Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Went to a Taskmaster recording tonight. Seems like a very strong lineup going off one episode.

Also the fact they have to wear the exact same thing in every pre-recorded task has reached its logical conclusion with an incredibly poor choice of outfit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Sudden Javelin posted:

Went to a Taskmaster recording tonight. Seems like a very strong lineup going off one episode.

Also the fact they have to wear the exact same thing in every pre-recorded task has reached its logical conclusion with an incredibly poor choice of outfit

Going to guess Neil Wang's one-piece bodywarmer?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Hope that none of you hoping to watch Taskmaster on TV have Virgin Media cable because they're losing all the UKTV channels including Dave tomorrow. Adding Vice TV and Paramount which is almost a slap in the face. I'm sitting in a queue waiting for the cancellation guys to pick up myself right now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ookiimarukochan posted:

Hope that none of you hoping to watch Taskmaster on TV have Virgin Media cable because they're losing all the UKTV channels including Dave tomorrow. Adding Vice TV and Paramount which is almost a slap in the face. I'm sitting in a queue waiting for the cancellation guys to pick up myself right now.

More on that story.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Sudden Javelin posted:

drat. I've been looking out for when tickets became available again. Looks like I missed it.

As for losing Dave, it's a freeview channel so why would they remove it?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

licensing slapfight by the sounds of it

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Tsietisin posted:

As for losing Dave, it's a freeview channel so why would they remove it?

Liberty Media aren't doing great in Europe so Virgin have been cutting services/putting up prices. Their mobile phone prices doubled for the July billing period too so this was the 2nd cancellation call to them I've had to make in less than a month, ugh.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ugh we get the fights here, you’ll get scrolling messages going across the channels while you’re trying to watch a show about blaming the other show. At least Dave is on FreeView but I know that’s not always possible for people to get (my old flat was wired for Virgin with no antenna connections). Online streaming it is then.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Due to my car being in for repair, I've had to endure Radio 2 again. To summarise: Chris Evans is still doing the exact same show he did two years ago when I ditched it for good, right down to the stupid jingles and nicknames. Jeremy Vine is actually good, but holy poo poo is he as contrarian as gently caress. Ken Bruce is still a treasure, and Steve Wright blatantly gives no fucks. Also, it should be noted that across the whole of Radio 1 and Radio 2's daytime output (breakfast to drive time), one show is presented by a woman and one co-hosted by a woman. Yay for diversity!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Jeremy vine is a right gently caress. He belongs on talk radio where he can shout at people for a living.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ugh we get the fights here, you’ll get scrolling messages going across the channels while you’re trying to watch a show about blaming the other show. At least Dave is on FreeView but I know that’s not always possible for people to get (my old flat was wired for Virgin with no antenna connections). Online streaming it is then.

Streaming from UKPlayer to a TV isn't that easy.
I've been casting my desktop to the TV because there's no direct option on the player itself and my Smart TV hasn't got an app for UKTV. It also won't let you cast from a phone.

Annoying. And even then I can only cast to the chromecast and not the TV itself.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it’s amazing in 2018, things still aren’t as easy as it should be. I have the TVPlayer app for my Apple TV which doesn’t use geolocation and a DNS switcheroo is enough to get service outside the UK which is nice. I *think* Dave is on the free lineup there. Otherwise TVCatchup works well enough, and that doesn’t have any kind of geo stuff at all, so a useful backup until something popular is on and it falls apart.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Due to my car being in for repair, I've had to endure Radio 2 again. To summarise: Chris Evans is still doing the exact same show he did two years ago when I ditched it for good, right down to the stupid jingles and nicknames. Jeremy Vine is actually good, but holy poo poo is he as contrarian as gently caress. Ken Bruce is still a treasure, and Steve Wright blatantly gives no fucks. Also, it should be noted that across the whole of Radio 1 and Radio 2's daytime output (breakfast to drive time), one show is presented by a woman and one co-hosted by a woman. Yay for diversity!

Evans is awful. He actually interviewed one of his children on Monday. I listen to my local community radio station instead of them where possible (sadly, their transmitter isn't very strong, and the signal fades about 5 miles away from it)

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

Due to my car being in for repair, I've had to endure Radio 2 again. To summarise: Chris Evans is still doing the exact same show he did two years ago when I ditched it for good, right down to the stupid jingles and nicknames.

