue but wanted to check if it's more serious and worth just replacing instead

No warranty and probably going to end up buying another if it ends up being a pain in the rear end so was curious if it could be as simple as cables.

Please change the thread title to loving BUY WARRANTY!. I wont buy anywhere else besides Costco because even if I buy the $5000 OLED or whatever, its still only $99 for 5 years of peace of mind. And if you buy cheap poo poo the warranty goes down to like 59 or 39 or something if its 500-999 or >499. My buddy got the P65, 2016 model I guess and then the 2017 went on for the exact same price a month or two later. We live in the middle of nowhere, 3 hours away and they would have just shipped him out the new one to replace it if he had wanted. And yes, Canadian prices. By comparison, that $99 5 year warranty from Costco is like $400 for 4 years from Best loving poo poo Bag Buy. I'm gonna do a fuckin tap dance [insert JCVD dancing with splits gif] when they finally go under.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I would've bought warranty if I got it directly from a store. Instead I bought it second hand for cheap because I was in urgent need and poor. it's lasted a drat while to before these issues started and I was already planning on just getting a new store bought on with warranty.

I was just curious if anyone has had these issues and were able to easily fix them without having to ship it out to get it fixed/replaced is all.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Going through some VMware training stuff and had to chuckle at "the storage industry is moving toward Advanced Format (AF) drives. These drives use a large physical sector size of 4,096 bytes. With this new 4k AF format..."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Everything I've heard about the Costco warranty is loving useless for a high end tv as they won't even try to match the same class of set once your model number isn't available.

For example, if you buy a warranty for a $3k OLED, they will try to replace it with an $800 LCD if your tv isn't available anymore.

TVs have a 1yr warranty and your credit card should have extended that by another year.

2 years should be good enough for the most expensive component of the TV (panel) anything else should be relatively easy to self service and replace.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

codo27 posted:

Please change the thread title to loving BUY WARRANTY!. I wont buy anywhere else besides Costco because even if I buy the $5000 OLED or whatever, its still only $99 for 5 years of peace of mind. And if you buy cheap poo poo the warranty goes down to like 59 or 39 or something if its 500-999 or >499. My buddy got the P65, 2016 model I guess and then the 2017 went on for the exact same price a month or two later. We live in the middle of nowhere, 3 hours away and they would have just shipped him out the new one to replace it if he had wanted. And yes, Canadian prices. By comparison, that $99 5 year warranty from Costco is like $400 for 4 years from Best loving poo poo Bag Buy. I'm gonna do a fuckin tap dance [insert JCVD dancing with splits gif] when they finally go under.

You can buy the costco warranty for a tv bought elsewhere

bull3964 posted:

Everything I've heard about the Costco warranty is loving useless for a high end tv as they won't even try to match the same class of set once your model number isn't available.

For example, if you buy a warranty for a $3k OLED, they will try to replace it with an $800 LCD if your tv isn't available anymore.

TVs have a 1yr warranty and your credit card should have extended that by another year.

2 years should be good enough for the most expensive component of the TV (panel) anything else should be relatively easy to self service and replace.

You just have to argue with them. I had a 4 year old 60" plasma replaced (paid 1799) with a 65x900e

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
So the LG OLED B7a that I bought as an open box from a local wholesaler has noticeable vertical bands during the Netflix grey load screens. Ive heard that grey uniformity is a common issue with almost all LG OLEDs. Is this true? I already talked with the wholesaler and he agreed to exchange it.

Other than that during normal use theres nothing bad to report just amazing picture quality.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I have a B7 and I've never ever seen that. Exchange the sucker.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yes, vertical bands are pretty common on OLEDs. You are unlikely to get one with perfect uniformity in that regard.

They also tend to improve as the set ages.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Vertical bands are my main chagrin on the model I have which is the year before. Running the set in, compensation cycles, and doing some tweaking with the settings helps. Some panels are better than others for it too, I’m not sure where mine lies exactly. I’d advise against viewing 1-5% gray test cards, because that’s a great way to see the problem fully and then never not be able to see it.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Don Lapre posted:

You can buy the costco warranty for a tv bought elsewhere

Isn't the Costco warranty just a SquareTrade warranty?

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Yeah I dont really care much doing the AV forum procedures. Seems a lot of effort just to find a problem to complain about. Ill just do an exchange since its an option for me. The TV is pretty sick otherwise for $925.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Isn't the Costco warranty just a SquareTrade warranty?

