Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Ranter posted:

How much does a gourmet burger at the sydney airport cost?

From memory it was fourteen dollereedoos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
That's actually cheaper than I expected.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

iajanus posted:

Sydney terminal 2

poo poo yeah. Chur Burger isn't my favourite but it's definitely the best you're gonna do at Sydney Airport. Used to smash it when I worked in surry hills.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Big Willy Style posted:

poo poo yeah. Chur Burger isn't my favourite but it's definitely the best you're gonna do at Sydney Airport. Used to smash it when I worked in surry hills.

It's that or Roll'd there. Nothing else is edible.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Triple patty life

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

thread's back!

not sure why the right half is out of focus :shrug:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Blotto Skorzany posted:

If you decide to render your own tallow, do it outside to avoid the wrath of your wife/gf/SO.

Incidentally, you can just buy beef tallow. It's reasonably priced and typically comes in 1 quart containers. I use it for soapmaking, but the stuff the soap supply stores sell is food grade/edible and tastes fine.

Finally, if you know anybody who hunts deer, ask them to save both the true suet and the lacy fat in the abdominal cavity in a gallon ziploc for you. A lot of folks toss it out because they superstitiously think it doesn't taste good (part of this myth comes from confusion with intramuscular fat, which will sometimes taste gamey, depending on the deer's age, diet, and what was done with the carcass after field dressing), but in fact it tastes as good as anything as long as you get it cold in a reasonable timeframe and then render it down.

I'm rendering it down as we speak! I have it in the slow cooker and under the hood with the extractor going, no real smell problems. I'm also in Finland and I have never seen lard or tallow for sale in stores here.

(I was too lazy to make everything this finely chopped)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well the smell did come, and it doesn't go away when you use it either, made fries last night in it. So all in all I am not sure this was to my tastes over just plain vegetable oils.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

For those of you with a good smashburg game, turns out Turkey works pretty well for that same process. Hot steel, ball of meat, sizzle, smash, season, sear, flip (regard that maillard), season, cheese, cook, onto buns.

They went so fast there is no photographic evidence.

Also I did whole grilled sweet onion slices before the turkey burgs and drat son, they were good on dem burgs.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pile of burgs submitted for approval

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
gently caress just open my mouth and pour it in.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Bob Morales posted:

Feed me moar

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
What is this smashburg I keep hearing about? I've always just formed the patties and put them on the grill so I'm intrigued.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Blazing hot cast iron, 2oz ball of beef, toss into pan and smash to hell, flip and add cheese. Enjoy.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheCog posted:

What is this smashburg I keep hearing about? I've always just formed the patties and put them on the grill so I'm intrigued.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/03/the-food-lab-maximize-flavor-by-ultra-smashin.html

I just use a bench scraper for both smashing the patties, and scraping them free to flip.

Ginger Beer Belly fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 14, 2018

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

TheCog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3BN-qJzlHs

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Taught my parents how to smashburg today. Think I converted them. No pictures since they went too fast.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yeah, it is tough to beat a good smash burg.

And as always from the thread advice:

Buy something decent to smash them with. It makes a world of difference.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
It's been posted a few times in each burger thread but this thing is magic:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AQAYKC/?pldnSite=1

I press mine down with a mason jar, so the patties are under half an inch thick.

Smash on a flat metal surface like cast iron or pizza steel. Don't use a nonstick pan, you want to scrape the crust up.

E: also, don't use lean beef. 80/20 at the most, if you just can't find like, 70/30 (it's hard to find here)

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 17, 2018

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Fenrir posted:

It's been posted a few times in each burger thread but this thing is magic:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AQAYKC/?pldnSite=1

Seconding this exact one.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Moey posted:

Seconding this exact one.

It's a bit spendy on Amazon Canada but I pulled the trigger anyway.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Nth-ing that spatula, it is really excellent.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Also, use the back of the spatula to break the patty loose

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But be aware that linked spatula will not bend like the one in the above picture. I think it could support my weight. Truly an awesome spatula.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Another nice thing about that spatula is it has a very sharp beveled edge.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I haven't used that spatula above but I have used this since 2012 and it's by far my favorite spatula, perfect for cooking burgers
https://www.countryknives.com/shop-by-department/kitchen-and-professional/dexter-russell-s2496b-16140-6-x-2-offset-spatula/

And I just made a quick smash burger after getting home and I skipped all the seasoning and just fried it in pre-salted butter and oil. Man it came out good, the condiments give enough salt as is and the burger patty just had such a good, fresh meaty flavor, much more like what you get in a restaurant. I will be making burgers like this in the future, less is more.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

Also, use the back of the spatula to break the patty loose

That looks suspiciously like the Bon Appetit video where Carla makes some drat amazing looking smashburgs.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Midniter posted:

That looks suspiciously like the Bon Appetit video where Carla makes some drat amazing looking smashburgs.

It is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpnshdmtE2Y&t=5s

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
It was raining on Saturday so I made smashburgers for dinner. 12" cast iron skillet and my regular stainless spatula. Wife & kids loved 'em. I think I actually prefer doing it this way to grilling, they come out so juicy, and it's quick and convenient to boot.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Was going to cook smashburgs yesterday but wife had bought Pork and Apple patties.

Attempting to cook said patties resulted is a mushy pile of grey stodge.

I politely told her that only pork and apple sausages were permitted in our house from now on, and made a fried chicken sandwich instead.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

:sever: is the only recourse!

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Made smashburgers, with mozzarella cheese, fresh tomato and a little balsamic and they turned out super good.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
My burg flipper has arrived, gonna smash some burgs tonight real good.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I like onions.

And cheese.

And things that come in threes.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

get that in my mouth

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

daym

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dat tomato.

:allears:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MrYenko posted:

Dat tomato.

:allears:

I'm a firm believer that Herilooms are the one true God. All other tomatoes are just lesser beings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

PT6A posted:

My burg flipper has arrived, gonna smash some burgs tonight real good.

Update: the sides on my pan are too high to use the large burger smasher. gently caress me, right?