Does he still talk over a third of every song like he used to?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

goatface posted:

Jeremy vine is a right gently caress. He belongs on talk radio where he can shout at people for a living.

good god yes he is. On Wednesday he had a doctor on about some sort of hypothetical super virus and he kept talking over him. It was loving embarrassing

Angrymog posted:

Evans is awful. He actually interviewed one of his children on Monday. I listen to my local community radio station instead of them where possible (sadly, their transmitter isn't very strong, and the signal fades about 5 miles away from it)

I heard it, and it was even worse than anyone can imagine. His interview with Cher was also incredibly cringeworthy

Muppetjedi posted:

Does he still talk over a third of every song like he used to?

like gently caress he plays songs when he can talk endlessly about himself and his friends and his family and occasionally bring in the rest of the crew for 'bantz'

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
That Channel 4 and UKTV dont have Apple TV apps is a loving nightmare

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Channel 4 are allegedly working on something, but I’ve heard that for so long now. I remember before the BBC made their own one, a third party showed they could knock up something usable in a day. Not sure why this is so hard for C4, just reskin something from another platform.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

EL BROMANCE posted:

Channel 4 are allegedly working on something, but I’ve heard that for so long now. I remember before the BBC made their own one, a third party showed they could knock up something usable in a day. Not sure why this is so hard for C4, just reskin something from another platform.

How would they program a third party app to show forty five loving adverts for a twenty minute show?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I heard it, and it was even worse than anyone can imagine. His interview with Cher was also incredibly cringeworthy
I changed channel the moment I realised what was happening. re: the community radio station, their Saturday morning show is presented by actual children and is less infantile than Evans.

When I do tune to R2 in the mornings and Evans is on holiday, it's so nice.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Man, it's been nearly 10 years since Evans replaced Wogan.

I sometimes listened to Steve Wright back when I had occasion to drive in the afternoon. I always thought he was the most annoying one.

Isn't Ken Bruce retiring himself soon? I think I heard Sara Cox was meant to be taking over his slot? It would be cool if Craig Charles got a full-time slot on Radio 2. I like him a lot as a host.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Total Meatlove posted:

How would they program a third party app to show forty five loving adverts for a twenty minute show?

I remember when I had a Hulu plugin for XBMC, one of the options let you change the commercials to -1 and it would skip everything other than the video feed itself. Glorious when it'd be the same collection of 3 ads over and over again.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Total Meatlove posted:

... Apple ... is a loving nightmare

There you go.

I just run an HDMI cable from my desktop to my TV, why don't you people have proper computers.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

You can, like, do that from a Mac, man.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Unkempt posted:

There you go.

I just run an HDMI cable from my desktop to my TV, why don't you people have proper computers.

Because this is generally a crummy way to do things, and I did it with a dedicated PC just for that for years.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Wheat Loaf posted:

Man, it's been nearly 10 years since Evans replaced Wogan.

I sometimes listened to Steve Wright back when I had occasion to drive in the afternoon. I always thought he was the most annoying one.

Isn't Ken Bruce retiring himself soon? I think I heard Sara Cox was meant to be taking over his slot? It would be cool if Craig Charles got a full-time slot on Radio 2. I like him a lot as a host.

I got confused as gently caress the other day because I thought Terry Wogan was on the radio, but I was in the doctor's waiting room which has no phone reception so couldn't look it up. Nope, it was Ken Bruce.

Simon Mayo is probably the most annoying because I associate him with traffic jams and having a horribly long commute. Like Chris Evans, he seems to think it's funny to talk to kids on the phone. Just play some music and stop being cutesy.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

SEX BURRITO posted:

I got confused as gently caress the other day because I thought Terry Wogan was on the radio, but I was in the doctor's waiting room which has no phone reception so couldn't look it up. Nope, it was Ken Bruce.

A few years ago Rob Brydon hosted Ken Bruce's show and impersonated him for the duration. He also had Peter Serafinowicz call in as Terry Wogan and they got confused and ended up doing each others voices.

Also this https://youtu.be/zQ4q80YVdks

e: MORE T-WOG$ https://youtu.be/3z9uLdARaNU

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jul 21, 2018

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Who Is America? was fine, though it's telling that Showtime released the Kinderguardian stuff early because it's by far the best part of the show. The stuff with the art lady just made Cohen come off worse really. The same thing happened in BRUNO when he goes camping with a bunch of guys and has to push them way past the point of politeness just to get a reaction out of them because he wasn't getting what he wanted.