Yes but its about a quarter the price for expensive tv's

The costso squaretrade also starts AFTER the manufacturers warranty. Most ST warranties run concurant with the factory (which basically wastes a year)

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Don Lapre posted:

Yes but its about a quarter the price for expensive tv's

The costso squaretrade also starts AFTER the manufacturers warranty. Most ST warranties run concurant with the factory (which basically wastes a year)

The Costco warranty is actually two full years, which would waste 2 full year of the ST, except that it doesn't because Costco is literally the greatest store on Earth for any and every serious purchase.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The Costco warranty is actually two full years, which would waste 2 full year of the ST, except that it doesn't because Costco is literally the greatest store on Earth for any and every serious purchase.

I had to argue with a ST rep once and explain to them the costco warranty is different from every other warranty they sell. Worth it

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
So im looking for a 65 inch tv in australia with a budget of 2500 aud, current front runner is the hisense p7, thoughts?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Best TV in the ~40" and ~47" ranges?

E. Uses: play video games, watch movies/Netflix, etc.

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 21, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Whatever Vizo fits your budget. Manufacturers generally aren't interested in delivering best quality or features below 55" with one exception. If you want the best best quality in small size, go up two inches and get the 49" Sony X900E or X900F (not sure if the former is still in stock anywhere).

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Best TV in the sub $500 or $600 region? Playing games, netflix/etc.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

600 series TCL.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

OK I know I'm dumb as anything but how do I even search for that or recognize that the 600 series is what I'm looking at?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Funktor posted:

OK I know I'm dumb as anything but how do I even search for that or recognize that the 600 series is what I'm looking at?

Think they're referring to this guy:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/6-series-2018-r617

I have one and I love it.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Is it separable from the roku? We already own a nice roku so seems like a waste of money to pay for another onboard one.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
It's the best tv for the money. I just spent a week researching and ended up buying it. Don't think, just buy

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-led-p6-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/5878705.p?skuId=5878705

https://referencehometheater.com/review/tcl-p-series-uhd-tv-review/

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 22, 2018

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Actually, that's the 2017 model. I'd recommend spending the extra $50 for the 2018 model, which has Dolby Vision and like 24 more local dimming zones.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-led-6-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6204548.p?skuId=6204548

Funktor
May 17, 2009

OK, one more question: Mounting brackets. What do I need to know? Can I reuse an old one? What if it's an old one that was used for a much smaller tv?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I specifically chose to buy the 2017 model because the new one has idiotic super wide feet that don't fit on a lot of tv stands

If you're wall mounting, yeah go hog wild with the new one. The picture is only a fraction better but the exterior looks nicer

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

FistEnergy posted:

I specifically chose to buy the 2017 model because the new one has idiotic super wide feet that don't fit on a lot of tv stands

If you're wall mounting, yeah go hog wild with the new one. The picture is only a fraction better but the exterior looks nicer

That's totally fine, but if you're going to recommend a tv to someone you should probably specify why you're recommending an older model that's around the same price, as that issue might not matter to someone who just wants the best picture quality available vs price.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I thought about that but $50 is almost 10% difference at this price range for basically the same thing. I also read that the 2018 TCLs have worse quality control than the 2017s and you really have to play panel roulette to not get one with significant banding. But it's hard to say definitively so who knows

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Also, recommend you spring like $30 (ish?) on nicer VESA mount legs for your TV if space is an issue.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

GF got the 2018 model TCL a month ago. The wide legs were an issue so we spent $30 on Amazon for some VESA middle leg and it works perfectly.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Funktor posted:

OK, one more question: Mounting brackets. What do I need to know? Can I reuse an old one? What if it's an old one that was used for a much smaller tv?

See what the bolt pattern is on the one you have and what the bolt pattern is on your prospective purchase. They’ll be listed like VESA 400x400 or whatever.

Good simple wall mounts really aren’t that expensive, fortunately.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Got my wall mount for 49 CAD, that's the full motion one and does up to some insane size/weight. That was from Amazon. I wouldn't buy anything else just for the tedium win inputs with a fixed mount. I got 3 small ones for my office too at $17 a pop

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

codo27 posted:

I got 3 small ones for my office too at $17 a pop

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

FistEnergy posted:

idiotic super wide feet

Sony moved to wide feet as well this year. It fits soundbars better. I agree it's frustrating if you're trying to put it on a narrower stand.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What budget TVs are recommended these days? I want something that’s 1080p (I don’t have anything that displays 4K), looks nice even with SD content, and has low input lag. I don’t need any smart features. I don’t mind buying used if it’s worth it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

There are no 1080p TV's anymore and no non-smart TV's.

Just get a TCL and who cares if you don't use that stuff.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does SD content look worse on 4K TVs than 1080p ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

Does SD content look worse on 4K TVs than 1080p ones?

That is tv specific. Check reviews like rtings for the model you are considering.