Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cursed image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

zoux posted:

Has anyone read Nightflyers? I loved Fevre Dream but that's the only non GoT GRRM I've read. I honestly preferred the steamboat and Mississippi stuff more than the vampire stuff.

Fevre Dream would make an incredible series imo

I've remember the 87 movie with it's not at all dated hairstyles:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Broadchurch: I have never had less sympathy for the mother of a murdered child than I do at this moment. What a ridiculous character.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lurdiak posted:

Broadchurch: I have never had less sympathy for the mother of a murdered child than I do at this moment. What a ridiculous character.

Which moment

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Which moment

The part where she causes a woman to get kidnapped by throwing a hissy fit at Olivia Colman in the street. Then her water breaks and she goes LOOK WHAT YOU DID GET AWAY FROM MEEEEE.

The insanely douchey boyfriend who gets killed at the start of Freddy vs Jason was a more nuanced character.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Lurdiak posted:

The part where she causes a woman to get kidnapped by throwing a hissy fit at Olivia Colman in the street. Then her water breaks and she goes LOOK WHAT YOU DID GET AWAY FROM MEEEEE.

The insanely douchey boyfriend who gets killed at the start of Freddy vs Jason was a more nuanced character.

Seeking redemption for that will be her arc on Dr Who

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lurdiak posted:

Lmao I forgot about that. It gets dumber

e: I liked season 1 but it did not need to keep going.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 20, 2018

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Remember when they did a remake for the US of Broadchurch that was almost a scene for scene remake with David Tennant?

That was dumb.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/adultswim/status/1020413199055769600?s=21

But it’s all moot because some MAGA troll will accuse the creators of transphobia (pointing at a joke from the second season) and get the show cancelled.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

lelandjs posted:

But it’s all moot because some MAGA troll will accuse the creators of transphobia (pointing at a joke from the second season) and get the show cancelled.

I don't think anyone cares that much about Venture Bros. And I say that as someone who thinks it's like, one of the best animated shows ever.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
However much we hate Trump and his ridiculous goons, and however much their involvement in the Gunn thing may infuriate me, can we not stoop so low as to defend a guy who made jokes about rape, trans people, and child-loving?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/1020416235308240896

aka Majel Barrett's role in the TOS pilot

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like, if someone has said or done something wrong then its wrong. Period. Taking their side and compromising your values because he's on your team is just not having values.

Yeah, the bad guy sometimes "wins" because he doesn't play fair. Being right is often harder than just doing whatever's convenient. That's why the other thing is convenient.

And in the grand scheme of things if the worst thing that happens here is that Mike Cernovich celebrates on twitter that he ruined GotG3 then that's a pretty inconsequential win in a much larger war.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

and Dean Stockwell's role on :bsg:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

STAC Goat posted:

Like, if someone has said or done something wrong then its wrong. Period. Taking their side and compromising your values because he's on your team is just not having values.

Yeah, the bad guy sometimes "wins" because he doesn't play fair. Being right is often harder than just doing whatever's convenient. That's why the other thing is convenient.

And in the grand scheme of things if the worst thing that happens here is that Mike Cernovich celebrates on twitter that he ruined GotG3 then that's a pretty inconsequential win in a much larger war.

That's not the worst thing that can happen here, chuds are going to use this to push out anyone they dislike.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Arist posted:

That's not the worst thing that can happen here, chuds are going to use this to push out anyone they dislike.

They already did it to two female devs at ArenaNet

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Rocksicles posted:

How the hell did Cloak and Dagger end up being the best written marvel show?

The people in charge don't watch it because it's on Freeform and can't muck it up as a result.

I like the show too.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Don't listen to bad faith arguments.

James Gunn very obviously evolved in his humor.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

However much we hate Trump and his ridiculous goons, and however much their involvement in the Gunn thing may infuriate me, can we not stoop so low as to defend a guy who made jokes about rape, trans people, and child-loving?

Years ago, and he had already apologized for it before today. He admitted that they were dumb and stupid and he regretted it.

And then he pissed off Mike Cernovich and all this shitstorm started.

Popular culture today is a lot different today than it was five years ago, and far different than it was five years before that, etc, etc. People were still using “gay” and “jewed” and “retard” as insults when I was in high school from 2002-2006 (I never did, for what it’s worth).

And people today still make jokes like this, like, all the time. Have you been in GBS or FYAD recently? That doesn’t make any of this right, of course, but it’s important to recognize that people as a whole are still working on being politically correct, and that there are plenty of people who have said things in the past that they no longer believe and in fact regret. To go back to the Venture Bros. thing: I love Venture Bros. It’s probably my favorite show. But there are some jokes in the first couple seasons that... are questionable when rewatching it in 2018. The creators recognize it, and acknowledge it, and more recent seasons have been more socially conscious. They recognize that they were wrong and have atoned.

Finally, this whole thing was NOT in good faith. At all. Again, people who actually cared that James Gunn tweeted those things called him out about it already, he addressed the concerns and apologized, and everything was settled UNTIL Gunn personally insulted a MAGA CHUD on Twitter yesterday. Then the alt-right blew up Twitter with their “concerns” and whelp now Gunn’s fired.