The interviews the art lady has done since have been pretty good though. She seems to be having a big laugh over it, even though she's slightly critical of how Cohen presented himself.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Kinderguardians was great, felt like absolute Brass Eye quality. The art lady party suffered from the fact that SBC had to keep going further and further because she really could not be fazed, thought she was fantastic.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Red Oktober posted:

Kinderguardians was great, felt like absolute Brass Eye quality. The art lady party suffered from the fact that SBC had to keep going further and further because she really could not be fazed, thought she was fantastic.

Philomena Cunk really shows how to make the fake interview work without any nastiness. It helps that most of her interviewees are either genuinely nice and patient people, or cotton on to what she;s doing and just humour her.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Red Oktober posted:

I'm kind of surprised they left it in really as it doesn't expose anything other than some people are just really decent. She did a pretty good interview over at Slate about it, though this part is a bit revealing.

quote:

There were a couple of times, also, where I would make a critical remark that they didn’t show in the final version. When that happened, I would see a kind of flare of anger in his eyes and I worried that he might be a violent, impulsive person. I guess it was all feigned, but certainly I was like, He might freak out, better not say that.

For the sake of art, not for the sake of my own ego—although it would probably appease that too—I wish I had the full footage of that interview, because we went on for like an hour and a half. We had these awesome conversations about art. Mostly, I was acting and putting on a show. I didn’t know what was going on. We were both playing our roles so well. I just wanted to be likable and pretty and fun and talkative.

https://slate.com/culture/2018/07/w...n_recirc_recent

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SEX BURRITO posted:

I always got Ken Bruce and Terry Wogan mixed up, but nobody else I mentioned it to ever heard it. :v:

quote:

Simon Mayo is probably the most annoying because I associate him with traffic jams and having a horribly long commute. Like Chris Evans, he seems to think it's funny to talk to kids on the phone. Just play some music and stop being cutesy.

Admittedly I haven't listened to Mayo's Radio 2 show in a while but I remember liking it. I think it's partly because a) I enjoy the show he and Kermode do on Five Live; and b) I always got the first half hour of it when I was younger, because I used to drive my sister to her ice-skating lessons and he'd come on when we were driving home and it was a colossal relief after Steve Wright.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Danny Wallace on XFM was hands down the best morning radio show for a good few years

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Unkempt posted:

There you go.

Because my desktop is upstairs and I live in a rented house.
Oh and also my PC case is so old that although my graphics card has a HDMI slot the case hasn't got a bit to line it up with.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Taear posted:

Oh and also my PC case is so old that although my graphics card has a HDMI slot the case hasn't got a bit to line it up with.

I'm...not sure how this works. If you have a graphics card it's not onboard graphics I assume; PCI slots have been a standard form factor since PCI came into existence (a decade before HDMI did).

If you're literally rocking a 486 (and not the last generation of those, since my first PC back in 1996 was a 486 with PCI slots) more power to you but maybe splash out for a Raspberry Pi or something at least? :shobon:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I always got Ken Bruce and Terry Wogan mixed up, but nobody else I mentioned it to ever heard it. :v:

Admittedly I haven't listened to Mayo's Radio 2 show in a while but I remember liking it. I think it's partly because a) I enjoy the show he and Kermode do on Five Live; and b) I always got the first half hour of it when I was younger, because I used to drive my sister to her ice-skating lessons and he'd come on when we were driving home and it was a colossal relief after Steve Wright.

I quite like Ken Bruce, who's just a slightly funny doddering uncle. Steve Wright has completely leaned into his Smashey and Nicey caricature and just run with it, and I can see why people hate it because even I thought it was tired when he was doing drivetime on Radio 1 back in the 80s. Mayo's still Mayo and the confessions are still the best thing

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

feedmegin posted:

I'm...not sure how this works. If you have a graphics card it's not onboard graphics I assume; PCI slots have been a standard form factor since PCI came into existence (a decade before HDMI did).

If you're literally rocking a 486 (and not the last generation of those, since my first PC back in 1996 was a 486 with PCI slots) more power to you but maybe splash out for a Raspberry Pi or something at least? :shobon:

The case is 20.
Everything in it is pretty modern but there's just no hole that I can line up with the card inside the case.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I got one of those. The case is from ~1999, still solid, but nothing quite lines up any more. I might finally replace it in a few months.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I like Mayo just because he does a good job of being Kermode's straight man.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I like Mayo just because he does a good job of being Kermode's straight man.

Especially this week while Kermode was busy melting down about Mamma Mia...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Can't stand the Confessions slot on afternoon drivetime though.