That’s what happened, that’s why it’s bullshit, and I hate every loving thing about this whole situation.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 20, 2018

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

“When they go low we go high” led us to Donald Trump. I'm not saying we have to abandon our principles, but I also dunno what the solution is. But there has to be a way to not let alt right trolls weaponize our own morals in sevice of their disgusting narratives

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

zoux posted:

so Peter Fries is female now

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

zoux posted:

It was a female dev (who imo was in the wrong w/r/t her responses to a polite customer on twitter, but 100% should not have been immediately fired over it) and a male dev who defended her who got canned.

The James Gunn thing is loving stupid b/c he's apologized more than once and afaik hasn't been in the habit of making edgelord jokes like that on social media since. This whole #cancelled BS when people go digging through old poo poo people may have already moved on and changed from is hella hosed up.

Like digging through twitter to find a pattern if someone is currently saying hosed up poo poo is one thing. Digging through to find poo poo that person did but grew up since is a bit much.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

less laughter posted:

so Peter Fries is female now

I don’t know who that is

esperterra posted:

It was a female dev (who imo was in the wrong w/r/t her responses to a polite customer on twitter, but 100% should not have been immediately fired over it) and a male dev who defended her who got canned

My bad I guess I just assumed it was two women because it were Gamergate Nazis what done it

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Peter Fries is one of the two devs Arenanet canned after reddit mob called for 'justice'.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

zoux posted:

I don’t know who that is

The other Anet writer/dev who got fired for the "insulting someone trying to give constructive criticism" incident. I have no idea what he said in relation to it.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 20, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

“When they go low we go high” led us to Donald Trump. I'm not saying we have to abandon our principles, but I also dunno what the solution is. But there has to be a way to not let alt right trolls weaponize our own morals in sevice of their disgusting narratives

It all comes down to realizing that it’s impossible to hold other people to the same standards as you. The best you can do to inspire change is to educate. Instead of calling for someone’s head because they said stupid things, tell them why the things they said were stupid (and do it nicely). If they refuse to change, then gently caress them, let them burn their bridges. But shutting down or punishing people for what they say or believe isn’t going to change them, it’s just going to make them more set in their views. You don’t just wake up woke one day, you learn by example.

Source: me, a former idiot who didn’t understand privilege and thought “PC Culture” was dumb until... 2012ish when he got some cool friends that were socially conscious and had the patience and kindness to reform me.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 20, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m going to go to bed but can y’all please have stopped defending child-loving jokes by the time I wake up? The dude was in his 40s when he wrote them. There is no excuse you can make that will convince me it was ok, and no defence you can give that won’t make me think less of you. We all hate Trump, but that doesn’t mean we have to defend anyone who’s “on our side” for literally loving anything.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m going to go to bed but can y’all please have stopped defending child-loving jokes by the time I wake up? The dude was in his 40s when he wrote them. There is no excuse you can make that will convince me it was ok, and no defence you can give that won’t make me think less of you. We all hate Trump, but that doesn’t mean we have to defend anyone who’s “on our side” for literally loving anything.

Why do you need to go to bed? You’re already obviously very woke already.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

lelandjs posted:

Why do you need to go to bed? You’re already obviously very woke already.

That joke didn't make any sense.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

“Good luck falling asleep being that woke” works better, yes I am available to punch up anyones posts for a reasonable fee

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

“Good luck falling asleep being that woke” works better, yes I am available to punch up anyones posts for a reasonable fee

gently caress, you’re right. I tend to word salad when phone posting.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m going to go to bed but can y’all please have stopped defending child-loving jokes by the time I wake up? The dude was in his 40s when he wrote them. There is no excuse you can make that will convince me it was ok

It is OK to make jokes about literally anything. That doesn't mean they're in good taste, or a good idea, but I'm also not convinced that former Troma films alumni James Gunn making shocking jokes is anything we should even be talking about. Have you seen Troma movies?

The jokes he made, I mean, they're pretty bad. As in, they're not funny, and they're in bad taste. But it seems equally clear they were not coming from a place of hate. The obsession the media has with demonizing people for what they say, rather than for their actions, is pretty yikes territory.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Apparently Buffy the Vampire Slayer's being rebooted

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Davros1 posted:

Apparently Buffy the Vampire Slayer's being rebooted

I feel like they say that every other year. I'll believe it when it's airing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think this sums up my opinion on the whole situation.
https://twitter.com/kept_simple/status/1020399046475886594

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
They were more than just a little gross.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh poo poo, they just announced Frances McDormand is playing God in Good Omens! What a loving cast in that show, my god.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

His jokes were disgusting and I'm not going to defend those, but I do believe that he sincerely moved on from it and changed and stopped doing it after he apologized the first time. The culture around jokes like that has changed a lot and quickly w/ the rise of the internet and social media and I think it's silly to can him over it, especially when it's something he doesn't seem to do at all any more. But I also don't really care who directs Marvel movies and I'm sure his career will be fine w/ those first two Guardians flicks under his belt so

It's just incredibly stupid how this came about.

e: re: good omens holy gently caress I just took a peek at that cast. gently caress yes Miranda Richardson

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wait so he's not an actual pedophile? He made jokes about being a pedophile? I'm confused about this whole situation :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The tweets were lovely, edgelord stuff that would be garbage even from a teenager.

Disney absolutely knew about them years ago and fired him for PR.

Cernovich is a piece of crap who misrepresented them to make them seem even worse.